Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:17 pm

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Re: Draft thread 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:22 pm

Chicago has been gifted the #1 pick (again).

As Washington/New England battle for the 2nd pick.

That win yesterday cost Arizona good odds at landing the 2nd pick. Now, will likely have to settle for picking 4th (best case).
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:46 pm

Looks like the Vikings have a decent shot to climb into the top 10, too bad there's no chance of any of top 3 QB's falling out of the top 5. Do they reach for the 4th best QB or hope McCarthy, Penix or NIx is there in the 2nd round?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:53 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Looks like the Vikings have a decent shot to climb into the top 10, too bad there's no chance of any of top 3 QB's falling out of the top 5. Do they reach for the 4th best QB or hope McCarthy, Penix or NIx is there in the 2nd round?

If you plan on taking a QB, you're better off taking them somewhere in the 1st round. As the 5th year option is a huge advantage if you hit on that player.

Penix is better than both Nix & McCarthy. But his medical could be an issue for some teams.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 1, 2024 8:01 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Looks like the Vikings have a decent shot to climb into the top 10, too bad there's no chance of any of top 3 QB's falling out of the top 5. Do they reach for the 4th best QB or hope McCarthy, Penix or NIx is there in the 2nd round?

If you plan on taking a QB, you're better off taking them somewhere in the 1st round. As the 5th year option is a huge advantage if you hit on that player.

Penix is better than both Nix & McCarthy. But his medical could be an issue for some teams. I personally would try to trade up for Daniels if he's within range.

Just looking at the board, I would expect the Patriots and the Commanders to take QB's. The Bears might be willing to trade down, but not with the Vikings. So I'm kind of expecting the top 3 to be QBs. Maybe Arizona would trade down, I don't know.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#6 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 1, 2024 8:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Penix is better than both Nix & McCarthy. But his medical could be an issue for some teams. I personally would try to trade up for Daniels if he's within range.

We will know a lot more after the Combine. It’s likely that all these guys (Penix, Nix, and McCarthy) go in the 1st round because of that 5th year option. Penix, Nix and McCarthy likely go to good teams too. One of those guys could be the next Jordan Love.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

We will know a lot more after the Combine. It’s likely that all these guys (Penix, Nix, and McCarthy) go in the 1st round because of that 5th year option. Penix, Nix and McCarthy likely go to good teams too. One of those guys could be the next Jordan Love.

Having watched these guys, I doubt McCarthy is a 1st rounder. He's just not a 1st round talent. He honestly should stay in school.

Talent wise? Penix has the best arm of the three. It's not really close. But he's also had two ACL injuries to the same knee. So that will be a RedFlag for some or maybe most teams. He's also somewhat limited from a mobility perspective. He's going to be purely a pocket passer at the next level.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#8 » by goober » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:22 pm

I genuinely want the 49ers to draft Bo Nix, keep the cheap quarterbacks coming
wembambamya
Junior
And1: 114

Post#9 » by wembambamya » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:37 pm

goober wrote:I genuinely want the 49ers to draft Bo Nix, keep the cheap quarterbacks coming

I want Bucs to take Bo Nix too with their first round pick, I like quarterbacks that do well in a motion offense that has a lot of movement, that's what Canales is trying to implement as well. More likely Bucs are sticking with Baker though.

I dont think football is meant for Penix at the next level, 4 season ending injuries and having no ACL is not something you can survive with NFL pass rush falling on to you. I wouldnt touch him unless you alr. ady have quarterback and you take him as a depth piece.

JJ McCarthy is also late first, developmental type of guy. He might end up as the 3rd or 4th best qb of the draft but you'll need some patience. Not for Bucs.

Best player is Marvin Harrison Jr. I really wish we can get him as an heir to Mike Evans but he'll go top ten.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#10 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:If you plan on taking a QB, you're better off taking them somewhere in the 1st round. As the 5th year option is a huge advantage if you hit on that player.

Having watched these guys, I doubt McCarthy is a 1st rounder. He's just not a 1st round talent. He honestly should stay in school.

Talent wise? Penix has the best arm of the three. It's not really close. But he's also had two ACL injuries to the same knee. So that will be a RedFlag for some or maybe most teams. He's also somewhat limited from a mobility perspective. He's going to be purely a pocket passer at the next level.

Don’t be shocked if McCarthy sneaks into the bottom of the 1st round. Especially if Harbaugh decides to leave Michigan. If he ends up with the Raiders or Steelers I could see him picking his college QB in the mid 1st to develop.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 10:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:We will know a lot more after the Combine. It’s likely that all these guys (Penix, Nix, and McCarthy) go in the 1st round because of that 5th year option. Penix, Nix and McCarthy likely go to good teams too. One of those guys could be the next Jordan Love.

Don’t be shocked if McCarthy sneaks into the bottom of the 1st round. Especially if Harbaugh decides to leave Michigan. If he ends up with the Raiders or Steelers I could see him picking his college QB in the mid 1st to develop.

I don't see it. Really don't. I've watched him maybe a handful of times (live). I haven't come away impressed.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#12 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Jan 1, 2024 10:53 pm

I want the Raiders to go Oline or Dline.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,488

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:05 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Just looking at the board, I would expect the Patriots and the Commanders to take QB's. The Bears might be willing to trade down, but not with the Vikings. So I'm kind of expecting the top 3 to be QBs. Maybe Arizona would trade down, I don't know.

I think AZ would take Marvin Harrison Jr if he's there. If not I'd love the Chargers to take him. The Chargers could use players at so many positions though...WR, TE, OL, anywhere on D.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:If you plan on taking a QB, you're better off taking them somewhere in the 1st round. As the 5th year option is a huge advantage if you hit on that player.

I think AZ would take Marvin Harrison Jr if he's there. If not I'd love the Chargers to take him. The Chargers could use players at so many positions though...WR, TE, OL, anywhere on D.

Brock Bowers or Rome Odunze should fall in that range.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#15 » by hermes » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:21 pm

vikings have the same record as the bears? what a sad state of affairs

when did the bears become halfway decent?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,684

Post#16 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:22 pm

I’ve already come to accept that Vikings will miss out on Luke’s brother and end JJ will be in a Vikings uniform on the bench next year.
hermes
RealGM

Post#17 » by hermes » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

ah, the christian ponder approach
hermes
RealGM

Post#18 » by hermes » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:32 pm

i'd be wary of nix and penix

the only qb ever to make a super bowl with an 'x' in their name was rex grossman, seems inauspicious
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:42 pm

hermes wrote:i'd be wary of nix and penix

the only qb ever to make a super bowl with an 'x' in their name was rex grossman, seems inauspicious

Grossman had tiny hands.

Penix has huge hands. :wink:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 326

Post#20 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:45 pm

Wait, there's really a guy named Penix supposed to become a franchise QB?

Return to The General NFL Board