Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Re: Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#101 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:19 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:With Caleb? There is none. The only bust factor would be due to injury. People are making too big of a deal with the off-field stuff.

The off the field stuff could be a huge deal or it could be nothing. He has elite talent and in today’s game being 6’1” shouldn’t be an issue. What is his NFL comp? Drew Brees?

What off field stuff are you talking about? Lol

Yea off the field is not really the correct term. He doesn’t get in trouble off the field or anything like that. From everything I’ve read about him it has more to do with his personality and his leadership abilities (or lack there of).
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#102 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The off the field stuff could be a huge deal or it could be nothing. He has elite talent and in today’s game being 6’1” shouldn’t be an issue. What is his NFL comp? Drew Brees?

What off field stuff are you talking about? Lol

Yea off the field is not really the correct term. He doesn’t get in trouble off the field or anything like that. From everything I’ve read about him it has more to do with his personality and his leadership abilities (or lack there of).

He says what's on his mind. Which can rub people the wrong way. His teammates seem to like him. But there's no denying the talent. If you're Chicago, you take him & don't think twice about it.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#103 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Joe Milton is horrible. The dude legit can’t throw anything with accuracy. It’s laughable how bad he is. Watch the senior bowl practices

His film is better than I thought it would be. But he's definitely a project. The biggest knock on him is that he's been in school for 6 years & only been a full-time starter for one.

Milton’s accuracy at the Combine looked good and he has good size and athleticism. He is clearly a project though. He seems like he would be better off going to a team with an established QB. The Jets might be a good place for Milton.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#104 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:37 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Joe Milton is horrible. The dude legit can’t throw anything with accuracy. It’s laughable how bad he is. Watch the senior bowl practices

His film is better than I thought it would be. But he's definitely a project. The biggest knock on him is that he's been in school for 6 years & only been a full-time starter for one.

He has the worst accuracy I’ve seen…imo

fwiw I don't put a lot of stock into the Senior Bowl. I think his accuracy has actually improved on film. Some team will take a flyer on him. Likely on day three of the draft because of his arm talent alone.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Post#105 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Caleb is special. The Bears would be beyond stupid to stick with Fields. They won't.

There are two bonified #1 picks in this draft. One is Caleb. The other is Jayden Daniels.

Special to who? He hasn't done anything yet. Just on his size alone, I personally wouldn't want him. Bears will only ruin him anyway.

He has an elite arm. His footwork is top notch. He can play on schedule. But his ability to play out of structure is special. Very Mahomes like.

He had to carry USC & be superman for them to be competitive. He's a bonifide slam dunk franchise QB. The Bears will be much improved this year with him as the starter.

Doesn't mean his talent and lack of size will translate to the next level. Plus I highly doubt he will last the season behind the Bears O-line anyway.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#106 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Special to who? He hasn't done anything yet. Just on his size alone, I personally wouldn't want him. Bears will only ruin him anyway.

He has an elite arm. His footwork is top notch. He can play on schedule. But his ability to play out of structure is special. Very Mahomes like.

He had to carry USC & be superman for them to be competitive. He's a bonifide slam dunk franchise QB. The Bears will be much improved this year with him as the starter.

Doesn't mean his talent and lack of size will translate to the next level. Plus I highly doubt he will last the season behind the Bears O-line anyway.

Lack of size? He's an inch shorter than Mahomeboy. He'll be fine. He's not Kyler Murray.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#107 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:He has an elite arm. His footwork is top notch. He can play on schedule. But his ability to play out of structure is special. Very Mahomes like.

Lack of size? He's an inch shorter than Mahomeboy. He'll be fine. He's not Kyler Murray.

Going to the Bears will be bad for his career. He will get ruined there.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#108 » by hermes » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:What's the bust potential?

With Caleb? There is none. The only bust factor would be due to injury. People are making too big of a deal with the off-field stuff.

that's probably what they said about ryan leaf too

always a chance things don't work out (even without an injury)
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#109 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:26 pm

Simms has a pretty good history with his picks. He had Stroud #1 on his list last year.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#110 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Simms has a pretty good history with his picks. He had Stroud #1 on his list last year.

Read on Twitter

I mentioned Bo Nix in here about 3 months ago and (can’t remember who) said he was a terrible QB. There’s a good chance Bo Nix will end up being the best QB in this class.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#111 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 6, 2024 8:33 pm

Mr B wrote:I mentioned Bo Nix in here about 3 months ago and (can’t remember who) said he was a terrible QB. There’s a good chance Bo Nix will end up being the best QB in this class.

I have him ahead of Penix also.

The top two guys are pretty much locks. But I think the gap is fairly close for QB3. Maye is younger with more upside. But Nix could step in & play right away.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#112 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:31 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Simms has a pretty good history with his picks. He had Stroud #1 on his list last year.

Read on Twitter

I mentioned Bo Nix in here about 3 months ago and (can’t remember who) said he was a terrible QB. There’s a good chance Bo Nix will end up being the best QB in this class.

IMHO, the QB from LSU is the most NFL ready right now. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes first.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#113 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:48 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:I mentioned Bo Nix in here about 3 months ago and (can’t remember who) said he was a terrible QB. There’s a good chance Bo Nix will end up being the best QB in this class.

The top two guys are pretty much locks. But I think the gap is fairly close for QB3. Maye is younger with more upside. But Nix could step in & play right away.

It’s pretty much a given that Chicago and Washington will find a way to screw up when it comes to drafting a QB. Whoever goes to NE has a chance. Penix, Nix, and McCarthy should all go to decent teams (or at least teams that aren’t terrible). Of those 3 QB Nix and Penix have the best shot to be great (in my opinion).
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#114 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:52 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

It’s pretty much a given that Chicago and Washington will find a way to screw up when it comes to drafting a QB. Whoever goes to NE has a chance. Penix, Nix, and McCarthy should all go to decent teams (or at least teams that aren’t terrible). Of those 3 QB Nix and Penix have the best shot to be great (in my opinion).

I'm hearing and it looks like to me that the Patriots will be trading down to stock pile picks. Who is mostly likely to move up to take a QB is something worth discussing.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#115 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:51 pm

Mr B wrote:Penix, Nix, and McCarthy should all go to decent teams (or at least teams that aren’t terrible). Of those 3 QB Nix and Penix have the best shot to be great (in my opinion).

The thing with Penix is that he has to go to a team with a solid offensive line. If he goes to a team with poor O-line, he'll struggle. When he has a clean pocket, he's very good. But his performance when he's pressured on a consistent basis drops off significantly. You saw that in the matchup against Michigan. That's my biggest concern with him.
Mr B
RealGM

Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#116 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:12 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Penix, Nix, and McCarthy should all go to decent teams (or at least teams that aren’t terrible). Of those 3 QB Nix and Penix have the best shot to be great (in my opinion).

The thing with Penix is that he has to go to a team with a solid offensive line. If he goes to a team with poor O-line, he'll struggle. When he has a clean pocket, he's very good. But his performance when he's pressured on a consistent basis drops off significantly. You saw that in the matchup against Michigan. That's my biggest concern with him.

Yea, where he’s expected to be drafted though he’s likely to get drafted by a team with a good OL. Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Dallas (fingers crossed), or Tampa (if the lose Baker) would all be good fits for Penix.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#117 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:27 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Which QB isn't that true of?

All QBs will do much better if they can sit in the pocket for at least 4 seconds, have a chance to see which WRs break open and step into the throw.

Often, pass rush forces him to rush his throw and throw off balance or as he's about to get hit, which also disrupts his mechanics.

The elite QBs are those who can deal with pressure, deliver despite the pressure.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#118 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:32 am

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yea, where he’s expected to be drafted though he’s likely to get drafted by a team with a good OL. Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Dallas (fingers crossed), or Tampa (if the lose Baker) would all be good fits for Penix.

Jerry said he wasn't drafting a QB this year. He's all in on Dak & Lance. I heard him say it.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#119 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:51 am

wco81 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The thing with Penix is that he has to go to a team with a solid offensive line. If he goes to a team with poor O-line, he'll struggle. When he has a clean pocket, he's very good. But his performance when he's pressured on a consistent basis drops off significantly. You saw that in the matchup against Michigan. That's my biggest concern with him.

Which QB isn't that true of?

All QBs will do much better if they can sit in the pocket for at least 4 seconds, have a chance to see which WRs break open and step into the throw.

Often, pass rush forces him to rush his throw and throw off balance or as he's about to get hit, which also disrupts his mechanics.

The elite QBs are those who can deal with pressure, deliver despite the pressure.

Penix is not the most mobile QB. His success rate against pressure is significantly lower.

UW had one of the best offensive lines in College Football this past year. It was a big reason for their success. But if you take that away, he's not nearly as good or consistent. The numbers would support that.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,554

Post#120 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:28 am

Penix is basically a non mobile Jalen hurts.

Return to The General NFL Board