Kyler Murray long term

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Kyler Murray long term 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:01 pm

Made about $12 million this season.

He's due for a fifth year raise next season and then would be UFA in 2024 season.

I believe this was his first playoffs game and the first time the Cards have made the postseason since the Warner years?

But he looked horrible in this game and not really good after returning from injury.

Still he put up big numbers. Without having seen all his games though, I get the sense that most of his numbers come from off-schedule plays, him getting out of the pocket and running for big yards or hitting chunk plays as WRs open up late.

He also seems to make big plays throwing contested 50-50 balls to Hopkins, who wins most of the time.

Can he make big passes in the pocket and hit timing patterns?

Was it him who compared himself to Russell Wilson when he was a rookie or was it Baker Mayfield?

In any event, this was the Cards' first winning season since 2015 so they are trending in the right direction.

They started out so strong this year but then faded. Next season, team and Kyler are going to have to take the next step if they're going to justify paying him $40 million a year plus.

Is it going to happen, will Kyler get the huge franchise QB contract?

They certainly have the playmakers to put up big numbers but is it the makings of a championship contender?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Re: Kyler Murray long term 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:43 pm

wco81 wrote:Is it going to happen, will Kyler get the huge franchise QB contract?

Yes. There's a huge demand for good QB's.

Kyler will be fine. He's too good.

I think they're gonna have to get a replacement for Kingsbury at some point in order to take that next step.

He's dynamite with a run game. But asking him to drop back & throw 40 plus times isn't a good recipe.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm

He was abominable in the Rams game but I think it's still hard to get a QB as good as him who was MVP through the first 7 games. He could have a career like Newton and Ryan that has the one big year at some point and then the other seasons is clearly below the top guys, but that's ok.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#4 » by hermes » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:13 pm

if they don't want to commit to kyler long term and would trade him for cousins, i'm all ears
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:53 pm

Kyler is too small and gets nicked up easily that’s why he has trailed off at the later part of seasons
wco81
RealGM

Post#6 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 am

Well it looked like they bet on this season, before Kyler gets out of the rookie contract.

Watt got $16 million and his contract is up.

Chandler Jones got just under $21 million and his deal is up.

Hopkins is signed the next two seasons at well over $20 million each.

Humpheries, LT, made $18.6 million and he's a UFA. So is Pugh, a G, who made $11.3 million this season.

Philips, a DT, made $13.3 million and his contract is up as well.

So that's 5 starters who made 8-figure salaries. Either pay them or replace them with good starters again? Don't know their draft picks.

If the strategy is to pay other players while the franchise QB is on a rookie deal, they have one more season with Kyler on his rookie deal. But next season will be his fifth so he's going to probably get $20 million or more.

Normally I don't think they wait to give out a big QB contract before the rookie deal is done. I think they extended Mahomes with that mega contract a year before his last rookie contract year.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,028

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:22 am

It's back 2 back years now that Arizona and Murray struggled in the 2nd half of the season. I dont think that is really on Murray, more on Kliff. Teams seem to adjust to them and they dont seem to be able to adjust.

Id like to see Murray with a better coach and a full season with multiple weapons. Id like to see them add another piece to Nuk/Ertz. AJ is over the hill and I think they could use another legit weapon out there for him to throw too.

Here is the thing, he is a good enough thrower where teams cant dare him to throw against them. But he also isnt a top tier thrower where he can sit in the pocket 30+ times and pick apart a defense. Which is fine, you just need to build your offenses around that. And again he is a good enough thrower to build a good enough and well rounded enough offense around him.

Like you put him in a good West Coasts offense where they have a commitment to the run, then they mix up the pocket passes with the play action roll outs. That is perfect for him. Kingsbury's Air Raid isnt the ideal fit for Murray. Again he's good enough to make it work most of the time, but that isnt ideal for him.

But yes with no hesitation I lock up Murray long term.
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#8 » by makubesu » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 am

Kingsbury was a COTY candidate until Murray came back, but now everyone wants to blame him? The world sure is fickle. I think Murray is the way to go, but that is such a hard division. Maybe they need to time it right when the Rams should decline (2-3 years?)
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,168

Post#9 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm

I do think that once he has lost his scramble-run threat it is al downhill from there. But have to give him a contract he is still young and should have several huge years ahead of him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,646

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:00 pm

Without Hopkins he isn't nearly as good, and if a defense can rush from the outside and keep him in the pocket, it gets tough for him since he can't run and he has trouble seeing over the line with the most batted down balls this season. Doesn't seem great under pressure unless he can run to the outside and get around people.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Without Hopkins he isn't nearly as good, and if a defense can rush from the outside and keep him in the pocket, it gets tough for him since he can't run and he has trouble seeing over the line with the most batted down balls this season. Doesn't seem great under pressure unless he can run to the outside and get around people.

Same problem Wilson has. His issue is seeing over the line with pressure in his face.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#12 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:06 am

Here's the deal. Those fast running QBs need a break. Like basketball, you have to use Load Management. But these coaches just run em into the ground. And late in the season, they have low effectiveness. Injuries. Or just flat burned out. Ravens QB. Cardinals QB have many wins early in the year. But get run down late in the season.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
wco81
RealGM

Post#13 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:19 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Here's the deal. Those fast running QBs need a break. Like basketball, you have to use Load Management. But these coaches just run em into the ground. And late in the season, they have low effectiveness. Injuries. Or just flat burned out. Ravens QB. Cardinals QB have many wins early in the year. But get run down late in the season.

But if they can make enough timing passes from the pocket, they wouldn't have to extend plays.

Josh Allen can probably do that all season long and for several seasons. He's like a bigger, stronger, faster version of the young Rothlisberger when he was taking the Steelers to SBs.

Kyler can certainly make plays out of the pocket but it does increase injury risk.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,619

Post#14 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Without Hopkins he isn't nearly as good, and if a defense can rush from the outside and keep him in the pocket, it gets tough for him since he can't run and he has trouble seeing over the line with the most batted down balls this season. Doesn't seem great under pressure unless he can run to the outside and get around people.

Same problem Wilson has. His issue is seeing over the line with pressure in his face.

2 major differences

1. Wilson is far bulkier, can take more hits
2. Wilson has about 2x the Football IQ Murray does.

I like Murray, but I agree with the previous posters. Its tough playing 17 games when you are that brittle.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#15 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

2 major differences

I like Murray, but I agree with the previous posters. Its tough playing 17 games when you are that brittle.

Wilson is definitely not "far" bulkier than Murray they are within 10lbs of each other and have very similar frames. I don't think it's fair to label Murray "brittle" either.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,619

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:51 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Same problem Wilson has. His issue is seeing over the line with pressure in his face.

2 major differences

Wilson is definitely not "far" bulkier than Murray they are within 10lbs of each other and have very similar frames. I don't think it's fair to label Murray "brittle" either.

So when you look at Russ Wilson and Kyler, you think they are built pretty similar?

I don't know what to tell you. I guess we see different things.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#17 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:19 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
2 major differences

So when you look at Russ Wilson and Kyler, you think they are built pretty similar?

Kyler is 1 inch shorter so may give the appearance of someone more "brittle" I suppose but the reality of the situation is that he is very close to Russ Wilson's body type.

5'10" listed at 207 lbs he has a little thickness to him and is probably a lot less brittle than you or others realize.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#18 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
2 major differences

Russ has always carried more weight. Thicc might be more appropriate lol.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:56 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Wilson is definitely not "far" bulkier than Murray they are within 10lbs of each other and have very similar frames. I don't think it's fair to label Murray "brittle" either.

Kyler is 1 inch shorter so may give the appearance of someone more "brittle" I suppose but the reality of the situation is that he is very close to Russ Wilson's body type.

5'10" listed at 207 lbs he has a little thickness to him and is probably a lot less brittle than you or others realize.

I think the one thing that works against him is that he has smaller arms (wingspan) & hands than Wilson. Russ has huge hands for someone his size (10.5). Not many QB's 6'4" & taller have hands that big.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,646

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:58 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I think the one thing that works against him is that he has smaller arms (wingspan) & hands than Wilson. Russ has huge hands for someone his size (10.5). Not many QB's 6'4" & taller have hands that big.

When watching games Kyler looks VERY short when about to take a snap. Wilson doesn't look nearly that short to me. Maybe it's just my eyes or the Cards have a much bigger OL.

Return to The General NFL Board