Drummond

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Drummond 

Post#1 » by treefi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 am

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/dru ... 3169112b6e

“No. 1, it’s a confidence boost for anybody to know that you’re considered at that level to be invited to Team USA,” Stan Van Gundy told me earlier this month as we talked at length about Drummond and the future. “Then to go out and play on a daily basis in practice and figure out that, yeah, I can compete with these people is another big confidence boost. But also, as you go along, you play against really good people and it’s not easy.

“So you find out, I can compete, I’m as good as these people, but if I want to be one of the best I’ve still got to get better. That’s perfect. When you gain the confidence that you can compete with anybody and also understand that to reach your goals you’ve still got to work and improve – perfect combination. And that’s what this whole experience is about for him.”
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Re: Drummond 

Post#2 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 am

This is the only reason I want him on the team,to play against some of the best in pratice and the best overseas.For him to get the confidence of going up against the best and his mind telling him he belongs there,is great.

I am also scared that andre could get an injury(ala paul george) and then this whole thing is for not.Not just the physical,but the mental aspect,that could set him back years..

Best case-Andre comes back MUCH IMPROVED and has a dominating season.

I cant wait for dre to shocase what hes learned and hopefuly his baby jump hook becomes a constant piece in his aresenal,also hopefuly we get to see dres defense improved with smith next to him,then at least he only has to worry about jennings man and his own.Also if he can shoot at 50% at ft for the season would be awesome.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#3 » by treefi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:33 am

What is your dream team for Drummond?

C - Andre Drummond - 20 years old
PF - Serge Ibaka - 24 years old
SF - Kawhi Leonard - 23 years old
PG - Stephen Curry - 26 years old
SG - Klay Thompson - 24 years old
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#4 » by TurboTitan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 am

treefi wrote:What is your dream team for Drummond?

off topic but is Curry really 26? The dude looks like he's 17 max!
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#5 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 am

Hopefully it will be good experience for Drummond. I don't believe that his inclusion will automatically improve his on-court production. I can't recall any player that played for the national team and came back a substantially different player.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#6 » by tmorgan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

treefi wrote:What is your dream team for Drummond?

That team would do work.

Not sure Ibaka's the right 4 for peak Andre, though. I'd want my 4 to be a top-notch passer, especially if no one else on the team is known for passing except maybe Curry. Not sure Drummond would get any shots on that team, as no one passes it to him and no one misses. :-)
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#7 » by hoophabit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Playing against high level competition while getting coaching from an elite staff was the best way for Andre to spend his summer, and likely will result in improvements to his game. I'm not betting against him even with his FT struggles. So far, improve is what he's done. His making this team says an awful lot about his character as a basketball player. Andre keeps acting like a young man who is very serious about his craft. He has a lot to learn, but putting in the work doesn't seem to bother him. There's no point in worrying about injury. Players have to play.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#8 » by The Penguin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:Hopefully it will be good experience for Drummond. I don't believe that his inclusion will automatically improve his on-court production. I can't recall any player that played for the national team and came back a substantially different player.

A big part of that is the fact guys are really good before they even make the national team. It's not like the national team is taking a 6th man who comes back to be an all-star. Adding guys like Plumlee, Faried and Drummond is a bit unprecedented in recent USMNT history. The team always seems to have a guy like Redd or Prince hanging out at the end of the bench for specific situations but traditionally the roster has been a "whose who" of the NBA.

Melo & Durant are just two examples of guys who've talked about how national team experiences have improved their games.

One of the biggest takeaways I see is the relationships Drummond can make with his USMNT teammates. Dre seems to be all in on the Pistons and SVG, if he can get in tight with someone that could improve our stock as FA players for the tier of player who would laugh at us right now.
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#9 » by Moose10Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Derrick Rose went from averaging 7.4 ppg for USA into an MVP type season. Steph Curry also improved after not getting to many minutes with USA.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#10 » by need4detroit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:07 am

Andre's looking a little beefy out there. I mean he still runs fast as ****, but I wonder if he should start watching his weight more carefully and even consider shedding a few.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.

Return to Detroit Pistons