double whammy!!

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Re: NFL Preseason thread 

Post#162 » by righterwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:42 am

Cactus Jack wrote:The media is absolutely laying it on Lance.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I wonder what the media and his detractors will say about him after yesterday's performance.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,802

Post#163 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:10 am

Nice win by my Raiders tonight!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#164 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:20 am

righterwriter wrote:

I wonder what the media and his detractors will say about him after yesterday's performance.

I didn't watch. But I can't imagine much will change. As far as public perception. He's got a ton of doubters. The only way to change that is to step up when it matters as a starter. Unfortunately for him, that isn't likely to happen. Unless something we're to happen to Purdy.

When you're that high of a draft pick & not starting. It's kind of easy for people to pile on.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,690

Post#165 » by DOT » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I didn't watch. But I can't imagine much will change. As far as public perception. He's got a ton of doubters. The only way to change that is to step up when it matters as a starter. Unfortunately for him, that isn't likely to happen. Unless something we're to happen to Purdy.

When you're that high of a draft pick & not starting. It's kind of easy for people to pile on.

The problem is he needs reps but there's no real path to getting them

He's had 420 pass attempts since high school. Total

There were 17 QBs in the NFL last year to have more than 420 pass attempts

The dude just has no experience, but the 9ers aren't in a position to allow him to get that experience. They're trying to win, and while Purdy doesn't have the same upside, he played well enough last year

Anthony Richardson is in a similar situation with under 400 pass attempts in college and really only 1 year of experience, but the Colts are fine with just letting him get reps for a couple years and working it out. Same as the Bills with Josh Allen a few years ago and with Fields the last 2 years in Chicago

At this point, I don't think practice is gonna do much for Lance, he needs to play. But if the 9ers let him play, they'll probably miss their window with the rest of the team

It may not be entirely his fault, but he might be one of the bigger busts we've had recently when you factor in everything they gave up to get him and how they didn't need him.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#166 » by righterwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:

I didn't watch. But I can't imagine much will change. As far as public perception. He's got a ton of doubters. The only way to change that is to step up when it matters as a starter. Unfortunately for him, that isn't likely to happen. Unless something we're to happen to Purdy.

You didn't watch? You seem so heavily invested though.

Why don't you watch the highlights and come back with your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/O5bplSn1_d4?t=350

Just a little background, he threw for 175 yards and 2 TDs in about one quarter of play, including the game winning drive.

BTW, he won't be starter as long as Brock Purdy is healthy. Purdy went 7-0 with two playoff wins and had the highest QB rating in the league. No one should judge him based on not beating out Purdy for QB1.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#167 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:40 pm

righterwriter wrote:You didn't watch? You seem so heavily invested though.

Just a little background, he threw for 175 yards and 2 TDs in about one quarter of play, including the game winning drive.

BTW, he won't be starter as long as Brock Purdy is healthy. Purdy went 7-0 with two playoff wins and had the highest QB rating in the league. No one should judge him based on not beating out Purdy for QB1.

Watching Highlights doesn't tell the whole story when evaluating a player. :wink:

Btw I did watch the Raider game. For the most part, It wasn't pretty.

You can make excuses about his lack of experience & the injury. But the guy simply hasn't shown enough to warrant the pick & the draft capital given up at this point. It's completely fair to judge him & the team on that. Now in his third year, he should be challenging Purdy for the starting job. Not fighting for the backup spot. If we're being honest here.

Tbf I had my reservations about him coming out of the draft. Which I'm sure you can pull up from the past. I questioned whether his skillset would translate at the next level. So yes, I am one of his doubters.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#168 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:47 pm

DOT wrote:It may not be entirely his fault, but he might be one of the bigger busts we've had recently when you factor in everything they gave up to get him and how they didn't need him.

That QB class outside of Lawrence is looking really bleak at the moment. I had Mac ranked as the #2 QB that year. Which should tell you everything. :wink:
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by righterwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:You didn't watch? You seem so heavily invested though.

Watching Highlights doesn't tell the whole story when evaluating a player. :wink:

Btw I did watch the Raider game. For the most part, It wasn't pretty.

You can make excuses about his lack of experience & the injury. But the guy simply hasn't shown enough to warrant the pick & the draft capital given up at this point. It's completely fair to judge him & the team on that. Now in his third year, he should be challenging Purdy for the starting job. Not fighting for the backup spot. If we're being honest here.

Tbf I had my reservations about him coming out of the draft. Which I'm sure you can pull up from the past. I questioned whether his skillset would translate at the next level. So yes, I am one of his doubters.

Looks a lot like you're not answering the question, or really making any effort to analyze his performance. Is that because you know that it would run counter to the rather loud opinion you've had on him to this point? If so... yikes. Not great for a guy that was quoting a post of mine from a year ago as if it was a victory lap or something.

Since you didn't watch, and won't even take a few minutes to watch, I'll tell you how he played. He started slow, threw a pick on a screen pass on his first drive. Was a bit shaky in between making good passes at the beginning. Then he absolutely was on fire for his last several drives. Made every throw at different levels with incredible accuracy. Showed no hesitation. Ran and scrambled well. Performed in the clutch on his last two drives with a TD drive to bring the team within two points, then a drive to hit a chip shot game winning field goal.

175 Yds passing in 16 minutes of play and a game winning drive should be enough to say that he was excellent.

You also ignored my point about how Lance losing the starting job to a guy who was statistically one of the best QBs in the league from the moment he started his first game is not a statement of Lance "being a bust."

You seem to be missing the story on Lance and the entirety of the QB situation in SF. Lance had one start as a rookie (which he won), was injured in his second game in season 2, and played one half in a preseason game... is that enough for anyone to loudly proclaim what type of player he is?

Tell you what, watch the highlights... its a couple minutes of your time. If you come back with an analysis we can discuss it. If you refuse to, we'll know you're not in this for finding the truth about things, but just about keeping your original opinion protected.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#170 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:24 pm

righterwriter wrote:Since you didn't watch, and won't even take a few minutes to watch

I will watch the game & not just the highlights, at some point in the next couple days. I like to watch the film. :wink:

Not a whole lot to take from just watching highlights.

Fwiw I will give Lance credit if he starts to play well. Up to this point, he's been QB3 on the depth chart for that team.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by righterwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Since you didn't watch, and won't even take a few minutes to watch

I will watch the game & not just the highlights, at some point in the next couple days. I like to watch the film. :wink:

Fwiw I will give Lance credit if he starts to play well. Up to this point, he's been QB3 on the depth chart for that team.

Looking forward to your observations. Please quote our discussion here when you post so I can hear your analysis.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#172 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:26 pm

righterwriter wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Looking forward to your observations. Please quote our discussion here when you post so I can hear your analysis.

Alright, so here are my observations.

I thought his performance was a mixed bag if I'm being completely honest. I made sure to chart each play/drive.

His first two drives weren't so successful. The interception came off a screen pass. It was a poor pass. Easy INT.

On the second drive, he had one third down conversion. As well as a poor decision that nearly lead to another Interception (LB Drew Sanders).

Third Drive, started out with a pass that was thrown directly at a defender (#45). It should have resulted in another turnover. Frankly, Lance was very fortunate that the drive continued at that point.

The one thing I noticed is that most of his success came when the ball came out quick & he made precise reads. His struggles coincided when the play broke down or was under pressure. The failed two point conversion is a prime example of this.

The last possession of the game was almost entirely made up of YAC plays. The two big plays in particular, we're almost entirely off YAC. Which resulted in the FG attempt. I credit more the WR's/playmakers.

Overall, his performance was better than the previous week against the Raiders. You have to give him credit for overcoming some early struggles.

It appeared that the game plan was to make things fairly simple for Lance.

Some positives (end of game) & negatives (turnover worthy plays) we're my biggest takeaway.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,802

Post#173 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 pm

TORONTO BLUE JAYS/LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WIN! TORONTO BLUE JAYS/LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!

OH YA!
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#174 » by righterwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:15 pm

Thank you for the observations.

I agree on his two bad throws, being the INT and the near INT.

I would say that most of his throws were not "YAC plays", especially on the last two drives. They were quite difficult timing throws through small windows in tight coverage about 10-15 yards downfield. On the last play of the last drive, the receiver made a nice play to get more yards, but the ball was delivered in a difficult spot due to the ability and vision of Lance.

He threw for 175 yards in basically one quarter, on 12-18 passing, and converted on two drives at the end of the game that had to be made or else they lose.

I know its preseason, but if analysts are going to savage him for one half of subpar preseason football last week, they should also be willing to admit the great plays and success he had this week in preseason week 2. Maybe the lesson is for all people to not overreact so much when things are good or bad, especially with young QBs (Lance turned 23 in May) that need game experience to improve.

If anyone else wants to watch all of his throws/passes, here ya go:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#175 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:57 am

righterwriter wrote:Thank you for the observations.

I would say that most of his throws were not "YAC plays", especially on the last two drives. They were quite difficult timing throws through small windows in tight coverage about 10-15 yards downfield. On the last play of the last drive, the receiver made a nice play to get more yards, but the ball was delivered in a difficult spot due to the ability and vision of Lance.

He threw for 175 yards in basically one quarter, on 12-18 passing, and converted on two drives at the end of the game that had to be made or else they lose.

I know its preseason, but if analysts are going to savage him for one half of subpar preseason football last week, they should also be willing to admit the great plays and success he had this week in preseason week 2. Maybe the lesson is for all people to not overreact so much when things are good or bad, especially with young QBs (Lance turned 23 in May) that need game experience to improve.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,419

Post#176 » by azcatz11 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:38 am

I honestly can't make any reasonable observations from pre season.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by righterwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:09 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Thank you for the observations.

Nice video showing of 3 of his 12 completions.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#178 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:24 am

righterwriter wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Funny.

You should see the previous breakdown (Raiders film). It's comedy.

righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by righterwriter » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:05 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Funny.

You should see the previous breakdown (Raiders film). It's comedy.

Was that part of your previous video posting bonanza of videos slamming Lance?

Looking forward to you posting all the videos of analysts breaking down this game and focusing on the many positives.

Here's one:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#180 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:20 am

JT puts out good content. Especially for someone who played in the league at one time. He's going to always give you the good & the bad.

Lance just happens to have more of the bad than what is the norm. :wink:

I think it's completely fair to say that he still has a lot of stuff in his game that he needs to clean up.

Return to The General NFL Board