And1: 4,261

Re: New depth chart 

Post#21 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:55 pm

Jingles2 wrote:Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Grimes
Ausur/Grimes
Simone/Stewart
Duren/Stewart/Muscala

Out of the regular rotation or minimal minutes:Wiseman, Gallinari, Fournier, Brown, Flynn, Mikton

That would be mine as well.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,269

Post#22 » by NYPiston » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:56 pm

I see it as....

Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Grimes
Fontecchio/Ausar (for now)
Stewart (for now)/Gallo
Duren/Muscala/Wiseman

I'd probably move Simone to starting PF and Ausar to SF with Stew backing up Simone but I think the above will be the rotation we see from Monty.

I find this lineup more intriguing than the previous lineup, I like the guards quite a bit now. Still lean at forward but I'm intrigued by Fontecchio's game.
At the very least, the Pistons will be more fun to watch the rest of the season. With all due respect to Bogey and Burks who were great scorers when they were on, it just wasn't fun watching old guys doing the bulk of the scoring then seeing them play the role of a pylon defensively. I like the two way upside of the new guys a lot more even if they might not pile in as many points.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#23 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:00 pm

Billl wrote:I'm most interested to see how the defense looks a month from now. We've punted out pretty much all the really bad defenders except Ivey , and even he has been showing a lot more fight recently.

Cade is (at least) as bad as Ivey and Duren isn't tooo terribly far behind IMO. But Bojan was easily the worst and Burks was also very bad, so it should bring the level of everyone else up to replace them both with significantly better defenders. Should be a lot easier on our bigs.

Hopefully Weaver is done with the one-way vets. Finally 2 vaguely 3+D guys on the roster.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,142

Post#24 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:12 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Billl wrote:I'm most interested to see how the defense looks a month from now. We've punted out pretty much all the really bad defenders except Ivey , and even he has been showing a lot more fight recently.

Cade is (at least) as bad as Ivey and Duren isn't tooo terribly far behind IMO. But Bojan was easily the worst and Burks was also very bad, so it should bring the level of everyone else up to replace them both with significantly better defenders.

Hopefully Weaver is done with the one-way vets. Finally 2 vaguely 3+D guys on the roster.

Duren just banged hard with Sabonis all game. Duren has gone from easily well below average as a rookie to slightly above average in year two IMO. Especially in man to man he perhaps still needs to get a bit better help side as he often helps and his man gets the easy bucket but part of that has to get better by individual wing/guard defenders staying in front of their mans better as well so Duren isn't constantly put in that position.

I think Cade is worst on defense than what Ivey has shown the last month.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#25 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:17 pm

bstein14 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Cade is (at least) as bad as Ivey and Duren isn't tooo terribly far behind IMO. But Bojan was easily the worst and Burks was also very bad, so it should bring the level of everyone else up to replace them both with significantly better defenders.

Duren just banged hard with Sabonis all game. Duren has gone from easily well below average as a rookie to slightly above average in year two IMO. Especially in man to man he perhaps still needs to get a bit better help side as he often helps and his man gets the easy bucket but part of that has to get better by individual wing/guard defenders staying in front of their mans better as well so Duren isn't constantly put in that position.

Duren's main issue is getting stuck in no man's land when guarding pick and rolls and often ends up not slowing down the ball handler but also not committing to take out the roll man. Certainly doesn't help that Ivey, Cade, etc are also bad at guarding PNR ball handlers, but it is what it is. Also tricky to quantify since some can be on Monty's scheme, but it's night and day with Stew in that spot.

The other thing is sometimes the effort seems to go up and down there. We saw him look like a beast the first few games on defense, but then we'll see him just casually not challenging shots in the lane for multiple games at a time.

All of these guys are young, so they should get better, but I don't think we've gotten rid of "pretty much all the really bad defenders except Ivey". Just replaced a couple vey bad ones with better ones. Still moving in the right direction.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 585

Post#26 » by LaSheed » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:21 pm

BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Duren's main issue is getting stuck in no man's land when guarding pick and rolls and often ends up not slowing down the ball handler but also not committing to take out the roll man. Certainly doesn't help that Ivey, Cade, etc are also bad at guarding PNR ball handlers, but it is what it is. Also tricky to quantify since some can be on Monty's scheme, but it's night and day with Stew in that spot.

The other thing is sometimes the effort seems to go up and down there. We saw him look like a beast the first few games on defense, but then we'll see him just casually not challenging shots in the lane for multiple games at a time.

Was just going to say how bad our pnr defense is. Awful. Jalen is lost and his guards don't help any
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#27 » by coordinator0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:52 pm

I'm thinking something like this:

Cunningham / Sasser
Ivey / Grimes
Fontecchio / Thompson
Stewart / Gallinari
Duren / Muscala

With Flynn, Milton, Brown Jr., Fournier, and Wiseman never seeing any real rotation time besides filling in for injuries or rest. Not sure on how the minutes are split besides Cunningham, Ivey, and Duren all seeing 30+ on a regular basis. There's a lot of fluidity otherwise. In a good way though. I think there's more lineup flexibility in that main rotational group than there was before.

Also, a defensive closing lineup of Sasser/Grimes/Thomspon/Fontecchio/Stewart is somewhat viable. No real offensive focal point but it's not awful.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#28 » by DET_Athletics » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 am

I think this is very close with Brown taking the Backup SF spot and Asur taking backup PF spot. I think we wiff this off-season with bringing in someone then go hard after Kuminga or Markkanan next off season. I pray we land Zachire Risacher in the draft and really push for a play-in next year. I honestly thought we were Play-in good this year if we had a healthy squad all year long. I think Killian would had been traded much earlier if we were healthy.

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 478

Post#29 » by DetroitDon15 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 am

The line up that I think that we will see is below. I base it on today’s game and the returning of injured players. I see the following:

G Cade / Sasser / Milton
G Ivey / Grimes / Milton
F Thompson / Brown Jr. / Udume
F Stewart / Fontecchio / Muscala
C Duren / Wiseman / Muscala

I’m not sure if this roster is much better outside of no Hayes.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,294

Post#30 » by GreekAlex » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:17 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:The line up that I think that we will see is below. I base it on today’s game and the returning of injured players. I see the following:

G Cade / Sasser / Milton
G Ivey / Grimes / Milton

I’m not sure that you can start Thompson, Stewart & Duren together.

Seeing the shooting around Cade and Ivey makes them way more effective.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,534

Post#31 » by whitehops » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:19 am

Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Grimes
Fontecchio/TBJ
Stewart/Ausar
Duren/Muscala

wiseman, fournier, flynn and melton are out of the rotation.

not perfect lineups but there's at least only one non-shooter in each and our defense should be much improved, even if we lack offensive creation overall.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#32 » by MotownMadness » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:54 am

I think Fontecchio gets the starting PF spot while Stewart is out and keeps it
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#33 » by Canadafan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:The line up that I think that we will see is below. I base it on today’s game and the returning of injured players. I see the following:

G Cade / Sasser / Milton
G Ivey / Grimes / Milton

Don't forget Malachi Flynn! Lol
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,294

Post#34 » by GreekAlex » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I think Fontecchio gets the starting PF spot while Stewart is out and keeps it

I hope so. As much as Stew helps on defense, it seems like the starting group stalls out on offense without more dynamic weapons.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,023

Post#35 » by Snakebites » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:11 pm

Yeah, still want Stew out of the starting lineup.

It seems they still view him as a shooter when functionally he’s not. He doesn’t actually create space. I’d much rather see Fontecchio starting with Ausar.

Annoying that it’s very clear that won’t happen. The fact that we kept Wiseman makes it clear they still view Stew as a PF not a center. Shame- he’d be great off the bench.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#36 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:17 pm

Wiseman is the last piece of dead weight that has to come off the roster but with Stewart's injury and the Bagley trade I think they kept him as a precautionary measure. I'm thinking Stewart will be mostly in the PF role until next season. A strong PF from a trade, FA or the draft combined with losing Wiseman will make it happen.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,142

Post#37 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:44 pm

I'm torn. Part of me doesn't like Ausar and Duren together too much because I'd rather have them each with four shooters. That said, I also want Ausar to get as much time and development as possible.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,985

Post#38 » by zeebneeb » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:04 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I think Fontecchio gets the starting PF spot while Stewart is out and keeps it
That, even though I support it 100%, is the least likely thing to happen.

If it does, ill eat crow, a boot, and a damn hat.
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#39 » by kierkegaard » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
That, even though I support it 100%, is the least likely thing to happen.

If it does, ill eat crow, a boot, and a damn hat.

Here ya go. Seems that you'll have a choice.

LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 585

Post#40 » by LaSheed » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:15 pm

I'm definitely ok with Ausar starting or getting the most minutes off the bench but I really like the idea of a Sasser/Grimes/Stewart trio off the bench.

Return to Detroit Pistons