ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 110

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#281 » by pistons4ever » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:56 am

I really like the idea of trading the pick for a proven player like markkanen or ingram if it become possible...

Another idea which would be nice.

Trade the pick for 2 picks...so if we are top 2 the spurs and the blazers have 2 picks... perhaps the spurs would like to have a guarentee of sarr or risacher but the picks 3 and 8 would be a little too much to climb only one spot... in this case we should have the No.1 pick

The blazers right now with pick 4 and 13 (the stand of nbadraft) would be sweat...

Draft sheppard with the 4th and the most talented big with the 13th..... i think daron holmes could become a riser... 6-10 with athletism, range and defense.....plays a great year as a junior
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Post#282 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:36 am

pistons4ever wrote:I really like the idea of trading the pick for a proven player like markkanen or ingram if it become possible...

Trade the pick for 2 picks...so if we are top 2 the spurs and the blazers have 2 picks... perhaps the spurs would like to have a guarentee of sarr or risacher but the picks 3 and 8 would be a little too much to climb only one spot... in this case we should have the No.1 pick

The blazers right now with pick 4 and 13 (the stand of nbadraft) would be sweat...

Draft sheppard with the 4th and the most talented big with the 13th..... i think daron holmes could become a riser... 6-10 with athletism, range and defense.....plays a great year as a junior

I don't mind trading back but ideally I'd like a good starter and a pick.

Like trade back for Jerami Grant and their pick.... trade back to the Bulls for Caruso and their pick... etc
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#283 » by NYPiston » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:24 am

theBigLip wrote:
The guys you listed are OKC and Orlando guys. I agree they have better “young” rosters. Chet and Paolo could be ours if the ping pong balls were kinder to us. Not a reflection on Weaver.

Also, your opinion is in the minority on Cade. He’s not average. You look at any list of player evaluations and he’s solid. Duren pops up pretty high as well. He’s not “bad” as you called him. How many other 19 year olds in the entire league would you rather have? That list isn’t long.

I listed those other guys because they are the Piston young guy comparables, same age group as the Pistons guys for the most part but much further advanced.

Cade gives just as much back defensively as he does offensively, he still turns the ball over at inopportune times and has struggled in the clutch a lot this season. Duren has a lot of raw talent and puts up good offensive numbers at times but he's another one that struggles significantly defensively and makes low IQ plays. These guys are not above average NBA starters at this point in their careers, they don't play winning basketball.

There's plenty of growth potential but we're talking about guys that are leading a 10 win team. I'm talking about them RIGHT NOW btw, not calling them a finished product. They have a long way to go to learn how to play winning basketball, the proof is in the pudding.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#284 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:50 am

pistons4ever wrote:I really like the idea of trading the pick for a proven player like markkanen or ingram if it become possible...

I am all aboard trading the pick for a guy like Ingram if we can get an extension handshake deal.

2024 pick + filler for BI.

Sign another shooter like Kennard

Starters:
Cade
Ivey
Ingram
Ausar
Duren

Bench
Sasser
Kennard
Grimes
Fonteccio
Stewart
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#285 » by A_dub06 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:45 am

Personally I see Ingram as a high risk player. Since his rookies season these are the amount of games he’s played in each year; 59, 52, 62, 61, 55, 45 and this year he’s played in 56 so far. That’s almost 25% of games missed in each season.

I’ve been saying it everywhere but if there’s a player on the Pelicans we should be targeting it’s Trey Murphy. #1 pick is too much to give for him but his defence and shooting is better than Ingrams. I really think he’s got another gear in him too but he doesn’t get the opportunity coming off the bench and playing next to Zion/Ingram.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#286 » by GreekAlex » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:49 pm

A_dub06 wrote:Personally I see Ingram as a high risk player. Since his rookies season these are the amount of games he’s played in each year; 59, 52, 62, 61, 55, 45 and this year he’s played in 56 so far. That’s almost 25% of games missed in each season.

I’ve been saying it everywhere but if there’s a player on the Pelicans we should be targeting it’s Trey Murphy. #1 pick is too much to give for him but his defence and shooting is better than Ingrams. I really think he’s got another gear in him too but he doesn’t get the opportunity coming off the bench and playing next to Zion/Ingram.

I’ve been screaming the same thing about Ingram as well as DeAndre Hunter and a few other common trade targets.

I don’t want any player that’s getting starter money with a track record of tons of missed games.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#287 » by MotownMadness » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:31 am

Another nice game today

GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#288 » by GreekAlex » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:32 am

Read on Twitter

Interesting. First I heard of him
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#289 » by A_dub06 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:55 am

I really hope for this draft that we pick who they believe is the best prospect available regardless of position. Outside of Cade, nobody should be deemed irreplaceable and we need to get the best talent. Zaccharie probably fits best on paper, but Sarr has the highest ceiling, and I’d be pissed if they said we have a Duren/Stew so draft for fit. Williams looks like a starter best case scenario, Buezelis is a big wing that looks like he can shoot but the numbers aren’t there which is worrying imo plus I saw this interview with him where he openly states he didn’t like basketball until 15 where he realised he could have a future in it. Sheppard looks like a better shooting but less athletic version of Austin Reaves but maybe that’s me stereotyping him with his whiteness haha. Still I wouldn’t want a guy that’s going to struggle athletically the way he will.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#290 » by joedumars1 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:03 pm

A_dub06 wrote:I really hope for this draft that we pick who they believe is the best prospect available regardless of position. Outside of Cade, nobody should be deemed irreplaceable and we need to get the best talent. Zaccharie probably fits best on paper, but Sarr has the highest ceiling, and I’d be pissed if they said we have a Duren/Stew so draft for fit. Williams looks like a starter best case scenario, Buezelis is a big wing that looks like he can shoot but the numbers aren’t there which is worrying imo plus I’ve been at he’s an interview with him where he openly states he didn’t like basketball until 15 where he realised he could have a future in it. Sheppard looks like a better shooting but less athletic version of Austin Reaves but maybe that’s me stereotyping him with his whiteness haha. Still I wouldn’t want a guy that’s going to struggle athletically the way he will.
yeah idk if it’s stereotyping or not but I see the same thing. Reddick type, that’s a good player, but I want more even if the player bust. At least I know I took my shot and likely who the draft experts thought would go 1st
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#291 » by A_dub06 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:I really hope for this draft that we pick who they believe is the best prospect available regardless of position. Outside of Cade, nobody should be deemed irreplaceable and we need to get the best talent. Zaccharie probably fits best on paper, but Sarr has the highest ceiling, and I’d be pissed if they said we have a Duren/Stew so draft for fit. Williams looks like a starter best case scenario, Buezelis is a big wing that looks like he can shoot but the numbers aren’t there which is worrying imo plus I’ve been at he’s an interview with him where he openly states he didn’t like basketball until 15 where he realised he could have a future in it. Sheppard looks like a better shooting but less athletic version of Austin Reaves but maybe that’s me stereotyping him with his whiteness haha. Still I wouldn’t want a guy that’s going to struggle athletically the way he will.
yeah idk if it’s stereotyping or not but I see the same thing. Reddick type, that’s a good player, but I want more even if the player bust. At least I know I took my shot and likely who the draft experts thought would go 1st

Exactly! It may most be the best draft, but that doesn’t mean set the bar at being in the league within 5 years. If we get #1, we better be going for the highest upside player which is explainable if they don’t work out other than “hey we got a great backup player”.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

Post#292 » by SuperBad » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 am

I’d be interested in getting any of the top 5-6 forwards in this draft, to go along with Ja Kobe Walter’s? If we could get two in the top ten.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#293 » by GreekAlex » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 am

SuperBad wrote:I’d be interested in getting any of the top 5-6 forwards in this draft, to go along with Ja Kobe Walter’s? If we could get two in the top ten.

I’ve kind of cooled on Walter. His 3p% has fallen to 34%

When that’s supposed to be your strength, it’s pretty disappointing to connect at that rate from the shorter college line.
guldakot
Rookie
And1: 583

Post#294 » by guldakot » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:35 pm

I have Sarr>Williams>Risacher>Buz>Shephard as my draft list with a trade to get Robbie Avila later in the draft if possible. Sarr for potential Williams for literally perfect fit IMO, hope Colorado makes the tourney so we can see him play in March. That said were gonna pick 5th again, take Ron Holland and I will sit in a corner and cry.

Fake Edit-A defensive front court of Hollard and Ausar would be insane, I just don't think I can draft players that project as 33 percent nba 3 point shooters at the 3/4 in this league anymore.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#295 » by zeebneeb » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:28 pm

guldakot wrote:I have Sarr>Williams>Risacher>Buz>Shephard as my draft list with a trade to get Robbie Avila later in the draft if possible. Sarr for potential Williams for literally perfect fit IMO, hope Colorado makes the tourney so we can see him play in March. That said were gonna pick 5th again, take Ron Holland and I will sit in a corner and cry.

Fake Edit-A defensive front court of Hollard and Ausar would be insane, I just don't think I can draft players that project as 33 percent nba 3 point shooters at the 3/4 in this league anymore.
Having two bigs can absolutely work, with one of them being a good shooter from deep.

Sarr is a good shotblocker, and help defender, but he absolutely has to shoot 35% from deep for him to fit next to Duren. Stewart from deep, and shot-blocking would be amazing.

Question is, can he do it.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#296 » by A_dub06 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:07 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
guldakot wrote:I have Sarr>Williams>Risacher>Buz>Shephard as my draft list with a trade to get Robbie Avila later in the draft if possible. Sarr for potential Williams for literally perfect fit IMO, hope Colorado makes the tourney so we can see him play in March. That said were gonna pick 5th again, take Ron Holland and I will sit in a corner and cry.

Having two bigs can absolutely work, with one of them being a good shooter from deep.

Sarr is a good shotblocker, and help defender, but he absolutely has to shoot 35% from deep for him to fit next to Duren. Stewart from deep, and shot-blocking would be amazing.

Question is, can he do it.

From what I’ve seen of him in person, I think expecting him to hit 35% from out the gate is probably too high. He shot 28.6% from the Fiba 3pt line taking 2 attempts per game but with more spacing in the nba than what there is in the nbl I don’t think it’s too unrealistic for him to shoot 30% from the nba 3 in his rookie season.

One thing I’ll say about him is this, when he’s having a good game he is an absolute force on both ends and something amazing to watch. But when he’s having a bad game, he’s straight up bad. He got better as the season went on but he was missing rotations and not making sure he was in the best defensive position kinda how Duren does but not as often. With more experience, the right tutelage and work ethic though he could honestly be a star in this league by year 3.

Also, I don’t think he’s someone early on in his career that you’d want playing power forward. He’s not going to come in and bombing it the way JJJ did. He’ll need to improve before that happens so it would be wiser getting him to play Center, which is also why I think we should trade Duren (who let’s face it will never stretch the floor and may never sharpen up defensively) whilst his trade value is high and get another wing
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Post#297 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:44 pm

I'm honestly not even worried how a rookie fits with the starters IMO if we keep a #2 to #5 draft pick they are a backup starting out. Weaver's not in a position to be starting and playing rookies big minutes at this point.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,858

Post#298 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:58 pm

bstein14 wrote:I'm honestly not even worried how a rookie fits with the starters IMO if we keep a #2 to #5 draft pick they are a backup starting out. Weaver's not in a position to be starting and playing rookies big minutes at this point.

Agreed. Rookies(especially this draft class) are not coming in and being stars. One should be happy if they become starters.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#299 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:52 am

bstein14 wrote:I'm honestly not even worried how a rookie fits with the starters IMO if we keep a #2 to #5 draft pick they are a backup starting out. Weaver's not in a position to be starting and playing rookies big minutes at this point.

Reed Sheppard will likely be an immediate upgrade to the starting lineup over Ivey. Hes undersized and not a + athlete but likely still is a going to bring more to the table on defense then Ivey whos never even averaged a full steal per game since highschool. Hes very high IQ, can be in the right spot, has good hands etc. Some guys have wingspan and elite athleticism but just dont have defensive IQ.

No question his offensive game will fit better with Cade. We need guys who can knock down shots and play off the ball. Esp with two complete zeros from 3pter in Ausar and Duren in the core pretty essential we have elite shooters in the backcourt. Reed is +50% from 3pter in the NCAA right now and the stroke is lovely.

This would allow us to move Ivey to the bench where he can be a high usage on ball guard. Hes just not effective off the ball but not good enough as a playmaker to take the ball out of Cades hands. Ofc we may use the top 5+Ivey to bring in a big time player which could be very exciting.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#300 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 am

I know its KoC and he had Hayes one and is wrong all the time. That said still interesting to see Reed Sheppard being mocked as pick 1 overall now. For sure should be in play for us hes flying up big boards.

"A menacing defender and sparkplug scorer who plays bigger than his body."

"He might be small, but he makes a massive defensive impact with incredible instincts and quick hands. He’s a nuisance on the ball who can bother any ball handler and a playmaker off of it, intercepting cross-court feeds, swiping at passing lanes, and blowing up actions by being a step ahead of screeners"

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Return to Detroit Pistons