Dak Prescott thread 

Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Mar 9, 2021 12:08 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m ($42m AAV- first 3 years) 

Post#2 » by hermes » Tue Mar 9, 2021 3:30 am

good for dak

although at the rate of qb instability we're having he'll want out in two years
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#3 » by Pharmcat » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:04 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

wco81 wrote:Probably backloaded so that lower cap numbers in the first couple of seasons than if they franchise tagged him this upcoming season?

Read on Twitter

looks to me dak got everything he wanted, not sure why dallas prolonged this if they gave him what he wanted anyways in the end. Seems to me other than getting this as a 6 year deal that voids after 4 to help with the salary cap, Dallas got taken to the cleaners in this deal.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#4 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:18 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

wco81 wrote:Probably backloaded so that lower cap numbers in the first couple of seasons than if they franchise tagged him this upcoming season?

Read on Twitter

looks to me dak got everything he wanted, not sure why dallas prolonged this if they gave him what he wanted anyways in the end. Seems to me other than getting this as a 6 year deal that voids after 4 to help with the salary cap, Dallas got taken to the cleaners in this deal.

Not exactly when you look at the deal. They actually lowered his cap hit to $22.5M I believe. Push the money back to the 4th year when they will like extend him and it’s actually a pretty good deal for Dallas. They’re paying Dak less to start for them than the Eagles are paying Wentz to start for the Colts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:07 am

Mr B wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Not exactly when you look at the deal. They actually lowered his cap hit to $22.5M I believe. Push the money back to the 4th year when they will like extend him and it’s actually a pretty good deal for Dallas. They’re paying Dak less to start for them than the Eagles are paying Wentz to start for the Colts.

it doesnt really matter to dak what the cap hit is, as long as he gets his money. He got his money. He's making 40 million in year 3 and 4 counting towards the cap, he's not worth that much.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:39 am

Pharmcat wrote:it doesnt really matter to dak what the cap hit is, as long as he gets his money. He got his money. He's making 40 million in year 3 and 4 counting towards the cap, he's not worth that much.

Maybe not today. But in a year or two, it could look like a bargain. The Cap will grow.
Mr B
RealGM

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#7 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:06 am

Pharmcat wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

it doesnt really matter to dak what the cap hit is, as long as he gets his money. He got his money. He's making 40 million in year 3 and 4 counting towards the cap, he's not worth that much.

It may not matter to Dak what his cap hit is because he is getting paid either way. The cap hit though is ultimately what matters when it comes to building your team. The fact that they lowered his cap hit by $15M is huge. Also from what I’ve been reading this might actually be the best contract in the NFL (for player and team).

Obviously this is great for Dak. But it’s also great for the team because this is actually a 6 year contract. The last two years are voidable and Dak will never see those last 2 years. They are put on there though because it allows the Cowboys to push that money to the back end. Dak will play about 3 years on this contract and as long as he produces they will sign him to an extension and void the last 2 years of the deal (again a 6 year contract). They will give him another huge signing bonus and push the money further back. The only time this is going to bite the Cowboys in the ass is when Dak retires.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#8 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:13 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:it doesnt really matter to dak what the cap hit is, as long as he gets his money. He got his money. He's making 40 million in year 3 and 4 counting towards the cap, he's not worth that much.

Maybe not today. But in a year or two, it could look like a bargain. The Cap will grow.

That’s what’s expected. There will be a huge jump in the cap in 2022 and 2023 because of the new tv deal and then because of gambling. This contract is not going to be a hinderance to the Cowboys at all.

Also the next crop of QB’s to get paid are all going to start their negotiations with Dak’s contract. Jackson, Baker, and Josh Allen will likely all get contracts within the next 2 years that are higher than Dak’s.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,486

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:40 am

hermes wrote:good for dak

Yeah, I see this following the path of the huge Carson Wentz contract.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:
hermes wrote:good for dak

Yeah, I see this following the path of the huge Carson Wentz contract.

Only problem with that theory, Dak>>>>>>>>>>>Wentz

The problem with Wentz & his contract was that he massively regressed.

Will the contract limit Dallas' ability to keep the roster intact? Yes. When a QB gets payed top dollar, that means there's less money to round out the roster. That's just how it goes. But I don't see Dak regressing to the levels that Wentz did. Will he live up to the contract? Only time will tell.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,328

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Elliot's contract is the problem. This is the final year of his contract. 24 million.Talk about not worth it. Can't wait to release his dirty, no good ass after this season. If it wasn't for the 24 million dollar cap hit, I'd send his ass on the way out the door yesterday.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:55 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Elliot's contract is the problem. This is the final year of his contract. 24 million.Talk about not worth it. Can't wait to release his dirty, no good ass after this season. If it wasn't for the 24 million dollar cap hit, I'd send his ass on the way out the door yesterday.

He signed a 6 year extension.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Elliot's contract is the problem. This is the final year of his contract. 24 million.Talk about not worth it. Can't wait to release his dirty, no good ass after this season. If it wasn't for the 24 million dollar cap hit, I'd send his ass on the way out the door yesterday.

I thought this was Elliot's last year of his contract. I guess I got my numbers and years screwed up then. What a joke of a contract. Another of Jerry's awesome contracts and moves. Someone has to get Jerry off the sauce.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I thought this was Elliot's last year of his contract. I guess I got my numbers screwed up then.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:He signed a 6 year extension.

I thought this was Elliot's last year of his contract. I guess I got my numbers screwed up then.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Its still not worth it. Talk about a mistake.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:10 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Another of Jerry's awesome contracts and moves. Someone has to get Jerry off the sauce.

So are you a fan of Dak's deal or no?
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#17 » by goober » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:08 pm

I hate the Cowboys but I love Dak, and am glad he got paid
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Another of Jerry's awesome contracts and moves. Someone has to get Jerry off the sauce.

So are you a fan of Dak's deal or no?

Are you kidding me?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm

The Cowboys won’t be able to move from Zeke’s contract until after the 2022 season. Unless they trade him. I don’t see why a team would want to trade for Zeke though. If the Cowboys shore up the OL (or if they just stay healthy) Zeke actually should still be pretty productive, especially combined with Pollard.

The way Dak’s contract is structured I’m not worried about the cap. They already have some good young offensive weapons. Now they won’t be able to keep everyone which is why I expect they will move Amari Cooper. Lamb will transition into the #1 WR and they will resign Gallup. I suspect that Stephen Jones also has his eyes set on Pitts this year in the draft. For the record I’m not on board with Pitts, I want one of the CB’s or Rashawn Slater.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Mr B wrote:

The Cowboys won’t be able to move from Zeke’s contract until after the 2022 season. Unless they trade him. I don’t see why a team would want to trade for Zeke though. If the Cowboys shore up the OL (or if they just stay healthy) Zeke actually should still be pretty productive, especially combined with Pollard.

The way Dak’s contract is structured I’m not worried about the cap. They already have some good young offensive weapons. Now they won’t be able to keep everyone which is why I expect they will move Amari Cooper. Lamb will transition into the #1 WR and they will resign Gallup. I suspect that Stephen Jones also has his eyes set on Pitts this year in the draft. For the record I’m not on board with Pitts, I want one of the CB’s or Rashawn Slater.

I'd go OL or linebacker with our first pick. But the Jones boys never go after what I want.

Return to The General NFL Board