Moderator: bwgood77

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,160

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#1021 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I’m not a fan of being a treadmill team where you’re always in the middle of the pack. Not good enough to actually be a threat and not bad enough to tank and rebuild.

The Jason Garrett era. :banghead:

The Jason Garrett era, the Mike McCarthy era, the Wade Phillips era, the Bill Parcels era, the Chan Gailey era… they’ve all been the same.

IMO "rebuilding" in the NFL doesn't require ONE high pick. You have to rebuild by hitting on the late picks and Free Agency.

See the Browns who have had high picks their entire existence. And see SF who are contenders despite throwing their high pick in the garbage.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,065

Post#1022 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:36 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I don't think QB salary is something to be avoided.

Houston is going to have to pay Stroud big $$$$$. Unless he falls off a cliff which is possible I suppose.

Can't keep rotating QBs to avoid paying big QB money. That isn't a good tactic.

So what is your plan for the Cowboys moving forward if they keep Dak like you want while paying him 60+ mill a year?

My plan was to go "all in" like Jerry insinuated. They aren't doing that though so...let Dak playout his current contract and roll the dice on another QB I guess

According to the Jones’ they have gone “all in” this off season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1023 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
The Jason Garrett era. :banghead:

The Jason Garrett era, the Mike McCarthy era, the Wade Phillips era, the Bill Parcels era, the Chan Gailey era… they’ve all been the same.

IMO "rebuilding" in the NFL doesn't require ONE high pick. You have to rebuild by hitting on the late picks and Free Agency.

See the Browns who have had high picks their entire existence. And see SF who are contenders despite throwing their high pick in the garbage.

Are you saying that having a high pick in every round is the same as drafting late in each round?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1024 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:44 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Jason Garrett era, the Mike McCarthy era, the Wade Phillips era, the Bill Parcels era, the Chan Gailey era… they’ve all been the same.

Are you saying that having a high pick in every round is the same as drafting late in each round?

The first team to draft and the last team to draft are basically identical if you remove the very first pick. So yeah, that one pick is the entire difference. And my point was that "rebuilding" can't be done with that one pick.

The Rams "rebuilt" by trading for Stafford and Ramsey, drafting Kupp in the 3rd round, etc

They didn't rebuild by drafting a QB high and "poof" Super Bowl win.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1025 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:IMO "rebuilding" in the NFL doesn't require ONE high pick. You have to rebuild by hitting on the late picks and Free Agency.

The first team to draft and the last team to draft are basically identical if you remove the very first pick. So yeah, that one pick is the entire difference. And my point was that "rebuilding" can't be done with that one pick.

The Rams "rebuilt" by trading for Stafford and Ramsey, drafting Kupp in the 3rd round, etc

Tell that to the Texans and Bengals.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1026 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:49 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Are you saying that having a high pick in every round is the same as drafting late in each round?

Who both have a combined 0 rings? (because they need more than a QB)

You just said you'd rather go 0-17 than that.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1027 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm

Stroud is 1-1 in the playoffs btw. I mean he looks legit to me but we're kind of crowning him in here the same was Dak was crowned when he was a rookie.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1028 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:53 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:The first team to draft and the last team to draft are basically identical if you remove the very first pick. So yeah, that one pick is the entire difference. And my point was that "rebuilding" can't be done with that one pick.

Both are also in much better positions going forward than the Cowboys. Neither would be there without having a top pick.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1029 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:22 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Tell that to the Texans and Bengals.

Both are also in much better positions going forward than the Cowboys. Neither would be there without having a top pick.

Much better? That's a stretch imo. They went 9-8 and 10-7
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1030 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:04 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Who both have a combined 0 rings? (because they need more than a QB)

Both have young elite prospects. One has even already made it to a SB. Both are trending up. Dak not so much, not as long as he’s in Dallas.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#1031 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Both are also in much better positions going forward than the Cowboys. Neither would be there without having a top pick.

Both have young elite prospects. One has even already made it to a SB. Both are trending up. Dak not so much, not as long as he’s in Dallas.

You can tell ever since the Cowboy loss to the Packers that Jerry's body language, etc., in regards to Dak has changed. You can tell he is burning inside and is completely fed up with Dak. If Dak ends up staying this year the season will be a nightmare and disaster.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1032 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:46 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Both are also in much better positions going forward than the Cowboys. Neither would be there without having a top pick.

Cincy is clearly trending down
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1033 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:46 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Who both have a combined 0 rings? (because they need more than a QB)

Not a stretch really. Burrow missed the first 5 games to injury. It happens, not trying to make an excuse here. He also got injured his rookie and missed most of that year. When healthy Burrow got his team to a Super Bowl despite getting sacked 6-9 times a game and came up 2 plays short of beating the Rams in that Super bowl. Imho Burrow is legit. Like you however, I do want to see more from Stroud before crowning him anything.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1034 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Much better? That's a stretch imo. They went 9-8 and 10-7

As long as Burrow is healthy they are trending up.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1035 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Both have young elite prospects. One has even already made it to a SB. Both are trending up. Dak not so much, not as long as he’s in Dallas.

Lol no. That's not how football works.

Burrow was 5-5 last season while healthy.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1036 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Cincy is clearly trending down

Come on Micah. Burrow was not the only injury last year. J. Chase missed 4 games, Higgins missed a few games and was injured most of the year. They had no TE all season with a make shift O-line due to injuries. I didn't even get to the defensive side of the ball yet. Playing in the toughest division doesn't help when when your team happens to be a MASH unit most of the season with a back up QB for almost half a season.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1037 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:As long as Burrow is healthy they are trending up.

Come on Micah. Burrow was not the only injury last year. J. Chase missed 4 games, Higgins missed a few games and was injured most of the year. They had no TE all season with a make shift O-line due to injuries. I didn't even get to the defensive side of the ball yet. Playing in the toughest division doesn't help when when your team happens to be a MASH unit most of the season with a back up QB for almost half a season.

Yes that is my entire point. The team is more than Joe Burrow.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1038 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Cincy is clearly trending down

So if the only difference between picking 1st in a draft and picking last is the 1st and according to you that first pick doesn’t matter. Does that mean that the Bills would be just as good with Mason Rudolph as they are with Josh Allen? It’s your opinion that the Bills would still be considered a contender with Rudolph instead of Rudolph. I mean that 1st pick doesn’t even matter right?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1039 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Lol no. That's not how football works.

Yes that is my entire point. The team is more than Joe Burrow.

So they would be just as good if they had kept Andy Dalton and instead drafted Michael Pittman Jr? I mean they played .500 ball because of Burrow right?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1040 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:50 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:As long as Burrow is healthy they are trending up.

So if the only difference between picking 1st in a draft and picking last is the 1st and according to you that first pick doesn’t matter. Does that mean that the Bills would be just as good with Mason Rudolph as they are with Josh Allen? It’s your opinion that the Bills would still be considered a contender with Rudolph instead of Rudolph. I mean that 1st pick doesn’t even matter right?

That's strawman. My point was that "REBUILDING" a team is much more than than ONE high pick.

You were trying to suggest that a team must "tank" in order to rebuild. In the NFL all tanking does is give you a better gamble on ONE SINGLE PLAYER.

Return to The General NFL Board