NBA Playoffs

Moderators: theBigLip, Cowology, dVs33, Snakebites

pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 114

Re: NBA Playoffs 

Post#281 » by pistons4ever » Tue May 21, 2024 6:10 am

Pick 5 must be Reed
Absorb r Williams and brogdon( time lord is a walking injury but the perfect piston player)

With the Rest sign best pf available or trade a pckge of sasser, Simone, grimes , ivey for Best pf

If you dont get time lord sign claxton ....

Duren /Williams/ Pick no.54
FA or Simone/Stewart
Cade/Thompson
Sheppard/Grimes
Brogdon/Ivey

Go out, fight and make us relevant
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#282 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 am

Snakebites wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Congrats to Minny.

3 years ago they won 23 games and didn't even have the rights to their 2021 pick that year, having traded it to the Warriors with little to no protections to get D'Angelo Russell.

We had won only 3 games fewer and scored the top pick in the draft.

In hindsight a lot of the pieces they're headed to the conference finals with were already in place, but they didn't look like they were in a great spot at the time.

Still, crazy the diverging paths our two teams have taken, even if in hindsight they had a lot more going on than that 23 win total would have suggested.
Is it possible that Cade, Ausar & Duren are key components in a similar turnaround here?

The move to get Conley and Gobert was obviously a huge thing for them.

We need to stop kicking the cap space can down the road and start adding veterans that will change the loser mindset this organisation seems to have.

That said I imagine most of us are really appreciative that a team like Minnesota has made the WCF and that defense still matters.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

I have a hard time imagining it. Cade could be a real star but he’s not a go to scorer like ANT.

Is any on this planet? :lol:

Snakebites wrote: The rest of this playoffs is super interesting. No matter how you slice it, a core that has never won a ring will be taking one home. Just hope it’s not the Celtics.

Please not the Celtics.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,995

Post#283 » by Cowology » Tue May 21, 2024 2:01 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Cowology wrote:Ya know what? Time to give KAT his flowers. Dude played great. He defended Jokic better than Gobert and it wasn't even close. Which in fairness Gobert is a great help-side defender, but man to man the Joker straight up abused him. KAT played him tough and Jokic really struggled at times when he was the primary defender.

Gobert was still the missing piece they needed to topple Denver and slow down Jokic. His plus/minus for the playoffs was like +111

Being able to throw at Jokic: Naz, KAT, and Gobert is an extreme luxury, almost built to take on the Nuggets
Sure, but that's not the point I was making. In fact it's kinda doing the opposite. KAT has gotten a lot of hate over the years but he was very good in this series. Not taking anything away from anybody else, but it's worth recognizing how strong he played the MVP.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,993

Post#284 » by Snakebites » Tue May 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Rudy Gobert's main defensive value isn't as a man to man defender, it's as a rim protector/help defender. So it's not really a slight to him to say that someone else guarded Jokic better.

Jokic is a guy that regular defensive centers AREN'T typically comfortable guarding. That's part of what makes him the best player in the world.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#285 » by Cowology » Tue May 21, 2024 2:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:Rudy Gobert's main defensive value isn't as a man to man defender, it's as a rim protector/help defender. So it's not really a slight to him to say that someone else guarded Jokic better.

Jokic is a guy that regular defensive centers AREN'T typically comfortable guarding. That's part of what makes him the best player in the world.
It was interesting how easily Jokic got post position vs. Gobert. To your point, he's focused on being a help side defender instead of battling for early post-position but way to often it seemed like Jokic was able to catch the ball in the paint when Rudy was the primary. And then Jokic just sorta bodied him under the basket and did whatever he wanted.

Kat was battling him out at the 3pt line and not allowing him to catch the ball in his comfort spots. And yeah, having Gobert behind him is a BIG plus. Absolutely equitable to Sheed being our best post-defender, while everybody benefits from Ben protecting the middle.

Both guys played great, as did Reid. It was a good series.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,993

Post#286 » by Snakebites » Tue May 21, 2024 2:35 pm

Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Rudy Gobert's main defensive value isn't as a man to man defender, it's as a rim protector/help defender. So it's not really a slight to him to say that someone else guarded Jokic better.

It was interesting how easily Jokic got post position vs. Gobert. To your point, he's focused on being a help side defender instead of battling for early post-position but way to often it seemed like Jokic was able to catch the ball in the paint when Rudy was the primary. And then Jokic just sorta bodied him under the basket and did whatever he wanted.

Kat was battling him out at the 3pt line and not allowing him to catch the ball in his comfort spots. And yeah, having Gobert behind him is a BIG plus. Absolutely equitable to Sheed being our best post-defender, while everybody benefits from Ben protecting the middle.

Both guys played great, as did Reid. It was a good series.

Yeah.

Ben was a good man defender but it was typically Rasheed guarding the Tim Duncans of the world.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#287 » by Cowology » Wed May 22, 2024 2:20 am

bstein14 wrote:Dallas 25% Minny 75%
Pacers 10% Boston 90%

I feel like the NBA would hate a Indiana vs Minnesota finals. Two small market midwest teams would be a nightmare for them. Would be exciting to see best offense go against best defense with two young dynamic guards from the 2020 draft class go head to head but I have a feeling we'll get Boston in the Finals
Indy vs Minny is feeling like a thing that might actually happen. BOS really needs Zingis back.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#288 » by Canadafan » Wed May 22, 2024 3:06 am

Nice to see Haliburton screw up at the end lol. Indy almost had that game wow
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,583

Post#289 » by vege » Wed May 22, 2024 3:07 am

Indiana did not believe they could win the game. It was their game to lose, and they've lost it.

It was a very entertaining game.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,395

Post#290 » by GreekAlex » Wed May 22, 2024 4:26 am

vege wrote:Indiana did not believe they could win the game. It was their game to lose, and they've lost it.

Indy playing this well without Mathurin or Jarace Walker is very impressive. They have a bright future.
jars
Junior
And1: 61

Post#291 » by jars » Wed May 22, 2024 4:47 am

vege wrote:Indiana did not believe they could win the game. It was their game to lose, and they've lost it.

Boston didn't win that game, Indy lost it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#292 » by theBigLip » Wed May 22, 2024 6:09 am

jars wrote:

Yup. Sad to see. I hate Boston. Partly because of our rivalry years ago, partly because of a Larry Bird story. They should win the series but lose to Minnesota. But I wish I could have seen a Pacers win. Soooo many turnovers late in the game and OT, times when you can’t afford a single one.
JNewton
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#293 » by JNewton » Wed May 22, 2024 11:59 am

GreekAlex wrote:

Indy playing this well without Mathurin or Jarace Walker is very impressive. They have a bright future.

Rick Carlisle is a hell of a coach. Part of me wishes Casey would have stepped down a year earlier and the Pistons could have brought Carlisle back for a second stint instead of the Pacers. While the Pistons certainly don't have the Pacers' level of talent, they wouldn't have been as historically awful as they were under Monty.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#294 » by Cowology » Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm

theBigLip wrote:
jars wrote:

Yup. Sad to see. I hate Boston. Partly because of our rivalry years ago, partly because of a Larry Bird story. They should win the series but lose to Minnesota. But I wish I could have seen a Pacers win. Soooo many turnovers late in the game and OT, times when you can’t afford a single one.
BOS was my most hated team growing up but now that Ainge is gone there isn't really anybody else left to hate. *shrug*

It's hard to have rivalries when you are bad. Everybody kicks your ass.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#295 » by theBigLip » Wed May 22, 2024 3:44 pm

Cowology wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
jars wrote:Boston didn't win that game, Indy lost it.

BOS was my most hated team growing up but now that Ainge is gone there isn't really anybody else left to hate. *shrug*

It's hard to have rivalries when you are bad. Everybody kicks your ass.

I also dislike them when talking about the number of championships the organization has. A lot of those banners come from when there were 8 or 9 teams. I don’t think they mean as much as a championship today being the best of 30 teams.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#296 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed May 22, 2024 5:51 pm

Do I want Gobert or Kyrie to lose more?
Do I want the Celdicks or Pukers to lose more?
These finals are hard!
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#297 » by MortSahlfan » Wed May 22, 2024 8:18 pm

I was a huge Rick Carlisle fan, still am, and wish we didn't fire him, but he should foul being up by 3.. That's the third time this playoffs a game has gone to OT because they don't want to foul. Indiana definitely gave that game away. I'm still upset, because it would have made the series more exciting, and I dont like Boston's bull offense and just prefer underdogs anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if they sweep Indiana. I think Minnesota is going to win easily over Dallas but I'll be curious to see how they rotate the 3 big men Minny has..

Hope this isn't the last time we see Inside The NBA. And I just hope it's the original crew. Vince Carter might be a nice guy but he has no TV skills but most are pretty dull but I'll take an NBA player/coach any day over a dull pedestrian.
JennetteMcCurdy
Junior
And1: 201

Post#298 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Wed May 22, 2024 9:51 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I was a huge Rick Carlisle fan, still am, and wish we didn't fire him, but he should foul being up by 3.. That's the third time this playoffs a game has gone to OT because they don't want to foul. Indiana definitely gave that game away. I'm still upset, because it would have made the series more exciting, and I dont like Boston's bull offense and just prefer underdogs anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if they sweep Indiana. I think Minnesota is going to win easily over Dallas but I'll be curious to see how they rotate the 3 big men Minny has..

Hope this isn't the last time we see Inside The NBA. And I just hope it's the original crew. Vince Carter might be a nice guy but he has no TV skills but most are pretty dull but I'll take an NBA player/coach any day over a dull pedestrian.

Brown caught the ball facing the basket - it would have been hard to foul him without him forcing the shot and getting the free throws. I’m all for fouling when the player is turned in that situation.

What drove me nuts was Indy’s inbounds play that Siakam fumbled out. Four players in four different corners of the court! No screens! And why wasn’t McConnell in the game? Made absolutely no sense to me.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#299 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:11 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I was a huge Rick Carlisle fan, still am, and wish we didn't fire him

Larry Brown didn't get more out of a Sheed-less Pistons than Carlisle did. It was Sheed that put us over the top.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#300 » by MortSahlfan » Wed May 22, 2024 11:02 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I was a huge Rick Carlisle fan, still am, and wish we didn't fire him

Larry Brown didn't get more out of a Sheed-less Pistons than Carlisle did. It was Sheed that put us over the top.

Exactly. Even though we had another year of chemistry, we weren't playing very well, but when we got Sheed, we went 21-4 and he was the missing piece on so many levels. Brown actually said coaching the Knicks would be his dream job while our players tried to repeat.

Return to Detroit Pistons