Wild Card Week

Moderator: bwgood77

last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Re: Wild Card Week 

Post#1061 » by last stand » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:24 pm

wembambamya wrote:How do you fire a coach that just took you to a Super Bowl lol

Even this year it is weird to talk about this, if Eagles lost those 6 games towards the beginning of the season, made a run, and then lost in the first round, i dont think he would be fired lol

Well yeah

Those are quite literally opposite scenarios

One is a team overcoming adversity and the coach pulling them from a slump to make a run. Improving, finding answers, making smart adjustments that make a difference

The other is the wheels completely falling off, the lockerroom deteriorating, utter inability to find a single answer or stop any of the bleeding.
Jaydubb
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#1062 » by Jaydubb » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 pm

wembambamya wrote:How do you fire a coach that just took you to a Super Bowl lol

Even this year it is weird to talk about this, if Eagles lost those 6 games towards the beginning of the season, made a run, and then lost in the first round, i dont think he would be fired lol

Losing 6 games and then going on a run would suggest you make in season adjustments. The in season “adjustment “ that sirianni made is firing a DC and replacing him with somebody that’s 10x worse. Horrible awareness. Then refusing to make adjustments on offense when even a 7 year old kid could tell you the issues.

Who cares if he helped them get to the Super Bowl last year? Lol.. what is that supposed to get you a free pass for lifetime of bad coaching? Nah, there’s clearly an issue and a good owner would make changes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,556

Post#1063 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:31 am

Jaydubb wrote:

Losing 6 games and then going on a run would suggest you make in season adjustments. The in season “adjustment “ that sirianni made is firing a DC and replacing him with somebody that’s 10x worse. Horrible awareness. Then refusing to make adjustments on offense when even a 7 year old kid could tell you the issues.

Who cares if he helped them get to the Super Bowl last year? Lol.. what is that supposed to get you a free pass for lifetime of bad coaching? Nah, there’s clearly an issue and a good owner would make changes.

Not a lifetime pass, but a pass for a couple bad months? I’d say you usually get that after a Super Bowl appearance.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Wild Card Week 

Post#1064 » by Jaydubb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:

Not a lifetime pass, but a pass for a couple bad months? I’d say you usually get that after a Super Bowl appearance.

It’s an entire year, the eagles were just winning despite bad coaching earlier in the year but it caught up to them. This isn’t the first time his offense has sucked either. His offense sucked until he turned the offense over to Steichen. That’s very telling to me. I’d say Steichen probably has more to do with an elite offense that helped get them to the Super Bowl than sirianni did. Now that Steichen is gone, Sirianni’s offense isn’t creative enough for a peewee football league let alone the NFL. Hoping that it all of a sudden improves when he constantly says he’s not gonna change anything is the definition of insanity.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,300

Post#1065 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:33 am

Is it coaching or personnel?

The Eagles back 7 struggled to cover and tackle for the whole year.

How does a DC make them cover and tackle better?
last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#1066 » by last stand » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 am

wco81 wrote:Is it coaching or personnel?

How does firing a defensive coordinator mid season and the defense getting worse make them better?
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#1067 » by Jaydubb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:29 am

last stand wrote:
wco81 wrote:Is it coaching or personnel?

How does firing a defensive coordinator mid season and the defense getting worse make them better?

Yeah.. I mean, sirianni fired the DC mid season and the defense got wayyy worse. That’s extremely bad awareness on sirianni’s part. You make a huge move like that if you are convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the change will make you better, but this move did the exact opposite.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,300

Post#1068 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:21 am

Did the defense get worse?

Even at 10-1 they were giving up a lot of points. Offense was able to pull some of those games out, those high-scoring games, including one against Washington where Howell threw for over 300 yards against them.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#1069 » by Jaydubb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:14 am

wco81 wrote:Did the defense get worse?

Even at 10-1 they were giving up a lot of points. Offense was able to pull some of those games out, those high-scoring games, including one against Washington where Howell threw for over 300 yards against them.

Yes. The defense got a lot worse

Return to The General NFL Board