ImageImageImage

Do you honestly think Chauncey is a future hall of famer?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Do you honestly think Chauncey is a future hall of famer? 

Post#1 » by TheBomb81 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:48 am

Do you honestly think Chauncey Billups will go into the hall of fame someday because most people don't think he will despite how great of a career he had.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Re: Do you honestly think Chauncey is a future hall of famer 

Post#2 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:34 am

Yes,he will make it in, in the next 10-20 yrs.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#3 » by Lionlifer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 am

I don't think he will be first year, but I think he gets in within 5-10 years of eligibility.

Dude was a multiple all star, and finals MVP, while leading a team on a great multiyear run. Plus he is well liked and that should help.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#4 » by tmorgan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 am

As much as I love Chauncey, I think it cheapens the Hall a little if he's in.

That said, there are plenty of other players already in that aren't really deserving, so one more that's a Piston certainly wouldn't bother me much.

I mean, really, unless leadership counts a ton, he doesn't have anywhere near the numbers of a HOF-type player.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#5 » by epheisey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 am

^What tmorgan said is basically how I feel. The Basketball HoF is a weird animal. And it's not just the NBA Hall of Fame.

I don't think he's in, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him get in. Seeing some of the names of NBA players that recently made it, I think Billups falls just below them in terms of his resume. Who goes in between now and then will really impact his chances.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#6 » by tmorgan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:22 am

Stop all this agreeing with me, man. It was more fun when we were arguing about everything.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#7 » by Kilo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 pm

NBA HOF isn't nearly as exclusive as MLB HOF that's for damn sure. I think for that reason Chauncey has an outside shot at it. His number will definitely be in the rafters at the Palace though, probably in the next couple of years even. I think Billups and Ben will eventually be the two in the rafters from that team. Rip went out like a bitch, Sheed wasn't here long enough and Prince was a complimentary just passing through type player.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#8 » by The Penguin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Chauncey lines up pretty similarly to a guy in the HOF like Dennis Johnson. I think he'll make it, especially considering he was a college All American who lead Colorado to their first tourney win in 30 some years. I don't think him being in the HOF cheapens it by any means.
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#9 » by Redeemed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:05 pm

I think Chauncey makes it in. The Basketball HOF is different from Baseball. Baseball HOF-ers tend to make it in based mainly on the numbers. If the stats are right and they didn't bet on the game or take PEDS, in you go. Basketball seems to weigh heavily on the players impact on the game or overall contribution to the sport.

Chauncey has seen success in college.

Chauncey finally landed in Detroit where he reached elite status and was arguably league MVP on at least 2 occasions.

Chauncey has won a title with the Pistons and won the Finals MVP.

Chauncey was the undisputed leader on a team that had a 5 to 6 year run at being elite (not to mention he was traded and led his next team to the Western Conference Finals).

Chauncey enjoyed time as a part of the All Star team and he participated in the international program.

Not to mention he was one of the most respected players in the league during his career.

His overall resume gets him in.
haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Post#10 » by haulerch » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:45 pm

As a huge Chauncey fan, someone who wanted him in our FO, and wants to see his jersey retired... No. He was a very good player but wouldn't get my vote.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#11 » by DCintheD » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I don't believe he's a HOFer based on his playing career alone, if he becomes a coach or GM and has any sort of success, then he should become a future HOFer. Kinda like Dumars. I don't think Dumars was a HOFer based only on his playing days alone, his success in his early years as GM cemented his HOF status.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
JHack25
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#12 » by JHack25 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:29 pm

I think he should be. Not really a superstar, but was a great leader and role model.
5x NBA All Star, NBA Champion, NBA Finals MVP, 1x All NBA Second Team, 2x All NBA Third Team, 2x All Defensive Second Team, Citizenship Award, Sportsmanship Award, and Teammate of the Year. He was an All-American in college.
Now there are people with far more achievements, but he's got quite a lot himself. I don't think he's a first ballot HoFer, but I think he can do it.
Andre Drummond Fan
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Redeemed » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:55 pm

DCintheD wrote:I don't believe he's a HOFer based on his playing career alone, if he becomes a coach or GM and has any sort of success, then he should become a future HOFer. Kinda like Dumars. I don't think Dumars was a HOFer based only on his playing days alone, his success in his early years as GM cemented his HOF status.

Really? I'm surprised that you don't think that Dumars play merited a place in the HOF? He was like one of the very few players capable of doing something that resembled guarding Jordan. I think his defense alone warrants a place. But that's me...

You are entitled to your opinion. I'm just a bit surprised.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#14 » by TurboTitan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm

100%. Finals MVP's are likely to get in, in addition to that Billups's career was great
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#15 » by Warspite » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:24 pm

TheBomb81 wrote:Do you honestly think Chauncey Billups will go into the hall of fame someday because most people don't think he will despite how great of a career he had.

On RealGM he is a god...

Im debating with posters on the PC forum that Billups wasnt better than Isiah Thomas.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#16 » by DCintheD » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55 am

Redeemed wrote:
DCintheD wrote:I don't believe he's a HOFer based on his playing career alone, if he becomes a coach or GM and has any sort of success, then he should become a future HOFer. Kinda like Dumars. I don't think Dumars was a HOFer based only on his playing days alone, his success in his early years as GM cemented his HOF status.

Really? I'm surprised that you don't think that Dumars play merited a place in the HOF? He was like one of the very few players capable of doing something that resembled guarding Jordan. I think his defense alone warrants a place. But that's me...

I'm wrong, I underestimated Joe D's playing career, but I do believe his early GM days played a factor.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#17 » by tmorgan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:49 am

Warspite wrote:
On RealGM he is a god...

Im debating with posters on the PC forum that Billups wasnt better than Isiah Thomas.

Seriously? Yikes. That's not even worth arguing about -- people that think Zeke and Chauncey are even comparable probably aren't worth exchanging ideas with.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#18 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:32 am

Chauncey is the poster child for the Hall Of The Very Good.

He's a popular-enough guy among players where I think he makes it in eventually, once those players get old enough to be a part of the HOF selection process.
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Redeemed » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am

DCintheD wrote:
Redeemed wrote:

I'm wrong, I underestimated Joe D's playing career, but I do believe his early GM days played a factor.

Yeah it (post playing career) probably boosted him in the eyes of the voters to get him in earlier. I wish he would have enjoyed better success as a GM (another 'ship). He was one of my absolute favorites back in the day.
Redeemed
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Redeemed » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 am

Warspite wrote:
TheBomb81 wrote:Do you honestly think Chauncey Billups will go into the hall of fame someday because most people don't think he will despite how great of a career he had.

On RealGM he is a god...

Better than Zeke?!!? :crazy:

That's crazy talk right there. I love Billups, but we need a sanity check on this buffoonery.

Return to Detroit Pistons