2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#581 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 2:28 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Kp junior wrote:How did Sheppard shoot it in the combine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Yeah, shooting like this at the combine, combined with his defensive metrics is exactly why I don't see a universe he is available at 5.

Oh well. Been watching film on a bunch of players the Pistons have a shot at, and Kinect(sp?) Is absolutely the best shooter, but his defense is suspect at best.

*sigh*

Hopefully the Pistons nab Conelly, and he comes in aggressive as hell.
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#582 » by Neptune » Tue May 14, 2024 2:49 pm

We need to draft a 4 or a 3 & D. We don't need another guard, especially one who's trash at defense.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

Post#583 » by SuperBad » Tue May 14, 2024 3:51 pm

We need a 2, 3 who can shoot, I’d like to see us get two 2’s that have some size and shoot and we play Cade as Pg on offense and sf on defense for stretches, get K Anderson, to assist Ivey in the ball handling duties when Cade is off the floor, Bol Bol for 4/5 lob/shooting depth up front, and of course Fontechio
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#584 » by Phenomenonsense » Tue May 14, 2024 4:35 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Kp junior wrote:How did Sheppard shoot it in the combine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Yeah, shooting like this at the combine, combined with his defensive metrics is exactly why I don't see a universe he is available at 5.

Oh well. Been watching film on a bunch of players the Pistons have a shot at, and Kinect(sp?) Is absolutely the best shooter, but his defense is suspect at best.

*sigh*

Knecht is the only player I want in this draft. I guess you have to take the flier on Sarr and Risacher. But anyone else is just bleh.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#585 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm

Phenomenonsense wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

*sigh*

Knecht is the only player I want in this draft. I guess you have to take the flier on Sarr and Risacher. But anyone else is just bleh.
Hey, don't get me wrong. Knecht is a bigger version of RIP, with a great 3 point shot. I would have zero problem putting a 6'6 screen running, 3-point shooter next to Cade. Its the reason I wanted Mathurin over Ivey so badly.

I just dread Sheppard being there at 5 somehow, and the Pistons passing.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,298

Post#586 » by BDM22 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:08 pm

Apparently Matas' shot looked busted at the combine. A knuckleball.
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#587 » by keepitrealhomes » Tue May 14, 2024 6:13 pm

I’m at the point where I would trade ivey and our pick to guarantee Sheppard
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#588 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm

Risacher
Reed
Knecht

Those are the three lotto prospects that can shoot.

McCain from Duke is the next good shooter, but he seems to be more like a 15-20 pick.

We should be able to get one of the three on my list.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#589 » by Piston Pete » Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 pm

Salaun should be the pick

I’d also try to trade Duren/Ausar to ATL for the #1 pick.

Ivey
Cade
???
Salaun
Sarr
guldakot
Rookie
And1: 584

Post#590 » by guldakot » Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm

I want a combo of Shep/Knecht and Clingan. Houston is looking to move their pick, if we could come out of this draft with a knockdown shooter and a real defensive 5 I would be ecstatic.

Move Duren and Ivey to make it happen if needed.

Maybe move stewart to try and get back in to get Knecht if we can get that 3rd pick from Houston. Imagine a lineup of Cade Shep Knecht Ausar and Clingan with Tek and sasser and Grimes off the bench, use the cap space for a backup solid 5 (JV?) and a couple of wings and we got a solid stew cooking.

Cade would be there to lead the youngins, and we would have a rediculous amount of upside for the cost of some intriguing but incomplete players and maybe a 29 draft pick (I love Duren but he has regressed defensively).

If we can't get Clingan and Shep, then take a flyer on Eddy later in the first round with a pick we move back on, his speed is much better then his size would show.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,521

Post#591 » by Canadafan » Tue May 14, 2024 11:12 pm

Nutty the amount of people that want to deal Duren and Ivey for these guys in this draft. Sheesh. Let's just make our pick and hope we find the next Kawhi with it lol. Hold onto our 20yr old freak athlete center. I'm quite sure at 20 that you can still Improve your game. Ivey was a big letdown this year but he's got enough drive in him to bounce back
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,286

Post#592 » by MrBigShot » Wed May 15, 2024 12:07 am

I can't see a world where sheppard doesn't become a major contributor to a team in 2 years. His feel for the game is incredible. That in conjunction with his advanced stats & combine is why I would be shocked if he's there at 5.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#593 » by Phenomenonsense » Wed May 15, 2024 1:09 am

zeebneeb wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Yeah, shooting like this at the combine, combined with his defensive metrics is exactly why I don't see a universe he is available at 5.

*sigh*

Hey, don't get me wrong. Knecht is a bigger version of RIP, with a great 3 point shot. I would have zero problem putting a 6'6 screen running, 3-point shooter next to Cade. Its the reason I wanted Mathurin over Ivey so badly.

Tape of him reminds me of Jimmer Ferdette or whatever, big pass.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#594 » by A_dub06 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:28 am

Canadafan wrote:Nutty the amount of people that want to deal Duren and Ivey for these guys in this draft. Sheesh. Let's just make our pick and hope we find the next Kawhi with it lol. Hold onto our 20yr old freak athlete center. I'm quite sure at 20 that you can still Improve your game. Ivey was a big letdown this year but he's got enough drive in him to bounce back

Duren’s defensive instincts and ability are bad, and poor defenders don’t become good ones ever. They can slightly improve but they don’t become plus defenders and Durens skill set as an athletic, rebounding, paint scoring Center just isn’t valuable in todays league. Being so young he still has intrigue and value. If you can trade him for a top 4 pick even in this draft you absolutely do it. If he doesn’t come into next season noticeably improved in multiple areas then his value will considerably dip and that’s poor asset management.

I have more faith in Ivey becoming a good player than Duren, but if Ivey + Duren could get us the 1st pick I’d definitely do it
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#595 » by A_dub06 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:30 am

Phenomenonsense wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:Knecht is the only player I want in this draft. I guess you have to take the flier on Sarr and Risacher. But anyone else is just bleh.

I want to see all the athletic testing results. With a run up he’s got a 42 inch vert but that doesn’t really help that much when combined with a poor wingspan. He looks slow laterally and even straight line he looks heavy footed for someone small.

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,521

Post#596 » by Canadafan » Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Nutty the amount of people that want to deal Duren and Ivey for these guys in this draft. Sheesh. Let's just make our pick and hope we find the next Kawhi with it lol. Hold onto our 20yr old freak athlete center. I'm quite sure at 20 that you can still Improve your game. Ivey was a big letdown this year but he's got enough drive in him to bounce back

Duren’s defensive instincts and ability are bad, and poor defenders don’t become good ones ever. They can slightly improve but they don’t become plus defenders and Durens skill set as an athletic, rebounding, paint scoring Center just isn’t valuable in todays league. Being so young he still has intrigue and value. If you can trade him for a top 4 pick even in this draft you absolutely do it. If he doesn’t come into next season noticeably improved in multiple areas then his value will considerably dip and that’s poor asset management.

I have more faith in Ivey becoming a good player than Duren, but if Ivey + Duren could get us the 1st pick I’d definitely do it

I'd trade Ivey and our pick for this guy though :wink:
He'd be throwing lobs all day to ausar and duren

Read on Twitter
?t=udRMm48Qzt78bApTg_9HAg&s=19
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#597 » by A_dub06 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

Canadafan wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

I'd trade Ivey and our pick for this guy though :wink:
He'd be throwing lobs all day to ausar and duren

He averaged 4.5apg but 2 turnovers per game too, I wouldn’t be quick to assume he’d be great in that area. He’s interesting for sure but I really think his speed/quickness will be an issue at the NBA level and it’s not like that’s going to improve much, conditioning yes but there’s centers that look like they run faster than him. That aside, if we traded Duren for another high pick I wouldn’t be overly upset taking him risks and all.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,139

Post#598 » by The Moose » Wed May 15, 2024 11:07 am

Post Draft Lottery board update:

My main draft principles:
* Production & value impact : BPM, RAPM, WS/48
* Efficiency: TS%
* Feel: AST/TO + efficiency
* Hustle, Impact: (oreb rate, stl rate, block rate)
* Outlier physical traits *
* Outlier feel for the game *
* Age *

NOTES:

- Aim of my big board: To reflect the VORP over the prospects careers

- I prefer to have a concrete grading system rather than 'I just think player x is better than player y', things tend to get messy after the first few guys in redrafts.

- Differences within tiers are not notable at this stage, a lot depends on the draft fit

- I do think at least 1 of the wings I have in tier 5 (Knecht, Risacher, Furphy, Williams, Buzelis) will hit above my opinion, but I have no idea who lol

- Topic's recent injury spell and just general shakiness/not playing his last few months has caused me to drop him down a tier due to lack of confidence. If he loses his burst via injury he becomes a less enticing prospect.

Tier 3.5 - [fringe All star potential prospect] 2+ DPM peak potential
1. Donovan Clingan
2. Zach Edey
3. Reed Sheppard
4. Kyle Filipowski

Tier 4 - [starters/impact players]1+ DPM peak potential
5. Alex Sarr
6. Jared McCain
7. Nikola Topic
8. Rob Dillingham
9. DaRon Holmes II
10. Devin Carter
11. Ron Holland

Tier 5 - [rotation guys/guys that stick around the league] + to neutral DPM peak potential
12. Dalton Knecht
13. Matas Buzelis
14. Zac Risacher
15. Johnny Furphy
16. Cody Williams
17. Tyler Smith
18. Stephon Castle
19. Kel’el Ware

[Tier 6 - high variance guys]
20. Isaiah Collier
21. Carlton Carrington
22. Jamal Shead
23. Ja’Kobe Walter
24. Baylor Scheierman
25 Jonathan Mogbo

[Fringe guys]
26. Payton Sandfort
27. Alex Karaban
28. KJ Simpson
29. Tyler Kolek
30. Mark Sears

My big board at this point. As for Pistons specific, if we can come away with any of the top 4, I'll be happy.

Not sure why there isn't more buzz about Filipowski, especially to Detroit. In my opinion, there are some misconceptions about him, mainly that he is positionally locked as a 5 with bad rim protection. I don't see it that way. I see him as more of a jumbo wing who can slide up if needed, ala Lauri. He has elite coordination, dexterity and fluidity for a 6'11 guy and can actually dribble/pass/shoot. He's very talented, elite production + elite impact and so versatile offensively. He has a lot of paths to being a positive NBA player.

He should absolutely be in the discussion for this pick, especially given, from what we've heard, it doesn't seem like team is particularly interested in adding another raw/teenage project to its core to develop.

DaRon Holmes II is the absolute sleeper pick, he should be way higher than he's currently ranked, so underrated.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#599 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 15, 2024 11:37 am

Phenomenonsense wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:Knecht is the only player I want in this draft. I guess you have to take the flier on Sarr and Risacher. But anyone else is just bleh.

They are not even close in terms of a comparison, save for their skin color.

I mean I could post a long diatribe on why, but I'm tired as I just woke up. Just trust me on this.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,945

Post#600 » by ducler » Wed May 15, 2024 11:53 am

The Moose wrote:
Post Draft Lottery board update:

My main draft principles:
* Production & value impact : BPM, RAPM, WS/48
* Efficiency: TS%
* Feel: AST/TO + efficiency
* Hustle, Impact: (oreb rate, stl rate, block rate)
* Outlier physical traits *
* Outlier feel for the game *
* Age *

NOTES:

- Aim of my big board: To reflect the VORP over the prospects careers

- I prefer to have a concrete grading system rather than 'I just think player x is better than player y', things tend to get messy after the first few guys in redrafts.

- Differences within tiers are not notable at this stage, a lot depends on the draft fit

- I do think at least 1 of the wings I have in tier 5 (Knecht, Risacher, Furphy, Williams, Buzelis) will hit above my opinion, but I have no idea who lol

- Topic's recent injury spell and just general shakiness/not playing his last few months has caused me to drop him down a tier due to lack of confidence. If he loses his burst via injury he becomes a less enticing prospect.

Tier 3.5 - [fringe All star potential prospect] 2+ DPM peak potential
1. Donovan Clingan
2. Zach Edey
3. Reed Sheppard
4. Kyle Filipowski

Tier 4 - [starters/impact players]1+ DPM peak potential
5. Alex Sarr
6. Jared McCain
7. Nikola Topic
8. Rob Dillingham
9. DaRon Holmes II
10. Devin Carter
11. Ron Holland

Tier 5 - [rotation guys/guys that stick around the league] + to neutral DPM peak potential
12. Dalton Knecht
13. Matas Buzelis
14. Zac Risacher
15. Johnny Furphy
16. Cody Williams
17. Tyler Smith
18. Stephon Castle
19. Kel’el Ware

[Tier 6 - high variance guys]
20. Isaiah Collier
21. Carlton Carrington
22. Jamal Shead
23. Ja’Kobe Walter
24. Baylor Scheierman
25 Jonathan Mogbo

[Fringe guys]
26. Payton Sandfort
27. Alex Karaban
28. KJ Simpson
29. Tyler Kolek
30. Mark Sears

My big board at this point. As for Pistons specific, if we can come away with any of the top 4, I'll be happy.

Not sure why there isn't more buzz about Filipowski, especially to Detroit. In my opinion, there are some misconceptions about him, mainly that he is positionally locked as a 5 with bad rim protection. I don't see it that way. I see him as more of a jumbo wing who can slide up if needed, ala Lauri. He has elite coordination, dexterity and fluidity for a 6'11 guy and can actually dribble/pass/shoot. He's very talented, elite production + elite impact and so versatile offensively. He has a lot of paths to being a positive NBA player.

He should absolutely be in the discussion for this pick, especially given, from what we've heard, it doesn't seem like team is particularly interested in adding another raw/teenage project to its core to develop.

DaRon Holmes II is the absolute sleeper pick, he should be way higher than he's currently ranked, so underrated.
You don't have Salaun at all in your top 30?

Filipowski is intriging, he has game, but I fear about his t-rex arms.

Return to Detroit Pistons