ImageImageImage

How much weaver offer Tobias Harris?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Re: How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#81 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Brunson would have been great, but I think he was going to the Knicks no matter what. Knicks are doing a great rebuild as well, which is why we need to force them to max OG.

Yeah, I don't agree with the premise that we ever had a chance to get Brunson. Knicks had him locked up before he became a free agent. Only other team that had a real shot at him was Dallas, if they'd extended him before his breakout.

Yeah their are still some guys who want to play in the NY big market esp compared to playing in Detroit.

Its the same with OG by the way. I see Biglip mentioning him above and have seen some other fans mention him here as a target. Its not happening. NY went after him already knowing hes going to resign there hes not coming to Detroit. Even if NY will only offer him the 40mill per and we go to the max 45mill per the extra value of being in the NY market where he wants to be at on a rising winning team is worth quite alot.

"What’s next for New York? The Knicks didn’t land Anunoby without an understanding of his own financial considerations. Anunoby held meetings with several agencies this past offseason when he decided to leave Klutch Sports, telling potential representation he was interested in a larger offensive role that would be commensurate with a salary figure in the ballpark of $40 million in average annual value, league sources told Yahoo Sports. However, Anunoby did leave those potential agents with the impression he would be willing to accept a smaller figure if he were to have landed in New York, sources said. And it’s relevant to note the Indiana product did ultimately sign with CAA, which has deep connections to New York leadership."

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-the-og-anunoby-trade-means-for-the-knicks-and-raptors-190440377.html

Good find on the article and it looks like he has a verbal deal already. Weaver still needs to do his job and at least make the call.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#82 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:05 am

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Yeah, I don't agree with the premise that we ever had a chance to get Brunson. Knicks had him locked up before he became a free agent. Only other team that had a real shot at him was Dallas, if they'd extended him before his breakout.

Yeah their are still some guys who want to play in the NY big market esp compared to playing in Detroit.

"[/b]

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-the-og-anunoby-trade-means-for-the-knicks-and-raptors-190440377.html

Good find on the article and it looks like he has a verbal deal already. Weaver still needs to do his job and at least make the call.

The most we can off him is 4 years for 46.25 per. Obv thats a overpay but I'd rather overpay OG then sign Harris. I know some fans will go "hes not worth that etc" but thats the cost for us to get someone. The Rockets are paying FVV 43mill per and I'd rather have OG it is what it is.

We can also tell him were going to give him a bigger role even if we dont turn out giving him a way bigger role. He cant really dribble hard to make him a center piece hes the perfect 3+D player though. He has a injury history as well but is only going to be 27.

All that said doubt it entices him to leave NY. Also I imagine NY is going to do what it takes to lock him in and might go like 43mill or whatever while OGs agent use us as leverage. Still worth it to try to screw over the Knicks at the very least.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,437

Post#83 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 am

People often say money talks, but I think even if we can or do offer more than other teams there are some insurmountable factors. The most pertinent one being that we are on track for a 12-15 win season and seem to be several years from the playoffs.

If you're a 26 year old player in his prime with all the options available to you then you're not going to sign on to be a part of that.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#84 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:23 am

Mr Peanut wrote:People often say money talks, but I think even if we can or do offer more than other teams there are some insurmountable factors. The most pertinent one being that we are on track for a 12-15 win season and seem to be several years from the playoffs.

If you're a 26 year old player in his prime with all the options available to you then you're not going to sign on to be a part of that.

The money talks argument is tough because being in a market like NY has actual real money value due to endorsements over playing with us. Its already known he wants to be in NY and is open to taking less cash. Also NY is a team on the rise while we’ve been cellar dwellers for years. Then living in NY as a rich famous young man is awesome.

I still like making a offer just to try but such a longshot. If anything were just gonna be used as leverage for him to squeeze out more from where he wants to be. It just seems NY knows hes staying and thats why they went after him.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,269

Post#85 » by NYPiston » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:57 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Detroit always has to overpay. Nothing new about that.

I see this sentiment a lot. Is there a franchise outside of the Glamour Franchises that don't have to overpay free agents? That isn't exclusive to Detroit or any other small market.

In regards to OG, he's re-signing with the Knicks so it's not even worth a discussion tbh.
The Pistons aren't finding their savior from outside the organization (not that OG was that guy anyway), it's going to have to come from within, internally, or Weaver needs to make a hard decision and trade a few of the core guys to get a core guy.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#86 » by Billl » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:27 pm

NYPiston wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Detroit always has to overpay. Nothing new about that.

I see this sentiment a lot. Is there a franchise outside of the Glamour Franchises that don't have to overpay free agents? That isn't exclusive to Detroit or any other small market.

In regards to OG, he's re-signing with the Knicks so it's not even worth a discussion tbh.
The Pistons aren't finding their savior from outside the organization (not that OG was that guy anyway), it's going to have to come from within, internally, or Weaver needs to make a hard decision and trade a few of the core guys to get a core guy.

Yeah, unless guys are actively angling to come to the club, free agency is essentially always an overpay. The guy goes to whoever is offering the most money and that means that was more than other teams offered. The only "bargain" free agency contracts are when there is some artificial limit at play - eg max contract, MLE, vet min. Maybe you get lucky occasionally and sign someone the year before they break out, but for established players, you have to outbid everyone for high end talent.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,382

Post#87 » by flow » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:34 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:If anyone needs a massive paycut after underachieving all these years, it's Tobias. Guy has never sniffed being an all-star and has made over 250 million. No rates him, but he still keeps getting overpaid.

Paying him a big deal and you might as well be signaling that the Pistons aren't trying to improve.

This.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#88 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:23 pm

Free agency is most likely a dud this year.

I’m hoping some unexpected team flames out in the playoffs and is the catalyst for a larger trade that can benefit the Pistons with all of their cap space.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#89 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:20 pm

GreekAlex wrote:Free agency is most likely a dud this year.

I’m hoping some unexpected team flames out in the playoffs and is the catalyst for a larger trade that can benefit the Pistons with all of their cap space.

I think it is more like "Free agency has changed permanently". All of the stars get signed by their teams, even if the players don't want to stay long term. Get the max bag, then force your way out if you want. That's just the new reality.

We need to be creative with our cap space, which is still valuable. Trades like you mentioned (flamed out teams, high payroll teams) will likely give up talent to get their cap improved. That's one opportunity. The other is bargain signings. What happens two weeks after free agency starts? Most of the big money is gone. Mid level players that haven't signed will be looking for any deal. If we still have our cap space, we should be able to get a few solid players that way.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#90 » by Rip32 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

The situation is bad when we're speaking on signing Tobias Harris. We've hit rock bottom :banghead:

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,951

Post#91 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 pm

MLE. And when someone pays more, we wish them the best, except against us.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#92 » by tmorgan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Tobias is the very definition of “average+”. As a shooter/scorer that can play the 4 in today’s NBA, his archetype is in demand, but he’s just not that good. Offensively, above average, defensively, average at best. He’s a great human being, big into his off court contributions and absolutely no trouble at all, but he’s just not that good. As a 3rd/4th option on a contender, he’s very solid, but if we try and make him a featured scorer (again), he’s not going to be a difference-maker.
TPA
Senior
And1: 472

Post#93 » by TPA » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:11 pm

The first second of FA, I hope we split all of our available cap space and offer half to OG and half to Bridges, simultaneously. Let both of them see what the team could be with their addition to our good young core. And if we strike out on either or both, at least we swung for the fences as the best we could do this free agency.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#94 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:14 pm

TPA wrote:I hope we split all of our available cap space and offer half to OG and half to Bridges. Let both of them see what the team could be with their addition to our good young core. And if we strike out on either or both, at least we did the best we could do this free agency.

Those would be my two targets as well. As discussed, OG isn’t likely. Bridges more so. But if we don’t get either, I wonder what options 3,4 and 5 are. And also what trades might be available.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#95 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:12 am

The biggest question before FA even starts, is whether or not Weaver trades our top 5 pick and absorbs a decent starter with some of our cap space before the FA period even begins. I think that's fairly plausable because we know Weaver doesn't have time for another rookie to be built up at this point. We are essentially where Charlotte was when they traded us Duren because they didn't want to add two rookies to the rotation even though they had #13 and #15. If Weaver does trade the pick, I'm sure somewhere right around there ends up being a surprising all-star in 2 or 3 years and everyone will look back on it like a **** move.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#96 » by joedumars1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 am

Tobias won’t come here. He wants to win, not help younger players develop on a **** team I’d think.

I don’t think we will trade the #1 overall pick. If we do, I hope it’s for a 22-25 year old up and coming star. I get having a bunch of young in experienced players is a bad idea, but guessing that’s what happens, Hopefully cade/ivey: and duren plus whatver vets we bring in can be enough, but it’s tough being a piston atm
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#97 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:44 am

bstein14 wrote:The biggest question before FA even starts, is whether or not Weaver trades our top 5 pick and absorbs a decent starter with some of our cap space before the FA period even begins. I think that's fairly plausable because we know Weaver doesn't have time for another rookie to be built up at this point. We are essentially where Charlotte was when they traded us Duren because they didn't want to add two rookies to the rotation even though they had #13 and #15. If Weaver does trade the pick, I'm sure somewhere right around there ends up being a surprising all-star in 2 or 3 years and everyone will look back on it like a **** move.

That’s certainly possible. Depends on a lot of things. Which pick do we actually get? What kind of starter would we get in return?

I would like us to get Cody Williams or Zaccharie Risacher. I think they can both be quality SFs. But as you pointed out, do we have time to develop them?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,026

Post#98 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:50 am

I could definitely see us making a trade involving our pick...if there's enough of a market for it.

Make no mistake, a top 5 pick is a valuable asset even in a weak draft, but who's going to give us a relatively young very good starter for it? Realistically speaking? And is that player available for that pick good enough to be worth selling it off? That of course depends on what we get and on how good the players look- there always could be someone who's stock rises in the closing months, so right now it's just idle speculation.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#99 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:06 am

Snakebites wrote:I could definitely see us making a trade involving our pick...if there's enough of a market for it.

Make no mistake, a top 5 pick is a valuable asset even in a weak draft, but who's going to give us a relatively young very good starter for it? Realistically speaking? And is that player available for that pick good enough to be worth selling it off? That of course depends on what we get and on how good the players look- there always could be someone who's stock rises in the closing months, so right now it's just idle speculation.

This draft class is growing on me. I doubt there’s anyone worth trading the upside of the pick for come draft time.

If the Spurs have their top pick and Toronto’s pick at 7, it might be worth trading down for 2 cracks at it.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#100 » by MotownMadness » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:33 am

Offer up the pick for Murray and toss Cade at SF

Return to Detroit Pistons