Re: Dorktown: History of the Minnesota Vikings 

Post#21 » by DOT » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:27 pm

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#22 » by hermes » Fri Aug 4, 2023 1:41 am

that was great, really well done video with a ton of history and detail. should be a great series

didn't realize that tarkenton left the vikes for a few years in the middle of his career
bud grant man, holy cow. he's the best. i'd like to think that if i were a head coach i'd do it like him. no speeches, no yelling, orderly discipline, and home by dinner each night. even got into the cold and bud's imperviousness to it (but didn't mention him showing up to the freezing 2015 game in a t-shirt - maybe they are saving it)
the 1969 team was outstanding
joe kapp is a warrior, and sounds a little bit like a mix of patrick mahomes and kirk cousins
and the vikings are the third most games above .500 in the super bowl era......but haven't won a super bowl :(
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#23 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 4, 2023 2:24 am

They never showed up in any of their 4 Super Bowl appearances. I watch all 4 of them. They made the NFC look weak back then.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,615

Post#24 » by DOT » Fri Aug 4, 2023 1:17 pm

hermes wrote:didn't realize that tarkenton left the vikes for a few years in the middle of his career

Yeah, that's kind of the tragic part

He spent arguably his prime years away from the Vikings

Kapp was a warrior, but you see in the video, when they made it to the Superbowl that year he only put up 183 yards passing, 9 yards rushing, 0 TDs and 2 INTs

It's not guaranteed they would've won had they kept Tarkenton (they never put up more than 14 points in a Super Bowl when he got back), but he was clearly the better QB, and losing him was completely avoidable.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
hermes
RealGM

Post#25 » by hermes » Fri Aug 4, 2023 5:47 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:They never showed up in any of their 4 Super Bowl appearances. I watch all 4 of them. They made the NFC look weak back then.

now they mostly don't show up in the nfc championship games
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by DOT » Wed Aug 9, 2023 9:46 pm

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

hermes
RealGM

Post#27 » by hermes » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:59 am

jim marshall man, that guy was something
1969 and 1970 defenses were so dominant - but qb was the weak spot (gary cuazzo? bob lee? i've never even heard of these guys)
42 straight games allowing no more than 2 tds!! :o
we even had kicking problems in 1972! poor fred cox (thanks for nerf footballs though)
alan page was the man too, and just playing football to pay for law school
wait, an hour to drive from mankato to minneapolis?? someone is speeding
that was quite the speech at the end
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,586

Post#28 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:31 pm

I didn't even realize there was a gap between the Kapp era and the 2nd Tarkenton era. I had heard of Gary Cuozzo and Bob Lee, I just didn't know they were ever our starting QB.
hermes
RealGM

Post#29 » by hermes » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:06 am

watching part 3

the 70s vikings had so many great players on it
dang staubach and the dang hail mary :nonono:
alan page wasn't in on the hail mary play!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!
i think i might have a chuck foreman autograph
steelers had a great decade
just couldn't get a super bowl win, always one thing or another
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by DOT » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:56 pm

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

hermes
RealGM

Post#31 » by hermes » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:37 am

ah the nfc central. i don't really miss it because tampa always seemed to beat us (and the north is just so perfect now)
that ahmad rashad catch was great
7 consecutive possessions with turnovers?!?!!? yeesh
the two point conversion was introduced in 1994? huh, guess i didn't know that and would have guessed it was always in place
the football gods were already frowning on us (four super bowl losses) but i wonder if they are double frowning on us since we moved to an indoor stadium (haven't been back to the super bowl)
we need more people like bud grant
les steckel sounds like the worst
jerry burns is quite the character
bjj, have you thanked the vikings for the herschel walker trade?
late 80s had some solid teams but the franchise really did take a step back from the great teams of the 70s
Midwest219
Senior
And1: 272

Post#32 » by Midwest219 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:29 am

I enjoyed that.

Spoiler:
BEAR DOWN

no better history than football.. fact.
well, besides for the Servile wars.
FK DELLADIRTY
hermes
RealGM

Post#33 » by hermes » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:01 am

hershel walker :nonono:
cris carter was in the supplemental draft? didn't know that
haha, wow john randle had to strap some weight to his chest to make the vikings team
dennis green won big ten coach of the year at northwestern after going 3-8, because he oversaw the end of a 29 game losing streak
vikings always seem to have a few really great players on the team
yikes, a lot of ownership drama. wild that they had so many majority owners
if you have 10 owners, you have no owners
tom clancy, yes that tom clancy, was almost the vikings owner. we got red mccombs instead
i notice we're kind of zipping through most of the decade fairly quickly here, they must spend a lot of time discussing 1998
wow, that 1997 giants playoff game was wild. one might argue that good clock management probably would have ended up costing the vikings the game somehow, because vikings
marshall had moss and chad pennington at the same time?
bjj, why didn't you convince jerry jones to pick randy moss?
boy that 1998 thanksgiving game was something else, 46-36! six 50+ yard tds! randy freaking moss!
randall cunningham throws a beautiful deep ball
interesting, 1998 has been the only year where three teams won at least 14 games
1998 playoffs - i don't think i'm ready for this...
i never really knew the game scenario of gary's missed kick, it was to ice the win essentially. vikes were already up 7 at the time with only a couple of minutes left. if they get a defensive stop then no one remembers the missed kick (and griffith nearly has two picks!!)
dennis green has the greatest offense, 30 seconds, two timeouts and he took a knee. that definitely doesn't get talked about as much (or at all???) i'm prepared to absolve gary anderson for this game. i mean for crying out loud just throw a jump ball to moss! unbelievable :noway:
wait, green didn't know how many timeouts he had!?!?! and that's why he took the knee! holy smokes, the football gods just didn't want us to have this one
thank you to the 1998 vikings, they had a fantastic year and provided everyone with a lot of amazing entertainment
the 2000s should be fun, its when i started watching the team. we'll have daunte, mike tice, the love boat, adrian. a lot of stuff happened in that decade
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#34 » by Worm Guts » Mon Sep 4, 2023 4:39 pm

hermes wrote:dennis green has the greatest offense, 30 seconds, two timeouts and he took a knee. that definitely doesn't get talked about as much (or at all???) i'm prepared to absolve gary anderson for this game. i mean for crying out loud just throw a jump ball to moss! unbelievable :noway:
wait, green didn't know how many timeouts he had!?!?! and that's why he took the knee! holy smokes, the football gods just didn't want us to have this one

Taking the knee was definitely a huge talking point at the time. That game was so heartbreaking. I was so sure the Vikings were going to win.
hermes
RealGM

Post#35 » by hermes » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:24 am

robert smith isn't that big of a football fan, and (shocker!) has interests outside of football
wow, smith retired right before being a free agent that likely would have gotten him a big deal
culpepper and moss were so much fun
oh man, lets not go into detail on the 2000 nfc championship game. i remember watching the entire blowout. a little numb after that
rip korey stringer
2003 nfl draft: nfl wouldn't answer the phone on a trade is why we missed the pick?? for crying out loud
i also remember the randy moss no look pass, one of the craziest plays i've ever seen
oh that dang 2003 arizona game :nonono:
i can handle roller coaster viking moments thanks to that wild 2003 season (still probably taking years off my life but there you go)
culpepper should have won the 2004 mvp
mccombs tried to bring bud grant back in 05??? and jerry burns as oc???
wow, bud would have come back (at age 77!) but mccombs was too cheap so it didn't happen
the moss moon was great, i wonder if the nfl rules would allow it with today's td celebrations
straight cash homie
forgot the wilfs have owned the team so long (2005)
they didn't talk about the randy ratio
more time for the love boat i guess
moss and culpepper leaving more or less back to back was rough
2006 was a boring vikings season - it can happen!
rip prince
ah adrian, he was so good. that chargers game where he set the single game rushing record was nuts
forgot about the cromartie 109 yard return also in that game
one heck of a second half, childress must have not known about the record until late when he brought adrian back in at the end to get it
i couldn't enjoy the great 2009 season properly, i disliked brett favre that much
'maul of america's team' is a fantastic headline, kudos whoever came up with that
vikes had fumblitis something bad in the 2009 nfc title game
a lot of viking fans probably wouldn't have believed longwell would have made the kick anyway
what a wild decade
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#36 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:03 pm

hermes wrote:2003 nfl draft: nfl wouldn't answer the phone on a trade is why we missed the pick?? for crying out loud

I haven't listened to the episode, but my recollection was that the Vikings thought they had a trade down with the Ravens but the Ravens never called in their half of the trade.
hermes
RealGM

Post#37 » by hermes » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:34 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
hermes wrote:2003 nfl draft: nfl wouldn't answer the phone on a trade is why we missed the pick?? for crying out loud

I haven't listened to the episode, but my recollection was that the Vikings thought they had a trade down with the Ravens but the Ravens never called in their half of the trade.

video's version: the ravens said they tried calling the league but got busy signals on both of the lines
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by DOT » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:49 pm

There's some debate as to whether or not the Ravens actually called in or if they didn't for some reason (they just forgot, they backed out, etc), and like it says, it worked out just fine for the Vikings, but it is really funny lol.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

hermes
RealGM

Post#39 » by hermes » Sat Sep 9, 2023 7:28 pm

i wonder how often production crews leave cameras on in the stadiums overnight? was it just crazy coincidence they had them on when the metrodome roof collapsed? i suppose you check the weather and try it on the off chance
no mention of the joe webb game, where joe freaking webb goes to philly on a tuesday night and beats michael vick
adrian's 2012 season was so magical, it was so fun record-watching
that last run against the packers i really thought he had it
oh no, blair walsh. he started off so well (and they really set up his later downfall :( )
oh no, vikings qb history since the early 90s
wow, i forgot mcnabb was here for a cup of coffee before retiring
interesting that from about 2005-2010 only matt ryan and matt stafford really panned out at qb (from players who came in during those years)
everybody loves teddy
bud grant man, bud grant
man they really want to build up this blair walsh rug pull
the walsh miss still hurts, he only lasted two more years in the league
vikes are the only team to twice start at least 5-0 and miss the playoffs
ah, case keenum. 2017 was fun
i think i was at minnesota state with thielen
crazy that diggs and thielen both became success stories despite being a 5th round pick and an undrafted free agent
ha, this guy thought the vikes had run out of good stories
we had a 3 score lead in 2017 against the saints, shouldn't have even needed a miracle but these are the vikings
good on forbath for making a late game field goal in the playoffs as a viking
the minneapolis miracle might be the best viking experience i'll have. probably should come to terms with that
i remember hearing the shouting from the bar on the corner after that play
here we go, kirk cousins - ha, narrator guy doesn't like kirk (teddy is his favorite though)
jj is making a lot of history man
nobody overachieved like the 2022 vikings
vikings: the most successful nfl team at not being bad
well that's it, what a ride. learned a lot. some pretty wild stuff has happened to the vikings over the years
those 70s purple people eaters, they were so loaded - how did it not happen

Return to The General NFL Board