Draft thread

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Re: Draft thread 

Post#81 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:12 pm

So how does everyone here prefer for their team to draft? Draft for need or just take best available player? Or a mix of the two? I’m asking because I’ve been looking at the mock drafts recently and there is a player that has been dropping to pick 24 and it is a position of need however it’s lower on the list of needs. The player I’m talking about out is WR Brian Thomas Jr from LSU. The Cowboys need a LT, C, LB, and DT more than they need a WR. Brian Thomas Jr would be the best player on the board if he drops to 24 though.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 107

Post#82 » by Mariner » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:56 pm

Mr B wrote:So how does everyone here prefer for their team to draft? Draft for need or just take best available player? Or a mix of the two? I’m asking because I’ve been looking at the mock drafts recently and there is a player that has been dropping to pick 24 and it is a position of need however it’s lower on the list of needs. The player I’m talking about out is WR Brian Thomas Jr from LSU. The Cowboys need a LT, C, LB, and DT more than they need a WR. Brian Thomas Jr would be the best player on the board if he drops to 24 though.

BPA always.
Especially if you’re drafting in the top 10.
You draft for multiple years not one. Needs change from year to year. When you draft for need you usually reach.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#83 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:12 pm

It always has to be a combination. No reason to take BPA if he doesn’t upgrade the team, at the same time you don’t want to pass on a special talent because you have a solid starter at the position.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#84 » by DOT » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:00 am

How you value BPA depends on your needs, to be fair

But I think you should always go into the draft without a glaring hole (unless you're picking like top 3 and that hole is QB), so you don't have to force a pick that isn't there

Like, I'm having this conversation with the Giants fans on the Knicks board about if they should take McCarthy at 6. I think that's a reach, but some of them view it as they need a QB and he's likely gonna be the best QB available.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Mr B
RealGM

Post#85 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:43 am

DOT wrote:How you value BPA depends on your needs, to be fair

But I think you should always go into the draft without a glaring hole (unless you're picking like top 3 and that hole is QB), so you don't have to force a pick that isn't there

Like, I'm having this conversation with the Giants fans on the Knicks board about if they should take McCarthy at 6. I think that's a reach, but some of them view it as they need a QB and he's likely gonna be the best QB available.

That’s the way I see it and it’s why I hate what the Cowboys are doing. They have numerous glaring needs. I have a feeling they will be reaching all over this draft.

For me if the Center Jackson Powers-Johnson were still on the board I would take him over Brian Thomas Jr. I have a feeling though that JPJ will be gone and even though Brian Thomas Jr will be by far the best player on the board at 24 the Cowboys will reach for a LT.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 107

Post#86 » by Mariner » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 am

Mr B wrote:

That’s the way I see it and it’s why I hate what the Cowboys are doing. They have numerous glaring needs. I have a feeling they will be reaching all over this draft.

For me if the Center Jackson Powers-Johnson were still on the board I would take him over Brian Thomas Jr. I have a feeling though that JPJ will be gone and even though Brian Thomas Jr will be by far the best player on the board at 24 the Cowboys will reach for a LT.

This scenario has happened a few times.
The cowboys did not need a WR when they drafted Dez or Lamb. They trusted their board and took BPA.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#87 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:14 am

Mariner wrote:
Mr B wrote:

This scenario has happened a few times.
The cowboys did not need a WR when they drafted Dez or Lamb. They trusted their board and took BPA.

They also drafted for need though instead of BPA when they drafted Bobby Carpenter, Taco Charlton, and Mazi Smith. I do trust that Will McClay will take the best player however I’m getting a stronger sense of meddling from the Jones boys this year.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#88 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:25 am

I’d say there’s a very good chance they will use picks from the ‘25 draft if they want to move up.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Mr B
RealGM

Post#89 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:58 pm

Here is another scenario, would pick #24 be enough to trade with Buffalo for pick #28 and Stephon Diggs? Keeps in mind Diggs wants out of Buffalo so he’s likely gone anyways. The Bills would be moving up to draft WR Brian Thomas Jr.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 201

Post#90 » by WentzerWuver » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Mr B wrote:Here is another scenario, would pick #24 be enough to trade with Buffalo for pick #28 and Stephon Diggs? Keeps in mind Diggs wants out of Buffalo so he’s likely gone anyways. The Bills would be moving up to draft WR Brian Thomas Jr.
Only reason wants out Iis that Josh doesn't pass him the ball but only use him as a decoy for other receivers last season.

Mahomes is too scared to do that to Kelce...

https://youtube.com/shorts/07uHkj1oh8I?si=qjCtDtMkw6sxEu9A

Mahomes would be scared for his life Lol
Mr B
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:49 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:Here is another scenario, would pick #24 be enough to trade with Buffalo for pick #28 and Stephon Diggs? Keeps in mind Diggs wants out of Buffalo so he’s likely gone anyways. The Bills would be moving up to draft WR Brian Thomas Jr.
Only reason wants out Iis that Josh doesn't pass him the ball but only use him as a decoy for other receivers last season.

Yea that’s part of it. I think he also really wants to play on the same team as his brother. The Cowboys might be looking to trade up and a WR like Brian Thomas Jr makes sense for Buffalo. If the Cowboys can drop down a couple of spots and fill a need it makes sense for them too.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#92 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Post#93 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:06 pm

Mr B wrote:I’d say there’s a very good chance they will use picks from the ‘25 draft if they want to move up.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg

Why bother. I'd rather save them. McCarthy and Dak are coming back. Wasting picks on this years team is like recovering from syphilis and then catching gonorrhea.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

Yea that’s part of it. I think he also really wants to play on the same team as his brother. The Cowboys might be looking to trade up and a WR like Brian Thomas Jr makes sense for Buffalo. If the Cowboys can drop down a couple of spots and fill a need it makes sense for them too.
Until Dallasnextend Dak to be able drop their salary cap, they do not close to enough cap to assume Diggs contract even with some restructuring. Its why they were basically dormant during free agency. Would you give Dak that record breaking extension that he wants or just move on from him after this upcoming season if they cannot win in the playoffs once again?

https://youtu.be/6Ybn5ovIjbo?si=oirwsx88WZ58Ojfm

If I am Jerry's GM....I would trade Dak near the trading deadline if he is NOT in any MVP conversation but still trying to win games to make the playoffs for a future 1st and 3rd round pick. If they cannot get a 1st round pick whatsoever, than he ain't worth that huge extension many of his fans think he deserves imho. Since Dallas already gave the 49ers a 4th round pick for Trey Area, it's about time to cash in on his upside now that he had a full season to learn MM's Texas coast offense after failing to grasp Shanahan's conplex offense which basically led to his demise.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/49ers-complex-offense-comes-to-light-with-kyle-shanahan-micd-up/1248872/
Mr B
RealGM

Post#95 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:55 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Only reason wants out Iis that Josh doesn't pass him the ball but only use him as a decoy for other receivers last season.

Until they extend Dak to drop their salary cap, they do not enough cap to assume Diggs current salary even with some restructuring. Would you give Dak a record breaking extension to make it happen or just move on from him after this upcoming season if they cannot win in the playoffs once again?

If I am Jerry's GM....I would trade Dak near the trading deadline if we are still trying to win games to make the playoffs for a future 1st and 3rd round pick. If they cannot get a protected 1st round pick whatsoever, then he ain't worth that huge extension imho. Since they gave the 49ers a 4th round pick for Trey Area, it's about time to cash in on his upside now that he had a full season to learn MM Texas coast offense after failing to grasp Shanahan's conplex offense which basically led to his demise.

https://youtu.be/JgnIkfIiYGE?si=M61UoNoeS38q6Gca

The Diggs things is just my wish not an actual rumor. If the Cowboys wanted to clear enough space for Diggs they could. His brother, Steele and DLaw restructure should be enough. I doubt they do that though.

As for Dak, I would prefer they do not touch his contract and let him walk. He has a no trade clause so they can’t just trade him even if they wanted to. Also you can’t put protections on picks in the NFL like you can in the NBA. You’re either trading your 1st rounder or you’re not. Dak seems intent on hitting the open market so he’s not going to agree to a trade anyways.

The latest I heard the Cowboys are going to give all their young’s a chance so they can see exactly what they have. So that means we will see A LOT of guys like Hunter Luepke, Brock Hoffman, Luke Schoonmaker, TJ Bass, Asim Richards, Viliami Fehoko, Mazi Smith, and Sam Williams. I think we will see these getting a ton of snaps this year, in addition to whoever they draft. I do also expect Trey Lance will get a ton of snaps in preseason.

This is very likely Dak and McCarthy’s last year in Dallas.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#96 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea that’s part of it. I think he also really wants to play on the same team as his brother. The Cowboys might be looking to trade up and a WR like Brian Thomas Jr makes sense for Buffalo. If the Cowboys can drop down a couple of spots and fill a need it makes sense for them too.
Until they extend Dak to drop their salary cap, they do not enough cap to assume Diggs current salary even with some restructuring. Would you give Dak a record breaking extension to make it happen or just move on from him after this upcoming season if they cannot win in the playoffs once again?

If I am Jerry's GM....I would trade Dak near the trading deadline if we are still trying to win games to make the playoffs for a future 1st and 3rd round pick. If they cannot get a protected 1st round pick whatsoever, then he ain't worth that huge extension imho. Since they gave the 49ers a 4th round pick for Trey Area, it's about time to cash in on his upside now that he had a full season to learn MM Texas coast offense after failing to grasp Shanahan's conplex offense which basically led to his demise.

The Diggs things is just my wish not an actual rumor. If the Cowboys wanted to clear enough space for Diggs they could. His brother, Steele and DLaw restructure should be enough. I doubt they do that though.

As for Dak, I would prefer they do not touch his contract and let him walk. He has a no trade clause so they can’t just trade him even if they wanted to. Also you can’t put protections on picks in the NFL like you can in the NBA. You’re either trading your 1st rounder or you’re not. Dak seems intent on hitting the open market so he’s not going to agree to a trade anyways.

The latest I heard the Cowboys are going to give all their young’s a chance so they can see exactly what they have. So that means we will see A LOT of guys like Hunter Luepke, Brock Hoffman, Luke Schoonmaker, TJ Bass, Asim Richards, Viliami Fehoko, Mazi Smith, and Sam Williams. I think we will see these getting a ton of snaps this year, in addition to whoever they draft. I do also expect Trey Lance will get a ton of snaps in preseason.

Unless they win the SB this upcoming season, I agree both are likely gone! If they do win....Dak will be the highest paid QB in the league over Lamar and Hurts while MM will get a lifetime contract as their HC and then share JJ in his closest circle.

Would you want that as a dirhard fan for your Cowboys to win the next SB over the defending champions to end their 3 peat?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Until they extend Dak to drop their salary cap, they do not enough cap to assume Diggs current salary even with some restructuring. Would you give Dak a record breaking extension to make it happen or just move on from him after this upcoming season if they cannot win in the playoffs once again?

Unless they win the SB this upcoming season, I agree both are likely gone! If they do win....Dak will be the highest paid QB in the league over Lamar and Hurts while MM will get a lifetime contract as their HC and then share JJ in his closest circle.

Would you want that as a dirhard fan for your Cowboys to win the next SB over the defending champions to end their 3 peat?

If the Cowboys win the SB (regardless of who they win it over) then both Dak and MM would deserve new long term contracts.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#98 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Diggs things is just my wish not an actual rumor. If the Cowboys wanted to clear enough space for Diggs they could. His brother, Steele and DLaw restructure should be enough. I doubt they do that though.

If the Cowboys win the SB (regardless of who they win it over) then both Dak and MM would deserve new long term contracts.
Just like last season, they are 6th in odds to win it all in 2025. I had the Eagles and lost my early bet on them.

https://sportsbookwire.usatoday.com/2023/02/13/2024-super-bowl-odds-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-grades-all-32-teams

Still I like the Eagles chances again now that we have Barkley at RB along with a better DC imo. Satisfied withbthe free agency moves we made so far this off season and just waiting for the draft to add more depth. If healthy, Philly are ripe to reap the crown from the Chiefs.

Dark horse teams for the crown are the Lions, Chargers and the Steelers.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#99 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Unless they win the SB this upcoming season, I agree both are likely gone! If they do win....Dak will be the highest paid QB in the league over Lamar and Hurts while MM will get a lifetime contract as their HC and then share JJ in his closest circle.

Just like last season, they are 6th in odds to win it all in 2025. I had the Eagles and lost my early bet on them.

https://sportsbookwire.usatoday.com/2023/02/13/2024-super-bowl-odds-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-grades-all-32-teams

Still I like the Eagles chances again now that we have Barkley at RB along with a better DC imo. Satisfied withbthe free agency moves we made so far this off season and just waiting for the draft to add more depth. If healthy, Philly are ripe to reap the crown from the Chiefs.

Dark horse teams for the crown are the Lions, Chargers and the Steelers.

The Eagles should be the favorites to win the NFC East. Keep an eye on the Commodes though, I have a feeling they are going to make some noise. If they draft the right QB there’s an outside chance they win the division.

I’m not expecting anything out of the Cowboys this year. I’m thinking MAYBE 9 wins.

Any idea on who the Eagles are looking at with their first 3 picks?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Post#100 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Diggs things is just my wish not an actual rumor. If the Cowboys wanted to clear enough space for Diggs they could. His brother, Steele and DLaw restructure should be enough. I doubt they do that though.

:falloff: :falloff: :falloff:

Return to The General NFL Board