Dak Prescott thread

Moderator: bwgood77

SurfAndTurf
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#861 » by SurfAndTurf » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:01 pm

Dallas either has to extend Dak or let his contract run out which means no cap room and starting the season with a far worse roster than the 1 incapable of winning a home wild card game this year .
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#862 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:20 pm

Let it run out. Its a no brainer. Jesus.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,470

Post#863 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Let it run out. Its a no brainer. Jesus.

He's getting an extension according to Jerry.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#864 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Wouldn't be the first bad contract Jerry has done.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,156

Post#865 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:52 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-can-cowboys-afford-not-to-give-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Reading this makes me feel like Dallas will extend Dak. Because even if Dak plays out next season and then becomes a FA, Dallas still takes a big hit, and then can not afford to sign Lamb/Parsons. The only way is to resign Dak and open up a ton of cap space.

Rough

The only positive is that due to the playoff lose Dallas now has leverage and maybe able to get Dak down to $45m-$50m a year vs the expected $60m
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#866 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:56 pm

If Cowboys fans can't see what has been in front of their face for 8 years regarding all things Dak, I really don't know what to say anymore. He has to go.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#867 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:29 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:If Cowboys fans can't see what has been in front of their face for 8 years regarding all things Dak, I really don't know what to say anymore. He has to go.

At the end of the day the thoughts that are swirling around in the fans heads doesn't even matter. They are going to do what they are going to do regardless. Trying to convince each other of anything in here means nothing.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#868 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-can-cowboys-afford-not-to-give-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Reading this makes me feel like Dallas will extend Dak. Because even if Dak plays out next season and then becomes a FA, Dallas still takes a big hit, and then can not afford to sign Lamb/Parsons. The only way is to resign Dak and open up a ton of cap space.

Rough

The only positive is that due to the playoff lose Dallas now has leverage and maybe able to get Dak down to $45m-$50m a year vs the expected $60m

Not that difficult a decision.

Let three All Pro players, two just coming off their rookie deals and coming into their primes, walk or re-sign all of them.

What are your choices, try to retain the key players on a roster which is going to have double digit wins or let 3 of the best players at their positions go?

Sure rebuild but can they even trade and get high draft picks?

Remember that Ravens didn’t use the exclusive tag on Lamar so any team could have signed him for two FRPs. No team did and now Lamar is MVP and has a good chance at Super Bowl champion and MVP.

If you can get multiple FRPs for each player, it might be worth taking that chance but teams don’t want to pay big money, even for great players. Those picks give them potential great players at cheap salaries for 4-5 years.

Cowboys can’t get a potential franchise QB without really bottoming out. We know Jones won’t do that and probably not the fan base either.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#869 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If Cowboys fans can't see what has been in front of their face for 8 years regarding all things Dak, I really don't know what to say anymore. He has to go.

At the end of the day the thoughts that are swirling around in the fans heads doesn't even matter. They are going to do what they are going to do regardless. Trying to convince each other of anything in here means nothing.

That goes double for Jerry and the front office. I mean, what games have they been watching over the years?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#870 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:34 pm

wco81 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-can-cowboys-afford-not-to-give-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Rough

Not that difficult a decision.

Let three All Pro players, two just coming off their rookie deals and coming into their primes, walk or re-sign all of them.

What are your choices, try to retain the key players on a roster which is going to have double digit wins or let 3 of the best players at their positions go?

Sure rebuild but can they even trade and get high draft picks?

Remember that Ravens didn’t use the exclusive tag on Lamar so any team could have signed him for two FRPs. No team did and now Lamar is MVP and has a good chance at Super Bowl champion and MVP.

If you can get multiple FRPs for each player, it might be worth taking that chance but teams don’t want to pay big money, even for great players. Those picks give them potential great players at cheap salaries for 4-5 years.

Cowboys can’t get a potential franchise QB without really bottoming out. We know Jones won’t do that and probably not the fan base either.

And also when you consider Jerry's age for him it is this x1000000

Jerry doesn't have time to bottom out and rebuild everything. For him it has to work right now, this is it for him. This is his last shot.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#871 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:14 pm

Rough

They are going to resign him and he’s definitely getting $60M. If the Cowboys are not 100% committed to getting rid of Dak (they’re not) then Dak has all the leverage. Keep in mind he doesn’t HAVE to sign a low ball extension ($45M-$50M). He can bet on himself for 1 season and then become an UFA. He’d get $60M on the open market. He’s bet on himself before and it paid off big time. I could see him doing that again. I read a couple weeks ago that there are clauses in his contract that can lower his cap hit without extending him. Not sure how that works though.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#872 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:24 pm

Bringing Dak back along with McCarthy will only set this franchise back and I'm not kidding one bit. I'm also predicting that Parsons, Lamb and others will want out of here by the end of next year if not sooner.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#873 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:30 pm

On social media, Lamb's mother wished her son would go to the Texans to play with CJ Stroud because "Dak is not it."

Gonna be awkward in the locker room.

Cowboys aren't letting Lamb or Parsons go anywhere, they'll tag them.
SurfAndTurf
Freshman

Post#874 » by SurfAndTurf » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:34 pm

wco81 wrote:On social media, Lamb's mother wished her son would go to the Texans to play with CJ Stroud because "Dak is not it."

Gonna be awkward in the locker room.

Cowboys aren't letting Lamb or Parsons go anywhere, they'll tag them.

I find that odd . 135 catches later during a contract year and they are unhappy with DAK . Very few of those catches were 50/50 balls or where Lamb made an amazing catch on a bad throw . That’s not who Lamb is . I watched all 135 catches live and they were all perfectly timed perfectly placed passes . You want to look at the playoff game this year the coach changed the game plan out of nowhere . This is a team with no running game . They tried running on early downs the first month of the season . It didn’t work . They then became the best 1st down passing team in football and that opened everything up . Come playoff time what did they do ? Try to run it on first down . It’s inexcusable. You’re already asking a lot from the QB with no running game and a bi polar defense . By running early downs with absolutely no success at all you don’t think the defense knows your passing and are sitting on routes ? It doesn’t take a genius to figure out this offense was explosive when the pretended the running game didn’t even exsist . Then they changed it . It’s incredible how many people that watch so much football don’t understand this . That means your a redzone watcher . Shameful!
SurfAndTurf
Freshman

Post#875 » by SurfAndTurf » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:44 pm

People want to know what Jerry Jones is watching he’s watching his best option right now. A guy who probably just came in 2nd in MVP voting with 1 outstanding WR and mid players behind him . No running game . A HC who tries to give games away and a defense that can’t stop a runny nose more times than not . Who TF are you gonna find that can do more with what they have ?? Gallup was awful . Cooks was really inconsistent . Tolbert was non existent . Pollard was below average .

They found a keeper in Fergie though I freaking love that guy .
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#876 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:04 am

Yeah Lamb recorded 2 drops in the first half vs the GB. Dak had a bad game but Lamb didn't show up to play either. Mommy needs to stop pointing fingers.

I'm with you Turf that I think it's nearly impossible to find a better QB than Dak within the next 3 years. What I am starting to feel now though is more about just giving everyone a change of scenery. At the same time I kind of feel like Dallas is just playoff cursed. Like it doesn't matter who we bring in they will fail.

Like we could sign Mahomes and McCaffrey with the Ravens defense and somehow they would all magically have their worst game once the playoffs hit.
SurfAndTurf
Freshman

Post#877 » by SurfAndTurf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:37 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Yeah Lamb recorded 2 drops in the first half vs the GB. Dak had a bad game but Lamb didn't show up to play either. Mommy needs to stop pointing fingers.

I'm with you Turf that I think it's nearly impossible to find a better QB than Dak within the next 3 years. What I am starting to feel now though is more about just giving everyone a change of scenery. At the same time I kind of feel like Dallas is just playoff cursed. Like it doesn't matter who we bring in they will fail.

Like we could sign Mahomes and McCaffrey with the Ravens defense and somehow they would all magically have their worst game once the playoffs hit.

Jerry Jones has established a losing culture . It’s imbedded into the star at this point . He doesn’t really do anything to get the team fired up besides let Wil Mcclay draft for him . You see other teams that don’t settle for an above average roster . SF didn’t hesitate to go get Hargrove and Chase . This was actually the first year Jerry did anything conversation worth trading for Cooks and Gillmore but they are aging players . Roll the dice . Trade for an elite player enough of this **** . He knew the interior d line was ass . He did nothing but trust Mazi Smith to be that guy at a position that takes top 5 picks 3 years to reach their potential. It’s a joke he should be Ashamed of himself
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#878 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:01 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Yeah Lamb recorded 2 drops in the first half vs the GB. Dak had a bad game but Lamb didn't show up to play either. Mommy needs to stop pointing fingers.

Jerry Jones has established a losing culture . It’s imbedded into the star at this point . He doesn’t really do anything to get the team fired up besides let Wil Mcclay draft for him . You see other teams that don’t settle for an above average roster . SF didn’t hesitate to go get Hargrove and Chase . This was actually the first year Jerry did anything conversation worth trading for Cooks and Gillmore but they are aging players . Roll the dice . Trade for an elite player enough of this **** . He knew the interior d line was ass . He did nothing but trust Mazi Smith to be that guy at a position that takes top 5 picks 3 years to reach their potential. It’s a joke he should be Ashamed of himself

It's true that he never really makes that final "ALL IN" push that needs to be made where we sign a bunch of big names and declare this is it, do or die.

100% true

It's like "we have some great players, this is all we need!" but he doesn't realize that to win a ring it needs to more than that, you have to go over the top.

He had chances to get go over the top too....he could have signed Henry at RB, could have signed Hopkins instead of Cooks, plenty of big names out there which were ignored.

I think though getting back to my original point though, even if we signed every big name out there I feel like they would just magically collapse once the playoffs start. Like literally everyone had a bad game vs GB. I don't know but it just feels like a curse. I feel like they DO have a winning culture during the regular season, and that we have star players that can't be ignored. But somehow vs GB a switch was turned off for everyone.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#879 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:51 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
SurfAndTurf wrote:

It's true that he never really makes that final "ALL IN" push that needs to be made where we sign a bunch of big names and declare this is it, do or die.

100% true

It's like "we have some great players, this is all we need!" but he doesn't realize that to win a ring it needs to more than that, you have to go over the top.

He had chances to get go over the top too....he could have signed Henry at RB, could have signed Hopkins instead of Cooks, plenty of big names out there which were ignored.

I think though getting back to my original point though, even if we signed every big name out there I feel like they would just magically collapse once the playoffs start. Like literally everyone had a bad game vs GB. I don't know but it just feels like a curse. I feel like they DO have a winning culture during the regular season, and that we have star players that can't be ignored. But somehow vs GB a switch was turned off for everyone.

Sorry guys. We have some talented players but no great players. Great players show up and play great in big games. We haven't done that in almost 3 decades now.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#880 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I think Jerry is not so sure about that anymore. Jerry has sure made his share of mistakes over the years, but I really don't think he will make the same mistake twice.

Return to The General NFL Board