Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,452

Re: WR Calvin Ridley suspended for betting on games 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:36 pm

Man…this sucks. Turns out he bet on the Falcons to win and nothing was done out of place as far as fixing games or whatever.

The NFL really has no choice however. You can’t make exceptions for certain bets. They have to rule with a heavy hand here.

Really makes me mad there are scumbags like Tyreek Hill that are allowed to skirt by committing serious crimes and they’re getting Ridley for this
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:37 pm

A rule that is posted at the entrance of every locker room in the sport…

Either dumb as hell or arrogant as hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#4 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:40 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:A rule that is posted at the entrance of every locker room in the sport…

Probably a bit of both. Still feel bad for the dude
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:47 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:A rule that is posted at the entrance of every locker room in the sport…

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:47 pm

Ya gambling on games has always been a huge no no in every sport. I mean Pete Rose is an all time great baseball player and has been banned from the game for decades now.

Doesn't matter if you bet for or against your team. You still have far more inside knowledge than the public.

Then you add in the NFL is pushing gambling much harder nowadays. Ya no way in hell would they just give him a slap on the wrist.

He's a complete idiot as well. Because this isn't some gray area thing either. Every professional athlete knows, you can't bet on your team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 9:52 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Man…this sucks. Turns out he bet on the Falcons to win and nothing was done out of place as far as fixing games or whatever.

The NFL really has no choice however. You can’t make exceptions for certain bets. They have to rule with a heavy hand here.

Really makes me mad there are scumbags like Tyreek Hill that are allowed to skirt by committing serious crimes and they’re getting Ridley for this

Yup. The NFL (all sports leagues really) have no credibility with this stuff.

I mean Joe Mixon is on camera punching a woman and literally breaking her face. She broke multiple bones in her face and needed facial surgery to fix it. And this was all caught on camera. Yet Mixon was a one of the most highly talked about guys heading up to the super bowl.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#8 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 10:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Man…this sucks. Turns out he bet on the Falcons to win and nothing was done out of place as far as fixing games or whatever.

I mean Joe Mixon is on camera punching a woman and literally breaking his face. She broke multiple bones in her face and needed facial surgery to fix it. And this was all caught on camera. Yet Mixon was a one of the most highly talked about guys heading up to the super bowl.

Part of me thinks they should reduce it to like 10 games but there can’t be any leniency imo. You can’t risk the credibility of the league and they have to come down heavy.

What’s interesting is this appears to be an isolated incident and he’s getting a full season. If there was a pattern you’d have to think a guy would get 2+ seasons at the minimum and maybe longer.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen again. Sucks for Ridley but it is what it is.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 10:20 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I mean Joe Mixon is on camera punching a woman and literally breaking his face. She broke multiple bones in her face and needed facial surgery to fix it. And this was all caught on camera. Yet Mixon was a one of the most highly talked about guys heading up to the super bowl.

Part of me thinks they should reduce it to like 10 games but there can’t be any leniency imo. You can’t risk the credibility of the league and they have to come down heavy.

What’s interesting is this appears to be an isolated incident and he’s getting a full season. If there was a pattern you’d have to think a guy would get 2+ seasons at the minimum and maybe longer.

I'm fine with the length of it. When you listen to any current or former NFL player talk about this, they talk about how often the NFL makes it clear there is no gray area to this.

When there is a rule as clear as this and something the league takes as serious as this. You deserve the 1 year suspension just for being dumb enough to blatantly break it.

I assume if someone gets caught doing this multiple times, theyll get the permanent ban. Just can't have players gambling on the game, especially when the league is now business partners with sports gambling businesses.

To be clear, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal to bet for your team to win. But I totally get the length of the suspension and why it's such a black and white rule for the league.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#10 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 10:31 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Yup. The NFL (all sports leagues really) have no credibility with this stuff.

I'm fine with the length of it. When you listen to any current or former NFL player talk about this, they talk about how often the NFL makes it clear there is no gray area to this.

When there is a rule as clear as this and something the league takes as serious as this. You deserve the 1 year suspension just for being dumb enough to blatantly break it.

I assume if someone gets caught doing this multiple times, theyll get the permanent ban. Just can't have players gambling on the game, especially when the league is now business partners with sports gambling businesses.

To be clear, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal to bet for your team to win. But I totally get the length of the suspension and why it's such a black and white rule for the league.

Agreed on all counts!
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,149

Post#11 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:11 am

I was just saying this same thing to someone when they tried to say the punishment is too harsh. This is not a new rule. It’s not even a rule specifically for the NFL. It has been a rule for a very long time in every major sport. We have seen should be HOF’s banished from their leagues for doing this. You have to be the dumbest MF on the planet to do this.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:21 am

Mr B wrote:

I was just saying this same thing to someone when they tried to say the punishment is too harsh. This is not a new rule. It’s not even a rule specifically for the NFL. It has been a rule for a very long time in every major sport. We have seen should be HOF’s banished from their leagues for doing this. You have to be the dumbest MF on the planet to do this.

Yep. Making him out as a victim in all this is absurd. Is it equitable with spousal abuse or an owner trying to convince his coach to throw games or an owner who is accused of sexual harassment? No. Is it a clearly defined rule that every athlete knows or SHOULD know? Absolutely.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:30 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yep. Making him out as a victim in all this is absurd. Is it equitable with spousal abuse or an owner trying to convince his coach to throw games or an owner who is accused of sexual harassment? No. Is it a clearly defined rule that every athlete knows or SHOULD know? Absolutely.

Exactly. Everyone knows there are inconsistencies in how the NFL handles domestic violence issues, and drug issues. And those issues need to be addressed.

There is no gray area with gambling though. It’s always been a rule and everyone knows the consequences.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,211

Post#14 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:58 am

I mean, if you were betting on the Falcons to win last year, you were getting punished already.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#15 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:40 am

Idiot. Its literally one of the biggest sins of the sport.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:16 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

I’ll bet (insert sarcasm font here) Pete Rose doesn’t feel too bad for him…
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#17 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:45 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

In addition doesn’t the NFL have official ties with gambling companies now, like Fan Duel or something?

The sport gets support from fans who regularly bet on games. Just about every NFL or sports podcast is supported by Fan Duel and other gambling companies. The hosts talk regularly about betting with or against the spread, prop bets, etc.

Yes the appearance of fixing can be a problem.

But a $1500 bet can cost $11 million in salary.

Apparently the Falcons may not extend him, even before this gambling news came out. He’s had very good numbers too.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:15 pm

wco81 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

In addition doesn’t the NFL have official ties with gambling companies now, like Fan Duel or something?

The sport gets support from fans who regularly bet on games. Just about every NFL or sports podcast is supported by Fan Duel and other gambling companies. The hosts talk regularly about betting with or against the spread, prop bets, etc.

Apparently the Falcons may not extend him, even before this gambling news came out. He’s had very good numbers too.

Ya the NFL are official partners with multiple gambling sites now. Which is another reason no doubt that this is a no gray area policy for them. I mean this has always been a complete no gray area policy for every sports league, but now that the leagues are officially in bed and promoting gambling. There is no way at all that the leagues will allow anything like this. Im actually surprised its just 1 season honestly.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:24 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I’ll bet (insert sarcasm font here) Pete Rose doesn’t feel too bad for him…

“Shoeless” Joe Jackson says hello.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:26 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Yup. The NFL (all sports leagues really) have no credibility with this stuff.

Ya the NFL are official partners with multiple gambling sites now. Which is another reason no doubt that this is a no gray area policy for them. I mean this has always been a complete no gray area policy for every sports league, but now that the leagues are officially in bed and promoting gambling. There is no way at all that the leagues will allow anything like this. Im actually surprised its just 1 season honestly.

I’m honestly kind of surprised the suspension was only for 1 season too.

Return to The General NFL Board