Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:48 pm

OK, he's been discussed in various threads but his (and his father's) off-field shenanigans merit a proper thread.

Might as well start early with the next draft thread, since they're calling some of the prospects generational.

So apparently, Caleb's team talked up him getting NFL team equity AFTER he threw 3 ints. vs. ND.

This was on top of his father saying he may go back to USC for his senior year to avoid ending up on a bad NFL team. Um, does he know how the draft works? If he wants his son to be drafted first overall, it's highly likely to be to a bad team. There's the chance of a blockbuster trade but the team with the best roster, say the Eagles for sake of argument, isn't going to get the #1 pick.

Especially with the hype surrounding Caleb and this draft class overall, the teams which finish last this season are not likely to trade a top 3 pick.

If Caleb has some other difficult games -- he's had bag games vs. Utah last year and ND this year -- does he lose a lot of shine?

If Bryce Young struggles to show improvement, does the hype around Caleb, whom many consider "undersized," lose some steam?

But regardless of which team he goes to, he's going to be under a microscope with all the billing -- best QB prospect since Luck, would be drafted ahead of both Lawrence and Burrow in a re-draft, etc.

Seems like most of the hype is around playmaking, the movement in and out of the pocket, the passes on the run.

So the best QBs in the NFL at playmaking are Mahomes and Allen. Both these QBs soared towards their ceilings in their second seasons. Hell even Burrow flashed as a rookie and back in the day, Luck carried the Colts into the playoffs very early in his career.

If Caleb is to live up to these standards, we should know pretty quickly if he's for real.

But a lot of fans are going to be ready to pounce if he falters, because of his and his father's antics. So there will be a lot of fan interest on the trajectory of his pro career.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,555

Re: Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 am

I'd honestly be shocked if he doesn't live up to the hype. Are we sure this is even a good USC team without him? Their defense is legit bad. They have excellent wide receives in Rice and Branch.

He really does remind me of Mahomes though but with better speed
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:17 am

The Bears, Raiders, Broncos, Giants, Cardinals, Patriots or Jets would love to get a crack at Caleb. I know Chicago has Fields and The Cards have Murray but I think both move on easily. Chicago probably still gets a good haul back for Fields and some team probably still believes Kyler is still worth the risk.

Say for whatever reason Chicago sticks with Fields and makes the #1 overall pick available I could see a boat load of picks going from one of the above mentioned teams. Seen a article that said Vegas should move Adams, their pick if its in the top 4-5 plus every day 1-2-3 picks they have plus another first. Basically everything outside Crosby
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,671

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:19 am

I’ve been very high on Caleb for a very long time and I still am.

With that being said, I will admit that the highlight plays have somewhat blinded me to some of his flaws. And I do think the big knock on him is pretty legit. He doesnt play in structure all that often. Like you rarely see him do a 3 step drop and fire it right after that first hitch. Compare that to Maye, he plays in structure much more often and much better.

Don’t get me wrong the top tier guys in the league are the ones that are able to do great plays outside of structure. But the majority of plays are in structure and they’re elite at that. The gap between Caleb and Maye has closed significantly for me and this is even with me having a massive bias against Maye.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:37 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I’ve been very high on Caleb for a very long time and I still am.

With that being said, I will admit that the highlight plays have somewhat blinded me to some of his flaws. And I do think the big knock on him is pretty legit. He doesnt play in structure all that often. Like you rarely see him do a 3 step drop and fire it right after that first hitch. Compare that to Maye, he plays in structure much more often and much better.

Don’t get me wrong the top tier guys in the league are the ones that are able to do great plays outside of structure. But the majority of plays are in structure and they’re elite at that. The gap between Caleb and Maye has closed significantly for me and this is even with me having a massive bias against Maye.

The Wilson Rule.

Caleb is still going to be the #1 pick unless he just completely falls on his face going forward.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:06 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I’ve been very high on Caleb for a very long time and I still am.

The Wilson Rule.

Caleb is still going to be the #1 pick unless he just completely falls on his face going forward.

Oh ya agreed he's going #1 and I still have him #1. But I am at the point now where if the Vikings get within range to trade up for Maye and they end up with him over Caleb, I aint going to be too sad. Maye play so much more within structure, but has shown he has all the tools and has been able to excel outside of structure as well.

But I have noticed watching the full games and you can see this from the highlights as well. Its like 8/10 of the top tier throws from Maye are right after that last step in his drop back and fires, or maybe one step and fire. Then you get a play or two of non structure play. Then you flip to Caleb and its like the opposite. Does his 3-5 step drop, and waits, waits, and then extends the play then makes a great throw. Those seem to be the majority of his big plays.

Again I still got Caleb #1, but like Ive said. I think the gap is smaller between Caleb and Maye than it is from Maye to whoever is #3.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#7 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:01 pm

So other than Caleb Williams who are the other top QB prospects in this draft?

Also who are some QB’s that I should be keeping an eye on that will likely go in the middle rounds?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,328

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:25 pm

Amen !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,555

Post#9 » by azcatz11 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:52 pm

Mr B wrote:So other than Caleb Williams who are the other top QB prospects in this draft?

Also who are some QB’s that I should be keeping an eye on that will likely go in the middle rounds?

Drake Maye....

A QB that was once a FRP that will drop to the middle rounds is Tyler Van Dyke from Miami. Elite arm, size & questionable decision making.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:29 am

Mr B wrote:So other than Caleb Williams who are the other top QB prospects in this draft?

Caleb & Drake Maye (North Carolina) are pretty much the consensus top 2 QB's.

Michael Penix (Washington) is third. He's a lefty & more of a traditional pocket QB. I'd make a case that he's the best deep ball thrower in college. He's had two ACL injuries. Which might scare off some teams. But he has a great arm & a quick release.

Shedeur Sanders (Deion's son), would be 4th on my list after Penix. But the rumor is that he'll stay in school for another year.

Bo Nix (Oregon) is likely a Mid-Round guy.

Jayden Daniels (LSU)

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#11 » by Mr B » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Caleb & Drake Maye (North Carolina) are pretty much the consensus top 2 QB's.

Michael Penix (Washington), Shedeur Sanders (Deion's son), Quinn Ewers (Texas) & JJ McCarthy (Michigan) are the next tier of guys.

Penix is a lefty & more of a traditional pocket QB. I'd make a case that he's the best deep ball thrower in college. He's had two ACL injuries. Which might scare off some teams. But he has a great arm & a quick release.

Projection: 1st-3rd Round

Shedeur Sanders would be 4th on my list after Penix. But the rumor is that he'll stay in school for another year.

Quinn Ewers has struggled with consistency at Texas. But there are a lot of people on his bandwagon.

Projection: 3rd-4th Round

JJ McCarthy is in the perfect situation. As Michigan might be the best all around team in the country.

Is Quinn Ewers eligible for the draft in ‘24? I thought he was only 2 years removed from HS?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:40 pm

Mr B wrote:Is Quinn Ewers eligible for the draft in ‘24? I thought he was only 2 years removed from HS?

Yes.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:58 pm

I feel like Sanders/Ewers/McCarthy might be guys that need to almost be promised a 1st round or they will come back for next year. Ewers and McCarthy are both still only 20 years old. Ewers maybe in a tougher situation because he does have Arch waiting to play, so if Ewers comes back it maybe with him transferring.

I mean who are the big name Sophs at the QB this year that will be competing for the top QB spots in 2025? Klubnik?

I wont be shocked if its going to be Caleb/Maye/Penix as the 1st round guys. Then the next 3 guys decide to come back. Then we will have the next group be guys like Nix/Leonard/Daniels/Travis/Van Dyke
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

The Wilson Rule.

I call your MHJ as WR #2 hot take and raise you

Maye officially #1 QB for me now. I’ve seen enough.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:04 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I call your MHJ as WR #2 hot take and raise you

Lol I never said he was WR2. I'm not even sure how I would rank them. Malik Nabers is in the conversation though.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#16 » by hippesthippo » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:18 am

Holy Crap, the NFL Forums are finally active?! I've been waiting 20 years for this. What changed?

Oh, yeah. Caleb Williams... he good.

Shout out to C.J. Stroud. Every now and then I get something right.

I'm startled to see all of the activity here, so you'll have to excuse me.

Please resume.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#17 » by hippesthippo » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:20 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Amen !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Zach Wilson looked great playing out of structure his last year in college. How's that going?

It's a valuable Plan B, but it should always be just that; Plan B.

That said, I haven't seen enough of either QB yet to make any definitive statements.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#18 » by Worm Guts » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:07 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

The Wilson Rule.

Maye didn’t look particularly impressive today. His accuracy was definitely lacking.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#19 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:14 am

They showed an interesting graphic, Caleb vs. non top 25 teams and vs. top 25 teams

Big difference in stats, much lower pass completion percentage, from over 70% to under 52% and from over 310 yards per game vs. under 180 yards passing per game.

But out of 30 games, he’s only played top 25 teams only 5 times? That seems really low.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#20 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:36 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The Wilson Rule.

Maye didn’t look particularly impressive today. His accuracy was definitely lacking.

He jumped the gun lol. This is why it's never a good idea to judge a guy off of one game.

Return to The General NFL Board