RealGM
And1: 3,347

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Now that this thread has been sitting on the shelf for a couple years and running, I'm wondering and interested in what everyone's response is to this contract. And not just Cowboy fans. I love the objective outsider's opinion and view as much. Most everyone in here knows how I feel so I will let you all take over from here.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,801

Post#22 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Objectively I think & this is a BIG IF you make it to the Super Bowl this year AND Next year & win 1 of those it will be worth it.
Look at Matt Stafford for example not sure what his contract is but was almost a one & done but was worth it cos they got the Super Bowl win. (have TONS of friends & family that are Cowboys fans, Denise D, Junior, my cousin Nik, my buddy Kevin M, Dave R just to name a few. So usually rooting for them outside of when they play the Raiders obv. (or the Seahawks & Eagles cos I have friends of those teams as well oh & the DA Bears. In those instances I hope for a tie)).
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:22 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Now that this thread has been sitting on the shelf for a couple years and running, I'm wondering and interested in what everyone's response is to this contract. And not just Cowboy fans. I love the objective outsider's opinion and view as much. Most everyone in here knows how I feel so I will let you all take over from here.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

His cap number hasn't been an issue so far. But I see that it takes a significant jump next season ($59,455,000). It looks like they've already re-structured his deal previously. The contract technically voids in 2025. But there's still a cap charge ($25,455,000) for that year.

Cap Hits by year:

2024: $59,455,000
2025: $25,455,000
2026: $11,005,000

If you lower his cap number in 2024, it increases the number in 2025/26. So the team does have options. But it really comes down to whether or not they want to take the hit sooner or spread it out.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#24 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:06 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Now that this thread has been sitting on the shelf for a couple years and running, I'm wondering and interested in what everyone's response is to this contract. And not just Cowboy fans. I love the objective outsider's opinion and view as much. Most everyone in here knows how I feel so I will let you all take over from here.

His cap number hasn't been an issue so far. But I see that it takes a significant jump next season ($59,455,000). It looks like they've already re-structured his deal previously. The contract technically voids in 2025. But there's still a cap charge ($25,455,000) for that year.

Cap Hits by year:

If you lower his cap number in 2024, it increases the number in 2025/26. So the team does have options. But it really comes down to whether or not they want to take the hit sooner or spread it out.

Year ‘25 and ‘26 are voided years. They will automatically be voided from what I believe. He will be an UFA and the Cowboys cannot franchise him again unless they give him a new contract. They will have to eat the $59.4M cap hit in ‘24 though.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:13 am

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Cap Hits by year:

Year ‘25 and ‘26 are voided years. They will automatically be voided from what I believe. He will be an UFA and the Cowboys cannot franchise him again unless they give him a new contract. They will have to eat the $59.4M cap hit in ‘24 though.

Those are voided years. But he will still carry a cap hit that will count towards their cap in both of those years. Even if he's no longer on the roster.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:19 am

So the real question moving forward based on this contract and Dak's performance in this time span, is it worth to keep him and give him an extension, or to move on from?
Mr B
RealGM

Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#27 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:24 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

Cap Hits by year:

Those are voided years. But he will still carry a cap hit that will count towards their cap in both of those years. Even if he's no longer on the roster.

Yea you’re right but if they are paying a young QB rookie money the $25M and $11M cap hits are affordable.

Correction: if they cut/trade Dak after the ‘24 season or if the contract is voided the Cowboys will have a dead cap number of $36.4M in 2025 and they will be free from Dak.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:30 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:So the real question moving forward based on this contract and Dak's performance in this time span, is it worth to keep him and give him an extension, or to move on from?

If/when he fails again early in the playoffs it’s time to move on. They HAVE to have him for 1 more season. After that though they can let him walk with an affordable cap hit. I made a mistake in my last post (I will correct it). If they let him walk after the ‘24 season they will have a dead cap number of $36.4M in 2025. A steep hit but not impossible to withstand.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:34 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:So the real question moving forward based on this contract and Dak's performance in this time span, is it worth to keep him and give him an extension, or to move on from?

If/when he fails again early in the playoffs it’s time to move on. They HAVE to have him for 1 more season. After that though they can let him walk with an affordable cap hit. I made a mistake in my last post (I will correct it). If they let him walk after the ‘24 season they will have a dead cap number of $36.4M in 2025. A steep hit but not impossible to withstand.

So the immediate thing we have to worry about is Jerry giving Dak an extension basically? Otherwise we can move on after next year. I just want to get this nightmare over with as soon as possible. I don't care what kind of talent they put around Dak. He needs to go. This team will never, and I mean never go anywhere with this guy. Total suck job.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#30 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:40 am

You know my stance.

He has one year left on his deal & you can't use the tag on him. So, I would look to move him this offseason. Shop him to the highest bidder. Use those picks to move up for a QB in the upcoming draft. There are three impact guys at the top of the draft. Williams, Maye & Daniels. Penix is the 4th. But his medical will likely scare most teams off. But the goal should be to target one of them.

I would not commit to Dak long-term. Based on the contract that he would receive. The math just doesn't work. It's hard enough to build & keep together a strong roster that will compete. It makes sense if you have someone who's considered elite. But we know Dak isn't that dude by himself. You pay him, and it takes away from the rest of the roster. That's just how it works.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:42 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

So the immediate thing we have to worry about is Jerry giving Dak an extension basically? Otherwise we can move on after next year. I just want to get this nightmare over with as soon as possible. I don't care what kind of talent they put around Dak. He needs to go. This team will never, and I mean never go anywhere with this guy. Total suck job.

The team has to be willing to eat that huge cap hit in ‘24. And we have to hope Jerry doesn’t extend his contract. If we can survive those two things then yes we can get away from Dak after next season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:44 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

You know my stance.

He has one year left on his deal & you can't use the tag on him. So, I would look to move him this offseason. Shop him to the highest bidder. Use those picks to move up for a QB in the upcoming draft. There are three impact guys at the top of the draft. Williams, Maye & Daniels. Penix is the 4th. But his medical will likely scare most teams off. But the goal should be to target one of them.

I would not commit to Dak long-term. Based on the contract that he would receive. The math just doesn't work. It's hard enough to build & keep together a strong roster that will compete. It makes sense if you have someone who's considered elite. But we know Dak isn't that dude by himself. You pay him, and it takes away from the rest of the roster. That's just how it works.

Love your thinking here. Would love to pull off what you just posted. Getting rid of Dak this upcoming season would give me hope again. I just want to get rid of the loser so we don't have to have this discussion again after next season. 4 straight years of this discussion after every year is getting beyond old.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#33 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:If/when he fails again early in the playoffs it’s time to move on. They HAVE to have him for 1 more season. After that though they can let him walk with an affordable cap hit. I made a mistake in my last post (I will correct it). If they let him walk after the ‘24 season they will have a dead cap number of $36.4M in 2025. A steep hit but not impossible to withstand.

The team has to be willing to eat that huge cap hit in ‘24. And we have to hope Jerry doesn’t extend his contract. If we can survive those two things then yes we can get away from Dak after next season.

You can realistically move him this offseason (trade) & split the dead money over two years. $25M in 2024 & $35M in 2025. Which is manageable.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:52 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:So the immediate thing we have to worry about is Jerry giving Dak an extension basically? Otherwise we can move on after next year. I just want to get this nightmare over with as soon as possible. I don't care what kind of talent they put around Dak. He needs to go. This team will never, and I mean never go anywhere with this guy. Total suck job.

You can realistically move him this offseason (trade) & split the dead money over two years. Which is manageable.

Patriots, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Seahawks, Colts, Saints, Steelers all need QB's. Hopefully one or more of them will bite and take the scum bag off our hands.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:02 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:The team has to be willing to eat that huge cap hit in ‘24. And we have to hope Jerry doesn’t extend his contract. If we can survive those two things then yes we can get away from Dak after next season.

You can realistically move him this offseason (trade) & split the dead money over two years. Which is manageable.

Patriots, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Seahawks, Colts, Saints, Steelers all need QB's. Hopefully one or more of them will bite and take the scum bag off our hands.

I could see teams like the Vikings & Raiders having interest. Maybe the Steelers?

The Giants are already stuck with Daniel Jones & his contract, so they're out. Same with Wilson & Denver. The Colts are committed to Richardson. The Bears will have the #1 pick.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#36 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:You can realistically move him this offseason (trade) & split the dead money over two years. Which is manageable.

I could see teams like the Vikings & Raiders having interest. Maybe the Steelers?

The Giants are already stuck with Daniel Jones & his contract, so they're out. Same with Wilson & Denver. The Colts are committed to Richardson. The Bears will have the #1 pick.

How about Seattle? Dak would be a great fit for you guys. :thumbsup: Oopps, I forgot, Geno>>>>>>Dak.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,324

Post#37 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:20 pm

If the Cowboys let Dak walk, they’d be in rebuild mode?

Because they don’t have a great running game so essentially they’d have a big question mark at QB unless a rookie plays great right away.

So would they extend Lamb or Parsons if they’re no longer a contender?

But the key question is, will Jerry accept going into rebuild? At his age?

Dak may not be good enough to win a Superbowl but they have no replacement in sight so are they ready to blow it up? It would be surprising if Jerry is ever going to accept that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#38 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:39 pm

wco81 wrote:If the Cowboys let Dak walk, they’d be in rebuild mode?

Because they don’t have a great running game so essentially they’d have a big question mark at QB unless a rookie plays great right away.

Dak may not be good enough to win a Superbowl but they have no replacement in sight so are they ready to blow it up? It would be surprising if Jerry is ever going to accept that.

Dak has to go. Been trying to give him the boot for the third year in a row now. So I am in favor of a rebuild. Cowboys will never win with Dak. You are spot on with Jerry however. He is a total baffoon. Should make good t.v. and drama and all the haters can continue to make fun of us for years to come if they decide to keep Prescott.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#39 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:51 pm

If they pay Dak, it caps their ceiling. The more money that goes towards Dak, the worse off they'll be. Going with a younger guy doesn't do that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,324

Post#40 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:06 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

If they pay Dak, it caps their ceiling. The more money that goes towards Dak, the worse off they'll be. Going with a younger guy doesn't do that.

But if the young guy isn’t as good as Dak, what does more cap space do for you? Is the roster good enough without at least a Pro Bowl QB to even get into the playoffs.

Yeah you can question if a player is worth the huge contracts he gets but the reality is, QBs get those contracts whether or not they take their teams to the SB.

Same thing in the NBA you have many players getting $40 million a year contracts and some of them can’t even get their teams to the playoffs every season.

Cowboys have more money than any other NFL team. But the NFL isn’t like the MLB where the richest team can monopolize the best players. Still, QBs have outsized impact on the fortunes of a team so if they want to keep winning, they may have no choice but to keep their Pro Bowl QB.

Otherwise they’d be paying a lot of money for players like Lamb and Parsons and hoping a young QB can take them to the SB.

Return to The General NFL Board