ImageImageImage

Pistons Offseason Guide (ESPN w/ Bobby Marks)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,681

Re: Pistons Offseason Guide (ESPN w/ Bobby Marks) 

Post#21 » by Invictus88 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 pm

Snakebites wrote:
JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If we could get one of BK’s good firsts for taking on Simmons you gotta do it IMO. Value-wise it’s a better use of assets.

Not sure that’s possible though.

I would concur, but I'm not even sure how many 1sts Brooklyn can even trade. I believe they still owe a few to Houston from the Harden trade. Weaver's failure to capitalize on cap space to accumulate assets has probably been his biggest failure and might be the biggest reason I think the new POBO is going to have to re-rebuild.

I was actually thinking about Phoenix picks. That team is going off a cliff soon.

Devin Booker is still in his prime. Even if the rest of the superstars age out I think they still avoid being terrible.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 477

Post#22 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

If they throw Ben Simmons, they better add Mikal Bridges. We don't need more picks/19yr olds
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,805

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
JNewton wrote:
I would concur, but I'm not even sure how many 1sts Brooklyn can even trade. I believe they still owe a few to Houston from the Harden trade. Weaver's failure to capitalize on cap space to accumulate assets has probably been his biggest failure and might be the biggest reason I think the new POBO is going to have to re-rebuild.

I was actually thinking about Phoenix picks. That team is going off a cliff soon.

Devin Booker is still in his prime. Even if the rest of the superstars age out I think they still avoid being terrible.

Maybe. Maybe not. Booker isn’t a franchise player and also could ask out if things get ugly.

It’s not a guarantee. But I don’t think you can get a guaranteed high pick for cap space. Could be preferable to overpaying on the FA market.

I don’t see a path out of the cellar via free agency. Extending Cade and trying to retool the roster around him (taking a bit longer) might be the play. It makes Cade a flight risk but I’d argue that every path forward does.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#24 » by BDM22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
When did they start? All they've collected is throwaway 2nd round picks, the Pistons never weaponized their cap space to add some real assets. If the Pistons can get a 1st to take on Simmons, they should do it especially since they don't have a 1st outside of the current one to use as a trade asset.

If we could get one of BK’s good firsts for taking on Simmons you gotta do it IMO. Value-wise it’s a better use of assets.

I still don't see how we were going to get a bunch of firsts for pure salary dumps. Most teams who have a bunch of intriguing looking 1sts got them by selling off All-NBA players in their prime (Houston, Utah, OKC, Brooklyn, etc), which we obviously didn't have. Was there mayyybe a late 1st hanging around some year we could have gotten in on with more patience? Probably. Generally I think teams are hesitant to give up 1sts for salary dumps that aren't guaranteed to be low picks, which Weaver has been able to move into by packaging 2nds anyways.

Weaver did manage to turn cap space into Jerami Grant and then him into a lotto pick a couple of years later. I would have liked to see more deals like that. Try to acquire underrated talent on decent contracts and then sell them off in trades. Someone like a DiVincenzo would have had great value here even if we gave him like $5M more per year than the Knicks could.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,470

Post#25 » by Canadafan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:If they throw Ben Simmons, they better add Mikal Bridges. We don't need more picks/19yr olds

Oh hell ya, I'd be all over taking Bridges if we had to take on Simmons
BDM22
RealGM

Post#26 » by BDM22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pm

Simmons is an expiring that could be useful in a trade for Brooklyn at the deadline knowing that they're desperate for a "star". I suspect they won't be attaching picks to get rid of him now. Maybe last year.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 183

Post#27 » by JNewton » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm

BDM22 wrote:
JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If we could get one of BK’s good firsts for taking on Simmons you gotta do it IMO. Value-wise it’s a better use of assets.

I still don't see how we were going to get a bunch of firsts for pure salary dumps. Most teams who have a bunch of intriguing looking 1sts got them by selling off All-NBA players in their prime (Houston, Utah, OKC, Brooklyn, etc), which we obviously didn't have. Was there mayyybe a late 1st hanging around some year we could have gotten in on with more patience? Probably. Generally I think teams are hesitant to give up 1sts for salary dumps that aren't guaranteed to be low picks, which Weaver has been able to move into by packaging 2nds anyways.

Weaver did manage to turn cap space into Jerami Grant and then him into a lotto pick a couple of years later. I would have liked to see more deals like that. Try to acquire underrated talent on decent contracts and then sell them off in trades. Someone like a DiVincenzo would have had great value here even if we gave him like $5M more per year than the Knicks could.

Perhaps. I feel like better stuff could have been accumulated than a future second for taking on Joe Harris moments into free agency, or bringing in New York's scraps when they are desperate to sign Jalen Brunson.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,980

Post#28 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 pm

I think offering Klay 2/50-60 makes a lot of sense for Detroit. They have the cap space and Cade is desperate for shooting next to him.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 pm

Is anyone else tired of constantly hearing about Ben Simmons passing the ball during the playoffs? Every time they mention his name they have to bring that up, like in the first few minutes of NBA Today on ESPN.. He passed a shot, but Maxey got fouled, made his free throws if I remember correctly.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#30 » by BDM22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Is anyone else tired of constantly hearing about Ben Simmons passing the ball during the playoffs? Every time they mention his name they have to bring that up, like in the first few minutes of NBA Today on ESPN.. He passed a shot, but Maxey got fouled, made his free throws if I remember correctly.

I think it's mostly interesting to people because that was the series that Ben Simmons went from this All-NBA player and rising talent (literally 12th in MVP voting that year) to basically a scrub over the course of a handful of games, culminating in that moment.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#31 » by theBigLip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm

BDM22 wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Is anyone else tired of constantly hearing about Ben Simmons passing the ball during the playoffs? Every time they mention his name they have to bring that up, like in the first few minutes of NBA Today on ESPN.. He passed a shot, but Maxey got fouled, made his free throws if I remember correctly.

I think it's mostly interesting to people because that was the series that Ben Simmons went from this All-NBA player and rising talent (literally 12th in MVP voting that year) to basically a scrub over the course of a handful of games, culminating in that moment.

Didn't Doc Rivers throw him under the bus after the game? Never the same after that.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

Yes, he did... Speaking of Doc Rivers, SO many NBA players talk **** about him. Even before he joined the Bucks.. They'll say he might be able to make a nice pre-game speech, but criticize every other aspect of his coaching. Sheed even calls him Glenn to disparage him. And I always think a point guard would be the best possible coach... Speaking of Philly, I just saw this

" The power forward’s tenure with the 76ers is expected to end once their postseason run concludes. Several NBA executives believe there’s a chance he’ll land with the Detroit Pistons in free agency. But there are several other teams interested in the 13th-year veteran with careeaverages of 16.3 points and 6.2 rebounds.
– via The Philadelphia Inquirer"

Not a fan of this possible move. We don't HAVE to get a free agent. We made a trade for Joe Harris, and we can absorb salary, so why not trade for someone a little younger, but still established.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#33 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I was actually thinking about Phoenix picks. That team is going off a cliff soon.

Maybe. Maybe not. Booker isn’t a franchise player and also could ask out if things get ugly.

It’s not a guarantee. But I don’t think you can get a guaranteed high pick for cap space. Could be preferable to overpaying on the FA market.

I don’t see a path out of the cellar via free agency. Extending Cade and trying to retool the roster around him (taking a bit longer) might be the play. It makes Cade a flight risk but I’d argue that every path forward does.

Booker was sure considered a franchise player before the Suns got Durant. He’s had a down year (injuries, bad roster construction) but is still a too 20 player, imo.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,805

Post#34 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Booker was sure considered a franchise player before the Suns got Durant. He’s had a down year (injuries, bad roster construction) but is still a too 20 player, imo.

We’re probably just differing in what we call franchise players. I don’t think there are 20 of them. And I don’t think unless they have other stars after Durant fades that they’ll be very good.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,174

Post#35 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:34 pm

I'd do whatever I could to get Chris Paul in a Pistons uniform next year. He'll no longer do a lot on the court, but he'll make sure the team comes in with the right mindset night in and night out. No better mentor in the league for Cade and Ivey.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to Detroit Pistons