OT: College Football

Moderator: bwgood77

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: OT: College Football 

Post#1061 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Interesting hire, can he keep up recruiting wise?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,466

Post#1062 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:56 pm

El Turco wrote:Interesting hire, can he keep up recruiting wise?

He's the Shanahan of College coaches. He worked wonders with 3 & 4 star recruits. He'll kill it at Bama.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
El Turco

Post#1063 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Sark could go to Alabama and bring Arch with him...would make a lot of sense for all parties.

I could see that, but then you run into the question of what happens to Milroe? Does he bounce to the portal? Because same with Ewers, I see no way Milroe will be cool with being on the bench next year. I believe he is one of if not the current betting favorite for the Heisman next year.

I forgot about Milroe...lol.

Yeah, I don't know. I do agree there's no shot in hell Arch is sitting again after the flashes he showed. I would start Arch all day over Ewers personally.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Arch transfers to USC...they have a gaping hole at QB and it's a legit blue blood.

Where did he show flashes? I am genuinely curious, I saw him take over in a blow out against Texas Tech and he hasnt shown much with his throws, had one run escaping the rush. Did I miss something? He played against some of the weakest competition in his state in high school, hard to gauge from that too.

El Turco

Post#1064 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:02 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

He's the Shanahan of College coaches. He worked wonders with 3 & 4 star recruits. He'll kill it at Bama.

Yeah but you actually have to have a very good recruiting acumen to get those 5 stars. He'll be competing against Georgia, Texas, LSU etc now and it isnt as easy as it looks. Recruiting was probably Saban's best skill, Alabama wasnt this great at recruiting before he came over.

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#1065 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:16 pm

El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
I could see that, but then you run into the question of what happens to Milroe? Does he bounce to the portal? Because same with Ewers, I see no way Milroe will be cool with being on the bench next year. I believe he is one of if not the current betting favorite for the Heisman next year.

Yeah, I don't know. I do agree there's no shot in hell Arch is sitting again after the flashes he showed. I would start Arch all day over Ewers personally.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Arch transfers to USC...they have a gaping hole at QB and it's a legit blue blood.

Where did he show flashes? I am genuinely curious, I saw him take over in a blow out against Texas Tech and he hasnt shown much with his throws, had one run escaping the rush. Did I miss something? He played against some of the weakest competition in his state in high school, hard to gauge from that too.

Are you talking about Arch Manning?
El Turco

Post#1066 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:19 pm

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Yes.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,567

Post#1067 » by azcatz11 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:42 pm

El Turco wrote:
Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:

Yes.

He reminds me of JJ McCarthy - live arm, underrated athlete. That spot action sealed the deal for me. He's going to be something special.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1068 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 pm

El Turco wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yeah but you actually have to have a very good recruiting acumen to get those 5 stars. He'll be competing against Georgia, Texas, LSU etc now and it isnt as easy as it looks. Recruiting was probably Saban's best skill, Alabama wasnt this great at recruiting before he came over.

Players want to play for him. He'll have no trouble when it comes to recruiting. They'll be competing for titles every year.

I'll say this, if you're a rival SEC team, this is not the news you want to hear.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1069 » by azcatz11 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:He's the Shanahan of College coaches. He worked wonders with 3 & 4 star recruits. He'll kill it at Bama.

Players want to play for him. He'll have no trouble when it comes to recruiting. They'll be competing for titles every year.

I'll say this, if you're a rival SEC team, this is not the news you want to hear.

Idk man. I’m sorry he left you guys but I think he’s going to flame out hard down there. I give him 3 years max before he’s gone.

He’s not an SEC guy. It’s just an awkward fit.

Good news is you all will be getting Jedd Fisch who may even be an upgrade
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,490

Post#1070 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:41 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Ryan Grubb will likely takeover. Assuming he does, UW will be in good hands. A great play caller & recruiter.

Bama just got an absolute superstar. Who is more than capable of filling the shoes of Saban.

I guess I'm officially an Alabama fan now.

Roll Tide!!!

What, no longer a Huskies fan? Are you pulling a bjj?

I wonder how much more money it was? Because I sure as hell would rather live in Washington than Alabama.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#1071 » by hermes » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Bama just got an absolute superstar. Who is more than capable of filling the shoes of Saban.

that's quite the thing to say considering saban is one of the best college coaches ever
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#1072 » by azcatz11 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Ryan Grubb will likely takeover. Assuming he does, UW will be in good hands. A great play caller & recruiter.

Bama just got an absolute superstar. Who is more than capable of filling the shoes of Saban.

Roll Tide!!!

I wonder how much more money it was? Because I sure as hell would rather live in Washington than Alabama.

I drove thru Alabama. The south is really a waste land. Like I said - you have to be in that culture to like it. The people down there will force him out
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#1073 » by hermes » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:29 pm

a lot bigger spotlight as well, all eyes are going to be on him now. he had no one watching him out in the pac12 (i'm not terribly plugged in but i had never ever heard of him before today).

tons more pressure and a lot shorter leash. good luck to him, at least the money will be good
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1074 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Roll Tide!!!

I'm a UW guy.

But it will be easy to cheer for that team with DeBoer in charge. So, I guess Bama will be my 2nd team. My SEC team. :wink:

I never really cared for Saban all that much. But they're getting one hell of a coach.

I guess the same applies if Carroll we're to get another job somewhere. I'll automatically become a fan.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1075 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I wonder how much more money it was? Because I sure as hell would rather live in Washington than Alabama.

Seattle vs. Tuscaloosa

Tough choice.

He actually might prefer it. Considering he's from Sioux Falls. Plus, the weather in Seattle from December- March isn't great. Not having Sun for 3-4 months isn't for everybody.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1076 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:47 pm

hermes wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Bama just got an absolute superstar. Who is more than capable of filling the shoes of Saban.

that's quite the thing to say considering saban is one of the best college coaches ever

The guy is a winner.

Read on Twitter
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1077 » by wembambamya » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:49 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Roll Tide!!!

Dont think college coaches really care about the cities they live in, most college towns are dumps and football is the only thing matters. Washington is a good story, up and coming but coaching in Alabama is the pinnacle of the profession.

I dont know much about him but he just skyrocketed in short few years, normally I would say he is not ready but he overcame everything else lol .
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#1078 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:05 am

Roll Tide!!!

Fill Saban's Shoes? Cmon Cactus....them shoes ain't gonna be filled
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1079 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:47 am

You guys aren't ready for what's next!!

El Turco

Post#1080 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:07 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:

Roll Tide!!!

Fill Saban's Shoes? Cmon Cactus....them shoes ain't gonna be filled

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39299597/georgia-hires-bama-cb-coach-robinson-recruiting-rock-star

not a good start, as I said recruiting battles are nasty between blue bloods.

Return to The General NFL Board