Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:20 am

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mamba42
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Re: OT: College Football 

Post#5 » by Mamba42 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:07 am

Realignment is so interesting. I wonder what the other Pac 12 schools will do. On the one hand, Colorado isn't that big of a loss as their football program, while potentially interesting, has been terrible. On the other hand, losing a bottom team like CU doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence that the other, more prominent, schools will remain.

I'm guessing the 4 corner schools go to the Big 12. Washington/Oregon go to the B1G. Oregon State and Washington State try to keep the Pac 12 name alive by taking on the top of the MW and some other schools but Stanford and Cal don't want to be in a league with Boise State, Utah State, Colorado State, Wyoming, San Diego State, Nevada and UNLV.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 2:51 am

bwgood77 wrote:I like the new avatar.

Read on Twitter

Thoughts?

Looks like it's a formality. UW & Oregon are headed to the Big 10 as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 4:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I like the new avatar.

Read on Twitter

Thoughts?

Looks like it's a formality. UW & Oregon are headed to the Big 10 as well.

I like the PAC 12, but it would be nice to see AZ play in Austin. However, isn't Texas moving to the SEC, so I guess I actually wouldn't see them. I probably would see them on tv more though, and not at like 10:30 at night my time.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter

The Pac-12 is officially dead!

Read on Twitter
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#9 » by hermes » Fri Aug 4, 2023 5:46 pm

i'm not sure how i feel about all this realignment. mostly just been watching the circus from afar because thank goodness my favorite school is already in the big10 (they probably wouldn't be very desirable if they were on the outside looking in).

i'm big on traditions but i suppose teams and conferences have been changing for decades
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#10 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 5:48 pm

Thing I saw on ESPN scrawl at the bottom is that Washington and Oregon would get reduced TV money compared to other Big 10 schools.

So how would they ever be competitive?

Well Oregon is getting all that Nike money and UW is in a big media market probably bigger than Columbus or Ann Arbor? Certainly bigger than Indiana or Wisconsin.

The only offer the Pac 12 had apparently was with Apple and the money would be based on how many subscribers Apple could sign up to pay extra for Pac 12.

Well I'm a Cal alum but I haven't watched their games in years. But I was a pro sports fan long before I went to college and the Bay Area is far more interested in pro sports, though Stanford and Cal have had moments.
wco81
RealGM

Post#11 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 5:51 pm

hermes wrote:i'm not sure how i feel about all this realignment. mostly just been watching the circus from afar because thank goodness my favorite school is already in the big10 (they probably wouldn't be very desirable if they were on the outside looking in).

i'm big on traditions but i suppose teams and conferences have been changing for decades

Speculation is that eventually there will only be two big conferences of all the major programs, the SEC and the Big 10.

But most of the big programs are not in huge media markets -- Columbus, Ann Arbor, Athens, Tuscaloosa.

Exception would be if USC and UCLA ever got big again but LA is more into the Dodgers and Lakers than college sports.

So they will get big TV money but nothing like the NFL deal.

Still the big programs get a lot of alumni money too because some rich people care if their alma mater is winning. They don't care how inferior NCAA football and basketball are compared to the pro counterparts.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 6:01 pm

wco81 wrote:Thing I saw on ESPN scrawl at the bottom is that Washington and Oregon would get reduced TV money compared to other Big 10 schools.

So how would they ever be competitive?

Well Oregon is getting all that Nike money and UW is in a big media market probably bigger than Columbus or Ann Arbor? Certainly bigger than Indiana or Wisconsin.

The only offer the Pac 12 had apparently was with Apple and the money would be based on how many subscribers Apple could sign up to pay extra for Pac 12.

Well I'm a Cal alum but I haven't watched their games in years. But I was a pro sports fan long before I went to college and the Bay Area is far more interested in pro sports, though Stanford and Cal have had moments.

The rumor is they will get a percentage on this current media deal. Which is still considerably more than the Pac-12 (Apple). We're talking like twice the amount of revenue here.

UW covers the Seattle market. Oregon- Nike. Both are traditional CFB brands.

The Pac is gone. It's dead.

USC, UCLA, Oregon & Washington- Big 10. Arizona, ASU, Colorado & Utah- Big 12.

The Mountain West schools will likely merge with the remaining schools (OSU, WSU). The fates of Cal & Stanford are still up in the air.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#14 » by azcatz11 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:04 pm

Absolutely pathetic that the Pac-12 is disbanding. I'm officially renouncing my fanship to the University of Arizona. I have no desire to join the Big 12 and that micky mouse conference
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:06 pm

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:11 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Absolutely pathetic that the Pac-12 is disbanding. I'm officially renouncing my fanship to the University of Arizona. I have no desire to join the Big 12 and that micky mouse conference

My Dawgs are part of the Big10 now. But I'm gonna miss the rivals in the Pac. UW didn't really have a choice. Especially with SC & UCLA leaving for the Big10. The deal with Apple that the conference put together was a joke.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#17 » by azcatz11 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:15 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Absolutely pathetic that the Pac-12 is disbanding. I'm officially renouncing my fanship to the University of Arizona. I have no desire to join the Big 12 and that micky mouse conference

My Dawgs are part of the Big10 now. But I'm gonna miss the rivals in the Pac. UW didn't really have a choice. Especially with SC & UCLA leaving for the Big10.

Yeah...I get that. The Big 12 really doesn't interest me at all. The Big 10 wouldn't either but the Big 10 is still >>>>>> Big 12. We are officially in a third rate crappy conference with 0 rivalries. The only game I even remotely care about is ASU. So yeah...I'm done. Greed destroyed college sports anyways and college football sucks as it is.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#18 » by azcatz11 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

My Dawgs are part of the Big10 now. But I'm gonna miss the rivals in the Pac. UW didn't really have a choice. Especially with SC & UCLA leaving for the Big10. The deal with Apple that the conference put together was a joke.

So much for pac 12 after dark...so much for Las Vegas for basketball. College sports is dead.
wco81
RealGM

Post#19 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:21 pm

Was it greed or Pac 12 games ratings weren't great because nobody east of the Mississippi watched them when they often started at like 7 PM PST?

So ESPN, CBS and whichever other networks broadcast NCAA games would pay for rights to those other conferences but lost interest paying for Pac 12 games which didn't involve the teams from the biggest markets, LA, Seattle, Bay Area, Phoenix?
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#20 » by azcatz11 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:24 pm

wco81 wrote:Was it greed or Pac 12 games ratings weren't great because nobody east of the Mississippi watched them when they often started at like 7 PM PST?

So ESPN, CBS and whichever other networks broadcast NCAA games would pay for rights to those other conferences but lost interest paying for Pac 12 games which didn't involve the teams from the biggest markets, LA, Seattle, Bay Area, Phoenix?

Larry Scott ruined the conference. We all know that. He should have done a rights deal like the ACC which locked everyone in instead of building his own network which you couldn’t even buy a la carte.

The schools are greedy as hell. Namely usc and ucla. They can enjoy getting their asses kicked and never being relevant again. They both had easy paths along with Oregon and threw it all away.

Return to The General NFL Board