Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Re: Draft Thread 

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Goober wrote:If Wilson isn't available 3 (I'm fully aware its quite likely he doesn't fall) I see this as a major loss for the Niners. I see Wilson and Lawerence as the clear 2 best QB's in this draft and on a tier of their own. I think Lance has the potential to be just as good but Mac **** Jones is just Jimmy G Jr

and DO NOT get me started on Fields

Lance is going to struggle at the next level. He has to sit for a while because he isn't very polished. Hasn't played a ton (ND state). Taking him as high as #3 would be a mistake.

Mac doesn't have the upside of the others but he's the most ready.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,889

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:23 pm

We can all agree the 49ers made this move with the hope that the Jets dont take Wilson right? There is a big dropoff between Wilson and Lance/Fields. I would love to see what Shanahan would do with a QB like Wilson.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#7 » by goober » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:We can all agree the 49ers made this move with the hope that the Jets dont take Wilson right? There is a big dropoff between Wilson and Lance/Fields. I would love to see what Shanahan would do with a QB like Wilson.

The trade will be a massive fail if they don’t get Wilson.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:14 pm

Goober wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:We can all agree the 49ers made this move with the hope that the Jets dont take Wilson right? There is a big dropoff between Wilson and Lance/Fields. I would love to see what Shanahan would do with a QB like Wilson.

Yup, you dont trade 2 additional 1st round picks on top of exchanging this year's 1st round pick to get Lance or Fields.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#9 » by goober » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Whoever is lucky enough to land Penei Sewell is getting a generational tackle. Bengals might just luck into a steal of a pick that will protect Burrow for years.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:40 pm

Goober wrote:

1. Jets take Wilson
2. Jets trade the pick & another team takes Wilson

Rumor is Fields stock is dropping. He hasn't had his Pro Day yet. So would the Niners trade up to take him having not even seen him in person? Fields likely won't be the pick. That means it's either Lance or Jones. Jones stock is rising.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Goober wrote:

1. The Jets take Wilson
2. The Jets trade the pick & another team takes Wilson

Rumor is Fields stock is dropping. He hasn't had his Pro Day yet. So would the Niners trade up to take him having not even seen him in person? Fields likely won't be the pick. That means it's either Lance or Jones. Jones stock is rising.

That much draft capital to get Mac Jones? That would just seem really hard to swallow if I was a 9ers fan. I dont know, maybe the 49ers flip that 3rd pick to get to the #2 pick? Maybe the Jets didnt want to make a deal with the 9ers because they didn't want to drop outside of the top 5. So maybe the 9ers now make a deal to jump from 3 to 2?

I dont know, Im trying to give the 9ers the benefit of the doubt here.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 pm

There are certain things that he's going to struggle with at the next level.

The Wilson comparison is a poor one btw. Russ played in more of a Pro style offense in college.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#13 » by righterwriter » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:53 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Assuming Z.Wilson goes #2, I want the Niners to take Trey Lance. I know he's a bit of a project, but he's got it all and perhaps has the best chance to be elite. It's risky, especially if he has to start immediately, but if they can harness his talent then he could be the greatest pass/throw QB since...I don't even know. Mike Vick, Lamar Jackson, Cam and these mobile guys could never throw with the accuracy that Lance can. So maybe like Russell Wilson on steroids and more of an ability to break long runs regularly.

Carson Wentz? :wink:

Lance is flawed. Yes, he's a very good athlete. But so was Kaepernick. :wink:

There are certain things that he's going to struggle with at the next level.

The Wilson comparison is a poor one btw. Russ played in more of a Pro style offense in college.

Kaepernick was good in a gimmick offense. Once the league caught up, he was awful.

Trey Lance played in the exact offense that Shanahan designed and is being used all over the football world. He'd basically already have the playbook down, which is a very big deal since most QBs need at least a year to figure out what's going on.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,780

Post#14 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:08 pm

F*ck I wish the Raiders were drafting a little higher to get some more good D# picks.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#15 » by goober » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Thought I would post this here too

I have been following Zach for a while, and in the right situation I could see him ending up being the best QB in this draft

goober wrote:I've been watching Zach Wilson play since high school.

You won't find another guy out there who loves the game of football as Wilson does. He is a clear student of the game and you won't find many quarterbacks who drive 24 hours round trip every weekend to train with a former NFL quarterback. His intangibles are incredibly sound and you should listen to him dissect defenses and plays in interviews. He is a huge film nut and very coachable. He will run plays how coaches want them to be ran.

I have never been more passionate about a prospect exceeding from my neck of the woods like I am about Wilson. I have seen a clear difference between him and my own high school's quarterback. My high schools quarterback is from the exact same recruiting class as Zach Wilson and was actually rated much higher. Received many more scholarships and even went to play for a Pac 12 School. Wilson faced much more adversity going into college and worked through it, working hard each step of the way without receiving the accolades that my high school quarterback was receiving. Wilson doesn't care about individual accolades, he only cares about improving.

You would have never thought Zach Wilson at the time would be the one to be one to be drafted. My high school's quarterback has yet to start a game, while Zach Wilson is now projected to be the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft. This comparison for me (as Zach actually played against my high school) speaks volumes to me of how Zach Wilson will do whatever it takes to improve himself and his team, and that isn't a trait you will see in most prospects.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#16 » by goober » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:38 pm

Also, looks like the Niners are going to Mac Jones pro day and not Fields
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#17 » by Pharmcat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Goober wrote:The trade will be a massive fail if they don’t get Wilson.

1. The Jets take Wilson

That much draft capital to get Mac Jones? That would just seem really hard to swallow if I was a 9ers fan. I dont know, maybe the 49ers flip that 3rd pick to get to the #2 pick? Maybe the Jets didnt want to make a deal with the 9ers because they didn't want to drop outside of the top 5. So maybe the 9ers now make a deal to jump from 3 to 2?

I just dont see it with Mac Jones, but the 49ers coach and GM are going to his pro day while those 2 not going to Fields. Im pretty sure they know Jets taking Wilson , so its a matter of Mac or Lance and I would be its Mac
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#18 » by Pharmcat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 am

goober wrote:Thought I would post this here too

I have been following Zach for a while, and in the right situation I could see him ending up being the best QB in this draft

goober wrote:I've been watching Zach Wilson play since high school.

You won't find another guy out there who loves the game of football as Wilson does. He is a clear student of the game and you won't find many quarterbacks who drive 24 hours round trip every weekend to train with a former NFL quarterback. His intangibles are incredibly sound and you should listen to him dissect defenses and plays in interviews. He is a huge film nut and very coachable. He will run plays how coaches want them to be ran.

I have never been more passionate about a prospect exceeding from my neck of the woods like I am about Wilson. I have seen a clear difference between him and my own high school's quarterback. My high schools quarterback is from the exact same recruiting class as Zach Wilson and was actually rated much higher. Received many more scholarships and even went to play for a Pac 12 School. Wilson faced much more adversity going into college and worked through it, working hard each step of the way without receiving the accolades that my high school quarterback was receiving. Wilson doesn't care about individual accolades, he only cares about improving.

You would have never thought Zach Wilson at the time would be the one to be one to be drafted. My high school's quarterback has yet to start a game, while Zach Wilson is now projected to be the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft. This comparison for me (as Zach actually played against my high school) speaks volumes to me of how Zach Wilson will do whatever it takes to improve himself and his team, and that isn't a trait you will see in most prospects.

my only worry with Wilson is his health, dude seems not strongly built
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#19 » by righterwriter » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:1. The Jets take Wilson

I just dont see it with Mac Jones, but the 49ers coach and GM are going to his pro day while those 2 not going to Fields. Im pretty sure they know Jets taking Wilson , so its a matter of Mac or Lance and I would be its Mac

I'm quite certain the Niners didn't trade several first round picks to get a guy who's ceiling doesn't go much beyond "capable pocket passer." The Eagles were happy to trade back from 6-12 for just one first round pick, so if the Niners wanted Mac Jones and were afraid he wouldn't make it to #12, they likely would've been safe dealing to #6 and holding onto the extra 1st and extra 3rd they gave up.

It's a lot of smoke screens right now, but to me the guy who makes the most sense is Trey Lance. Great arm, top notch runner, plays with poise and leadership, has superstar potential, and he already knows how to run the Shanahan style offense.

My prediction is they deal Jimmy for a 2nd or 3rd to New England or Denver and sign Alex Smith to be the placeholder/mentor until Lance is ready to start.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#20 » by goober » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:28 pm

I think a deal between the Jets and the Niners still might be possible on draft night. It just doesn't make sense to me to trade up from 12 to 3 at the cost of two other draft picks for a guy like Fields or Jones or Lance. I think the Niners are still working on a deal with the Jets. That is my hope at least, and I may be just having wishful thinking.

It just seems very incompetent to give up that much for a QB prospect like Lance/Fields/Jones

Return to The General NFL Board