OT: College Football

Moderator: bwgood77

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: OT: College Football 

Post#1081 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:10 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:You guys aren't ready for what's next!!

He didnt leave Seahawks on good terms heh, sounds like he is looking for one final shot at coaching instead of the soft advisory role.

I think He was a better college coach than a NFL coach, great recruiter even if he used lot of wink wink nudge nudge back in the days :D
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,472

Post#1082 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:51 pm

El Turco wrote:He didnt leave Seahawks on good terms heh, sounds like he is looking for one final shot at coaching instead of the soft advisory role.

I think He was a better college coach than a NFL coach, great recruiter even if he used lot of wink wink nudge nudge back in the days :D

He still wants to coach.

He needed to go. But I believe he could land another college job somewhere & go out with a bang. He can still recruit like the best of them. Which would hide some of his flaws as a coach.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1083 » by wembambamya » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Would be great to see Carroll back in college, Gators should hire him and dont look back lol
El Turco

Post#1084 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:40 pm

I think he is a west coast guy now, SEC might be too intense. I think UCLA would have gotten rid of Chip if they had known Carroll would be available.

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#1085 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:47 pm

With Carroll at USC, we were giving dudes whole Houses and Cars. Today's NIL is roo restricting. Pete ain't goin back to college
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#1086 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 pm

How much do head coaches recruit these days?

I thought assistants or guys specializing in recruiting did most of the legwork and then maybe towards at the end the HC visits to close the deal?

But now with money-earning opportunities for some top players, does the rep of the HC matter as much?

What a cesspool college football is.

At least with the NFL, you always know it's about the money.
El Turco

Post#1087 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:43 pm

Name value of the coach seals the deal, head coaches that have the reputation of taking his players to NFL are the ones that usually do best with 5 star recruits. I am sure they meet with the recruits to ensure they are committed but it is mostly procedural.

Saban for example had a very good reputation for college to NFL pipeline for pretty much all positions, except for quarterback and Alabama wasnt necessarily getting the best of the best QBs. Then Tua came along and ended up a high first round pick, afterwards they started getting some of the top quarterback recruits. Same reason why Riley gets the best quarterbacks, once he had the reputation of making his QBs high draft picks and Heisman finalists, he gets nothing but 5 stars.

I am sure NIL money is pretty similar at the top universities, dont think it makes a huge difference. I am reading NIL makes a much bigger difference for 3-4 star recruits because there can be huge variance between the mid level programs that recruit those guys. NIL money of Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss is much different than the NIL money school like NC State has, even though they are similar stature programs.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,576

Post#1088 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:02 pm

It appears Jedd Fisch will be the new Husky HC. Just like I said. If not, I can see the Titans going after him
El Turco

Post#1089 » by El Turco » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:18 pm

azcatz11 wrote:It appears Jedd Fisch will be the new Husky HC. Just like I said. If not, I can see the Titans going after him

He has a good thing going on with Arizona right now, if I were him I would stay unless it is a real, clear step up. He can realistically go to playoffs, even win Big 12 next two years.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1090 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:27 pm

El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:It appears Jedd Fisch will be the new Husky HC. Just like I said. If not, I can see the Titans going after him

He has a good thing going on with Arizona right now, if I were him I would stay unless it is a real, clear step up. He can realistically go to playoffs, even win Big 12 next two years.

Going from UA to UW is a big step up. But I'd rather not hire the guy if he plans on leaving in 2-3 years for the NFL or a school like Florida.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1091 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:

Going from UA to UW is a big step up. But I'd rather not hire the guy if he plans on leaving in 2-3 years for the NFL or a school like Florida.

Yes his dream job is Florida…we will go back to obscurity for the next 10 years if we lose him. Fifita will probably follow and TMac.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1092 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:38 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:

Yes his dream job is Florida…we will go back to obscurity for the next 10 years if we lose him. Fifita will probably follow and TMac.

UA is still a Basketball school. Whereas Football runs everything at UW. The expectations are much higher. For that reason, he should probably stay at Arizona.

If UW has a down year, he would get crucified.
El Turco

Post#1093 » by El Turco » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:41 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:

UA is still a Basketball school. Whereas Football is king up north. So, he'd have much higher expectations to live up to should he leave. Based on that alone, he should stay at Arizona.

Maybe, but moving to the Big Ten won't be an easy transition, especially now that you have lost your quarterback and a bunch of other good players. Add high expectations to that, he likely won't have the 3-4 years of grace period that new hires usually get to suck.

He is comfy in Arizona and is likely to get opportunities with an easier transition.

edit-I guess I type too slow

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#1094 » by goober » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:41 pm

I’m only seeing things that say he’s agreed to restructuring his deal with Arizona

but i don’t know how good the source is
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1095 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 pm

I'm hearing it's down to Fisch & the Kansas HC.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1096 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:42 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I'm hearing it's down to Fisch & the Kansas HC.

He'd be dumb not to leave TBH. Opportunity to join one of the 2 legit conferences in the country. I hold no resentment if he leaves. I understand the game. You guys just secured a future HOF imo. Fisch inherited a program with 1 win and now we are a west coast power.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1097 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:46 pm

Leipold just tweeted he's coming back...it's Fisch. Arizona is also in the middle of a financial crisis. We can't afford to pay him
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1098 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:57 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Leipold just tweeted he's coming back...it's Fisch. Arizona is also in the middle of a financial crisis. We can't afford to pay him

Well, looks like it's official. Sorry bud.

Read on Twitter
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1099 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:01 pm

I expected it. I may become a husky fan for college football and remain loyal to the basketball program. Similar to how BJJ is a front runner but different since im an actual alumni
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1100 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:08 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I expected it. I may become a husky fan for college football and remain loyal to the basketball program. Similar to how BJJ is a front runner but different since im an actual alumni

There was a rumor going around that Carroll was spotted with the UW AD last night. Fisch was on Pete's staff at one time. Pete's son is also currently on Jedd's staff. A lot of connections.

Return to The General NFL Board