ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: theBigLip, Cowology, dVs33, Snakebites

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 917

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#661 » by A_dub06 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:34 am

LondonWolf91 wrote:T-Wolves fan who comes in peace and follows the Pistons with a keen eye.

If we win the chip, what would you offer for KAT or Rudy Gobert, provided you would be interested in said players?

Have zero interest in Gobert but Kat yeah for sure. I’d imagine the Wolves would want a boat load of picks which I would hope they wouldn’t offer. It’s hard because on one hand the wolves are going to be really expensive and looking to shed money especially with the 2nd apron in the CBA, so I don’t think it would be smart to offer all of the small amount of assets we have to go all in on Kat. If Ivey and Duren was the starter to the convo, what would you be expecting for us to throw in?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 917

Post#662 » by A_dub06 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:39 am

GreekAlex wrote:Buzelis 68% FT shooting is concerning.

It’s easier to imagine his 3P % improving if the FT% was higher.

There’s been a lot of statistical evidence to show that as a solid indicator.

I know it was high school but he did shoot 42% from 3 and 80% from the FT line there. Was listening to the locked on Pistons podcast today and Ku mentioned this also, and apparently he’s been saying his conditioning was really bad and he didn’t have the strength in his legs which messed up his shooting. He has a really nice form on his shot which makes his G-league stats even more weird, but yeah it’s still a cause for concern. Not saying I’m totally against drafting him or for, just an interesting tid bit.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,566

Post#663 » by NYPiston » Wed May 22, 2024 1:03 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
If he’s not there, it might mean that Risacher fell.

I don’t look at that as a bad thing.

If one of Sarr, Risacher or Sheppard is available at 5, I’ll be happy.

I might be looking too much into The French Connection but Risacher to the Spurs seems like a foregone conclusion unless he goes top 3. He's a good fit with Wemby and the French thing seems too obvious especially with no clear cut better prospect available although you never know what individual team boards look like.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,952

Post#664 » by ducler » Wed May 22, 2024 1:13 pm

Perfect Draft for Spurs would be Risacher at #4 and then Topic falling to #8 (possible with his injury history).

Wenbanyama
Sochan
Risacher
Vassell
Topic
LaSheed
Sixth Man
And1: 699

Post#665 » by LaSheed » Wed May 22, 2024 1:36 pm

LondonWolf91 wrote:T-Wolves fan who comes in peace and follows the Pistons with a keen eye.

If we win the chip, what would you offer for KAT or Rudy Gobert, provided you would be interested in said players?

What is the consensus value of KAT? What are the Wolves looking for?

I want Naz Reid and jealous of your team. Best of luck to you guys.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,547

Post#666 » by bstein14 » Wed May 22, 2024 1:39 pm

I doubt the Timberwolves trade away a main piece at this point even with KATs value likely at an all-time high and with him being paid a huge contract.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#667 » by Canadafan » Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 pm

bstein14 wrote:One of Sarr, Risacher or Sheppard will be there at 5 IMO. Most likely Sheppard.

Hope you're right.
Sounds incredibly likely Sarr goes #1 though
I hope we somehow get Sheppard
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,342

Post#668 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 22, 2024 2:50 pm

Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:One of Sarr, Risacher or Sheppard will be there at 5 IMO. Most likely Sheppard.

Hope you're right.
If Sheppard is there, and isn't selected by whomever is running the show, and they pass on Knecht, all hope is lost.

The team needs shooting. If its not addressed, prepare for pain.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#669 » by Canadafan » Wed May 22, 2024 2:54 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Hope you're right.
If Sheppard is there, and isn't selected by whomever is running the show, and they pass on Knecht, all hope is lost.

Read on Twitter
?t=JRd58xjFvEeaVh_nYAFBcw&s=19

:nonono:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,986

Post#670 » by Snakebites » Wed May 22, 2024 3:07 pm

In fairness, taking a perimeter player who can’t shoot without regard to how they fit into our lineup is pretty on brand for us.

Best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Especially if the new FO isn’t in place yet.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,547

Post#671 » by bstein14 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:15 pm

Castle plays winning basketball much like Ausar and Stewart coming out of college/OTE but he also doesn't shoot and hasn't shown to be much of a creator as well. If your team had a bunch of a guys who can score/shoot the ball and you need a role player off the bench I think Castle could make some sense but I feel like he makes very little sense for our roster. That said, at least we'd have a players with championship experience on the roster.
Billl
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#672 » by Billl » Wed May 22, 2024 3:18 pm

I was listening to vecenie and he's always super harsh on us, but he seemed pretty certain the front office knows they absolutely have to take a guy who can shoot with this pick. Of course he also said he believed Matas projects out as an NBA shooter, so I guess his definition of "shooter" has a lot of wiggle room.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,342

Post#673 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 22, 2024 3:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
Hope you're right.

Read on Twitter
?t=JRd58xjFvEeaVh_nYAFBcw&s=19

:nonono:
Yeah, I saw that. James Edwards III should be fired for even putting it out there. He knows better.

Just as a reminder;

Pistons 24th-FG% 46.3 (50.7%)
Pistons 26th-3P% 34.8 (38.9%)
Pistons 27th-OFFRTG 109.0 (122.2)
Pistons 26th-TS% 56.2 (60.9)
Pistons 28th-EFG% 52.6 (57.8)

Those are the Pistons offensive ratings, and in parentheses, the league leaders.

Now, defenses have taken a massive step forward since the all-star break, and insanely so in the playoffs. With that said, all of the remaining teams can shoot the damn ball.

FG%-1,8,10,11
3P%-2,3,9,13
OFFRTG-1,2,8,17
TS%-1,3,8,9
EFG%-1,2,7,10

Now, if the Pistons can use Duren/Ivey to land another lottery pick, yeah, do it, and select Clingan, or Castle, after you select a shooter/scorer.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#674 » by theBigLip » Wed May 22, 2024 3:48 pm

I know we need shooting, but I think it’s smarter to draft BPA. Whoever we draft isn’t likely to help much next year anyway. We had better get our shooters in free agency to have an immediate impact.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,986

Post#675 » by Snakebites » Wed May 22, 2024 3:51 pm

theBigLip wrote:I know we need shooting, but I think it’s smarter to draft BPA. Whoever we draft isn’t likely to help much next year anyway. We had better get our shooters in free agency to have an immediate impact.

We’ve already got a group of young players that don’t fit together. And their poor play is partially a result of that fit and it’s resulting in the devaluation of our assets.

You’re advocating for the same policies that have gotten us into this mess.

If we’re taking the BPA and they aren’t a fit we better be trading them or someone else. This has proven an untenable strategy.

I’d probably agree with you if there was a clear star at 5, out rebuild is more or less at square one after a 14 win season. We’re not talking about Luke Kennard vs Donovan Mitchell here, or Stanley Johnson vs Devin Booker. Those were bad moves because SVG only cared about having someone he could put on the floor right away- he didn’t want to wait.
Billl
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#676 » by Billl » Wed May 22, 2024 4:06 pm

theBigLip wrote:I know we need shooting, but I think it’s smarter to draft BPA. Whoever we draft isn’t likely to help much next year anyway. We had better get our shooters in free agency to have an immediate impact.

BPA - but you have to consider tiers. Most people think the draft is pretty flat at #5. Within that tier, you sure as hell better be considering fit with Cade at least.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 125

Post#677 » by SuperBad » Wed May 22, 2024 4:21 pm

I think most years you take Bpa, but if there is not players projecting to be a sure hit, you might as well go after the high end role player type that fit. We need everything really, but from what I’ve read Gnecht is pretty NBA shooter/defender already even though could turn out to be the 7-8 best player 7 years from now, he’d probably be top three for the next three, we’re still going to be competing for the lottery next year, and all these guys are just pieces for a trade until we start winning.(Beside Cade)
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#678 » by Canadafan » Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pm

Snakebites wrote:

We’ve already got a group of young players that don’t fit together. And their poor play is partially a result of that fit and it’s resulting in the devaluation of our assets.

You’re advocating for the same policies that have gotten us into this mess.

If we’re taking the BPA and they aren’t a fit we better be trading them or someone else. This has proven an untenable strategy.

I’d probably agree with you if there was a clear star at 5. By all accounts there won’t be.

This draft just screams "meh" to me. Nobody we draft is going to have any affect on our team next year whatsoever.

Seems we can never get it right. Draft a shooter(Kennard)miss out on Mitchell
Draft Stanley, miss out on Booker.

I'm not just picking a shooter because we suck at shooting right now. BPA! Fill out the roster with shooters in free agency.

Our draft pick will likely be at best our 11th man in our rotation next season. At our point in team development we really should just hang onto whoever he is and hope he turns into our next star at best or even "starter". I can understand trading it to expedite things though.

Duren with Stew backing up at center. Re-sign Wiseman as 3rd guy or a vet.
We need a legit starting forward (or2)somehow with our cap or in trade. I can see Ausar eventually being our starter as soon as next season but if him and Fontecchio are the backups then we are in good shape. Stew and Fontecchio shoot well enough to fit playing with Ausar. Whereas Duren should fit with our new starting forward(or2)who can shoot.
Cade and Ivey starting at guard with Grimes Sasser and a vetPG mentor type.
I am totally fine using Ivey and our pick to find ourselves a good forward and getting ourselves a Monk or Tyus in free agency.
Celtics have 4 ball handlers in their starting lineup. To me, there is nothing wrong with having basically 2 point guards in our backcourt. Can't just rely on Cade to be superman all game long.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#679 » by theBigLip » Wed May 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Billl wrote:

BPA - but you have to consider tiers. Most people think the draft is pretty flat at #5. Within that tier, you sure as hell better be considering fit with Cade at least.

Definitely need to consider tiers. That’s the smart way to draft - get the best fit within the highest tier players available. Sadly, some experts are thinking there are no Tier 1 or 2 players available.

Regardless, my point is that we shouldn’t expect a savior from this draft class to fix all our shooting issues. We had better do our heavy lifting in free agency for an immediate impact.
TPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#680 » by TPA » Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 pm

Gimme Clingan, Knecht, or Sheppard.

Return to Detroit Pistons