ImageImageImage

Grimes

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

aad
Starter
And1: 470

Grimes 

Post#1 » by aad » Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 am

He is a good defender and can shoot the 3 pretty well why not start him next to Cade

He wasn’t healthy this past season but when he was he helped NY win games he’s a really underrated player
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 186

Re: Grimes 

Post#2 » by Rip32 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:17 am

Who?

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,405

Post#3 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:19 am

I'd like to see him shoot the three pretty well for us before I put him down in ink, but I think he seems like a solid fit for the type of player we'd like next to Cade for sure.

Cade, Grimes (if he rediscovers his shot), Fontecchio, and one of two of Ausar and Duren is a four man lineup that makes sense in terms of putting defense and spacing around Cade. Ausar and Duren together doesn't work due to the spacing, so we'd want that fifth guy to be in more of that 3 and D mold as well.

My preference is a big who can rim protect and space, since I think Ausar provides something special on defense and can do most of what Duren can do offensively (offensive rebounds and put backs, lob threat, etc.).
aad
Starter
And1: 470

Post#4 » by aad » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I'd like to see him shoot the three pretty well for us before I put him down in ink, but I think he seems like a solid fit for the type of player we'd like next to Cade for sure.

Cade, Grimes (if he rediscovers his shot), Fontecchio, and one of two of Ausar and Duren is a four man lineup that makes sense in terms of putting defense and spacing around Cade. Ausar and Duren together doesn't work due to the spacing, so we'd want that fifth guy to be in more of that 3 and D mold as well.

My preference is a big who can rim protect and space, since I think Ausar provides something special on defense and can do most of what Duren can do offensively (offensive rebounds and put backs, lob threat, etc.).

Cade
Grimes
Fontecchio
T.Harris
Duren
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 599

Post#5 » by LaSheed » Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 am

No kidding I was literally just thinking about how I keep forgetting we have Grimes. Gotta add him to my master plan offseason!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,190

Post#6 » by bstein14 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:10 am

Hopefully with our $69 million in cap space and #5 pick we're able to get someone better than Grimes, Ivey or Sasser to start next to Cade.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,475

Post#7 » by Billl » Fri May 17, 2024 4:52 pm

If he's healthy , he's a good defender and shooter, so he'll be in the rotation. Starting? Maybe. Depends on the rest of the off season obviously. He seems to struggle a bit with attacking a hard closeout, so I don't think he's someone as plug-n-play as fontecchio. We're going to need somoene besides Cade to be able to create for themselves or others.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,737

Post#8 » by Invictus88 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:17 pm

Billl wrote:If he's healthy , he's a good defender and shooter, so he'll be in the rotation. Starting? Maybe. Depends on the rest of the off season obviously. He seems to struggle a bit with attacking a hard closeout, so I don't think he's someone as plug-n-play as fontecchio. We're going to need somoene besides Cade to be able to create for themselves or others.

Yeah. I'm not sold on Grimes because so far. He's had exactly one good game for us and has been ice cold for us otherwise. This follows basically being forgotten about on the Knicks previously.

I don't know what others are seeing that results in anointing him as a starter. Maybe it's just because we have literally no one else and it's sort of wishful thinking? Not a great signal to have if you are then expecting a big improvement in terms of wins next season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,113

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Fri May 17, 2024 5:27 pm

The archetype of Grimes is an ideal fit. The jury is out on the actual player.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Billl » Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Billl wrote:If he's healthy , he's a good defender and shooter, so he'll be in the rotation. Starting? Maybe. Depends on the rest of the off season obviously. He seems to struggle a bit with attacking a hard closeout, so I don't think he's someone as plug-n-play as fontecchio. We're going to need somoene besides Cade to be able to create for themselves or others.

Yeah. I'm not sold on Grimes because so far. He's had exactly one good game for us and has been ice cold for us otherwise. This follows basically being forgotten about on the Knicks previously.

I don't know what others are seeing that results in anointing him as a starter. Maybe it's just because we have literally no one else and it's sort of wishful thinking? Not a great signal to have if you are then expecting a big improvement in terms of wins next season.

Well, he only played 6 games for us and was nursing an injury the whole time. His prior 2 years, hes a 38% 3point shooter on decent volume. Not really concerned about him shooting open jumpers. The concern is that he's strictly a 3 point shooter at this point. If he gets the sort of shots beef stew was getting, he'll be fine. If you put him in a position where he has to put the ball on the floor, that's just not his game. Unfortunately, we've been asking our role players to "do more" for the last decade.
TPA
Senior
And1: 488

Post#11 » by TPA » Fri May 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Billl wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Unfortunately, we've been asking our role players to "do more" for the last decade.

Hasn't that been one of Detroit's biggest issues in recent years? It seems more players than not have been one-trick ponies.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Billl » Fri May 17, 2024 7:09 pm

TPA wrote:
Billl wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Unfortunately, we've been asking our role players to "do more" for the last decade.

Hasn't that been one of Detroit's biggest issues in recent years? It seems more players than not have been one-trick ponies.

We've been trying to shove square pegs into round holes for quite some time and it never works. That's not the same as bringing in guys who are actually multi-talented 2-way players. We do stuff like "draft a combo guard and try to make him your pg". Or "draft an undersized center and hope his shot improves enough for him to be a floor spacing 4." I mean, guys do work on their games and all, but they rarely change the general type of player they are.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,023

Post#13 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 17, 2024 8:20 pm

bstein14 wrote:Hopefully with our $69 million in cap space and #5 pick we're able to get someone better than Grimes, Ivey or Sasser to start next to Cade.
That my friend, is going to depend entirely on who is running the show.

If it's captain dingleberry, the Pistons are adding another big, not a SG to fit with Cade.

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 483

Post#14 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:02 am

I like Grimes but he’s gotta be a 3 & D player to stay in the starting lineup. I’m ok keeping him if we don’t start Thompson and Duren together. Spacing is too much an issue like others have said. I’m ok with having Duren, Grimes, and Cade in the SL with the team working trades to round out the rest.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,963

Post#15 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat May 18, 2024 11:41 pm

Elon Musk has gotten more useful production out of Grimes than we have.
And yes, that's a bad joke, as is the notion of Grimes starting at this point.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 105

Post#16 » by SuperBad » Sat May 18, 2024 11:43 pm

I think we should try to flip him for Moody, GS needs to cut costs, I think his salary is a couple million less and that doubles for them so they might be willing I’d throw in Stanley Umude and a 2nd rd pick and or another second rd swap, he’s a good fit and a high school teammate of Cades, the good old days for him. Maybe draft Gnecht, you have a wing rotation of
Cade 30-40 Minutes
Knecht 24-32 minutes
Moody 26-36 minutes
Ausar 24-32 minutes
Then just leave 12-18 minutes for an Ivey/Sasser showdown, Ivey flys in a limited role, or Sasser out plays him and we move Ivey by the trade deadline. Overstock the front court roster so it will be easy to make a move throwing in a Duran or Stewart if needed.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,899

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 6:26 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:Elon Musk has gotten more useful production out of Grimes than we have.
And yes, that's a bad joke, as is the notion of Grimes starting at this point.

I don’t think of him as a starter, but as a backup SG. I would like to see him at 100%. It’s hard to judge on his short Pistons stint while injured.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed May 22, 2024 12:25 am

Would like to see him in summer league.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Detroit Pistons