Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:18 am

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Re: Coaches 

Post#2 » by hermes » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:22 am

lovie was coaching the texans?? man i am out of touch with the rest of the league
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Coach Firings 

Post#3 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 9, 2023 1:56 pm

i assume kingsbury will be gone. maybe dennis allen.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,466

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 9, 2023 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
hermes
RealGM

Post#5 » by hermes » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:13 pm

how stuck with kyler murray are the cards? you'd think a new coach would want to choose his own qb, but i suppose not always
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 9, 2023 6:33 pm

hermes wrote:how stuck with kyler murray are the cards? you'd think a new coach would want to choose his own qb, but i suppose not always

Kyler Murray signed a 5 year, $230,500,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including a $29,035,000 signing bonus, $189,500,000 guaranteed

There is no way out.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,564

Post#7 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 7:30 pm

Cards need to do everything they can to trade Kyler.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,690

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:10 am

Not a head coach but damn I was waiting for this day all year long. Just came a little too late, but better late than never

Read on Twitter

hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:49 am

only onwards and upwards from here!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#10 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:42 pm

Some people speculated that Chargers wouldn't fire Staley because they're cheapskates. But key players spoke up for Staley, who's only earning $4 million a year.

Greg Roman, who just resigned from the Ravens, was making $3.5 million as OC.

Supposedly Payton is asking for $20-25 million a year!

That is crazy, it's not like he can guarantee a SB win. I think top coaches are making around $10 million a year?

Some college coaches probably make even more.

Thing is, Payton reportedly don't want to go to the team with an unsettled HC situation. So ideally for him would have been the Chargers job. But if the Chargers owners are cheap, why would they pay him 5-6 times what they pay Staley?

Payton may not want to develop young QBs or even fix vets like Russell Wilson at Denver. He has a great resume but he didn't win until the Saints signed Brees.

So not clear he is a QB guru. Is he a great offensive coach? Probably, but it doesn't hurt to have a HoF QB, potentially one of the best of all time putting up huge numbers, multiple 4000 or 5000 yard seasons during his career.

Payton is 59 and certainly there have been older head coaches. But does he want to work as hard as he did 10 years ago?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#12 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 pm

Got alert that Broncos and Saints are negotiating on compensation so that the Broncos could sign Payton.

Broncos needs to be stockpiling picks, not giving them away for HC, who's going to need a few seasons to turn over the roster.

They must think if Payton can fix Wilson, Broncos can compete right now.

Not likely, not in the AFC West or the AFC in general.

Not until they have at least a couple of very good drafts. Which might include getting a franchise QB.

But if they foolishly try to win next season and just manage to get 7 or 8 wins, putting them out of a top 5 pick, they won't be getting that QB.

Assuming they have a 2024 FRP, they should be tanking for the USC guy. But oh, they have guaranteed money for Wilson.

They're screwed unless Mahomes and Herbert both have career-ending injuries.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:38 pm

wco81 wrote:Assuming they have a 2024 FRP, they should be tanking for the USC guy. But oh, they have guaranteed money for Wilson.

They do.

No 1st or 2nd this year. No 2nd- 2024.
El Turco

Post#14 » by El Turco » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:00 pm

wco81 wrote:

That is crazy, it's not like he can guarantee a SB win. I think top coaches are making around $10 million a year?

I think Belichick makes more than 20mil, couple others should be around that as well but coaches' salaries generally not public.

I would give gladly that amount or more for a good coach, coaching is more important in nfl than any other sport particularly in the playoffs. Not like it counts towards your salary cap and hurts your team.

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#15 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:37 pm

Love the DeMeco hire, best news since they got rid of Asschin and Easterbunny. They're still the McTexans so can't get too excited, but it's nice to see them actually make a decent move for once.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
wco81
RealGM

Post#16 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:26 pm

El Turco wrote:
wco81 wrote:

I think Belichick makes more than 20mil, couple others should be around that as well but coaches' salaries generally not public.

I would give gladly that amount or more for a good coach, coaching is more important in nfl than any other sport particularly in the playoffs. Not like it counts towards your salary cap and hurts your team.

And what has Bellichek done since Brady left?

Pats fans are going to sour on his legacy the longer he stays and the team doesn't return to the top of the league.

Payton is reportedly getting $17-20 million.

Yeah he doesn't count against the cap but those draft assets ...

I just looked up Denver's attendance, just under 76k a game, #5 in the league, only topped by Dallas and the two NY teams, which had bounce back years.

Maybe the fan base bought up the season tickets because of the trade for Wilson and other moves they made in the offseason.

But they had even greater attendance in 2021 so that's a hardcore fan base, despite the market size.

Do the owners think they need to make a big splash with the Payton signing to keep the fans buying tickets? Doesn't seem to matter how they do on the field that much.

Realistically the odds are against them with two of the top young QBs in the division, no matter the coach.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:37 pm

wco81 wrote:
El Turco wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Pats fans are going to sour on his legacy the longer he stays and the team doesn't return to the top of the league.

I just looked up Denver's attendance, just under 76k a game, #5 in the league, only topped by Dallas and the two NY teams, which had bounce back years.

Maybe the fan base bought up the season tickets because of the trade for Wilson and other moves they made in the offseason.

But they had even greater attendance in 2021 so that's a hardcore fan base, despite the market size.

Do the owners think they need to make a big splash with the Payton signing to keep the fans buying tickets? Doesn't seem to matter how they do on the field that much.

Realistically the odds are against them with two of the top young QBs in the division, no matter the coach.

The investment they made in Wilson, they really have no choice but to go all-in.

Is a 1st round pick a steep price? Yes. But it's better than hiring a HC with no experience & possibly hiring another Hackett.

Go get the best guy available.

They made the mistake of hiring Hackett because they thought it would land them Rodgers.
wco81
RealGM

Post#18 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:42 pm

No coach is going to give Wilson the arm talent of Mahomes or Herbert or make Wilson be proficient like Burrow.

Now maybe they will have a stud OL and be able to mash other teams like the Eagles did this year, and their defense will get 60 sacks or more next year.

Barring that, Broncos seem like third or fourth place team next year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:55 pm

wco81 wrote:No coach is going to give Wilson the arm talent of Mahomes or Herbert or make Wilson be proficient like Burrow.

Now maybe they will have a stud OL and be able to mash other teams like the Eagles did this year, and their defense will get 60 sacks or more next year.

Barring that, Broncos seem like third or fourth place team next year.

Russ will never reach his peak again. Due to his decline in athleticism. He'll never be the same dual threat as earlier in his career. But in the right system, he can still be an above average starter.
El Turco

Post#20 » by El Turco » Wed Feb 1, 2023 9:13 pm

wco81 wrote:
El Turco wrote:
wco81 wrote:

what belichick did after brady is irrelevant, he has done alot with brady, brady likely wouldnt have the first 3 super bowls with any other coach. coaching alone wont win you games, but after quarterback it is the single most important entity on a team. look at how jaguars changed going from meyer to pederson, from picking 1st to winning a playoff game despite handing 27 points early on. giants were a team devoid of talent, no sane person would've looked at that roster and predict playoffs before the season, dabold was the only major change from the previous season.

payton also changed disaster of a franchise, before him saints were the joke of the league, he has pedigree and has shown he can do wonders with smaller quarterbacks. that is more valuable than a linebacker you will pick with a late first round pick.

wilson also doesnt need to be herbert or mahomes, pretty sure there was a stat late in the season that pointed out broncos would be 13-14 win team if only their offense was league average instead of last. there is alot to work with in that roster, playoffs are certainly attainable next year.

Read on Twitter

worse than i thought, more goes into it but 18 points per game would be 28th in the league. they didnt even have to be league average to make the playoffs.

Return to The General NFL Board