ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#541 » by mattao313 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am

Cody Williams, Matas Buzelis, and Ron Holland are the guys we should be looking at IMO.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 753

Post#542 » by A_dub06 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am

jars wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
jars wrote:How many rookies who play reasonably high minutes are great shooters in their first year on decent volume? The average NBA 3pt% was 36.6% this year. Only Brandon Miller (37.3% on 6.7 attempts), Chet (37.0% on 4.3 attempts), Podziemski (38.5 on 3.2 attempts), Sasser (37.5 on 3.4 attempts) and Wallace (41.9 on 2.9 attempts) were higher than the league average as rotation guys.

I get this feeling that people on our board think a rookie is going to come in and fix the shooting problems next year which impacts who they want to draft. We need to be projecting for 3-4 years down the line.

In this draft, all players have question marks, but Buzelis has good form on the shot and wasn't just standing in the corner waiting to shoot most of the time. His ignite percentages are somewhat worrisome, especially considering he was less than 70% from the free throw line. He looked comfortable with the ball in his hands and attacked the rim at the right time. He was an active defender at times and his length and size are good, if a bit skinny right now. Overall, he gives me Franz Wagner vibes in that I think he is going to be a solid all around guy who is comfortable doing most things, but is going to be a bit streaky with his shooting. I actually think he might be an ideal match offensively with Cade as he is a decent ball handler and passer if his shooting comes on.

Not looking for him to be a “saviour” like you claim, but if he’s not already shooting league average what’s he actually projecting as? His biggest strength is supposed to be shooting and I’ll admit his stroke looks really clean but looking at it whilst considering his free throw percentage is worrying. It’s the same thing With Zac, supposed to be able to shoot 3’s but shoots free throws poorly. I can’t think of a good 3pt shooter who’s bad at the line

I think my point wasn't clear. I'm not claiming that people think our pick needs to be our saviour, nor do I think Buzelis is going to be a knockdown shooter. I'm saying that I think our need for good shooters is clouding the perception of players and how they fit with our team long term. I'm just out on drafting a guy for need (shooting in our case) in the top 10 unless they are pretty close to BPA, especially when 3pt shooting is not something that traditionally translates well in the NBA over their first few years.

Yes, the player we take needs to project as an above average shooter regardless of roster because thats how the NBA works now. I think Buzelis can be a slightly above average 3pt shooter, but I doubt he becomes a knockdown shooter. I think his actual strength isn't shooting, its his all around game and versatility. Most years I wouldn't want to draft him at 5 either, but I don't see more than 5 guys in this draft that I like more than him right now. I hope that changes...

Yeah I know but you were eluding to him eventually being a knock down shooter by making the statement that rookies don’t generally come in as good shooters, which is what would make me really nervous because good shooters on college or G-league usually translate to at least being good shooters in the league. Not necessary snipers but decent shooters and if Matas doesn’t become a good shooter I think his entire appeal falls apart.

For the record, I wouldn’t be pissed if we took him I’d just consider it riskier. At this point I’d prefer to package Duren with our pick or Ivey to try and trade up to #2 if Sarr is available and get him. Sarr shot a slightly better % but was also from the Fiba line so would need to take with a grain of salt. Realistically, we will probably be picking 5th since the 5th won’t hold much value and matas is the most likely available player at the spot.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,437

Post#543 » by Mr Peanut » Mon May 13, 2024 11:52 am

A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Starting to like Buzelis the more i watch

His strength is supposed to be shooting but he can’t shoot. Seen this playbook too many times before

He shot well in high school and that was supposed to be one of his strengths coming into the G-League. A lot of players seem to struggle adjusting to the NBA distance three point line, and I saw an article somewhere where Buzelis said something to the effect of that he struggled with fatigue/conditioning due to the longer games and that affected his shot. His form does look pretty decent overall.

I think ultimately he will end up being at least a league average shooter if not better. The question is whether we want to endure the shooting woes for potentially the next 2-3 years before he reaches that point.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#544 » by BDM22 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Starting to like Buzelis the more i watch

His strength is supposed to be shooting but he can’t shoot. Seen this playbook too many times before

I do often wonder if Tyler Smith is the actual big forward from the Ignite that turns out. His shooting isn't totally theoretical. He just doesn't quite have the on-ball upside. He's like the Taylor Hendricks of this draft.

But of course if we pass on Matas or trade down to where you could take someone like Smith, Matas is almost certainly going to become Franz with better range.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#545 » by theBigLip » Mon May 13, 2024 2:40 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
jars wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Not looking for him to be a “saviour” like you claim, but if he’s not already shooting league average what’s he actually projecting as? His biggest strength is supposed to be shooting and I’ll admit his stroke looks really clean but looking at it whilst considering his free throw percentage is worrying. It’s the same thing With Zac, supposed to be able to shoot 3’s but shoots free throws poorly. I can’t think of a good 3pt shooter who’s bad at the line

I think my point wasn't clear. I'm not claiming that people think our pick needs to be our saviour, nor do I think Buzelis is going to be a knockdown shooter. I'm saying that I think our need for good shooters is clouding the perception of players and how they fit with our team long term. I'm just out on drafting a guy for need (shooting in our case) in the top 10 unless they are pretty close to BPA, especially when 3pt shooting is not something that traditionally translates well in the NBA over their first few years.

Yes, the player we take needs to project as an above average shooter regardless of roster because thats how the NBA works now. I think Buzelis can be a slightly above average 3pt shooter, but I doubt he becomes a knockdown shooter. I think his actual strength isn't shooting, its his all around game and versatility. Most years I wouldn't want to draft him at 5 either, but I don't see more than 5 guys in this draft that I like more than him right now. I hope that changes...

Yeah I know but you were eluding to him eventually being a knock down shooter by making the statement that rookies don’t generally come in as good shooters, which is what would make me really nervous because good shooters on college or G-league usually translate to at least being good shooters in the league. Not necessary snipers but decent shooters and if Matas doesn’t become a good shooter I think his entire appeal falls apart.

For the record, I wouldn’t be pissed if we took him I’d just consider it riskier. At this point I’d prefer to package Duren with our pick or Ivey to try and trade up to #2 if Sarr is available and get him. Sarr shot a slightly better % but was also from the Fiba line so would need to take with a grain of salt. Realistically, we will probably be picking 5th since the 5th won’t hold much value and matas is the most likely available player at the spot.

Ivey or Duren would be drafted ahead of, or very close behind Sarrs in this draft. Trading one of them plus our pick to get Sarrs would be a serious overpay.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,985

Post#546 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 pm

theBigLip wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
jars wrote:I think my point wasn't clear. I'm not claiming that people think our pick needs to be our saviour, nor do I think Buzelis is going to be a knockdown shooter. I'm saying that I think our need for good shooters is clouding the perception of players and how they fit with our team long term. I'm just out on drafting a guy for need (shooting in our case) in the top 10 unless they are pretty close to BPA, especially when 3pt shooting is not something that traditionally translates well in the NBA over their first few years.

Ivey or Duren would be drafted ahead of, or very close behind Sarrs in this draft. Trading one of them plus our pick to get Sarrs would be a serious overpay.
How about trading for Houstons pick, while keeping the 5th?

Who would you pick, with 3 and 5? I'm Clingan/Sheppard.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#547 » by Rip32 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Watch our idiot GM or President draft a lower tier player just to appease Cade. Instead, he should be actually trying to draft the best talent

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#548 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon May 13, 2024 3:49 pm

A pipe dream is if we move our pick, Ivey and Stewart for Dejounte and Ingram.

I think the hawks are about to trade all their pieces.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,022

Post#549 » by Snakebites » Mon May 13, 2024 3:51 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:A pipe dream is if we move our pick, Ivey and Stewart for Dejounte and Ingram.

I think the hawks are about to trade all their pieces.

All indications are they’ll actually move Trae.

He doesn’t feel like a Spurs guy but there is smoke there.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#550 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm

I don't think "best talent" is going to be remotely cut and dry in this draft.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,142

Post#551 » by bstein14 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:19 pm

Here's 5 completely made up draft day trades... which ones do you say yes to?

#1.> Rockets trade #3 pick to Detroit for Ausar Thompson + Marcus Sasser

#2.> Hawks trade Trae Young to Detroit for #5, Jaden Ivey, and Isiah Stewart

#3.> OKC trades #12 + Josh Giddey to Detroit for #5

#4.> Chicago trades #11 and Caruso to Detroit for #5 and Ivey

#5.> Portland trades #14 + Jerami Grant to Detroit for #5 and Marcus Sasser
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,294

Post#552 » by GreekAlex » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

bstein14 wrote:Here's 5 completely made up draft day trades... which ones do you say yes to?

I’d consider #1 and pass on everything else.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 753

Post#553 » by A_dub06 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:23 pm

bstein14 wrote:Here's 5 completely made up draft day trades... which ones do you say yes to?

Would only consider 1 if Sarr was still available and 2 is an easy yes
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,294

Post#554 » by GreekAlex » Mon May 13, 2024 8:46 pm

Matas Buzelis has Arn Temmums kid as his agent.

Looks like that’s the pick :roll:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#555 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 pm

Reed leads with a 42" vertical
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#556 » by Canadafan » Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#557 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 13, 2024 9:22 pm

Topic just got injured again
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#558 » by Phenomenonsense » Mon May 13, 2024 9:44 pm

Man, I don't care about any of these prospects. I was able to convince myself Sarr could be good next to Duren, but I'd trade down or straight up take Knecht. No more room for nonshooters
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#559 » by BDM22 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:48 pm

Probably none.

Ausar would be in the mix to go #1 in this draft.

Giddey and Trae are very very bad fits with Cade.

Caruso is a good fit but he's 30 and on an expiring deal next year. Dropping out of the top 10 and giving Ivey is not worth 1 year of Caruso.

Jerami Grant on that contract is not something I have an interest in giving notable assets for. 5 to 14 is too big of a drop imo. If they were at like 8 or 9, maybe. Salary dump and a few of 2nd rounders is my offer.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#560 » by theBigLip » Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Nice proposals.

#1 No. Ausar, even if he can’t shoot, is DPOY caliber and can always guard an opponent’s best player. We should keep him. And if he learns to shoot? He’s an AllStar.

#2 Trade seems fair but I don’t want to watch a super high usage guy be the face of our team, especially if he can’t play D. Just my personal viewing preference.

#3 Yes. Giddy is likely as good as anyone in the draft.

#4 Yes. In the short term Caruso could teach our guys how to play. We could then flip him at the deadline, sign and trade him in the offseason, or extend him.

#5 Ugh. Maybe. Fair value trade but I don’t like Grant’s contract. For that money we could get a much younger player.

Return to Detroit Pistons