ImageImageImage

The Annual CoachSearch Thread: 2014 Version

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Re: The Annual CoachSearch Thread: 2014 Version 

Post#21 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:21 am

I don't know If I would want Mark Jackson if he gets fired by GS. It seems after one good season hes developed a Larry Brown complex.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#22 » by DBC10 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:25 am

We need to cut ties with the badboys era. Get a new culture going since that era is never going to come back.

As long as we don't get the obvious blunders like Thomas (God forbid if I have to explain how bad he is once more) or another no no like Laimbeer, then I'm good. To be fair, Laimbeer might be a decent coach, but he would've been hired by now as a HC in the NBA if he was that respected, but he's not.

I actually wanted McMillan for this season, but of course we went with Cheeks because Dumars. I can't believe this season actually happened the way it turned out.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

The Annual CoachSearch Thread: 2014 Version 

Post#23 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:27 am

Let's just start fresh.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#24 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:31 am

Sheeeeed wrote:I don't know If I would want Mark Jackson if he gets fired by GS. It seems after one good season hes developed a Larry Brown complex.

I agree. He's burning up his assistant coaches.

And really, his team has been good, but not great considering the amount of talent that team has. Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Lee and Bogut. That's one of the best starting 5 in the league, and yet they're in the lower half of the playoffs and still not completely safe.

I applaud the job Jackson did last season. But, considering the lack of growth Golden State has had this year, and Jackson apparently feuding with anyone who doesn't drink his words as those of the gospel, I would steer clear of him.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#25 » by DBC10 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:37 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:I don't know If I would want Mark Jackson if he gets fired by GS. It seems after one good season hes developed a Larry Brown complex.

I agree. He's burning up his assistant coaches.

And really, his team has been good, but not great considering the amount of talent that team has. Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Lee and Bogut. That's one of the best starting 5 in the league, and yet they're in the lower half of the playoffs and still not completely safe.

I applaud the job Jackson did last season. But, considering the lack of growth Golden State has had this year, and Jackson apparently feuding with anyone who doesn't drink his words as those of the gospel, I would steer clear of him.

Agreed. Jackson definitely has ego issues and the way he butts heads with the FO nearly every time, is very worrisome. Also, his assistant coaches have done very well to develop the players on the defensive end, I couldn't believe that the Warriors defense at times this season when last season, it wouldn't collapse nearly as often.

He's not a good coach at managing offensive sets either, they're too reliant on Curry ISOs and jumpshots from curls which isn't something you can rely on too much in the playoffs.
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#26 » by Q00 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 2:51 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Q00 wrote:If Isiah comes with Laimbeer as a package deal, I'd be ok with him as GM.

This.

This is why people don't respect what you have to say.

lol 900 And 1's say otherwise, tough guy.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#27 » by MrBigShot » Sun Apr 6, 2014 3:05 am

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I want us to bring in a proven coach who has coached at the NBA level and had success. Someone who doesn't put up with selfish, low IQ basektball and can put the talent we have in a position to succeed.

That means Jennings stops chucking up 14 attempts a game. Smith stops shooting threes entirely, and limits jumpers to an attempt a game aside from end of the clock situations. That means finding a way to get the ball to Drummond more often. The dude is shooting 60% from the field after all. Grown men who get paid millions to play a sport for a living shouldn't have to have someone to motivate them, but unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Look at what Thibs does for Chicago...we need someone who can contribute to changing the our team culture back to blue-collar, hard-nosed, passionate basketball.

If we aren't going with someone proven, Kevin Ollie, by all accounts, seems like he could be a very good coach at the next level.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#28 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:57 am

Despite suggesting Kevin Ollie as a possible option, the Ollie-Drummond UCONN connection had completely escaped me.

"Not surprised, not surprised," said UConn coach Kevin Ollie, who played 13 years in the NBA. "That light bulb has turned on. I think one year of college helped him. He's playing tremendously.

"Having [Jim] Calhoun as my coach helped me," Drummond said. "K.O. (Kevin Ollie) knows me better than anybody. He's watched me play for a long time. He knows I like to get up and down the court. And he's definitely right about this being a faster-paced game."
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#29 » by Q00 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:43 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:Despite suggesting Kevin Ollie as a possible option, the Ollie-Drummond UCONN connection had completely escaped me.

"Not surprised, not surprised," said UConn coach Kevin Ollie, who played 13 years in the NBA. "That light bulb has turned on. I think one year of college helped him. He's playing tremendously.

"Having [Jim] Calhoun as my coach helped me," Drummond said. "K.O. (Kevin Ollie) knows me better than anybody. He's watched me play for a long time. He knows I like to get up and down the court. And he's definitely right about this being a faster-paced game."

There's also the Napier connection. I wouldn't be surprised if Drummond tried to sway Gores into drafting him.
paQo the BAWSER
Banned User
And1: 110

Post#30 » by paQo the BAWSER » Mon Apr 7, 2014 9:52 am

Clarity wrote:Lionel Hollins is the no brainer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you're a basketball expert dawg! If you want Monroe and Drummond here playing together there isn't a better coach than Hollins for them.
wallace72
Junior
And1: 83

Post#31 » by wallace72 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:17 am

paQo the BAWSER wrote:
Clarity wrote:Lionel Hollins is the no brainer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you're a basketball expert dawg! If you want Monroe and Drummond here playing together there isn't a better coach than Hollins for them.

*Rasheed asst-coach for the bigs,Billups asst-coach for the guards :D
paQo the BAWSER
Banned User
And1: 110

Post#32 » by paQo the BAWSER » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:32 am

Ok, I just understand you Clarity, sorry for this time, you mean that Hollins was the first and obvious option. I got so much hate on you but you make me upset with your inconditional hate on Smith. At least, we agree on something, we both hate Jennings :lol:
ThirdMan
Junior
And1: 125

Post#33 » by ThirdMan » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:27 pm

Pharaoh wrote:JVG & SVG as VP, GM & Coach.

SVG is open to all the analytical stuff despite questioning some of the context.

I would not be opposed to handing the keys to the kingdom to two of the best basketball minds around. I just don't think Gores would relinquish that much control. I don't even know if the Van Gundys would accept even if we did make that kind of offer.
Joining CGC's "#GetJeffGreen" bandwagon
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#34 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:36 pm

Q00 wrote:There's also the Napier connection. I wouldn't be surprised if Drummond tried to sway Gores into drafting him.

I can't imagine Drummond would be an advocate for drafting a guy who would barely pass to him when he was at UConn, and was at least partially responsible for him slipping down the draft boards.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#35 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:37 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:JVG & SVG as VP, GM & Coach.

SVG is open to all the analytical stuff despite questioning some of the context.

I would not be opposed to handing the keys to the kingdom to two of the best basketball minds around. I just don't think Gores would relinquish that much control. I don't even know if the Van Gundys would accept even if we did make that kind of offer.

We're going to find out! If the next GM comes in, and is basically making "Dumars-moves", we'll get confirmation that Gores is a catalyst for this team's continuing mediocrity.
jaredtyshaf
Junior
And1: 33

Post#36 » by jaredtyshaf » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:43 pm

General Manager: Some Assistant GM from a successful team.... (Schlenk, Zarren, Pritchard, etc...)
Head Coach: Lionel Hollins
Assistants: Rasheed and Chauncey
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#37 » by Clarity » Mon Apr 7, 2014 4:12 pm

paQo the BAWSER wrote:Ok, I just understand you Clarity, sorry for this time, you mean that Hollins was the first and obvious option. I got so much hate on you but you make me upset with your inconditional hate on Smith. At least, we agree on something, we both hate Jennings :lol:

Unconditional truth*

You couldn't find anything i've said on here that isn't backed up by facts.

Q00 wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:
Q00 wrote:If Isiah comes with Laimbeer as a package deal, I'd be ok with him as GM.

This.

This is why people don't respect what you have to say.

lol 900 And 1's say otherwise, tough guy.

lol, maybe the funniest thing you have said on here..

& you once said we were 11-0 when scoring over 100 & holding our opponent to under 100.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#38 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 7, 2014 4:59 pm

Clarity wrote:You couldn't find anything i've said on here that isn't backed up by facts.

I'll back this up. Clarity, you're one of the three or four solid posters within this forum that can consistently make a logical argument or statement. I may not always agree with you, but I can always see your line of reasoning.
Clarity
Banned User
And1: 843

Post#39 » by Clarity » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:20 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Clarity wrote:You couldn't find anything i've said on here that isn't backed up by facts.

I'll back this up. Clarity, you're one of the three or four solid posters within this forum that can consistently make a logical argument or statement. I may not always agree with you, but I can always see your line of reasoning.

The feeling is mutual bro.

We have disagreed many times but its always a logical discussion based on facts not fluff.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#40 » by kurtis48239 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:48 pm

I still want lambier to get a chance,for all the guys on here clamoring for a HC that would hold players accountable and chew guys out for being lazy or shooting to much,then bills your man.I havent seen 1 credible fact to prove that bill is a hot head when it concerns his players.If you go back and read interviews from his wnba days,all his players have nothing but good things to say about him,kevin love had nothing but good things to say about him and gave him alot of credit for improving his game.I think the myth of bill being an **** and hard to get along with perpetuated from his playing days,but even then he was a great teammate,just wa an ass to the other team,which might be were all this comes from.Kinda like isiah and how he was blackballed from the allstar game and other stars didnt have his back.I think the safe play would be to hire hollins,but if for whatever reason some team hires him 1 day after the season ends and det loses out on him,then I think lambier should be the next guy up,I think his earned his chance.

Return to Detroit Pistons