Free Agency

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,125

Re: Free Agency 

Post#141 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:33 pm

Nunuu wrote:He wasnt a FA, but Herbert just got paid...

The Los Angeles Chargers and quarterback Justin Herbert have agreed to terms on a five-year, $262.5 million contract extension

Burrow should be next right? Then I’d expect Dak to get an extension.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#142 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:37 pm

Nunuu wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:It is the franchise tag... but with $900k in incentives extra and $2 million of the total amount up front.

That makes sense then. Does he have language for the next tag in his deal? Cause if not just signing the tag would make it unlikely for him to get it again next year Id think

That would be terrible work by his agent if he nullified this years franchise tag and he will get the regular tag again next year.

Yea he probably should have just played under the tag instead of signing a 1 year deal. They are going to run Barkley into the ground this year. Under the tag he would have been due a raise if they tag him again next year. By signing a 1 year deal he might be looking at a vet min contract next season (even if he wins the rushing title).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#143 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:38 pm

Mamba42 wrote:
Nunuu wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:
That makes sense then. Does he have language for the next tag in his deal? Cause if not just signing the tag would make it unlikely for him to get it again next year Id think

That would be terrible work by his agent if he nullified this years franchise tag and he will get the regular tag again next year.

According to ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38067192/sources-saquon-barkley-giants-agree-1-year-11m-deal), he signed an "adjusted franchise tag" so I guess the same rules would apply to them tagging him next year in terms of cost escalation?

The story also says the deal does not have a provision preventing the Giants from using the tag again next year.

All in all this seems like a win for the Giants and an L for Barkley since he really didn't gain much from all of it.

It isn’t a terrible deal as long as the increases in salary will still be there for him if they tag him again.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#144 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:49 pm

Mamba42 wrote:According to ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38067192/sources-saquon-barkley-giants-agree-1-year-11m-deal), he signed an "adjusted franchise tag" so I guess the same rules would apply to them tagging him next year in terms of cost escalation?

The story also says the deal does not have a provision preventing the Giants from using the tag again next year.

All in all this seems like a win for the Giants and an L for Barkley since he really didn't gain much from all of it.

Yes, it's just like playing on the tag except he'll be getting the extra $900k in incentives. Really not much for ending his holdout. I guess the $2 million advance payment is nice, too.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,593

Post#145 » by DOT » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:19 pm

I know Herbert is probably actually the better QB, but irrationally the fact TLaw came back from down 28-0 and Herbert lost when up 28-0 makes the homer in me mad when Herbert gets ranked higher.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Nunuu
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#146 » by Nunuu » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:53 pm

DOT wrote:I know Herbert is probably actually the better QB, but irrationally the fact TLaw came back from down 28-0 and Herbert lost when up 28-0 makes the homer in me mad when Herbert gets ranked higher.

TLaw could pass him this season, he made the playoffs and won a game in year 1 of a real coaching staff and was much improved.

Return to The General NFL Board