Dak Prescott thread

Moderator: bwgood77

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#841 » by El Turco » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:31 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:In his best year Lamar had 1206 yards rushing with the the top rated offensive line in the league, last year Fields had 1143 yards with one of the lowest rated offensive lines in the league. Fields is already the better runner, I dont think there is any doubt about that.

QB rushing yards generally aren’t a product of offensive line play. I’d take Lamar

Really? Having a better offensive line doesnt help you get more rushing yards? Line collapsing quicker or line giving you split second to get to corner dont have any effect? that's weird.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#842 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:39 pm

El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:In his best year Lamar had 1206 yards rushing with the the top rated offensive line in the league, last year Fields had 1143 yards with one of the lowest rated offensive lines in the league. Fields is already the better runner, I dont think there is any doubt about that.

QB rushing yards generally aren’t a product of offensive line play. I’d take Lamar

Really? Having a better offensive line doesnt help you get more rushing yards? Line collapsing quicker or line giving you split second to get to corner dont have any effect? that's weird.

QB rushing yards are mostly a result of broken plays. A bad offensive line may even encourage more QB runs, and if they get tackled behind the line of scrimmage it doesn't count. The difference in QB rushing yards is going to be their open field running ability.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#843 » by righterwriter » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:43 pm

wembambamya wrote:
wco81 wrote:I never once thought that 49ers should have moved on from Steve Young when he was unable to get the team a SB ring.

Then again the salaries weren't crazy like they are now and there wasn't a salary cap.

But I don't think it was even on the radar of 49ers fans at the time that the team should tank and try to start again with a young QB.

There were certainly a lot of fans who attacked the front office and Walsh and Seifert for getting rid of Montana too early but there was no talk about getting rid of Young.

He had a huge monkey on his back but finally when he got it off, it was one of the most dominant performances in SB history.

Steve Young didnt go 8 years without a Super Bowl as a starter in SF lol

Yeah, he had two seasons as full time starter where he won MVP (lost to DAL in the NFC Championship), was second in MVP (lost again to DAL in the NFC Championship), then he won the SB in this third season while winning MVP. So not exactly similar to Dak and his failures in the postseason.
El Turco

Post#844 » by El Turco » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

QB rushing yards are mostly a result of broken plays.

these QBs are not the QBs you know. Even with broken plays good outer linemen will help you get to the edge and help you turn the corners outside, both Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown were very good at this.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#845 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:15 pm

wembambamya wrote:
wco81 wrote:I never once thought that 49ers should have moved on from Steve Young when he was unable to get the team a SB ring.

Then again the salaries weren't crazy like they are now and there wasn't a salary cap.

But I don't think it was even on the radar of 49ers fans at the time that the team should tank and try to start again with a young QB.

There were certainly a lot of fans who attacked the front office and Walsh and Seifert for getting rid of Montana too early but there was no talk about getting rid of Young.

He had a huge monkey on his back but finally when he got it off, it was one of the most dominant performances in SB history.

His first couple of times in the playoffs as starter, they got upset.

There was no social media then but the detractors were very loud.
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#846 » by wembambamya » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:40 pm

wco81 wrote:
wembambamya wrote:

His first couple of times in the playoffs as starter, they got upset.

There was no social media then but the detractors were very loud.

They might be loud but they didnt last very long, they were shut up by third year lol. Detractors were out there because Young replaced Joe Montana rather than his lack of accomplishments anyway.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#847 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:56 am

El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:

these QBs are not the QBs you know. Even with broken plays good outer linemen will help you get to the edge and help you turn the corners outside, both Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown were very good at this.

Still offensive lineman are more important on designed run plays than they are on scrambles, and I’m guessing that scrambles typically gain more yards per carry than designed runs, and I’m guessing that Fields has a higher percentage of his carries on scrambles than Jackson.
El Turco

Post#848 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:23 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Still offensive lineman are more important on designed run plays than they are on scrambles, and I’m guessing that scrambles typically gain more yards per carry than designed runs, and I’m guessing that Fields has a higher percentage of his carries on scrambles than Jackson.

That doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of the offense, as designed runs and option plays make up a significant portion of the play calls for both offenses. Often, you'll see Lamar make a read first, then tuck it in and run. This is only possible if the offensive line holds up long enough for him to make the read. And considering how frequently Lamar utilizes the sides and edges, in addition to nimble linemen the fullback, namely Patrick Ricard, plays a crucial role allowing Lamar to outmaneuver defenders and gain extra yards.

In their top seasons Fields had the better yards per carry, and was 60yards behind in total rush yards. That's like handful of option runs. Give Fields one of Stanley or Orlando Brown along with Ricard he destroys Lamar's numbers.

wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#849 » by wembambamya » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:35 pm

I havent seen a quarterback who rips off 30+ rushing yards as effortlessly as Fields does, I remember watching him against Dolphins and he was carrying the Bears offense that is devoid of talent single handedly by rushing the ball up and down, one of the craziest performances. He is not very accurate throwing it but he is up there with Lamar running it for sure. Bears coaching isnt doing favors either.
El Turco

Post#850 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:41 pm

wembambamya wrote:Bears coaching isnt doing favors either.

That's very polite way to put it. Bears' play calling and design might be even worse than their offensive line. So bland and unimaginative. You really cant mix a developmental quarterback and a defensive head coach.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#851 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:44 pm

El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:

That doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of the offense, as designed runs and option plays make up a significant portion of the play calls for both offenses. Often, you'll see Lamar make a read first, then tuck it in and run. This is only possible if the offensive line holds up long enough for him to make the read. And considering how frequently Lamar utilizes the sides and edges, in addition to nimble linemen the fullback, namely Patrick Ricard, plays a crucial role allowing Lamar to outmaneuver defenders and gain extra yards.

In their top seasons Fields had the better yards per carry, and was 60yards behind in total rush yards. That's like handful of option runs. Give Fields one of Stanley, Orlando Brown or Ricard he destroys Lamar's numbers.

Scrambles also still make up a significant portion, and there's a reason top running QBs average more yards per carry than top running backs. Scrambles get more yards per carry than designed runs, and Lamar is doing more designed runs than Fields.
El Turco

Post#852 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

In their top seasons Fields had the better yards per carry, and was 60yards behind in total rush yards. That's like handful of option runs. Give Fields one of Stanley, Orlando Brown or Ricard he destroys Lamar's numbers.

Scrambles also still make up a significant portion, and there's a reason top running QBs average more yards per carry than top running backs. Scrambles get more yards per carry than designed runs, and Lamar is doing more designed runs than Fields.

Lamar is able to do more designed runs because his team personnel plus coaching allows him to do more designed runs. Quarterbacks get more yards per carry because they rarely go head first into traffic or run between the tackles. Dont know what you are saying here, Lamar cant scramble?

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#853 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:17 pm

El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:

Lamar is able to do more designed runs because his team personnel plus coaching allows him to do more designed runs. Quarterbacks get more yards per carry because they rarely go head first into traffic or run between the tackles. Dont know what you are saying here, Lamar cant scramble?

What I'm saying is that Field has a higher yards per carry because he has a higher percentage of scrambles compared to Lamar. I'm sure Lamar's offensive line helps him more with his designed runs, but those are going to typically get less yards. He's also more likely to be ahead, running out the clock, where Field's team was always behind and playing against soft defenses.
El Turco

Post#854 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:41 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

What I'm saying is that Field has a higher yards per carry because he has a higher percentage of scrambles compared to Lamar. I'm sure Lamar's offensive line helps him more with his designed runs, but those are going to typically get less yards. He's also more likely to be ahead, running out the clock, where Field's team was always behind and playing against soft defenses.

Yeah but we agree that with running quarterbacks like this scrambling yards are far from the only source of rushing yards, we also agree that good offensive line makes a big difference with designed runs, options etc. Therefore we should agree that offensive line is a big factor when it comes to quarterbacks' rushing ability. It is not crazy to take Lamar over Fields, but cant disregard the personnel advantage Lamar has both on and off the field.

SurfAndTurf
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#855 » by SurfAndTurf » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:30 pm

I bet Jones does the unthinkable and keeps MM 1 for year . This disaster of a game may help him because it was so bad Jones might forget all the clock management blunders and failure to challenge plays he should have during the regular season . Plus Prescott publicly went to bat for him so hard it would be uncomfortable to change everything yet again . A bold move would be don’t extend Dak let him and MM finish their contracts next year and if it ends like this again let them both walk .
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 201

Post#856 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:57 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:I bet Jones does the unthinkable and keeps MM 1 for year . This disaster of a game may help him because it was so bad Jones might forget all the clock management blunders and failure to challenge plays he should have during the regular season . Plus Prescott publicly went to bat for him so hard it would be uncomfortable to change everything yet again . A bold move would be don’t extend Dak let him and MM finish their contracts next year and if it ends like this again let them both walk .
Maybe Quinn has a contract agreement with JJ that if MM lost in the first round and is fired, he will get the gig. Isn't that why he sabotage their defense by allowing 48 points to force the firing so he can be the top dog?

https://youtube.com/shorts/uDMpD7BfYsg?si=vrxgyRyzBZVbty3l
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#857 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:14 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
SurfAndTurf wrote:I bet Jones does the unthinkable and keeps MM 1 for year . This disaster of a game may help him because it was so bad Jones might forget all the clock management blunders and failure to challenge plays he should have during the regular season . Plus Prescott publicly went to bat for him so hard it would be uncomfortable to change everything yet again . A bold move would be don’t extend Dak let him and MM finish their contracts next year and if it ends like this again let them both walk .
Maybe Quinn has a contract agreement with JJ that if MM lost in the first round and is fired, he will get the gig. Isn't that why he sabotage their defense by allowing 48 points to force the firing so he can be the top dog?

I would be surprised if Jerry keeps MM. I really think he’s going to hire Belichick.
SurfAndTurf
Freshman

Post#858 » by SurfAndTurf » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:56 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

I would be surprised if Jerry keeps MM. I really think he’s going to hire Belichick.

I’d rather have Harborough. But what about OC you would think he will stick with the west coast coaching tree . That’s what complicates things and why I think he might not fire him . It will be a hard year if he stays because they could go undefeated in the regular season and I really wouldn’t be too excited except for the auto advance to the divisional round . They broke me this time lol
SurfAndTurf
Freshman

Post#859 » by SurfAndTurf » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:01 pm

At least Harborough will fight a player for that bull crap last Sunday and he’ll do it during the game lol I think that’s what they really need. They have a lot of FA too . I hope they Keep Jordan Lewis . What a season he had . Best open field tackler on the team . But Jerry won’t pay him . And if Quinn goes why keep the hybrid guys he uses ? Maybe real linebackers are better for this team . I really don’t know anymore
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#860 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:44 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:
Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Maybe Quinn has a contract agreement with JJ that if MM lost in the first round and is fired, he will get the gig. Isn't that why he sabotage their defense by allowing 48 points to force the firing so he can be the top dog?

I’d rather have Harborough. But what about OC you would think he will stick with the west coast coaching tree . That’s what complicates things and why I think he might not fire him . It will be a hard year if he stays because they could go undefeated in the regular season and I really wouldn’t be too excited except for the auto advance to the divisional round . They broke me this time lol

It if they hire Belichick. He will bring in his guys.

Return to The General NFL Board