Wilson gets another big bag

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Wilson gets another big bag 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:30 am

$245 million, $165 million guaranteed.

He will turn 34 at end of November so this deal could take him to age 38 or 39.

He has to be one of tHe highest in career earnings.

Will his game age well as Brady or Rodgers? He relies on mobility more than them. Rodgers doesn’t seem to rely as much on second reaction plays in his recent seasons and Brady was always about getting rid of the ball on time.

On paper it’s a great situation with the Broncos. Then you look at the rest of the division.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Re: Wilson gets another big bag 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 2, 2022 5:54 am

wco81 wrote:Will his game age well as Brady or Rodgers? He relies on mobility more than them. Rodgers doesn’t seem to rely as much on second reaction plays in his recent seasons and Brady was always about getting rid of the ball on time.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. One is the GOAT. The other is significantly better at what he does & is coming off of winning multiple MVP's.

Russ' game is predicated more on playing off script & always will. He's great at it. But his game is vastly different from both guys. That's partly due to his size.

Could he play into his 40's? Sure. He takes care of his body for the most part.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
wco81
RealGM

Post#3 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 11:54 am

Only reason I compared him to those two is because those are the two old guys playing very well at ages around which Wilson could play at.

If he’s still effective and plays through the end of this extension, he will be 41, not 38-39 as I posted above.

If Broncos can’t win the chip in the next 3-4 seasons, they will have to look at drafting a franchise QB and exit out of paying the fUll extension.

Because Mahoney and Herbert will be hitting their primes so if they haven’t won by then …
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#4 » by hermes » Fri Sep 2, 2022 2:13 pm

fran tarkenton played until he was 38, although it looked like he stopped running around as much the last few years (based on his rushing stats)

russell will just have to adjust as needed to stay competitive, if he can't then at least he has a bunch of money to fall back on
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 2, 2022 3:36 pm

wco81 wrote:Only reason I compared him to those two is because those are the two old guys playing very well at ages around which Wilson could play at.

If he’s still effective and plays through the end of this extension, he will be 41, not 38-39 as I posted above.

If Broncos can’t win the chip in the next 3-4 seasons, they will have to look at drafting a franchise QB and exit out of paying the fUll extension.

Because Mahoney and Herbert will be hitting their primes so if they haven’t won by then …

Mahomes & Herbert are already in their primes.

Denver's roster isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl (yet) in my opinion. Will they be competitive? Yes.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,641

Post#6 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:13 pm

that's my (fantasy) qb

wco81
RealGM

Post#7 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:Only reason I compared him to those two is because those are the two old guys playing very well at ages around which Wilson could play at.

Mahomes & Herbert are already in their primes.

Denver's roster isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl (yet) in my opinion. Will they be competitive? Yes.

They're 26 and 24.

So Mahomes will just be hitting 30 in 4 years and Herbert just 28.

Chiefs have had to let some vets go after Mahomes' big extension but they hit big with some recent drafts to rebuild the OL and the defense (at least that's what they're saying based on training camp and preseason). We will see if not having Hill hurts them or not.

But in 3-4 years, those rookies and second year players may be up for big extensions and Chiefs may have to let some walk and hope to get good replacement starters in the draft again.

Chargers have to do it now. They paid Bosa, they paid James. Once Herbert gets his extension, they're going to have to rely more on draftees to play key starter spots.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 2, 2022 6:49 pm

wco81 wrote:They're 26 and 24.

Chiefs have had to let some vets go after Mahomes' big extension but they hit big with some recent drafts to rebuild the OL and the defense (at least that's what they're saying based on training camp and preseason). We will see if not having Hill hurts them or not.

But in 3-4 years, those rookies and second year players may be up for big extensions and Chiefs may have to let some walk and hope to get good replacement starters in the draft again.

Chargers have to do it now. They paid Bosa, they paid James. Once Herbert gets his extension, they're going to have to rely more on draftees to play key starter spots.

26 is very much the prime of an athlete. At least until they reach their early 30's. It's slightly skewed for QB's. But Mahomes is very much in his prime now. Herbert is in his third year & really just entering his own.

Getting back to the question, Wilson can absolutely still be effective as he ages into his late 30's. His game has changed slightly over time. He's heavier now than his first few years in the league. His rushing numbers are down & he's not the same mobile guy that he was early on. But he's also improved as a passer.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,559

Post#9 » by azcatz11 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 10:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:They're 26 and 24.

26 is very much the prime of an athlete. At least until they reach their early 30's. It's slightly skewed for QB's. But Mahomes is very much in his prime now. Herbert is in his third year & really just entering his own.

Getting back to the question, Wilson can absolutely still be effective as he ages into his late 30's. His game has changed slightly over time. He's heavier now than his first few years in the league. His rushing numbers are down & he's not the same mobile guy that he was early on. But he's also improved as a passer.

Why did you guys get rid of him again? I still don't understand
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 2, 2022 10:47 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Why did you guys get rid of him again? I still don't understand

You're asking the wrong person. If given the choice I would've moved on from Carroll instead. I think this could end up being his last year here. Ownership is also preparing to put the team up for sale soon.

It's my belief that Russ was just ready for a change. Hearing the same voice for 10 years.

Pete & the front office also saw it as an opportunity to restock the roster with a bunch of draft picks. Part of it is based on philosophy dating back to his days at SC. Pete's message gets stale after a while, that's when they decide to cut bait with players. Also why he was so successful in college. He'd have guys for 3-5 years & then a new group of players would come in.

My hope is that they lose as many games as possible this year. I'm ALL IN on the tank train.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 7, 2022 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter

And now, according to a front-office source, Carroll was staunchly opposed to the idea of trading his franchise quarterback, believing that he could manage the drama and Wilson's declining mobility. With final say over personnel decisions, Carroll's view was the one that mattered most. But his stance would eventually soften.

"He's a great pro, he's a veteran, he shows up, leader -- all that stuff -- every single day," a Seahawks front-office source said of Wilson and the resistance among some in the organization to trade him. "So yeah, it took a while."

Then, after the 2021 season, Wilson and Carroll discussed the possibility of a trade.

"That's when s--- got real," a front-office source said.

BY THIS POINT, some within the Seahawks believed Wilson's best days were behind him. Their concern wasn't with the finger injury that had sidelined him for three games in 2021. Some believed Wilson's escapability -- one of the traits that made him an elite quarterback worthy of elite money -- was waning.

"He's not as mobile as he used to be," said one source in the Seahawks' front office.

"I just felt like he's a descending player," another front-office source said, citing the same mobility concern. "Is he going to be able to be a true pocket passer at the end of his career and just stand there and drop the ball off to his checkdowns? He's never done that. I can't tell you he's going to be able to do that."

"So those two things," a source in the Seahawks' front office said. "A declining player and then what the ask was going to be the next time, which would have been his third time. It's like, 'No, let's play really good defense, let's run the s--- out of the ball. That's how we won a world championship.' That's what we've kept going back to."
wco81
RealGM

Post#12 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 7, 2022 7:53 pm

That's the rap against small QBs, that they can't produce as well in the pocket.

Main exception was Brees.

I'm sure there are advanced stats showing Wilson's production in pocket vs. second reaction plays or getting outside the pocket.

It's the rap against Murray and Mayfield.

Have to also wonder about Bryce Young as an NFL prospect. He isn't going to be throwing to the best WRs in college football who get big separation all the time. Or sit behind a line of first round OL.

But if they're able to make plays outside the pocket or produce a lot of yards with their feet, that leads to a lot of big plays, probably more than checking down to a RB all the time.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#13 » by Dick Tate » Thu Sep 8, 2022 9:47 pm

He wanted to go to another Super Bowl while being a top paid player. That wasn't going to happen on a team with poor pass protection and a 5-11 QB who was losing his mobility.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 8, 2022 10:37 pm

Dick Tate wrote:

He wanted to go to another Super Bowl while being a top paid player. That wasn't going to happen on a team with poor pass protection and a 5-11 QB who was losing his mobility.

Funny thing is that they may have upgraded & fixed their o-line issues long-term due to the trade. The Denver pick they acquired this year was used on Charles Cross (LT). While also drafting Abe Lucas (RT). They have their long-term bookend Tackles.

Russ wants to run the show. That's why he wanted out. He wants to have the biggest voice in the room. While also focused primarily on building his brand.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 8, 2022 11:17 pm

Read on Twitter

IN THE SPRING of 2017, Seahawks general manager John Schneider was a conspicuous attendant at Patrick Mahomes' pro day. The GM had become so enamored with the Texas Tech quarterback that Seattle would have taken him had he been available late in the first round, multiple team sources said. The massive gamble on an unproven quarterback would have carried an obvious benefit: flexibility to build the roster around a cheap rookie contract the way Seattle had done during Wilson's first three seasons when the Seahawks won one Super Bowl and nearly a second.

A year after eyeing Mahomes, Schneider attended Josh Allen's Wyoming pro day, a repeat move that raised eyebrows among observers and ruffled feathers inside Wilson's camp. Why would Schneider travel to far-flung campuses to scout quarterbacks when he already had one building a Hall of Fame résumé as a Super Bowl champion and perennial Pro Bowler? Wilson, 29 at the time, was coming off a season in which he led the NFL in touchdown passes with 34, then his career high.

Schneider had an explanation. He was working in the Green Bay Packers' front office when Aaron Rodgers unexpectedly fell to them late in the first round in 2005. That experience, plus his and Carroll's oft-cited promise to leave no stone unturned in player evaluation, meant Schneider had to do his homework on quarterback prospects. Schneider's in-season schedule kept him from attending any of Mahomes' or Allen's games, so the pro day was his chance to see them throw live.

Wilson's camp had a different view.

"They were f---ing pissed," a Seahawks' front-office source said.

Then came the clearest sign yet to Wilson's camp that Seattle's interest in other quarterbacks was something more than due diligence. The Seahawks, according to someone in Wilson's camp and the Seahawks' front office, called the Cleveland Browns before the 2018 draft to discuss a trade that would have swapped Wilson for the No. 1 overall pick. Wilson's agent, Mark Rodgers, found out.

The Browns weren't interested, but Seattle's flirtation motivated Rodgers to secure a no-trade clause when he negotiated Wilson's four-year, $140 million extension the following April.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 6, 2022 6:43 pm

Here's a good breakdown. Why Geno is a better fit in this offense.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 6, 2022 11:09 pm

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#18 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 12:05 am

Geno is in his contract year. He's 32 and has made about $14 million over his 10-11 year career.

Will the Hawks pay him?

I heard someone claim that maybe Seattle is the first team to have declined to give out a big extension to a franchise QB. Well they've already paid Wilson a couple of times but they weren't going to pay another which led him towards his late 30s.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 7, 2022 12:14 am

wco81 wrote:Geno is in his contract year. He's 32 and has made about $14 million over his 10-11 year career.

Will the Hawks pay him?

I heard someone claim that maybe Seattle is the first team to have declined to give out a big extension to a franchise QB. Well they've already paid Wilson a couple of times but they weren't going to pay another which led him towards his late 30s.

Geno is a fine bridge QB. If he continues to play well then they will keep him around until they find a long-term guy (draft).

Similar to how the Niners have kept Garoppolo in the fold & drafted Lance. Eventually they will have to find the next guy.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,686

Post#20 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 3:55 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Perfect example of this was the final play of the game. Had a guy wide open but never took his eyes off of Sutton (his #1 read)

Return to The General NFL Board