Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects

Moderator: bwgood77

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#61 » by El Turco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
El Turco wrote:There is no way a top receiver prospect skips the draft. They are not protected like quarterbacks, their careers can be quite short.

Sure, but they also get paid in college now so there's not the same urgency to cash in.

They get NFL service year closer to the big second contract/extension that pays significantly better than college. Even most good receivers get two big contracts at most.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#62 » by Charlesareed » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:26 pm

Keep fields trade the #1 pick to raiders for a kings ransom including brings in Devante Adams draft TE Brock Bowers with our own pick bring in a oc/play caller sign a ot’ol’cb thus team will good
Chicago Raised me
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:06 pm

Get #1 pick, trade down for tons of assets, get #1 again, trade down again for more assets. Sounds good for Bears. Otoh they did miss a 50/50 chance to get Stroud.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#64 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:55 pm

Charlesareed wrote:Keep fields trade the #1 pick to raiders for a kings ransom including brings in Devante Adams draft TE Brock Bowers with our own pick bring in a oc/play caller sign a ot’ol’cb thus team will good

Main argument against keeping Fields would be that he would need to get paid soon whereas a rookie QB would be cheap for 4 seasons.

So a way to build up the rest of the team.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#65 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:34 am

wco81 wrote:
Charlesareed wrote:Keep fields trade the #1 pick to raiders for a kings ransom including brings in Devante Adams draft TE Brock Bowers with our own pick bring in a oc/play caller sign a ot’ol’cb thus team will good

Main argument against keeping Fields would be that he would need to get paid soon whereas a rookie QB would be cheap for 4 seasons.

So a way to build up the rest of the team.

I wouldn’t expect Fields to break the bank with his next contract. A rookie contract will still be cheaper but Fields has no leverage if he wants a big contract. The Bears should be able to resign him to a very team friendly deal if they want to keep him.
wco81
RealGM

Post#66 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 am

But for a starting NFL QB, a "team-friendly" contract is still over $30-35 million a year.

Maybe the team-friendly part of it is that team can opt out after a couple of years or only a like half is guaranteed.

If they don't trade Fields, he would have more leverage, because the Bears would have pretty much committed to him.

Of course they could screw him over and tag him a couple of times and delay giving him a big contract. But then I think the AAV is actually higher in that case.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#67 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:46 am

wco81 wrote:But for a starting NFL QB, a "team-friendly" contract is still over $30-35 million a year.

Maybe the team-friendly part of it is that team can opt out after a couple of years or only a like half is guaranteed.

If they don't trade Fields, he would have more leverage, because the Bears would have pretty much committed to him.

Of course they could screw him over and tag him a couple of times and delay giving him a big contract. But then I think the AAV is actually higher in that case.

I believe a franchise tag would be over $40M I believe. He ain’t worth that. I could see him getting in the $25M-$30M range. He hasn’t played well enough for another team to pay him more than that.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#68 » by gambitx777 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:36 am

If y'all wanna hear my thoughts on Caleb Williams go watch the movie draft day!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
wco81
RealGM

Post#69 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:04 pm

I didn’t realize that Jerry Rice’s son is a senior at USC with 12 TD this season, though not a lot of catches or yards.

6-3 205 with supposedly good speed. But scouting report says not as physical as his size would suggest and not consistent, have waves of productivity. Rated day 3 prospect or maybe 3rd\4th round grade.

Jerry wasn’t the fastest or the biggest, didn’t play in the big conferences. It will be interesting to see how his son does in NFL. But maybe not a lot of interest or he would have entered the draft alter junior year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#70 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Also for 49ers fans, Frank Gore Jr. declared for the draft but is rated 14th RB prospect, 5-8, 195 pounds. No word on 40 times.
wco81
RealGM

Post#71 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:54 am

Mike Greenberg of ESPN is trying to make it a thing that Caleb would force his way to the Commanders since Kingsbury signed there and Washington is his home.

Also don't want to go to Chicago.

But some of the former player analysts at ESPN says Maye has the size and athletic profile which are more coveted in the league, a Josh Allen type or going back further, a more athletic Rothlisberger.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:12 pm

wco81 wrote:Mike Greenberg of ESPN is trying to make it a thing that Caleb would force his way to the Commanders since Kingsbury signed there and Washington is his home.

But some of the former player analysts at ESPN says Maye has the size and athletic profile which are more coveted in the league, a Josh Allen type or going back further, a more athletic Rothlisberger.

Honestly if I’m Chicago I’m drafting Marvin Jr at #1 and **** the top of this draft all up. Invest in Fields. Give him an elite WR target and then the best OL at pick 9.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 107

Post#73 » by Mariner » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
wco81 wrote:Mike Greenberg of ESPN is trying to make it a thing that Caleb would force his way to the Commanders since Kingsbury signed there and Washington is his home.

Honestly if I’m Chicago I’m drafting Marvin Jr at #1 and **** the top of this draft all up. Invest in Fields. Give him an elite WR target and then the best OL at pick 9.

Maybe in a trade back scenario.
At least trade back with New England then take him.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,042

Post#74 » by Wallace_Wallace » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:50 pm

You don't always have to draft a QB with the first pick, Caleb Williams sounds like a f'ing headache already. Trade down the pick with a "big market" team for more assets/picks. Unfortunately unlike the NBA, the winning teams are the big market teams, and they don't need a Caleb Williams messing around their locker room. Not sure what this guy is on, but his ego seems to be bigger than Cam Newton and Baker Mayfield, wish you luck dude.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Post#75 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:07 pm

I'm not a Bears fan, but I have personally come to the conclusion they should keep Fields and trade down and get as many picks as they can this year and next. I believe that would be best for the Bears moving forward.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#76 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not a Bears fan, but I have personally come to the conclusion they should keep Fields and trade down and get as many picks as they can this year and next. I believe that would be best for the Bears moving forward.

If I were the Bears management I would also keep Fields. Draft Harrison Jr to pair with DJ Moore and the draft the best OL with their second 1st round pick.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#77 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:You don't always have to draft a QB with the first pick, Caleb Williams sounds like a f'ing headache already. Trade down the pick with a "big market" team for more assets/picks. Unfortunately unlike the NBA, the winning teams are the big market teams, and they don't need a Caleb Williams messing around their locker room. Not sure what this guy is on, but his ego seems to be bigger than Cam Newton and Baker Mayfield, wish you luck dude.

Sure sounds like he AND his dad are f'ing headaches…

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10110966-nfl-rumors-caleb-williams-father-carl-broached-idea-of-qb-getting-ownership-stake
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
wco81
RealGM

Post#78 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not a Bears fan, but I have personally come to the conclusion they should keep Fields and trade down and get as many picks as they can this year and next. I believe that would be best for the Bears moving forward.

If I were the Bears management I would also keep Fields. Draft Harrison Jr to pair with DJ Moore and the draft the best OL with their second 1st round pick.

The big incentive is to reset their payroll so that they don't have to pay Fields a huge salary the season after next.

You pushed that out for 4-5 seasons with a rookie, assuming he's good enough to start right away.

The Bears GM was comparing Caleb to Mahomes, noted that Caleb also releases passes at different arm angles, which is not that common among QBs.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:34 am

wco81 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

The big incentive is to reset their payroll so that they don't have to pay Fields a huge salary the season after next.

You pushed that out for 4-5 seasons with a rookie, assuming he's good enough to start right away.

The Bears GM was comparing Caleb to Mahomes, noted that Caleb also releases passes at different arm angles, which is not that common among QBs.

There are just too many red flags in Caleb Williams and there’s no guarantee Drake Maye will be any good. Trust me I get the idea of resetting their cap by not paying Fields (because I would do the same thing Dak) however Fields is still young. Fields is an ascending player and should really improve by adding a generational talent at WR and by beefing up the OL.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#80 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:35 am

Wild prediction for this draft. The Denver Broncos will draft JJ McCarthy at 12.

Return to The General NFL Board