Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,296

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#961 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm

Dak going to bring back even one FRP?

He's due for a huge expansion.

In the NBA, teams would have to send FRPs with an expensive player to get another team to take him.

Teams with big QB contracts will struggle to remain contenders. They need players on rookie contracts to produce and ideally, QBs on rookie contracts to produce.

So I don't know how eager teams would be to give up a lot of draft assets for a chance to pay Dak $60 million plus a year.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,075

Post#962 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Mr B wrote:I would draft Troy Fantanu at 13 and then trade up from 26 for Graham Barton. That would completely solve the OL issues.

They would still have #44 and #56 to add to the defense and/or draft their RB.

But if we traded back from #13 we can get an extra 2nd round pick, get Barton and either of the guys you like, JP-J or Zack Frasier in the first round and accomplish the same thing. Then with that extra 2nd round pick and take Cooper and then with our regular pick take that RB Jonathan Brooks that you guys all like. :D

Where do you expect to play Barton? He can play tackle but most experts project him as a Guard or Center. So if they Draft Barton there is no need for JPJ or Zach Frazier. Picking up an extra 2nd would be good however I’d rather go with the elite OT prospect in Troy Fautanu then trade back up for Barton so can play Center.
Mr B
RealGM

Dak Prescott thread 

Post#963 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:37 pm

wco81 wrote:Dak going to bring back even one FRP?

He's due for a huge expansion.

In the NBA, teams would have to send FRPs with an expensive player to get another team to take him.

Teams with big QB contracts will struggle to remain contenders. They need players on rookie contracts to produce and ideally, QBs on rookie contracts to produce.

So I don't know how eager teams would be to give up a lot of draft assets for a chance to pay Dak $60 million plus a year.

The NFL is different than the NBA. The most important position in the NFL is the QB. If you have an elite QB you have a chance. Having an elite QB in the NFL is like having a true max player in the NBA. Acquiring Dak in a trade (even if he’s owed a new contract) would be like an NBA team on the cusp of winning being able to acquire Embiid even though he needs to be paid.

If Embiid were on the open market as an unrestricted free agent do you think he would have any suitors wanting to sign him?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#964 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:39 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:They would still have #44 and #56 to add to the defense and/or draft their RB.

But if we traded back from #13 we can get an extra 2nd round pick, get Barton and either of the guys you like, JP-J or Zack Frasier in the first round and accomplish the same thing. Then with that extra 2nd round pick and take Cooper and then with our regular pick take that RB Jonathan Brooks that you guys all like. :D

Where do you expect to play Barton? He can play tackle but most experts project him as a Guard or Center. So if they Draft Barton there is no need for JPJ or Zach Frazier. Picking up an extra 2nd would be good however I’d rather go with the elite OT prospect in Troy Fautanu then trade back up for Barton so can play Center.

I was trying to get the guy I really like in Barton and you convinced me a couple weeks ago we also needed a center so I was trying to figure out a way to make us both happy. I was also assuming T. Smith would be moved to LT.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#965 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:But if we traded back from #13 we can get an extra 2nd round pick, get Barton and either of the guys you like, JP-J or Zack Frasier in the first round and accomplish the same thing. Then with that extra 2nd round pick and take Cooper and then with our regular pick take that RB Jonathan Brooks that you guys all like. :D

I was trying to get the guy I really like in Barton and you convinced me a couple weeks ago we also needed a center so I was trying to figure out a way to make us both happy. I was also assuming T. Smith would be moved to LT.

The Cowboys have made it clear that they do not want to move Tyler Smith to LT. First is because he’s just better at LG. Also the Cowboys do not want to have to start 2 rookies on the OL playing next to each other. Keeping Smith at LG allows him to help whoever they draft at Center and whoever they draft at LT.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,160

Post#966 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Where do you expect to play Barton? He can play tackle but most experts project him as a Guard or Center. So if they Draft Barton there is no need for JPJ or Zach Frazier. Picking up an extra 2nd would be good however I’d rather go with the elite OT prospect in Troy Fautanu then trade back up for Barton so can play Center.

The Cowboys have made it clear that they do not want to move Tyler Smith to LT. First is because he’s just better at LG. Also the Cowboys do not want to have to start 2 rookies on the OL playing next to each other. Keeping Smith at LG allows him to help whoever they draft at Center and whoever they draft at LT.

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, Tyler was near flawless at LT as a rookie.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#967 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Here is the reported Dak trade rumor. I would be all over this.

I saw that a while back. Like you, I'm all over it. Then I trade back that #13 pick, go back as far as I need to to draft Graham Barton and try and gain another pick in round #2. Then with our regular 24th pick, take that center you like. That would take care of our O-line issues in the first round.
I also saw a few other scenarios that were similar a couple weeks ago with the Raiders trading for Dak if he would waive his no trade clause. At the moment I can't remember where I saw those. Some mock draft expert went out on the limb and said there would be a blockbuster trade on draft night and that it would include the Raiders trading Dak for picks.

I would draft Troy Fantanu at 13 and then trade up from 26 for Graham Barton. That would completely solve the OL issues.

Yes, but we can also move back, still get Barton and Mimms and get another 2nd round pick as well.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,160

Post#968 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:05 pm

Tyler Smith was PFF's #1 overall offensive lineman when he played LT. He is also just built like a LT, he's tall at 6'5". Guards are bit more short and squatty.

Anyway, he needs to be playing LT, it's where he belongs.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#969 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:05 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Where do you expect to play Barton? He can play tackle but most experts project him as a Guard or Center. So if they Draft Barton there is no need for JPJ or Zach Frazier. Picking up an extra 2nd would be good however I’d rather go with the elite OT prospect in Troy Fautanu then trade back up for Barton so can play Center.

I was unaware of that. Most of the mocks and experts I've seen have Barton as a Tackle. So how about this; Trade the #9 pick to the Steelers and move back to #20 for their 2nd round pick. Take Barton with #20 pick and then take Payton Wilson with our 24th pick to finish out round 1. Then with that extra pick from Pittsburgh, #34, take Zach Frasier.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#970 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm

This trade is our way out and best for both parties moving forward. Raiders are in desperate need of a QB. If we can pull this off next season could turn out to be a lot better than I thought. I'm all over this trade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#971 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:00 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I was trying to get the guy I really like in Barton and you convinced me a couple weeks ago we also needed a center so I was trying to figure out a way to make us both happy. I was also assuming T. Smith would be moved to LT.

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, Tyler was near flawless at LT as a rookie.

The fact that he made 2nd team All Pro at LG is how they came to that conclusion. It’s very similar to what they did with Larry Allen.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#972 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Tyler Smith was PFF's #1 overall offensive lineman when he played LT. He is also just built like a LT, he's tall at 6'5". Guards are bit more short and squatty.

Anyway, he needs to be playing LT, it's where he belongs.

I think if he was going to play there long term they would have moved him there once Tyron was out for a few games last year. Also like I said they have mentioned that they don’t want to play two rookies side by side.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#973 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I was trying to get the guy I really like in Barton and you convinced me a couple weeks ago we also needed a center so I was trying to figure out a way to make us both happy. I was also assuming T. Smith would be moved to LT.

I was unaware of that. Most of the mocks and experts I've seen have Barton as a Tackle. So how about this; Trade the #9 pick to the Steelers and move back to #20 for their 2nd round pick. Take Barton with #20 pick and then take Payton Wilson with our 24th pick to finish out round 1. Then with that extra pick from Pittsburgh, #34, take Zach Frasier.

Again, kind of surprised you would even consider Payton Wilson considering he’s as gimpy as Sean Lee. He won’t finish the season nor will he have a long career. I’d be surprised if he’s ever healthy by the time the playoffs roll around.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 329

Post#974 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 pm

Yeah, because it's a crazy overpay.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#975 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Cowboys have made it clear that they do not want to move Tyler Smith to LT. First is because he’s just better at LG. Also the Cowboys do not want to have to start 2 rookies on the OL playing next to each other. Keeping Smith at LG allows him to help whoever they draft at Center and whoever they draft at LT.

Again, kind of surprised you would even consider Payton Wilson considering he’s as gimpy as Sean Lee. He won’t finish the season nor will he have a long career. I’d be surprised if he’s ever healthy by the time the playoffs roll around.

I was just considering a need position in this scenario. I still much prefer E. Cooper in the second round. I guess finishing up the O-line is the best play for us in round round unless Penix Jr. is there and you think he is a shot we should take.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#976 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:

It’s right in line with what the Broncos got for Russell Wilson. Dak is 5 years younger than Wilson.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#977 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I was unaware of that. Most of the mocks and experts I've seen have Barton as a Tackle. So how about this; Trade the #9 pick to the Steelers and move back to #20 for their 2nd round pick. Take Barton with #20 pick and then take Payton Wilson with our 24th pick to finish out round 1. Then with that extra pick from Pittsburgh, #34, take Zach Frasier.

I was just considering a need position in this scenario. I still much prefer E. Cooper in the second round. I guess finishing up the O-line is the best play for us in round round unless Penix Jr. is there and you think he is a shot we should take.

The 2nd round is a much better round to draft LB’s. Edgerrin Cooper and Junior Colson are the two LB’s I’m interested in.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#978 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Again, kind of surprised you would even consider Payton Wilson considering he’s as gimpy as Sean Lee. He won’t finish the season nor will he have a long career. I’d be surprised if he’s ever healthy by the time the playoffs roll around.

The 2nd round is a much better round to draft LB’s. Edgerrin Cooper and Junior Colson are the two LB’s I’m interested in.

Actually those are my 2 favorite as well. :thumbsup: :cuddle :kiss Back to the big board to figure out a way to make that happen.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#979 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

It’s right in line with what the Broncos got for Russell Wilson. Dak is 5 years younger than Wilson.

I'm starting to think this has been a plan of Jerry's all along. Playing back his code comments after the Packers loss I have concluded Jerry is going to make some kind of splash on or before draft night. (Jerry can't help it. Good for ratings, keeping the Cowboys in the News, etc,.) I think there is some truth with some of these Dak trade rumors. Too many teams like the Raiders, Vikings, Broncos, New England and New Orleans that in desperate need of a QB. We only need one of them to bite. Jerry has never rebuilt in 29 years(although I think this is the best time to do it and should be done). Not his style. We've witnessed it for 3 decades now. JERRY AND THE COWBOYS ARE UP TO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 329

Post#980 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

It's more than what the Broncos gave up for Wilson AND Wilson even still had two years left on his contract, the Broncos were just dumb enough to extend him right away. Dak only has this year left and then his contract would automatically void, so the team that trades for him must extend him.

Not to mention why would a team want to replicate what the Broncos did in the first place?

Return to The General NFL Board