If pistons stay at pick 8

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Re: If pistons stay at pick 8 

Post#121 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Chad Ford acknowledges we don't really need a PF, but like others have mentioned, it looks like there are 8 good players in this draft, so we draft BPA and work it out later.

Sacramento and Orlando can both use PGs so it will be hard for us to get Smart (very punny). Like most teams, I prefer our options if we get top 3. If we don't, our draft will not likely change next season significantly.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#122 » by Warspite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

i really like Vonleh and would groom him to replace Monroe who I would trade when he is ready.

That being said trading the pick to phx and drafting Stauskus/Harris, Hood and Payne would work very well for me.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
emiliojum
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#123 » by emiliojum » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:49 pm

jakebernat wrote:definitely trade down with phoenix if that's an option. stauskas would be an easy pick, but the next pick would be tricky. we could go a number of ways. I'd take mcdermott if he was there. that gives us two potentially elite shooters. get rid of Smith, ride out jennings for another year, and go hard after rubio next offseason.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app

The second one is Payne, a solid PF who can shoot and spread the floor for Drummond.

Mcdermott will find some troubles defending SF & PF in NBA
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#124 » by bballnmike » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Piston Prince wrote:
Clarity wrote:The James Young discussion is intriguing.

I like his potential a ton but he lacks any type of killer instinct currently & isnt even close to ready for the NBA.

It seems like Gary Harris is this year's Burke, aka the homer fan boy option. I don't understand why people think of Burke (from Columbus, OH) and Harris (from Indiana) as hometown guys but don't think of Young (from Troy) as a hometown guy. Does the 1-2 years guys spend in college really trump where they spent their first 18 years?

Because a lot more people watch the Spartans and Wolverines than watch the Troy Colts/Rochester Falcons
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#125 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Warspite wrote:i really like Vonleh and would groom him to replace Monroe who I would trade when he is ready.

That being said trading the pick to phx and drafting Stauskus/Harris, Hood and Payne would work very well for me.

Personally I'd be thrilled with any two of Harris/Stauskas/Payne if Smart isn't available at 8.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#126 » by Clarity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm

theBigLip wrote:Latest Chad Ford Mock:

1 - Andrew Wiggins - Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67)COLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-8WT: 200POS: SG
2 - Jabari Parker - Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63)COLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-8WT: 241POS: SF
3 - Dante ExumOrlando Magic (23 - 59)COLLEGE: AustraliaHT: 6-6WT: 188POS: PG
4 - Joel Embiid - Utah Jazz (25 - 57)COLLEGE: KansasHT: 7-0WT: 250POS: C
5 - Aaron GordonBoston Celtics (25 - 57)COLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-8WT: 210POS: PF
6 - Julius RandleLos Angeles Lakers (27 - 55)COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-9WT: 225POS: PF
7 - Marcus SmartSacramento Kings (28 - 54)COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateHT: 6-4WT: 225POS: PG
8 - Noah Vonleh - Detroit Pistons (29 - 53)COLLEGE: IndianaHT: 6-10WT: 240POS: PF

If this holds true, you have to try to get to 6 or 7 to get Smart if you're Detroit wouldnt you?

Vonleh is the last thing we need & Randle would only be the pick if we let Monroe go which we arent likely to do.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#127 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Clarity wrote:If this holds true, you have to try to get to 6 or 7 to get Smart if you're Detroit wouldnt you?

Vonleh is the last thing we need & Randle would only be the pick if we let Monroe go which we arent likely to do.

What can they reasonably offer to move up a couple spots? I don't see them doing it, unless they really like Smart.

If Monroe is on another team next year, which is possible if he signs an offer sheet and makes a stink about Detroit matching. Then, if Smith is traded, or even kept, Vonleh could be exactly what this team needs.

Don't base your drafting opinions on the immediate. Think four or five years ahead. Or heck, 4 months ahead.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#128 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Clarity wrote:If this holds true, you have to try to get to 6 or 7 to get Smart if you're Detroit wouldnt you?

What can they reasonably offer to move up a couple spots? I don't see them doing it, unless they really like Smart.

If Monroe is on another team next year, which is possible if he signs an offer sheet and makes a stink about Detroit matching. Then, if Smith is traded, or even kept, Vonleh could be exactly what this team needs.

Don't base your drafting opinions on the immediate. Think four or five years ahead. Or heck, 4 months ahead.

Agreed that Vonleh is the last thing we need. Even Chad Ford noted the pileup at the 4, but says you still draft the best player available and then work it out.

So Lakers at #6 might be interesting to move up. It would get us ahead of Sacramento. Lakers needs cheap but effective players to play with Kobe. Bynum would actually help them a lot, but I'm sure that isn't enough to jump up. Maybe throw in Mitchell? I'm reaching now...
Clarity
Banned User

Post#129 » by Clarity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:

We have seen silly fillers be enough to jump up a spot or two, who knows, im just thinking out loud.

Vonleh would be 17 steps backwards, i'd be shocked (yes, even with this teams recent history) if they let a stud like Monroe walk.

If we do that, Julius Randle is the clear pick.

You know im all about the future, not right now. I just want to lose the 2 dipsticks & get back on track with our 23 & 20 year old stud front line & KCP. Smart KCP a wing like Chandler Moose Drum would be so much better than this team now.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#130 » by Warspite » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm

I dont think Vonleh is taking a step back. You always need a quality big. I think Vonleh has Chris Bosh potential. I have always been in favor of drafting bigs, signing PGs and trading for wing players. Iam very much against drafting PGs unless its a Jason Kidd, CP3, GP type PG. All of these 1 and dones are projects and the bust factor is highest at PG. I wouldnt be surprised if Knight has a great career but no franchise has 5 yrs to wait for him to mature.

i just dont get the hype with Smart. Knight was more advanced coming into the draft.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
ripchard32
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#131 » by ripchard32 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:19 pm

James Young, bring his ass home
patrol345
Junior
And1: 21

Post#132 » by patrol345 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:33 pm

would detriot consider a wilson chandler plus 11 for number 8?
tbennett5438
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#133 » by tbennett5438 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I wouldn't mind having Noah, if for sure Greg is leaving
I like the Detroit Pistons
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#134 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm

patrol345 wrote:would detriot consider a wilson chandler plus 11 for number 8?

Depends on who's available at 8, and who you're asking.

Chandler had a pretty crappy season. Incredibly inconsistent and oft-injured. If the deal was for #11 and Gallo, I would probably be more interested, provided he will be what he was pre-knee injuries.
Clarity
Banned User

Post#135 » by Clarity » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Warspite wrote:I dont think Vonleh is taking a step back. You always need a quality big. I think Vonleh has Chris Bosh potential. I have always been in favor of drafting bigs, signing PGs and trading for wing players. Iam very much against drafting PGs unless its a Jason Kidd, CP3, GP type PG. All of these 1 and dones are projects and the bust factor is highest at PG. I wouldnt be surprised if Knight has a great career but no franchise has 5 yrs to wait for him to mature.

i just dont get the hype with Smart. Knight was more advanced coming into the draft.

Smart & Knight literally couldnt be more different.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#136 » by Notanoob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Clarity wrote:
Warspite wrote:I dont think Vonleh is taking a step back. You always need a quality big. I think Vonleh has Chris Bosh potential. I have always been in favor of drafting bigs, signing PGs and trading for wing players. Iam very much against drafting PGs unless its a Jason Kidd, CP3, GP type PG. All of these 1 and dones are projects and the bust factor is highest at PG. I wouldnt be surprised if Knight has a great career but no franchise has 5 yrs to wait for him to mature.

They're fairly different, but they're both garbage distributors with a great work ethic that won't actually get them anywhere.

Smart should turn out better than Knight, and by a good margin too, but I have not desire to draft him.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#137 » by HotelVitale » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
patrol345 wrote:would detriot consider a wilson chandler plus 11 for number 8?

Depends on who's available at 8, and who you're asking.

Chandler had a pretty crappy season. Incredibly inconsistent and oft-injured. If the deal was for #11 and Gallo, I would probably be more interested, provided he will be what he was pre-knee injuries.

This isn't a bad move but I can't see the new GM wanting to start his tenure by trading out of the top 8 in an 8 player draft. Would look pretty awful if Gordon or Vonleh turned into an all-star, and Chandler isn't the type of guy whose skills and contributions a casual fans is going to get excited about. Might not be the best basketball move but I think the GM has to take whoever is left out of the top 8 and try to develop him.

And Heisenberg, Gallo does make nearly twice as much as Chandler over the next few years, and he's coming off a scarier injury than those that have kept Chandler down.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#138 » by HotelVitale » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Notanoob wrote:
Clarity wrote:

They're fairly different, but they're both garbage distributors with a great work ethic that won't actually get them anywhere.Smart should turn out better than Knight, and by a good margin too, but I have not desire to draft him.

I'm not a a Knight fan but he's still 22 and he made significant improvement in his advanced stats this year (his PER was well above league average this year). Seems too soon to consider him useless or to say that his work ethic hasn't and won't pay off. It's weird that he was drafted as a guy who was a few years away...but then we all wrote him off when he wasn't ready within a few years!
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#139 » by Notanoob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
Clarity wrote:Smart & Knight literally couldnt be more different.

They're fairly different, but they're both garbage distributors with a great work ethic that won't actually get them anywhere.Smart should turn out better than Knight, and by a good margin too, but I have not desire to draft him.

I'm not a a Knight fan but he's still 22 and he made significant improvement in his advanced stats this year (his PER was well above league average this year). Seems too soon to consider him useless or to say that his work ethic hasn't and won't pay off. It's weird that he was drafted as a guy who was a few years away...but then we all wrote him off when he wasn't ready within a few years!
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#140 » by Notanoob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
Clarity wrote:Smart & Knight literally couldnt be more different.

It's not that he's going to be useless. What I meant by my comment was that no matter how great Knight's work ethic is, it isn't going to turn him into a real PG. He just doesn't seem to have the instincts to run the offense. Smart is a bit better in that regard, but I still don't see a PG our of him, and he doesn't contribute to our spacing at all. I don't think that he's going to completely bust-he has some real ability to draw fouls and play defense. I just don't see him as a PG, and for us he'd just compete with KCP at SG, and KCP is a better fit due to his shooting.

Return to Detroit Pistons