ImageImageImage

Has Josh Smith played his last game for the Pistons?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Yes
33%
No
50%
Unsure
18%

Total votes: 40

Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#1 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 am

It looks like Josh Smith might not play again this season due to knee tendinitis.

But the real issue is, will he be gone after this season?

I think the answer is yes. Dumars will be stepping aside soon, and the new GM's first priority will be to fix the big three logjam. Drummond is obviously staying, all reports indicate that Monroe is a valued piece for our team which leaves Josh as the odd man out.

I could see a trade after the FA period when all the pieces have fallen into place. The new GM will manage to get Josh to a team like Phoenix or Cleveland with cap space who missed out on the big names but want to try make a push for the playoffs. We'll get an expiring/minor asset in the deal, but ultimately it will end up being addition by subtraction (ala Rudy Gay trade).

Thoughts?
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Re: Has Josh Smith played his last game for the Pistons? 

Post#2 » by Neptune » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:12 pm

I wish we had a "not sure" option on the top.

Just like I said before the trade deadline, we're not trading Smith for expirings or trash players. I think it's a 50/50 percent chance Smith is traded. If he is, it'll be for a 1st round pick or for a quality player in return.

Rudy Gay's situation is totally different from Smith's.
ARoS
Junior
And1: 390

Post#3 » by ARoS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Can we have a "god i hope so" option...
tbennett5438
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#4 » by tbennett5438 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 pm

I just want him gone, I don't care even if it's for a 2045 2nd round pick.
I like the Detroit Pistons
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#5 » by detroitKG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes I want him gone. It's to the point that I'd almost give him away for free because I'd feel guilty getting "anything" in return for that lol
paQo the BAWSER
Banned User
And1: 110

Post#6 » by paQo the BAWSER » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Actually his value is too low to get something for him, same as Monroe as RFA, you guys need to forget about get 1st rounds or value players for them, 2nd rounds or trash players or average players in rebuilding teams (that last for Monroe) at the most.

If you think you can trade Smith with his horrible contract for a 1st round you might be a 12 years old kid, playing 2k all day.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,779

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Not only can we not get assets for him, but there's no way we could even dump him without taking back a comparable negative piece or giving up valuable assets ourselves.

I wish he'd played his last game, but I think we're stuck with him (and he with us, I doubt he's any happier about it than we are).
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#8 » by Joe Berry » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 pm

alex0000 wrote:Can we have a "god i hope so" option...

+1

First priority for a new GM should be trading Smith and Jennings for anything.
Neptune
Starter

Post#9 » by Neptune » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:13 pm

It's sad that some here have short memory of how talented Smith is at the 4. It's actually pretty disrespectful.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#10 » by rmfc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Hopefully.

Priority #1 in the off season for the new management - Trade Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings and don't even think of bringing Stuckey back.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#11 » by rmfc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Neptune wrote:It's sad that some here have short memory of how talented Smith is at the 4. It's actually pretty disrespectful.

I think most fans agree that Smith @4 >>>>> Smith @3. However, his BBIQ (which is very low, BTW) is not going to improve if he is going to continue playing with youngsters. He has zero leadership qualities. He will not be able to "grow" here and that results in hurting the team in more ways than one.

Time to move on.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#12 » by Billl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Smith isn't even in the top 25 for salary, so I'm not sure how anyone can consider him untradable. He's obviously a bad fit here, but he could be really productive on a veteran team. It's not like he's some injured or washed up player that won't even be in someone's rotation.

Since we'll likely have a complete management and coaching overhaul, who knows what will happen? I hope they stick with monroe over smith, but I wouldn't be shocked if they went the other way.
Neptune
Starter

Post#13 » by Neptune » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 pm

rmfc wrote:
Neptune wrote:It's sad that some here have short memory of how talented Smith is at the 4. It's actually pretty disrespectful.

I think most fans agree that Smith @4 >>>>> Smith @3. However, his BBIQ (which is very low, BTW) is not going to improve if he is going to continue playing with youngsters. He has zero leadership qualities. He will not be able to "grow" here and that results in hurting the team in more ways than one.

Time to move on.

If fans agree that Smith's extremely better at the 4 then it should be looked at as asinine that someone would think all we're getting is exprings or negative returns for Smith. His BBIQ shouldn't plummet his value that much.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#14 » by Joe Berry » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Neptune wrote:
rmfc wrote:

Time to move on.

If fans agree that Smith's extremely better at the 4 then it should be looked at as asinine that someone would think all we're getting is exprings or negative returns for Smith. His BBIQ shouldn't plummet his value that much.

extremely better at the 4? have you watched any Pistons game this season? Smith plays at the 4 half the time, he is not gonna change his shot selection not matter what position he plays. His defense has been awful at either position too, its just a little less worse at the 4. And thats one of the major dissapointments i thought he was a decent defender at PF, but neither his man-to-man defense nor his help side defense is any good. He is still an athletic player and blocks a shot here and there, that does not make him a decent defender - i would argue his extremely limited BBIQ is not only responsible for his shot selection but it hurts him even more on defense.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:51 pm

New York or Houston are the destinations that would most suit Smith.

Both teams need to something extra and both have various useless pieces in the salary ballpark to make a deal work.

Chandler, Smith, Melo, Smith, Felton is better than what they have now...and with reasonable coaching should be a legit playoff contender

Houston with Dwight, Smith, Parsons, Harden, Beverly/Lin look impressive.

Asik & Amare aren't going to help Houston & New York get to where they want to be either...

So a trade is possible.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ThirdMan
Junior
And1: 125

Post#16 » by ThirdMan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Monroe will likely be re-signed. Probably going to shop Smith and Monroe all the way until the trade deadline and take the best deal we're offered for either one at that point. Similar season record until the deadline and then we squeak into the 8th seed after the trade. We lose in the first round and Charlotte gets a mid first round draft pick. THE END.
Joining CGC's "#GetJeffGreen" bandwagon
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#17 » by The Penguin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Pharaoh wrote:New York or Houston are the destinations that would most suit Smith.

Both teams need to something extra and both have various useless pieces in the salary ballpark to make a deal work.

Chandler, Smith, Melo, Smith, Felton is better than what they have now...and with reasonable coaching should be a legit playoff contender

Houston with Dwight, Smith, Parsons, Harden, Beverly/Lin look impressive.

Asik & Amare aren't going to help Houston & New York get to where they want to be either...

So a trade is possible.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I don't think the Knicks have any interest in Smith, especially not with Jackson coming aboard. They can make a run at Rondo and/or Love the summer of 2015, they aren't going to screw that up for Josh Smith.

I think Sacto is the most obvious destination. They've been searching for a 4 to put next to Cousins, are capped out and have pieces to make it work. Smith for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams works in the trade machine, we clear up the log jam, save some cash, add a quality backup big (we have no frontcourt depth once Smith is gone) and give Williams his 3rd chance. They go with Cousins/Smith/Gay/McLemore/Thomas.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#18 » by DetroitSho » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 pm

paQo the BAWSER wrote:Actually his value is too low to get something for him, same as Monroe as RFA, you guys need to forget about get 1st rounds or value players for them, 2nd rounds or trash players or average players in rebuilding teams (that last for Monroe) at the most.

If you think you can trade Smith with his horrible contract for a 1st round you might be a 12 years old kid, playing 2k all day.

Who is "you guys"? Only one person brought up getting a 1st round pick. And yes, he very well may be 12.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#19 » by ajaX82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Snakebites wrote:Not only can we not get assets for him, but there's no way we could even dump him without taking back a comparable negative piece or giving up valuable assets ourselves.

I wish he'd played his last game, but I think we're stuck with him (and he with us, I doubt he's any happier about it than we are).

As usual, dead on. He *could* be moved, but only in a BenGo like trade. I think he is here for at least a couple more years
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#20 » by sfballa13 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Snakebites wrote:Not only can we not get assets for him, but there's no way we could even dump him without taking back a comparable negative piece or giving up valuable assets ourselves.

Wow, at least someone on these boards is not stuck in dream land when it comes to Smith.

Smith is not comparable to Rudy Gay, he is WORST than Rudy Gay bc his contract is much longer and his best position (PF) doesnt produce his best results.

Who the hell wants a PF that refuses to rebound and jacks up long 2s and 3s? :banghead:

Anyone who thinks Smith is tradeable is as delusional about him as people were in the beginning of this season.

We are stuck with Smith unless some team gets utterly desperate next year for a playoff run, other than that we can kiss trading Smith goodbye ESPECIALLY since there are two huge free agency years coming up and no one wants to jeopardize cap space on trash like Josh.

Remember all you Dumars' apologists and supporters, Joe Dumbbass GAVE UP what is going to turn out to be a TOP 10 PICK just so we could sign this POS. That's why i find it absolutely hilarious that people get pissed about me being "disrespectful" towards Dumars. :rofl2: easy now

I hope Smith never plays another game for the Pistons but unfortunately this is too good to be true

Return to Detroit Pistons