ImageImageImage

New head of BBO.... who do you want?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,113

Re: New head of BBO.... who do you want? 

Post#81 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 2:21 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/top-candidates-emerge-for-detroit-pistons-president-of-basketball-operations-role-234201256.html

Looks like we've interviewed Langdon, Perry, Lindsey, and John Hammond and all of them are "frontrunners" to possibly meet with the owner.

John Hammond is an unexpected addition to the list. Just no Perry please.

My personal choice is still Langdon TBH.

What is Langdon’s calling card as an executive? Was he part of the Herb Jones & Trey Murphy picks? Is his contract with New Orleans up?

I’ve always liked Hammond and the way he carries himself during interviews. I’m hoping for him.

He's currently the GM of the Pelicans under Griffin.

And yeah, he was involved in those picks. He's just had a generally good reputation for quite some time going back to being an Assistant GM before that. He's a younger guy who seems like he's on the rise.

I'd be okay with Hammond or Lindsey. I'd rather not mess around with Connelly, especially if the Timberwolves go deeper into the playoffs. This offseason is critical and we need someone in place.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#82 » by thesack12 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:52 am

BDM22 wrote:I want a first time coach. Someone with something to prove. So I'd be fine with JJ.

+1 I feel the exact same.

Felt the same way this time last season, and mentioned I wanted no part of dudes like Monty and Rivers. I was told I was "arrogant", then watched several people take victory laps when Monty was hired to that ridiculous contract.

Needless to say it sure didn't take long for the Pro Monty posts to age poorly.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,303

Post#83 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 19, 2024 3:16 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/top-candidates-emerge-for-detroit-pistons-president-of-basketball-operations-role-234201256.html

Looks like we've interviewed Langdon, Perry, Lindsey, and John Hammond and all of them are "frontrunners" to possibly meet with the owner.

What is Langdon’s calling card as an executive? Was he part of the Herb Jones & Trey Murphy picks? Is his contract with New Orleans up?

I’ve always liked Hammond and the way he carries himself during interviews. I’m hoping for him.

And yeah, he was involved in those picks. He's just had a generally good reputation for quite some time going back to being an Assistant GM before that. He's a younger guy who seems like he's on the rise.

I'd be okay with Hammond or Lindsey. I'd rather not mess around with Connelly, especially if the Timberwolves go deeper into the playoffs. This offseason is critical and we need someone in place.

I understand his current position with the Pelicans, I was just curious as to why he’s available. Is his contract expired?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#84 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 3:18 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

I understand his current position with the Pelicans, I was just curious as to why he’s available. Is his contract expired?

Same reason assistant coaches are available when a team is looking to hire a head coach.

Most of the time an organization will grant permission to a team looking to hire one of their guys to a higher position. The Bucks didn't, but it's still something frequently done.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#85 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 19, 2024 3:26 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:He's currently the GM of the Pelicans under Griffin.

Same reason assistant coaches are available when a team is looking to hire a head coach.

Most of the time an organization will grant permission to a team looking to hire one of their guys to a higher position. The Bucks didn't, but it's still something frequently done.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. For some reason my brain was having some sort of disconnect realizing that Head of BBO is above Gm.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#86 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 3:34 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. For some reason my brain was having some sort of disconnect realizing that Head of BBO is above Gm.

Probably because we've been without a Head of BBO for a long time.

Every team is a bit different. Dumars was President of BBO and didn't really have someone with the title of "GM" beneath him. Weaver is just the GM but he reports directly to the owner. SVG was the President and Bower was the GM below him- who basically was the one working the phone under the direction of SVG. That's what Langdon is for the Pels.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#87 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Same reason assistant coaches are available when a team is looking to hire a head coach.

Every team is a bit different. Dumars was President of BBO and didn't really have someone with the title of "GM" beneath him. Weaver is just the GM but he reports directly to the owner. SVG was the President and Bower was the GM below him- who basically was the one working the phone under the direction of SVG. That's what Langdon is for the Pels.

Hopefully the new hire will have a clear vision and clean up all of the internal chatter.

After year one, Gores godfather move of vetoing everything to bring in Monty seems to be a costly miscalculation.

Weaver’s lottery ticket reclamation strategy seems to have failed based on the talent evaluations more so than the strategy itself.

This ship definitely needs a captain that isn’t a “yes man” to Gores.

There are few things that we as a board all agree on, but I think that is something we can all get behind.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#88 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 4:19 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Hopefully the new hire will have a clear vision and clean up all of the internal chatter.

After year one, Gores godfather move of vetoing everything to bring in Monty seems to be a costly miscalculation.

Weaver’s lottery ticket reclamation strategy seems to have failed based on the talent evaluations more so than the strategy itself.

There are few things that we as a board all agree on, but I think that is something we can all get behind.

This is exactly why I don’t want Connelly besides timing concerns.

It has already been reported he’ll stay in Minnesota unless the Pistons give a crazy offer.

Let’s not go down that road. Not sure it would be as bad as Monty, who didn’t want to coach at all. But still. Get someone who wants the job. Who’s taking it because they want the opportunity and have something to prove, not someone for whom the money was just too good to turn down.

Don’t screw this up Tom.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#89 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Probably because we've been without a Head of BBO for a long time.

This is exactly why I don’t want Connelly besides timing concerns.

It has already been reported he’ll stay in Minnesota unless the Pistons give a crazy offer.

Let’s not go down that road. Not sure it would be as bad as Monty, who didn’t want to coach at all. But still. Get someone who wants the job. Who’s taking it because they want the opportunity and have something to prove, not someone for whom the money was just too good to turn down.

Don’t screw this up Tom.

It’s crazy that Gores has struggled to find good hires are built some consistent structure within the organization after almost 10 years of ownership.

With his business background, you’d think that he’d have more pedigree in terms of hiring competent personnel.

It leads me to believe that some of his directives for his “basketball people” may have interfered with the decision making and caused this train wreck.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#90 » by BDM22 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:44 am

WuTang_OG wrote:langdon has arn tellem connection it will be him

I feel like Tellem is probably "connected" with most NBA execs.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,524

Post#91 » by Canadafan » Sun May 19, 2024 1:05 pm

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

I'd argue this is how we got into this mess. That would be very Shortsighted of us. I'd hope of he was the best candidate that we would go for him.
In my opinion, and I'm wrong alot :lol: , this draft isn't going to be the end all be all for us. So to hurry up and sign a POBO just for the sake of the draft seems like a horrible idea. Get the guy we want(hopefully Connelly)and let him work his magic for the next decade or so propelling us to multiple championships :D
aad
Starter
And1: 470

Post#92 » by aad » Sun May 19, 2024 1:58 pm

I just want this to be over with so we can focus on the offseason
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,775

Post#93 » by Cowology » Sun May 19, 2024 2:19 pm

Whoever comes in may "reshape Detroit's basketball operations department", but I assume they will also be asked to at least *try* and make it work with Monty. It's just too much damn money for it to go any other way.

Realistically, whoever you bring in will need some time to do their own evaluations and game plan. I'm with Canadafan on this one; take your time and get it right. This off-season isn't any more "critical" than any other and frankly it can't get much worse. What is the gameplan for long term, sustainable growth??

My assumption would be that if we are publicly looking for somebody to hold Weaver accountable and/or replace him entirely, then we should also assume that Weaver isn't making any big decisions without some oversight. At a minimum, Gores should have some type of outside advisor (not Stefanski) providing some council. We just want to make sure our assets remain as fluid as possible and if that means taking a consensus value pick (provided they are able to shoot), then that is what you do. Let the new GM figure out what to do with the pieces if need be, but let's make sure we get the right guy in place.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#94 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Cowology wrote:Whoever comes in may "reshape Detroit's basketball operations department", but I assume they will also be asked to at least *try* and make it work with Monty. It's just too much damn money for it to go any other way.

Realistically, whoever you bring in will need some time to do their own evaluations and game plan. I'm with Canadafan on this one; take your time and get it right. This off-season isn't any more "critical" than any other and frankly it can't get much worse. What is the gameplan for long term, sustainable growth??

My assumption would be that if we are publicly looking for somebody to hold Weaver accountable and/or replace him entirely, then we should also assume that Weaver isn't making any big decisions without some oversight. At a minimum, Gores should have some type of outside advisor (not Stefanski) providing some council. We just want to make sure our assets remain as fluid as possible and if that means taking a consensus value pick (provided they are able to shoot), then that is what you do. Let the new GM figure out what to do with the pieces if need be, but let's make sure we get the right guy in place.

We've got enough time to have due diligence on the BBO position AND have a decent window of time prior to the draft, but only if we don't wait around until after the playoffs are over and do whatever back and fourth would be needed to lure Connelly in.

Plus I don't think he's the right guy for other reasons I've stated.

Agreed on Monty. I think people expecting him fired during the offseason will likely be disappointed. A midseason firing is totally on the table though.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#95 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 19, 2024 7:00 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Cowology wrote:Whoever comes in may "reshape Detroit's basketball operations department", but I assume they will also be asked to at least *try* and make it work with Monty. It's just too much damn money for it to go any other way.

We've got enough time to have due diligence on the BBO position AND have a decent window of time prior to the draft, but only if we don't wait around until after the playoffs are over and do whatever back and fourth would be needed to lure Connelly in.

Plus I don't think he's the right guy for other reasons I've stated.

Agreed on Monty. I think people expecting him fired during the offseason will likely be disappointed. A midseason firing is totally on the table though.

My one hope is that Gores doesn’t pick the candidate that doesn’t rock the boat.

I want the candidate that will reshape everything and be able to take responsibility be he had the final say.
JNewton
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#96 » by JNewton » Mon May 20, 2024 11:42 am

I presume Connelly is out (I don't think he was ever a realistic possibility), but the Pistons can't afford to wait another 2-4 weeks on him. They should be all-in on John Hammond if he is genuinely interested. Report over the weekend said he interviewed well with the search firm.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#97 » by A_dub06 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:54 am

JNewton wrote:I presume Connelly is out (I don't think he was ever a realistic possibility), but the Pistons can't afford to wait another 2-4 weeks on him. They should be all-in on John Hammond if he is genuinely interested. Report over the weekend said he interviewed well with the search firm.

No more dinosaurs, it’s time to bring in a younger new aged mind that will make this team into what it needs to be. Trajan Langdon is that guy!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#98 » by BDM22 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:02 pm

HOBO big board of the rumored candidates:

1. Connelly (not gonna happen)
2. Langdon
3. Hammond
4. Lindsey
98. Hooper
99. Tyler Perry
100. Scott Perry
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 235

Post#99 » by Sheeeeed » Mon May 20, 2024 1:16 pm

I honestly don't see the problem waiting on Connelly if he's your guy. I believe there's no other team looking to add heads of basketball operations, or GM openings for candidates to make a lateral move.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#100 » by NYPiston » Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 pm

Then this whole thing about the new team president having full autonomy is BS.

If Gores is pleading with the POBO to keep Monty aboard then this thing is already off to a bad start. Either the new guy likes Monty and wants to work with him or you just rip the band off and let the new guy bring in his guy. Keeping Monty because it's "too much damn money" to buy him out and thus making him a lame duck of sorts is a waste of time and not how you want to kick off this new era.

Return to Detroit Pistons