ImageImageImage

Maybe it’s Not All Weavers Fault

Moderators: theBigLip, Cowology, dVs33, Snakebites

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,583

Re: Maybe it’s Not All Weavers Fault 

Post#21 » by vege » Sun May 19, 2024 7:33 pm

Snakebites wrote:Given those trades we made with the Nets were very much in keeping with Weavers’ patterns I’m a bit skeptical of this particular example.

We’ve seen Tellem’s hand in other ways though, such as with Sirvydis- the Tellem connected client we signed despite his not being NBA level.

I could be proven wrong if we start taking the Suns crap now though.

It’s always been true that it’s not ALL Troy’s fault. But he’s been part of the failure.

Gallinari being traded to us, playing a few games to show he could play, than being bought out to sign somewhere else. Tellem's son is Gallinari's agent.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,982

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 7:35 pm

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Given those trades we made with the Nets were very much in keeping with Weavers’ patterns I’m a bit skeptical of this particular example.

We’ve seen Tellem’s hand in other ways though, such as with Sirvydis- the Tellem connected client we signed despite his not being NBA level.

I could be proven wrong if we start taking the Suns crap now though.

It’s always been true that it’s not ALL Troy’s fault. But he’s been part of the failure.

Gallinari being traded to us, playing a few games to show he could play, than being bought out to sign somewhere else. Tellem's son is Gallinari's agent.

Getting out of Bagley’s deal still made that one a net positive for us.

I’d have preferred to keep Gallo.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#23 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:49 am

It's not all Weaver's fault. So what? The beatings will continue until our record improves.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#24 » by theBigLip » Mon May 20, 2024 4:09 pm

BDM22 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:https://www.netsdaily.com/2024/5/17/24159482/macmahon-brooklyn-nets-capologist-matt-tellem-headed-to-phoenix

I had no idea that Tellem’s kid was working for the Nets. I thought he was just representing players or part of the agency that his father started.

This makes eating the Joe Harris deal and to a lesser extent, DeAndre Jordan deal look way worse.

How many other moves has Tellem potentially influenced?

How about Gores overriding the coaching search?

I don’t think that Weaver has done anything special but these questions definitely make you second guess every move and make me want to place more blame solely with Gores.

There’s many ways to assess front office personnel’s abilities and performance which for the sake of the post I understand and agree that some of weavers decisions were probably overrode or influenced. With that said, Weaver also not having the brain or the balls to dig his heels in and make sure his decisions are his decisions are also a knock on his abilities. An intelligent and confident GM would be able to navigate the difficult communications between themself and other front office roles, even the owner to an extent, to make them see it’s their job and ultimately fate that are responsible so it should be them making the call.

The draft lottery outcomes are not Weavers fault, but outside of that weaver is either 100% or almost 100% responsible. If memory serves weaver also wanted Monty buy Monty passed. It was Weaver who traded our first for Stewart, it was Weaver who traded 2nd round picks to acquire players and then more again to get rid of them. It was weaver who wasted money on players like Bagley, Wiseman, Harris but didn’t think to offer Herb Jones a poison pill contract that would’ve make the Pelicans sweat. It was Weaver who didn’t trade Bojan when he had real value. It was weaver who wasn’t skilled enough in trades to actually pull value or use cap space for bad contracts and good picks.

Whichever way you cut it, Weaver failed and his “plan” if you can actually call it one is terrible. What if we didn’t win the #1 pick and instead fell to 5th when we drafted Cade? How would things be different. Every reclamation project he took on hasn’t panned out, and our young players outside of Cade haven’t developed. There’s so many red flags that there’s no other way to conclude that his tenure here has been a colossal failure.

Just saying "dig your heels in" here when you've seemingly got multiple people in the room with veto power above the GM who can just say "nah, we're gonna do this instead" isn't all that useful in these scenarios. At some point that just means you've got to resign and give up all of those guaranteed millions which just isn't something most people are going to do unless they've got something else lined up.

Totally agree.

Before we start saying what Weaver should do, think about yourself and your job. How many times do you go over your bosses head, tell everyone your boss and others on that level are wrong, and demand that everyone follows your plan? If you do, you’re probably on Linked in later that day looking for a job.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,818

Post#25 » by DBC10 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:02 pm

theBigLip wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
There’s many ways to assess front office personnel’s abilities and performance which for the sake of the post I understand and agree that some of weavers decisions were probably overrode or influenced. With that said, Weaver also not having the brain or the balls to dig his heels in and make sure his decisions are his decisions are also a knock on his abilities. An intelligent and confident GM would be able to navigate the difficult communications between themself and other front office roles, even the owner to an extent, to make them see it’s their job and ultimately fate that are responsible so it should be them making the call.

The draft lottery outcomes are not Weavers fault, but outside of that weaver is either 100% or almost 100% responsible. If memory serves weaver also wanted Monty buy Monty passed. It was Weaver who traded our first for Stewart, it was Weaver who traded 2nd round picks to acquire players and then more again to get rid of them. It was weaver who wasted money on players like Bagley, Wiseman, Harris but didn’t think to offer Herb Jones a poison pill contract that would’ve make the Pelicans sweat. It was Weaver who didn’t trade Bojan when he had real value. It was weaver who wasn’t skilled enough in trades to actually pull value or use cap space for bad contracts and good picks.

Whichever way you cut it, Weaver failed and his “plan” if you can actually call it one is terrible. What if we didn’t win the #1 pick and instead fell to 5th when we drafted Cade? How would things be different. Every reclamation project he took on hasn’t panned out, and our young players outside of Cade haven’t developed. There’s so many red flags that there’s no other way to conclude that his tenure here has been a colossal failure.

Just saying "dig your heels in" here when you've seemingly got multiple people in the room with veto power above the GM who can just say "nah, we're gonna do this instead" isn't all that useful in these scenarios. At some point that just means you've got to resign and give up all of those guaranteed millions which just isn't something most people are going to do unless they've got something else lined up.

Totally agree.

Before we start saying what Weaver should do, think about yourself and your job. How many times do you go over your bosses head, tell everyone your boss and others on that level are wrong, and demand that everyone follows your plan? If you do, you’re probably on Linked in later that day looking for a job.

Eh I only sort of agree with that. Only because if people read the book, "Crucial Conversations" and other actual leadership courses they'd know how to navigate tough conversations to leadership and also leadership having an ounce of humility to take criticism from their people and accepting where they may be wrong

We have neither it seems like, nor the culture to foster that type of environment. Too bad
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#26 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 3:19 pm

DBC10 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Totally agree.

Eh I only sort of agree with that. Only because if people read the book, "Crucial Conversations" and other actual leadership courses they'd know how to navigate tough conversations to leadership and also leadership having an ounce of humility to take criticism from their people and accepting where they may be wrong

We have neither it seems like, nor the culture to foster that type of environment. Too bad

I agree it’s a better leadership style to be able to listen. Some do and some don’t, and it’s risky to push that too much as an underling.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,854

Post#27 » by Invictus88 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:57 pm

theBigLip wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Totally agree.

I agree it’s a better leadership style to be able to listen. Some do and some don’t, and it’s risky to push that too much as an underling.

But managing up is something Weaver has to be able to do in order to be successful in his current role. Is it fair to Weaver that he has to do it compared to some of his peers that do not? Debatable? But it's the reality. In many jobs this is the case. Some folks are good at this. Weaver has not shown he was during the most crucial moment.

You really can't do anything currently to get rid of Gores. He has to want to leave. But he is potentially hiring new staff underneath. So the only hope we have is to find a stronger presence underneath that enables himself to be a more effective GM.

I can't get behind folks just accepting the fact that Weaver has done a poor job being a GM because of Gores and then being okay with him staying put. At that point you are just resigning yourself to the fact that nothing will change and your team is going to suck. Get that mentality out of here.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#28 » by Canadafan » Wed May 22, 2024 4:37 am

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4TxGpJyei0/?igsh=MXhhZXRoNGthaThodA==

Whoever hired this guy, it's all their fault lmao
jars
Junior
And1: 61

Post#29 » by jars » Wed May 22, 2024 4:54 am

Sheeeeed wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:No matter if Weaver wanted Monty or not, wasn't his choice of coach to hire Adrian Griffin?

Ollie too.
Either one would have been better developing our youth than the clown coaching us now.

Except Griffin was a disaster from start with the Bucks.

That was a tough situation to walk into for a first time head coach. They just traded away their heart and soul in Holiday and expected the head coach to simultaneously re-create their entire offense and defense as well as smooth over the chemistry issues from the trade. Griffin didn't do great but I give him a pass on this one, especially when Doc had a significantly worse record with the same group after they brought him in.

Return to Detroit Pistons