Bears moving Hester to offense (officially)

Moderator: bwgood77

treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Bears moving Hester to offense (officially) 

Post#1 » by treyZz » Mon May 14, 2007 9:48 pm

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,445

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Well that's just great, utilize his talents even more. This whole offseason is making me depressed.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by A-Town Connection » Tue May 15, 2007 12:23 am

I have to say, smart move by the bears. This kid really is special.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,954

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Tue May 15, 2007 1:36 am

:o

Damn.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue May 15, 2007 2:54 am

IT wasn't that smart, if he were so good on offense, he would have played last year.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#6 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 am

Ummm

Hes good but it will take time. Imagine the screen passes. Well im glad im not in there division
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#7 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:25 am

good move, CB is the hardest position to play and WR in my opinion is alot easier.
chibearsfan
Junior
And1: 3

Post#8 » by chibearsfan » Tue May 15, 2007 2:51 pm

He really doesn't have too much CB skills that will hold up in the NFL. His primary job on this team will be to return kicks/punts but adding him to the offense gives the defense one more thing to think about. He'll probably get 5 touches a game considering he will mostly be used as a decoy and we have a lot of capable playmakers around rex. I have a bad feeling about this upcoming season for Hester though, (Madden curse, and all this publicity from everyone).
treyZz
Banned User

Post#9 » by treyZz » Tue May 15, 2007 4:38 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:IT wasn't that smart, if he were so good on offense, he would have played last year.

Actually no he would not have.

Lovie didn't want to put too much pressure on him & only had him doing punt returns for the first part of the year.

Than he took over the KR jobs.

& late in the year got a few plays on offense.

He had no time to learn offense. Lovie didn't want to put that much pressure on a rookie. He would not have played on offense regardless of how good he was.
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by Shzm13 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Good move by the Bears. Should at least be a distraction and free up Olson or Moose
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#11 » by Icness » Thu May 17, 2007 3:21 am

Miami tried every summer he was there to move him to WR, but they never felt comfortable trusting him as a receiver. This move is more an acknowledgement by the Bears that Hester is worthless as a CB but they don't want to hurt his feelings by keeping him strictly as a return man. I'll be shocked if he catches more than 8 passes for 100 yards all season.

And I wouldn't count on 6 return TDs either. I'll gladly bet good money with anyone that he doesn't get 6 more return TDs the rest of his career.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#12 » by J.Kim » Thu May 17, 2007 6:04 am

Icness wrote:Miami tried every summer he was there to move him to WR, but they never felt comfortable trusting him as a receiver. This move is more an acknowledgement by the Bears that Hester is worthless as a CB but they don't want to hurt his feelings by keeping him strictly as a return man. I'll be shocked if he catches more than 8 passes for 100 yards all season.

And I wouldn't count on 6 return TDs either. I'll gladly bet good money with anyone that he doesn't get 6 more return TDs the rest of his career.

Sounds like something I said 3 months ago ;)

But yeah, I see him topping out as a Dante Hall type. (Of course, this is maximum ceiling we're talking about, and I personally think he'd be hard pressed to reach Dante Hall-2002/3 status)
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#13 » by mopper8 » Mon May 21, 2007 4:19 pm

I dunno, he could be a decent 3rd down slot back back type, hit him on little flats and flairs or screens, and if he splits out wide, you could use him a decoy on reverses and such.

if you can get the ball in his hands in space, at least theoretically, he could do some damage, and you always have to respect that type of speed.

in practice though, yeah, i could see his actual production being somewhat limited.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,193

Post#14 » by Darth Celtic » Sun May 27, 2007 5:50 pm

Icness wrote:Miami tried every summer he was there to move him to WR, but they never felt comfortable trusting him as a receiver. This move is more an acknowledgement by the Bears that Hester is worthless as a CB but they don't want to hurt his feelings by keeping him strictly as a return man. I'll be shocked if he catches more than 8 passes for 100 yards all season.

i'll take that bet, both of them, name terms so i can collect them in a year or 2. He's going into his second year, moving to offense full time, and you think for his career he won't have 6 more return td's or even 8 passes caught for 100 yards all year?

Here, should I post the link to the video of him catching everything in camp?
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by J.Kim » Sun May 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i'll take that bet, both of them, name terms so i can collect them in a year or 2. He's going into his second year, moving to offense full time, and you think for his career he won't have 6 more return td's or even 8 passes caught for 100 yards all year?

Here, should I post the link to the video of him catching everything in camp?

Camp doesn't equate to Regular season.

Tyrone Calico was a Camp fiend, and look where he ended up. (Though, injuries did cost him)

Punt Returns are more luck than anything. Sure Blocking schemes maximize yardage, but you need 2 or 3 breaks within a return opportunity, for PR/KRs to do anything with the Punts/Kickoffs.

Hell, even Dante Hall, who was probably an even greater threat than Devin Hester ever was/will be, never had more than 4 TD returns in a season.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Darth Celtic » Sun May 27, 2007 6:53 pm

yeah, but this guys saying he won't get another 6 the rest of his career, all years combined, and he's going into his second year with 6 already. I'll take that bet. And I might take the 8 for 100 too. That's not that hard to do, unless injured or flops, but even some dropsies and coaches will keep going to him to see if he can fix it.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by J.Kim » Sun May 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:yeah, but this guys saying he won't get another 6 the rest of his career, all years combined, and he's going into his second year with 6 already. I'll take that bet. And I might take the 8 for 100 too. That's not that hard to do, unless injured or flops, but even some dropsies and coaches will keep going to him to see if he can fix it.

6 for the rest of the career....

I would actually say that's a right assumption, give or take 2.
Teams are going to be knuckling their kicks and kicking out of bounds now that they see just how much of a threat he really is.
And if opposing teams remove him from the equation, then I don't see Hester lasting for long in the league.

Terrence McGee had a similar situation after his breakout KR season in 2004... People started kicking away from him, and knuckling the kicks. At least, for him, he's a good enough corner that he's going to be staying in the league for a while...
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Darth Celtic » Mon May 28, 2007 3:41 pm

well, if they have to kick out of bounds or short every punt and kickoff from now on, fine, just gives our offense better starting postion, but last year teams were kicking away whenever posible, yet he still scored.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#19 » by treyZz » Mon May 28, 2007 10:00 pm

Hell, even Dante Hall, who was probably an even greater threat than Devin Hester ever was/will be, never had more than 4 TD returns in a season.

Laughable.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by J.Kim » Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 pm

treyZz wrote:Hell, even Dante Hall, who was probably an even greater threat than Devin Hester ever was/will be, never had more than 4 TD returns in a season.

Laughable.

How about you explain, instead of just saying 'laughable'. :roll:

Return to The General NFL Board