2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,759

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#561 » by dVs33 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 pm

GreekAlex wrote:Matas Buzelis has Arn Temmums kid as his agent.

Looks like that’s the pick :roll:
I saw that and thought the same thing haha
He doesn't look like a bad prospect tho.
He'd be a good fit.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using RealGM mobile app
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#562 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm

dVs33 wrote:

He'd be a good fit.

Matas is super intriguing, and there are a bunch of videos of him working out with Cooper Flagg, one on one e.t.c. His defense is next level, and he is a superb athlete, with high end shot-blocking.

He would be the undisputed #1overall, if he shot better then 27.3% from three. If you draft this kid, he has to start.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

One shooter on the floor? How does that fit?

Gonna get spectacular defense out of him and Ausar but man, the spacing would be horrendous.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,550

Post#563 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon May 13, 2024 11:32 pm

Snakebites wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:A pipe dream is if we move our pick, Ivey and Stewart for Dejounte and Ingram.

I think the hawks are about to trade all their pieces.

All indications are they’ll actually move Trae.

He doesn’t feel like a Spurs guy but there is smoke there.

I think they’ll move both and go full rebuild and tank for 2025.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,719

Post#564 » by Invictus88 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:32 pm

So I saw a link on ESPN titled "Inside the NBA Draft's secret lottery room":

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40134868/lowe-latest-draft-intel-trade-buzz-superstitions-nba-secret-draft-lottery-room

I didn't even click on the link. However, I fully imagined a scene with a guy standing next to a hopper and a garbage can.

For picks 1-4 he reaches into the hopper and if the ball is owned by Detroit he takes the ball and throws it into the trash and then reaches in again.

For pick 5 he just turns to the garbage can and fishes a ball out of the trash.

I know that given how much oversight there is that this is paranoia but man... three straight years of getting #5 makes me feel like someone is against us? God? Silver? David Stern's ghost?
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#565 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 12:31 am

The combine measurements are coming in, and Besides Reed Sheppards measurements being identical to Currys, 6.175 bare feet. Over 6'3 with shoes. 6'3.25 wingspan. 7'9.5 standing reach)he has an NBA combine best, 42' vertical! That is insane, but makes sense with how well he blocks shots, and that reach makes sense with his thievery.

Kid is gonna be special.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#566 » by GreekAlex » Tue May 14, 2024 12:49 am

zeebneeb wrote:The combine measurements are coming in, and Besides Reed Sheppards measurements being identical to Currys, 6.175 bare feet. Over 6'3 with shoes. 6'3.25 wingspan. 7'9.5 standing reach)he has an NBA combine best, 42' vertical! That is insane, but makes sense with how well he blocks shots, and that reach makes sense with his thievery.

Kid is gonna be special.

I know you were pretty devastated falling to 5 in the draft. If Sheppard is available at 5, would that offset your disappointment?

I think the Pistons odds of taking Sheppard actually increased by falling to 5.

I think there’s 0 chance of taking him at 1 or 2 and a moderate chance at 3 or 4 but I think the chances dramatically increase if he’s available at 5.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#567 » by Rip32 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:04 am

zeebneeb wrote:
dVs33 wrote:

He'd be a good fit.

Matas is super intriguing, and there are a bunch of videos of him working out with Cooper Flagg, one on one e.t.c. His defense is next level, and he is a superb athlete, with high end shot-blocking.

He would be the undisputed #1overall, if he shot better then 27.3% from three. If you draft this kid, he has to start.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

Gonna get spectacular defense out of him and Ausar but man, the spacing would be horrendous.

Why the big deal over a shooter? Matas definitely looks like a legit prospect. Ivey and Ausar can take guys off the dribble. If you have 5 ballers on the floor, who gives a shet about a shooter??? We passed on donovan mitchell for a shooter. I don't understand the obsession with shooters.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#568 » by A_dub06 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 am

zeebneeb wrote:The combine measurements are coming in, and Besides Reed Sheppards measurements being identical to Currys, 6.175 bare feet. Over 6'3 with shoes. 6'3.25 wingspan. 7'9.5 standing reach)he has an NBA combine best, 42' vertical! That is insane, but makes sense with how well he blocks shots, and that reach makes sense with his thievery.

Kid is gonna be special.

Everything but the max vert was expected, surprised he has a 42 that’s nice. Wonder what his standing max vert was though and I think his agility times are probably more important than what’s already been measured
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,229

Post#569 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 am

zeebneeb wrote:
dVs33 wrote:

He'd be a good fit.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

Another misfit. Got Weaver written all over it. :lol:
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#570 » by Phenomenonsense » Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 am

Laimbeer wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
dVs33 wrote:I saw that and thought the same thing haha
He'd be a good fit.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

Another misfit. Got Weaver written all over it. :lol:

Maybe we can break Cade's hands before he plays too. We tie at 0/0 or lose every game
jars
Junior
And1: 45

Post#571 » by jars » Tue May 14, 2024 1:46 am

A_dub06 wrote:Yeah I know but you were eluding to him eventually being a knock down shooter by making the statement that rookies don’t generally come in as good shooters, which is what would make me really nervous because good shooters on college or G-league usually translate to at least being good shooters in the league. Not necessary snipers but decent shooters and if Matas doesn’t become a good shooter I think his entire appeal falls apart.

For the record, I wouldn’t be pissed if we took him I’d just consider it riskier. At this point I’d prefer to package Duren with our pick or Ivey to try and trade up to #2 if Sarr is available and get him. Sarr shot a slightly better % but was also from the Fiba line so would need to take with a grain of salt. Realistically, we will probably be picking 5th since the 5th won’t hold much value and matas is the most likely available player at the spot.

I'm not sure how that statement alludes to Buzelis being a knockdown shooter. That statement was more about how we approach the draft and the expectations of rookies to be good shooters in their first few years. In the same post I said I though Buzelis was going to be a streaky shooter...

Sarr feels very raw. He averaged less than 10 points and 5 rebounds a game in the NBL (Giddey averaged 10,7,7 and Ousmane Dieng averaged 9,3,1 for reference). I would be surprised if he made much of a statement in his first year or two and feels like high risk, high reward. I'm happy to take him if he falls to us, but I don't think I would be trading proven NBA players to get him. I see why people have the hype, but there is something about him that scares me.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#572 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 2:02 am

GreekAlex wrote:

Kid is gonna be special.

I know you were pretty devastated falling to 5 in the draft. If Sheppard is available at 5, would that offset your disappointment?

I think the Pistons odds of taking Sheppard actually increased by falling to 5.

I think there’s 0 chance of taking him at 1 or 2 and a moderate chance at 3 or 4 but I think the chances dramatically increase if he’s available at 5.
Yeah, that was my thinking as well, and it was great to hear Sheppard was #2 on the Pistons big board, but I was/am convinced that #3 was the sweet spot. I don't see how he falls to 5. Either the Rockets, or the Spurs are gonna take him.

Sar
Frenchie
Reed
Jovic

Is how I see it going. Pistons get to choose from either giant, or a non-shooting wing.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

Post#573 » by SuperBad » Tue May 14, 2024 3:05 am

I’m definitely trying to move our 5 for the blazers 7 & 14 because most the talent behind Sarr is pretty much equal especially 7-14
Buzelis
Kneckt
Holland
Sallun
Messi
Jocoby Walter
Philipowski
Tristan De Silva
Cody Williams that’s 9 guys I think that could help us but non besides Knecht and Buzelis I think are anything more than good role playes(maybe salluun if he breaks the right way) so why not grab two of them, then you can spend all the cap space on two best available guys, maybe you can attach Grimes and cap space and get either Simmons or Brogdon, this would be a home run and better than the first pick
jars
Junior
And1: 45

Post#574 » by jars » Tue May 14, 2024 3:53 am

SuperBad wrote:I’m definitely trying to move our 5 for the blazers 7 & 14 because most the talent behind Sarr is pretty much equal especially 7-14
Buzelis
Kneckt
Holland
Sallun
Messi
Jocoby Walter
Philipowski
Tristan De Silva
Cody Williams that’s 9 guys I think that could help us but non besides Knecht and Buzelis I think are anything more than good role playes(maybe salluun if he breaks the right way) so why not grab two of them, then you can spend all the cap space on two best available guys, maybe you can attach Grimes and cap space and get either Simmons or Brogdon, this would be a home run and better than the first pick

I think it is rare for a trade down to work, but in this draft that might be the right move. I worry that we just have too many young players/projects. Cade, Ivey, Duren, Sasser, Stew, Ausar + 2 more rookies just feels like a lot of development required for a coaching staff that hasn't developed much talent so far. All for it if we make some other moves with the roster though. I think the Blazers want more than our 5 for 7 and 14 though
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,759

Post#575 » by dVs33 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:06 am

zeebneeb wrote:
dVs33 wrote:

He'd be a good fit.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

Prior to his g league stint he was considered a good/passable shooter. He may get back to that, but his ft shooting is a little concerning.
I like getting some athletic size at the 4 and hopefully his shooting comes back

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,945

Post#576 » by ducler » Tue May 14, 2024 6:17 am

My pick is still Salaun, with Buzelis as a 2nd choice. Salaun is essentialy Buzelis with a better shot but a worse drive.

Maybe I'd also look to trade Duren for Clingan... Duren is looking more and more like a dunking Drummond (who was too lazy to dunk): lots of dunks and rebounds but no defense nor shooting. At least Clingan is defending...

Maybe take Clingan 5th and trade Duren for a lower pick to take Salaun.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#577 » by Kp junior » Tue May 14, 2024 1:51 pm

How did Sheppard shoot it in the combine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#578 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm

Kp junior wrote:How did Sheppard shoot it in the combine ?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#579 » by BDM22 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
dVs33 wrote:

He'd be a good fit.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Matas
Duren

Matas is going to struggle with man-to-man D IMO. Definitely some rim protection upside though.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#580 » by Kp junior » Tue May 14, 2024 2:18 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Kp junior wrote:How did Sheppard shoot it in the combine ?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Pretty good I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Detroit Pistons