ImageImageImage

Spencer Dinwiddie: ceiling/floor?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Spencer Dinwiddie: ceiling/floor? 

Post#21 » by jakebernat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Billl wrote:When you talk about what his ceiling is, lack of elite athleticism is probably going to be a limiting factor. He's going to be matched up against guys where they have an athletic advantage on a pretty regular basis. He has some other skills to help make up for that disadvantage, but that doesn't mean that disadvantage doesn't exist.

lol wut? you act like he's going to be matched up with the lebrons and the durants of the league on a regular basis. i would definitely not call dinwiddie's athleticism a disadvantage, because like i said, he's actual a pretty good athlete, much better than what most give him credit for. in the nba, it's much more about functional athleticism and IQ. case and point, tony mitchell.

this guy is going to be good. believe that. like i said, i knew the ginobili comparison would bunch up some panties, and i can't say that i expect dinwiddie to be as good as a multiple nba champ & future HOFer, but their games ARE similar. the mayor is going to turn some heads whenever he hits the court.
jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by jakebernat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 pm

by the way, happy birthday manu! he's been one of my favorite players to watch for some time now. we also have the same birthday, i'm 21 today gentleman! i may be a little boozed up later so excuse me if my posts turn to sh/it lol
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#23 » by Billl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 pm

jakebernat wrote:
Billl wrote:When you talk about what his ceiling is, lack of elite athleticism is probably going to be a limiting factor. He's going to be matched up against guys where they have an athletic advantage on a pretty regular basis. He has some other skills to help make up for that disadvantage, but that doesn't mean that disadvantage doesn't exist.

lol wut? you act like he's going to be matched up with the lebrons and the durants of the league on a regular basis. i would definitely not call dinwiddie's athleticism a disadvantage, because like i said, he's actual a pretty good athlete, much better than what most give him credit for. in the nba, it's much more about functional athleticism and IQ. case and point, tony mitchell.

this guy is going to be good. believe that. like i said, i knew the ginobili comparison would bunch up some panties, and i can't say that i expect dinwiddie to be as good as a multiple nba champ & future HOFer, but their games ARE similar. the mayor is going to turn some heads whenever he hits the court.

Ugh, of course a pg isn't going to match up with Lebron. There are an abundance of lightning quick pg's in the league right now though. Hopefully, Dinwiddie can use his length and size to help minimize their advantage, but they clearly have an advantage athletically. He's going to have to play smarter to make up for that.

And of course being a good athlete doesn't automatically mean you are good NBA player, but the top level guys have great skills and great athleticism.
jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by jakebernat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Billl wrote:
jakebernat wrote:

Ugh, of course a pg isn't going to match up with Lebron. There are an abundance of lightning quick pg's in the league right now though. Hopefully, Dinwiddie can use his length and size to help minimize their advantage, but they clearly have an advantage athletically. He's going to have to play smarter to make up for that.

And of course being a good athlete doesn't automatically mean you are good NBA player, but the top level guys have great skills and great athleticism.

I personally would love to see dinwiddie and KCP get a lot of time together on the court. KCP's defensive versatility and dinwiddie's offensive versatility make them seem like a match made in guard heaven. KCP can guard the faster, more difficult defensive assignment while the mayor takes care of business on the other end. Man I can't wait to watch these guys develop

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#25 » by Finn McCool » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:40 am

Ceiling: Ron Harper

Floor: Tony Dumas
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#26 » by need4detroit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 am

I think Diniwiddie is more athletic than some of you are making him out to be. He's not Kim English. You will never see Kimmie do this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHAIXtR_LJs[/youtube]
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#27 » by tmorgan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 am

C'mon now, N4D, that play wasn't that big of a deal. He turned the corner well, but that big guy wasn't in his way, he was late arriving. Good length, average at best hops and quickness, and definitely below average for a starting NBA PG. That doesn't mean he can't be a very good player.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#28 » by Brapman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 pm

You can't look only at his athleticism - you have to fold in his excellent size and length for his PG position into his speed, lateral ability and hops. He'll also gain significantly from working with Kander, who'll help him maximize his body and athleticism.

Also, as I mentioned before, I think the real key for him is whether he develops his off-hand scoring around the basket.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#29 » by need4detroit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 pm

tmorgan wrote:C'mon now, N4D, that play wasn't that big of a deal. He turned the corner well, but that big guy wasn't in his way, he was late arriving. Good length, average at best hops and quickness, and definitely below average for a starting NBA PG. That doesn't mean he can't be a very good player.

Exactly. Hes not a starting PG. But if he becomes a rotation player than great.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Billl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:26 pm

need4detroit wrote:
tmorgan wrote:C'mon now, N4D, that play wasn't that big of a deal. He turned the corner well, but that big guy wasn't in his way, he was late arriving. Good length, average at best hops and quickness, and definitely below average for a starting NBA PG. That doesn't mean he can't be a very good player.

You can be a starting PG in the NBA with just average AA. Jameer Nelson has started for years and even made it to the finals, and he's short, slow and can't jump.

It's just really hard to get from starter level to the star level without elite athleticism. Being crafty only takes you so far against Rose or Westbrook etc.
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#31 » by Redeemed » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Billl wrote:
need4detroit wrote:

You can be a starting PG in the NBA with just average AA. Jameer Nelson has started for years and even made it to the finals, and he's short, slow and can't jump.

It's just really hard to get from starter level to the star level without elite athleticism. Being crafty only takes you so far against Rose or Westbrook etc.

Interesting thoughts Bill.

Question:

For this I'm going into the old school archives. :D Do you view Gary Payton as a player who had elite athleticism? How about Fat Lever?

It is difficult for me to discern where Dinwiddie will ultimately fall. I think he's a very skilled ball player with that trash talking swag like Steve Smith back in the day. He "appears" to be a hardworker. And with the videos of his play he's a guy with great body control and a point guard's "feel" for the game.

Can he possibly boost his explosiveness? Sure. Will he make it, athleticism wise, to Westbrook/Rose level? Not likely. Can he be a more skilled cerebral point guard than those guys? Possibly. Still like I said earlier, it is difficult to discern. There's not much out there on the guy other than anecdotal analysis and a handful of videos.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#32 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Billl wrote:
need4detroit wrote:

Chauncey Billups says hello. He was a top 5 PG for most of the 00's, and was average athletically. He did it on skill, BBIQ, and playing with good defensive teammates.

Not making a case for Dinwiddie, as I think he will be a steal if he becomes a rotation players. But, players like Westbrook and Rose (pre-injury) blow past everyone, it takes a team a stop players like that. That's why Drummond really needs to develop his defensive instincts.

I have high hopes for Spencer, but not unrealistic. If he could become the first guard off our bench, that would be a fantastic win for the 38th pick. His floor is out of the league and working at a YMCA.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Billl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Redeemed wrote:
Billl wrote:
need4detroit wrote:Exactly. Hes not a starting PG. But if he becomes a rotation player than great.

Question:

For this I'm going into the old school archives. :D Do you view Gary Payton as a player who had elite athleticism? How about Fat Lever?

It is difficult for me to discern where Dinwiddie will ultimately fall. I think he's a very skilled ball player with that trash talking swag like Steve Smith back in the day. He "appears" to be a hardworker. And with the videos of his play he's a guy with great body control and a point guard's "feel" for the game.

Can he possibly boost his explosiveness? Sure. Will he make it, athleticism wise, to Westbrook/Rose level? Not likely. Can he be a more skilled cerebral point guard than those guys? Possibly. Still like I said earlier, it is difficult to discern. There's not much out there on the guy other than anecdotal analysis and a handful of videos.

GP certainly was up there in athleticism for his day. He was an absolute lock down defender. Lever - eh - there is something to be said for a pg that can lead his team in rebounding.

The big picture though is that the PG position has changed a whole lot in the last 30 years. The current crop of pg's is stacked with some top notch athletes. It's just one of those ebbs and flows of the league. It goes through stretches where certain positions just stand out. Sometimes you've got some dominant bigs, sometimes wing players, sometimes point guards. Right now, pg is just a tough, tough guard most nights and anyone who isn't isn't a top notch athlete is going to have a hard time being considered in that top group. Those top guys just have an extra gear that is pretty much impossible to match.

None of that mean dinwiddie is going to be good, bad or otherwise. It's just that even if he develops into a really good pg, there is an extra level of pg's in the league that are both very skilled AND incredible athletes. It's hard to imagine him ever reaching that level even under the best of circumstances, so that's why I would put his ceiling at being "just" a quality starter. That would still be fantastic for a second round pick.
motorcity15
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#34 » by motorcity15 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 9:31 pm

Lol
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by Redeemed » Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:48 am

Billl wrote:
Redeemed wrote:
Billl wrote:

Question:

GP certainly was up there in athleticism for his day. He was an absolute lock down defender. Lever - eh - there is something to be said for a pg that can lead his team in rebounding.

The big picture though is that the PG position has changed a whole lot in the last 30 years. The current crop of pg's is stacked with some top notch athletes. It's just one of those ebbs and flows of the league. It goes through stretches where certain positions just stand out. Sometimes you've got some dominant bigs, sometimes wing players, sometimes point guards. Right now, pg is just a tough, tough guard most nights and anyone who isn't isn't a top notch athlete is going to have a hard time being considered in that top group. Those top guys just have an extra gear that is pretty much impossible to match.

None of that mean dinwiddie is going to be good, bad or otherwise. It's just that even if he develops into a really good pg, there is an extra level of pg's in the league that are both very skilled AND incredible athletes. It's hard to imagine him ever reaching that level even under the best of circumstances, so that's why I would put his ceiling at being "just" a quality starter. That would still be fantastic for a second round pick.

The positions from PG to Center have changed over the years. And yes there are very skilled and incredible athletes in the league. Still over the years we have found players who play at highlevels for a prolific number of years who find other ways to gain an advantage over their colleagues. John Stockton was not a top flight athlete, yet he is named as one of the greatest ever. The same can be said for the multiple MVPs winning Steve Nash, he's a guy with tremendous skill and Basketball IQ.

I personally would lump Gary Payton in with the players who were not exceptionally athletic. He was quick with his bursts and changes of speed and direction but he wasn't grease lightning like John Wall or Westbrook. Andre Miller is a guy who was one of the better pgs in the league for several years.

Michael Carter Williams is a long skilled player without an outside shot who came in as a rookie and did work against some of the better pgs in the league. MCW is another who lacks the exceptional athleticism of the top pgs in the league, yet that didn't stop him from busting their butts in his rookie year.

Spencer Dinwiddie cannot be undersold in terms of his growth as a player based on lack of otherworldly leaping ability and speed. The game is about leveraging your advantage. If he can figure out how to do that, he has tremendous potential for success.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#36 » by Joel Embust » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Spencer Dindwiddie (knee) is aiming to play in Detroit's final preseason game on October 23.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#37 » by Notanoob » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 pm

A comparison, just because
Chauncey Billups' sophomore year at Colorado, per 40
23.4pts on .596TS%, 6rbds, 5.9ast, 3.5to, 1.65a/to, 2.6s, .2b
Spencer Dinwiddie's junior year at Colorado, per 40
18.9pts on .667TS%, 3.9rbds, 4.8ast, 2.3to, 2.13a/to 2s, .3b
Note that Dinwiddie did not play a full season due to his injury, so he missed most of Colorado's conference games, which would have likely decreased his stats. I'll do a little more later, looking at FTr and including his sophomore year stats as well.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#38 » by Dirtgrain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Redeemed wrote:Michael Carter Williams is a long skilled player without an outside shot who came in as a rookie and did work against some of the better pgs in the league. MCW is another who lacks the exceptional athleticism of the top pgs in the league, yet that didn't stop him from busting their butts in his rookie year.

MCW's combine numbers showed exceptional athleticism. We don't have comparable scores available from the combine. There is always the eye test, though: MCW is at a significantly higher level athletically than Dinwiddie.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Redeemed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 am

Dirtgrain wrote:
Redeemed wrote:Michael Carter Williams is a long skilled player without an outside shot who came in as a rookie and did work against some of the better pgs in the league. MCW is another who lacks the exceptional athleticism of the top pgs in the league, yet that didn't stop him from busting their butts in his rookie year.

MCW's combine numbers showed exceptional athleticism. We don't have comparable scores available from the combine. There is always the eye test, though: MCW is at a significantly higher level athletically than Dinwiddie.

Dirtgrain I undersold MCW's physical ability based on the eye test. Watching him play at Syracuse and in the League, he seemed to be a guy who made savy moves to get into the lane and surprisingly get up for dunks. I had not paid attention to his Combine numbers. Thanks for directing me to them. MCW is actually quite an athlete.

As for Dinwiddie's athleticism, we are left with making the same eye test assessment I made with MCW since we have number vertical leap numbers on him. So I think it may make sense to stop short of saying MCW is at a significantly higher level athletically. Also, looking at MCW's numbers he actually tested higher than Westbrook, Rose, and Wall. Based on those numbers we could say he's on a significantly higher level than those guys, but I doubt we would make that assessment.

Bottomline, I like what I see in Spencer Dinwiddie. I think we have gem.
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by Redeemed » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 am

I like what I see in Spencer Dinwiddie. Sweet jumper, poise, craftiness, deft handle

Return to Detroit Pistons