The Dallas Chiefs?

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Re: The Dallas Chiefs? 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:23 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:So if the league had allowed Lamar Hunt to have his team in Dallas in the first place or merge before the expansion, the only team in Dallas would still be own by the Hunts family to this day and Jerry would have brought another team instead, probably the Rams since he was born there. That would.have been much better than how it ended up now Lol

It never got close to that. Both teams were bleeding money in 1963 and Hunt moved simply to get into a marketplace where he didn’t have to compete. Might have been different had they stayed when the merger came around but that wasn’t what happened.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#22 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:25 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:
hermes wrote:wait the chiefs used to be located in texas?

They were originally called the Dallas Texans. Dallas billionaire Lamar Hunt created the team. He originally wanted a team in the NFL (pre-merger) but was denied by the NFL because they didn’t think football would be very popular in Texas. Lamar Hunt got together with several other owners that were denied teams by the NFL and created their own league (AFL). When the NFL saw the success the Dallas Texans (and Houston Oilers) were having in Texas the NFL decided to put an expansion team in Dallas (the Cowboys). The NFL was still a bigger brand at that time so the Texans ended up moving to KC and became the Chiefs.
So if the league had allowed Lamar Hunt to have his team in Dallas in the first place or merge before the expansion, the only team in Dallas would still be own by the Hunts family to this day and Jerry would have brought another team instead, probably the Rams since he was born there. That would.have been much better than how it ended up now Lol

Correct, if the NFL had awarded Lamar Hunt a team there likely would have never been a Dallas Cowboys franchise. Jerry likely buys the Chargers like he originally wanted to do (before buying the Cowboys).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I'm sure they would have to share AT&T Stadium with the Cowboys and they would always be buried behind the Cowboys. No matter how bad the Cowboys do.

We see this year after year, the Cowboy's popularity has no requirements of the team.

No...

If the Hunts were to relocate (they won’t) I would damn near bet the house that piece of land SW of the I30/I25 intersection is the one that will have a new stadium. It’s the spot that Jerry wanted but Laura Miller wouldn’t offer up - she wanted them in Fair Park. It’s the absolute prime spot for a stadium and the build that would go with it.

In the meantime - the Cotton Bowl would be the place they would play.

Or it could have been next to where the Dallas Convention Center is now. Right off of Houston St where the old parking structure for Reunion Arena is. That area is about to be cleared out and retail and living space about to be built there.

I honestly don’t know why they don’t just tear down the Cotton Bowl and rebuild it. If the Hunt family ever moved back to Dallas that would be a prime location. That would likely also force them to clean up that whole Southern sector.

I agree though that it will never happen. The Hunt family isn’t moving the Chiefs back to Dallas.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:35 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I'm sure they would have to share AT&T Stadium with the Cowboys and they would always be buried behind the Cowboys. No matter how bad the Cowboys do.

We see this year after year, the Cowboy's popularity has no requirements of the team.

I believe Jerry actually owns Cowboys Stadium or at least owns most of it. So they wouldn’t be able to share the stadium. Also Cowboys Stadium is in Arlington and the new mayor would want the team actually in Dallas city limits.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,159

Post#25 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:39 pm

Mr B wrote:

I believe Jerry actually owns Cowboys Stadium or at least owns most of it. So they wouldn’t be able to share the stadium. Also Cowboys Stadium is in Arlington and the new mayor would want the team actually in Dallas city limits.

True, fair enough.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,476

Post#26 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:09 pm

Maybe St. Louis will build a stadium?
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 328

Post#27 » by QB_Eagles » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:Front runners for rooting for a team that is actually located in their city?

Does that mean whenever the Eagles start to win Eagles fans are being front runners if they root for them?

If the Browns moved to Philly, nobody would root for them.

But it's a bad comparison because the Eagles have actually won a SB in the last 25 years.

What does winning a SB within the past 25 years have to do with this conversation?

Speaking of the Browns, are you suggesting that everyone in Cleveland that rooted for the Browns is being a front runner? I mean they are not the original Browns? I guess everyone in Baltimore are front runners too. I mean they should be rooting for the Colts right based on your logic?

The discussion is about one team moving to a city that already has a long established team. The Ravens left Cleveland before the Browns were reconstituted and the Colts left Baltimore before the Ravens arrived.
QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#28 » by QB_Eagles » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:17 pm

Mr B wrote:

Every NFL owners lets the community pay for at least a large share of the team's stadium.

The Packers show how billionaire owners aren't actually necessary – that's why they all voted to ban the Packers model of fans-based ownership.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#29 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Maybe St. Louis will build a stadium?

I was thinking about cities that have multiple NFL teams and that got me thinking about Los Angeles and how the Rams moved back there, but I couldn't remember why...was it that they wanted a new stadium and the city wouldn't do it so they moved? I seem to recall the fan base being pretty solid and they always had some really good teams during their time there.

It would be cool to see a team move back there though - much like Seattle in the NBA.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,476

Post#30 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:31 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:

I was thinking about cities that have multiple NFL teams and that got me thinking about Los Angeles and how the Rams moved back there, but I couldn't remember why...was it that they wanted a new stadium and the city wouldn't do it so they moved? I seem to recall the fan base being pretty solid and they always had some really good teams during their time there.

It would be cool to see a team move back there though - much like Seattle in the NBA.

Stan Kroenke moved the Rams to L.A. for financial gain. Having a team based in L.A. is worth exponentially more. The league wanted a team back in L.A. for the same reasons. They used the stadium issue as an out.

Btw the NBA expanding to Seattle & Vegas is a done deal. It's been in the works for years. Expect an announcement later this year.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:05 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:If the Browns moved to Philly, nobody would root for them.

But it's a bad comparison because the Eagles have actually won a SB in the last 25 years.

What does winning a SB within the past 25 years have to do with this conversation?

Speaking of the Browns, are you suggesting that everyone in Cleveland that rooted for the Browns is being a front runner? I mean they are not the original Browns? I guess everyone in Baltimore are front runners too. I mean they should be rooting for the Colts right based on your logic?

The discussion is about one team moving to a city that already has a long established team. The Ravens left Cleveland before the Browns were reconstituted and the Colts left Baltimore before the Ravens arrived.

No, we’re talking about a team moving back to its original city that it was founded in (with an established team already being there).

So let’s say the Cardinals moved back to Chicago. The Bears are still the Bears but the Cardinals win a Super Bowl after returning. You’re saying that people in Chicago that root for the Cardinals would be front runners even though they would have won a SB as the Chicago Cardinals?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:06 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Every NFL owners lets the community pay for at least a large share of the team's stadium.

The Packers show how billionaire owners aren't actually necessary – that's why they all voted to ban the Packers model of fans-based ownership.

Right but the Cowboys are not located within the Dallas City limits. The Mayor wants a team IN DALLAS (not Arlington). So why would the Chiefs share a stadium with the Cowboys?
Mr B
RealGM

The Dallas Chiefs? 

Post#33 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
RaoulDuke79 wrote:

Stan Kroenke moved the Rams to L.A. for financial gain. Having a team based in L.A. is worth exponentially more. The league wanted a team back in L.A. for the same reasons. They used the stadium issue as an out.

Btw the NBA expanding to Seattle & Vegas is a done deal. It's been in the works for years. Expect an announcement later this year.

Bring back the SuperSonics!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,572

Post#34 » by hermes » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

No...

If the Hunts were to relocate (they won’t) I would damn near bet the house that piece of land SW of the I30/I25 intersection is the one that will have a new stadium. It’s the spot that Jerry wanted but Laura Miller wouldn’t offer up - she wanted them in Fair Park. It’s the absolute prime spot for a stadium and the build that would go with it.

those two interstates don't cross (i'm learning so much today), do you mean i-35 and i-30?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:46 pm

hermes wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

No...

those two interstates don't cross (i'm learning so much today), do you mean i-35 and i-30?

This is the area that Dallas is about to start building on. Not sure if this is enough room for a stadium but it would be really cool to have an NFL stadium in this area.

QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#36 » by QB_Eagles » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:19 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:What does winning a SB within the past 25 years have to do with this conversation?

No, we’re talking about a team moving back to its original city that it was founded in (with an established team already being there).

So let’s say the Cardinals moved back to Chicago. The Bears are still the Bears but the Cardinals win a Super Bowl after returning. You’re saying that people in Chicago that root for the Cardinals would be front runners even though they would have won a SB as the Chicago Cardinals?

Yeah
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#37 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:32 pm

I don't think any team could threaten the Cowboys fan base. They extend not only the entire country but also into other countries.

The Texas Rangers just won a World Series. If they moved to New York would the Yankees lose popularity? No they wouldn't at all.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:06 am

Micah Prescott wrote:I don't think any team could threaten the Cowboys fan base. They extend not only the entire country but also into other countries.

The Texas Rangers just won a World Series. If they moved to New York would the Yankees lose popularity? No they wouldn't at all.

Again, the team would be moving back to where they originated. So a better example would the Dodgers. If the Dodgers moved back to Brooklyn and won a championship would the Yankees loss fans to them? My guess would be yes. The question is would anyone that roots for the Dodgers be front runners?
QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#39 » by QB_Eagles » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:25 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I don't think any team could threaten the Cowboys fan base. They extend not only the entire country but also into other countries.

Again, the team would be moving back to where they originated. So a better example would the Dodgers. If the Dodgers moved back to Brooklyn and won a championship would the Yankees loss fans to them? My guess would be yes. The question is would anyone that roots for the Dodgers be front runners?

Any Mets fans who switched over for sure.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#40 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:02 am

Mr B wrote:

IMO If you leave your team to become of fan of who's hot then yes. Even if they relocate to your city.

I'm Cowboys for life, nothing can change that for me.

If I were born in Cleveland I'd be Browns for life and I respect their fans for being real ones. They've had it the worst of all NFL fans. Their franchise moving to Baltimore and winning rings is salt on the wound too.

Return to The General NFL Board