ImageImageImage

Who is Smith's agent and why it matters?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Who is Smith's agent and why it matters? 

Post#1 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 pm

We've had many trade threads around Smith and deservedly so. One thing that comes up in most of them is wondering the intelligence of other GMs and wonder if they would trade for such an inefficient player. There is another perspective that I'd like to explore.

Who is Josh Smith's agent? They will want Smith to be in a better situation and can try to do something in the offseason to facilitate a trade. The agents do have leverage. So if the agent represents 2014 free agents, then it could be a subtle package deal which helps us move Smith.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: Who is Smith's agent and why it matters? 

Post#2 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't know, Lip.

Usually agents want their players in better position to succeed to they can earn a better contract. Smith already has his contract. I'm sure his agent would lobby for a trade if Smith wants out of Detroit, but I don't think the traditional interests of the agent are in play here.

Hopefully he gets moved this summer. I can live with another year of Jennings if Smith isn't part of the equation any longer.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#3 » by The Penguin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm

I think the one ace in the hole in regards to moving Smith is Rondo. They've been close since going to high school together and have said several times how much they would like to team up together. If a team (the Knicks? the Lakers? Toronto?) that has 2015 cap room wanted to make themselves more attractive to Rondo then Smith might be a good place to start.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#4 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Piston Prince wrote:I think the one ace in the hole in regards to moving Smith is Rondo. They've been close since going to high school together and have said several times how much they would like to team up together. If a team (the Knicks? the Lakers? Toronto?) that has 2015 cap room wanted to make themselves more attractive to Rondo then Smith might be a good place to start.

Agree with this as well. Agents don't want unhappy clients. Once the agent gets his client paid (top priority), he will try to do whatever client wants to get him in a good situation. If Smith really wants to play with Rondo, that can only help us.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#5 » by The Penguin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:18 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Piston Prince wrote:I think the one ace in the hole in regards to moving Smith is Rondo. They've been close since going to high school together and have said several times how much they would like to team up together. If a team (the Knicks? the Lakers? Toronto?) that has 2015 cap room wanted to make themselves more attractive to Rondo then Smith might be a good place to start.

Agree with this as well. Agents don't want unhappy clients. Once the agent gets his client paid (top priority), he will try to do whatever client wants to get him in a good situation. If Smith really wants to play with Rondo, that can only help us.

I think that's what makes the Knicks an interesting option. They don't want to tie up future cap room but they can't fully rebuild, especially with Melo there and guys like Felton or JR Smith are likely unmovable unless they are taking back another contract.

I really like Smith/Jerebko/Bynum for Bargs/Shumpert/Felton

That saves us money this summer (~$3 mil), gives us a young wing in Shumpert who needs a change of scenery and a stretch big we can bring off the bench.

The Knicks add Rondo's buddy in Smith and get out from Felton's contract. Assuming they renounce or trade guys like Chandler & Amare they can hit the summer of 2015 with Melo/Josh Smith/JR Smith/Hardaway Jr and what should be enough cap room to add Rondo.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,382

Post#6 » by Billl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Unless he changed from last year, his agent is Wallace Prather. I wouldn't count on him being any assistance on the trade front. Smith was on the block in Atlanta and nothing got done.

Return to Detroit Pistons