Draft thread

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Re: Draft thread 

Post#121 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:54 pm

DOT wrote:This is the dumbest argument :lol:

Sr: "Well, if he gets drafted by the Cowboys, that's where he goes. I just won't wear a Cowboys jersey"

bjj: "WHY TROTTER JR NO WANT PLAY COWBOYS!!!! HIS FATHER SHOULDN'T CONTROL WHERE HE GOES!!11ONE1!"

:rofl:

Like, it's just so dumb that this dude is making such a fuss about this.

I'm not making a fuss about it at all. I could actually careless where the kid goes. What I am learning however, is there isn't much going on with the Jaguars so lets talk about all things Cowboys and Egals.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,313

Post#122 » by DOT » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not making a fuss about it at all. I could actually careless where the kid goes.

Read on Twitter

:lol:
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#123 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:20 pm

DOT wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not making a fuss about it at all. I could actually careless where the kid goes.

Read on Twitter

:lol:

Why would a Jaguar fan be upset or mad about anything.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 326

Post#124 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:33 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Why would a Jaguar fan be upset or mad about anything.

Right. At least the Jags have been to a conference championship in the last 25 years.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#125 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

The Commies might actually be decent if they hit on a QB.

Read on Twitter

The sleeper pick in the NFC this upcoming season. Once every 8 to 11 years, Washington seems to find a way to crap out a division title. As much as it would sicken me, this might be their sneaky year to surprise being so under the radar for so long.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#126 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Why would a Jaguar fan be upset or mad about anything.

Right. At least the Jags have been to a conference championship in the last 25 years.

Did they win?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#127 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

The Commies might actually be decent if they hit on a QB.

Read on Twitter

The sleeper pick in the NFC this upcoming season. Once every 8 to 11 years, Washington seems to find a way to crap out a division title. As much as it would sicken me, this might be their sneaky year to surprise being so under the radar for so long.

If they pick the right QB I could the Commies winning the NFC East.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#128 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The Commies might actually be decent if they hit on a QB.

Read on Twitter

The rumor is that they like McCarthy.

If so, McCarthyism could be making a comeback in Washington. The Red Scare slogans will be fire, that's for sure. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#129 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 pm

Hope your right.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#130 » by WentzerWuver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The sleeper pick in the NFC this upcoming season. Once every 8 to 11 years, Washington seems to find a way to crap out a division title. As much as it would sicken me, this might be their sneaky year to surprise being so under the radar for so long.

If so, McCarthyism could be making a comeback in Washington. The Red Scare slogans will be fire, that's for sure. :wink:
Lol just because the latest official mock draft slated JJ being taken by the Redskins, there is NO WAY they will take him 2nd overall since NO other team would with more highly regarded QB still available. If they really want him, trading down to get at least an extra 1st round pick if not more. They can drop down to 11 and still get him. If Penix Jr didn't have his injury history, I would take him in the top 10 over JJ.

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-j-j-mccarthy-to-commanders-cowboys-target-brian-thomas-jr
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#131 » by righterwriter » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:If they pick the right QB I could the Commies winning the NFC East.

Lol just because the latest official mock draft slated JJ being taken by the Redskins, there is NO WAY they will take him 2nd overall since NO other team would with more highly regarded QB still available. If they really want him, trading down to get at least an extra 1st round pick if not more. They can drop down to 11 and still get him. If Penix Jr didn't have his injury history, I would take him in the top 10 over JJ.

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-j-j-mccarthy-to-commanders-cowboys-target-brian-thomas-jr

McCarthy seems to be the guy that every team wants another team to draft in the top-5. I believe there has been lots of positioning through the media in order to boost his value and get a team to trade up for him, then they can draft the guy they really want.

I think the NFL is convinced that ARI will not let MHJ slide by at #4. And they know that the Chargers are open season at #5 if a team wants to trade up and grab a QB there. With all that in mind, I think NE would love to trade the #3 to a team that wants McCarthy (the Vikings being the obvious choice). And then trade part of that package to get back to #5 and take Daniels.

If NE can get #11, #23, #108, and a future 1st and a future 2nd from Minnesota for #3. Then trade #11, #23, and the future 2nd to get back up to 5 to take Daniels, they get the QB they want and a couple valuable picks. The Chargers benefit by picking up #23 and a future 2nd to drop back six spots (where they'll take the RT they want to protect Herbert and open up the ground game).
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#132 » by WentzerWuver » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:55 pm

righterwriter wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The rumor is that they like McCarthy.

McCarthy seems to be the guy that every team wants another team to draft in the top-5. I believe there has been lots of positioning through the media in order to boost his value and get a team to trade up for him, then they can draft the guy they really want.

I think the NFL is convinced that ARI will not let MHJ slide by at #4. And they know that the Chargers are open season at #5 if a team wants to trade up and grab a QB there. With all that in mind, I think NE would love to trade the #3 to a team that wants McCarthy (the Vikings being the obvious choice). And then trade part of that package to get back to #5 and take Daniels.

If NE can get #11, #23, #108, and a future 1st and a future 2nd from Minnesota for #3. Then trade #11, #23, and the future 2nd to get back up to 5 to take Daniels, they get the QB they want and a couple valuable picks. The Chargers benefit by picking up #23 and a future 2nd to drop back six spots (where they'll take the RT they want to protect Herbert and open up the ground game).
Interesting perspective, but why are the Vikings the OBVIOUS choice for JJ?!? The only reason they signed Sam D is due to his cannon arm to get the ball to their deep threats like Jefferson and Addison. Only problem with that is he tends to pass to ghost more than to his teammates. Maye resembles Darnold more than those other QB with a huge cannon arm. I still think his floor is low and needs work as far as transitioning to the NFL but his ceiling is higher than any other QB in this class meaning he could be the next Josh Allen. Vikings are not a running team which JJ specialized in at Michigan.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/29/vikings-trade-up-yet-again-franchise-quarterback-drake-maye/

Here's a possibility that i think could happen which is NOT in any mock draft. Harbaugh drafts JJ at 5 cause of his complete understanding on how to implement Harbaugh's offensive schemes that won them the NCAAF CFP. He wants to bring the Michigan Way to the NFL and wants Michigan men like himself to make it happen. Besides JJ, Harbaugh will nab Corum and Roman later in the draft.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MkkKU4AGluM?si=oS9iCCLlNLxWylyu

https://youtube.com/shorts/sGy0SfosaQU?si=VTBNgX5WtbQoQg2b

Now imagine how much Harbaugh can get by trading Herbert who is an underachiever imo and needs a change in scenery along with Keenan, Ekeler and Williams. Herbert is still consider an elite QB in his prime so we are talking about 2 first round picks and a 3rd at a minimum with a bunch of suiters lining up begging to land him while clearing the Chargers of his huge contract as well.

Don't say it can't happen :)

I do like your take on NE trading down to accumulate picks and then trade back up like Miami did with the 49ers and the Eagles for Waddle. Agree NE will trade down but will have no intentions of drafting a franchise QB other than picking up a backup low in the draft and will ride with Jacoby as their starter after trading for him. Why? As a 1st year HC at any level, he doesn't need the added pressure of starting or having a franchise QB on his roster and will be better off drafting their franchise in the 2025 class. It's all about accumulating future picks now to rebuild their roster over any one player which is the Patriots Way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patriots-hc-jerod-mayo-reveals-true-feelings-on-bringing-back-qb-jacoby-brissett/ar-BB1ksiEl

My prediction on where the top QB will end up.

Caleb to Bears
Daniels to DC
Maye to Vikings
JJ to Chargers
Penix Jr to Seahawks
Bo to Broncos
Milton to Raiders
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#133 » by righterwriter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:25 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Lol just because the latest official mock draft slated JJ being taken by the Redskins, there is NO WAY they will take him 2nd overall since NO other team would with more highly regarded QB still available. If they really want him, trading down to get at least an extra 1st round pick if not more. They can drop down to 11 and still get him. If Penix Jr didn't have his injury history, I would take him in the top 10 over JJ.

Interesting perspective, but why are the Vikings the OBVIOUS choice for JJ?!? The only reason they signed Sam D is due to his cannon arm to get the ball to their deep threats like Jefferson and Addison. Only problem with that is he tends to pass to ghost more than to his teammates. Maye resembles Darnold more than those other QB with a huge cannon arm. I still think his floor is low and needs work as far as transitioning to the NFL but his ceiling is higher than any other QB in this class meaning he could be the next Josh Allen. Vikings are not a running team which JJ specialized in at Michigan.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/29/vikings-trade-up-yet-again-franchise-quarterback-drake-maye/

Here's a possibility that i think could happen which is NOT in any mock draft. Harbaugh drafts JJ at 5 cause of his complete understanding on how to implement Harbaugh's offensive schemes that won them the NCAAF CFP. He wants to bring the Michigan Way to the NFL and wants Michigan men like himself to make it happen. Besides JJ, Harbaugh will nab Corum and Roman later in the draft.

Now imagine how much Harbaugh can get by trading Herbert who is an underachiever imo and needs a change in scenery along with Keenan, Ekeler and Williams. Herbert is still consider an elite QB in his prime so we are talking about 2 first round picks and a 3rd at a minimum with a bunch of suiters lining up begging to land him while clearing the Chargers of his huge contract as well.

I do like your take on NE trading down to accumulate picks and then trade back up like Miami did with the 49ers and the Eagles for Waddle. Agree NE will trade down but will have no intentions of drafting a franchise QB other than picking up a backup low in the draft and will ride with Jacoby as their starter after trading for him. Why? As a 1st year HC at any level, he doesn't need the added pressure of starting or having a franchise QB on his roster and will be better off drafting their franchise in the 2025 class. It's all about accumulating future picks now to rebuild their roster over any one player which is the Patriots Way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patriots-hc-jerod-mayo-reveals-true-feelings-on-bringing-back-qb-jacoby-brissett/ar-BB1ksiEl

Caleb to Bears
Daniels to DC
Maye to Vikings
JJ to Chargers
Penix Jr to Seahawks
Bo to Broncos
Milton to Raiders

I like a lot of what you are thinking here. Harbaugh getting back his college QB, an Alex Smith type who manages the game and is a good leader for what is mostly a running offense.

I just don't see the Chargers trading Herbert now. If they'd wanted to deal him, they likely would have been able to trade him to the Bears for the #1, #9, and likely more picks and players. The fact that there are no Herbert trade rumors is enough to say that there likely hasn't been any discussion of it.

I think Minnesota is the team that trades up. Although you can't count out the Giants, too. Neither team plans to be this low again in the draft (no team does, but you can see these teams are stocking up for a playoff run after a down season), so they might want to grab a "surefire" QB while they have the chance. This is especially true for Minnesota which has no starting option at QB right now.

To be honest, I don't see it with McCarthy, but teams get QB crazy at the top of the draft. I think the guy who teams want is Drake Maye as a protoype QB with size and a great arm, with Daniels being a higher risk/higher reward guy they'd be okay with. McCarthy just feels like the guy they want another team to take. He seems like a mid-1st round QB prospect, but he gets a bump because of so many teams that need a QB.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#134 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:02 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Lol just because the latest official mock draft slated JJ being taken by the Redskins, there is NO WAY they will take him 2nd overall since NO other team would with more highly regarded QB still available. If they really want him, trading down to get at least an extra 1st round pick if not more. They can drop down to 11 and still get him. If Penix Jr didn't have his injury history, I would take him in the top 10 over JJ.

Caleb to Bears
Daniels to DC
Maye to Vikings
JJ to Chargers
Penix Jr to Seahawks
Bo to Broncos
Milton to Raiders

I sincerely hope all of those QB’s go in round 1.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#135 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:50 pm

righterwriter wrote:To be honest, I don't see it with McCarthy

It's hard to see it, unless you really dive into the film. I didn't really see it at first either.

Would I spend a top 5 pick on the guy? No. But I see why teams like him.

When it comes to QB's, it's the one position that you have to project what type of player they can be. Because most college QB's are going to improve & get better over time. Unless they have some kind of physical limitation, or they can't process quickly.

He would thrive in Shanahan's scheme.

WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#136 » by WentzerWuver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:51 pm

righterwriter wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
righterwriter wrote:

Caleb to Bears
Daniels to DC
Maye to Vikings
JJ to Chargers
Penix Jr to Seahawks
Bo to Broncos
Milton to Raiders

I like a lot of what you are thinking here. Harbaugh getting back his college QB, an Alex Smith type who manages the game and is a good leader for what is mostly a running offense.

I just don't see the Chargers trading Herbert now. If they'd wanted to deal him, they likely would have been able to trade him to the Bears for the #1, #9, and likely more picks and players. The fact that there are no Herbert trade rumors is enough to say that there likely hasn't been any discussion of it.

I think Minnesota is the team that trades up. Although you can't count out the Giants, too. Neither team plans to be this low again in the draft (no team does, but you can see these teams are stocking up for a playoff run after a down season), so they might want to grab a "surefire" QB while they have the chance. This is especially true for Minnesota which has no starting option at QB right now.

To be honest, I don't see it with McCarthy, but teams get QB crazy at the top of the draft. I think the guy who teams want is Drake Maye as a protoype QB with size and a great arm, with Daniels being a higher risk/higher reward guy they'd be okay with. McCarthy just feels like the guy they want another team to take. He seems like a mid-1st round QB prospect, but he gets a bump because of so many teams that need a QB.
I doubt Harbaugh will take JJ at 5 as well even if he wanted to cause of how his contract was structured meaning huge dead money involved like Wilson. And Michigan was a run oriented team so JJ never needed to develop the ability to read defenses let along going thru his progressions under the basic 1 read or run option offense. This means no one knows if he can adjust to learn how to once he's turns pro, especially under pressure.

And many top 10 drafted QB like Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson still can't read defenses in the pros where the pace is so much faster.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KFMQAtLT_3Q?si=nc1Cxp1Fi4TOBxon

The reason why Purdy was so successful coming out of college was by playing all 4 seasons in a pro style offense reading defense to refined his game while Trey only played 1 full season against weak competition so he was as raw as sushi. Yes, his upside was very high being so athletically gifted with no floor to land on.

https://youtu.be/I621PS3WS50?si=w1FgBiFRSSNNZ384
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#137 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:24 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:The reason why Purdy was so successful coming out of college was by playing all 4 seasons in a pro style offense reading defense to refined his game while Trey only played 1 full season against weak competition so he was as raw as sushi. Yes, his upside was very high being so athletically gifted with no floor to land on.

The success rate on QB's is about 40%. But the more starts in college, the higher the success rate climbs.

Brock Purdy is the poster child for this (48 games).

Jayden Daniels started 55 games & Bo Nix started 60 in college.

Meanwhile, McCarthy & Maye are on the opposite end. Both have less than 30 starts. The success rate for QB's with less than 30, drops to about 20%. It also strongly suggests that both would benefit from sitting early on.

Trey Lance started just 17 games.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by WentzerWuver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:29 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
righterwriter wrote:

Caleb to Bears
Daniels to DC
Maye to Vikings
JJ to Chargers
Penix Jr to Seahawks
Bo to Broncos
Milton to Raiders

I sincerely hope all of those QB’s go in round 1.
Milton is definitely a day 3 selection. He's not even better than Hooker whom he replaced after being drafted day 3 as well. Other than a bazooka arm and good 40 time, all other facets of his game is a work in progress. If the Raiders needed a strong arm QB badly enough, they should have gotten Fields for a 6th and 7th round picks cause they have big needs at most positions to be filled in the draft.

JJ should be a day 2 QB but will be taken in day 1 in the top 10 cause of all the unrealistic hype coming from all these so called draft experts. If Minny takes him, they should change their game to a heavy run loaded one like at Michigan.

Bo Nix will be taken in the 1st round cause his game is so refined to be a starter in the NFL. He read defenses and go thru progressions, even under pressure while making a few mistakes. An ideal spread offense pocket passer that should fit the Broncos as an immediate starter just fine.

Anyways I always pick a dark horse QB, those taken in the 5th rounds to being undrafted. Here is mine for this class.
https://youtu.be/m-biSFahwpY?si=aYHFUFr1rVIzYeO3

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#139 » by WentzerWuver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:The reason why Purdy was so successful coming out of college was by playing all 4 seasons in a pro style offense reading defense to refined his game while Trey only played 1 full season against weak competition so he was as raw as sushi. Yes, his upside was very high being so athletically gifted with no floor to land on.

The success rate on QB's is about 40%. But the more starts in college, the higher the success rate climbs.

Brock Purdy is the poster child for this.

Meanwhile, McCarthy & Maye are on the opposite end. Both have less than 30 starts. The success rate for QB's with less than 30, drops to about 20%. It also strongly suggests that both would benefit from sitting early on.

That should make sense to all teams drafting a QB which was why it was so odd why the 49ers select such a raw QB for a superbowl contender. Bo Nix would have been ideal for them if they needed a QB from this draft class.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#140 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:46 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The success rate on QB's is about 40%. But the more starts in college, the higher the success rate climbs.

Brock Purdy is the poster child for this.

That should make sense to all teams drafting a QB which was why it was so odd why the 49ers select such a raw QB for a superbowl contender. Bo Nix would have been ideal for them if they needed a QB from this draft class.

Nix- 61
Daniels- 55
Penix- 45
Williams- 33
McCarthy- 28
Maye- 26
Milton- 17

Again, the success rate drastically drops for those with less than 30.

Return to The General NFL Board