Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: The Official 2015 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1081 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 am

LofJ wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
Kilo wrote:I think Hezonja probably ends up in Denver. They like their Euros and have a SG need.

i feel like SAS will trade up for him

I think Denver will draft Hezonja as well, so I'm hoping we can work out a trade with them. As for the topic though I think you guys should go for Looney or Johnson. Looney is raw but he has the potential to be the perfect frontcourt pairing with Drummond. I love his fit with you guys.

i watched looney and i don't see anything special. Detroit more than likely will be drafting a player that will come off the bench before he can be added to our "core". If not SF's are available, then center is more than likely the pick. WCS or Turner i would guess.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1082 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:04 am

joedumars1 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
Kilo wrote:I think Hezonja probably ends up in Denver. They like their Euros and have a SG need.

Do they have anything to trade?

you'd be supriseed what GM's would give up for vets. Leonard could net them a pretty good haul, unfortunately i think they'll be looking at getting rid of their past core as oppose to future.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1083 » by LofJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I think Denver will draft Hezonja as well, so I'm hoping we can work out a trade with them. As for the topic though I think you guys should go for Looney or Johnson. Looney is raw but he has the potential to be the perfect frontcourt pairing with Drummond. I love his fit with you guys.

i watched looney and i don't see anything special. Detroit more than likely will be drafting a player that will come off the bench before he can be added to our "core". If not SF's are available, then center is more than likely the pick. WCS or Turner i would guess.

I disagree, if Looney gets good coaching in the right situation he's going to be the steal of this draft. Bigs that can rebound, shoot from distance, and handle the ball don't come around often.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#1084 » by Notanoob » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:19 am

LofJ wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

With Looney you really don't know what you're getting out of him. He just didn't get that many touches. Small number of jump shots, nice A/TO ratio and solid offensive rebounding numbers, but nothing special as a finisher. Can he face up at all? Is his jumper going to translate into the NBA? He probably isn't going to develop a post game out of nowhere, and defensively he played a weird sort of zone so you can't even be sure about what he's going to look like on defense beyond liking his length and solid athleticism. He's a total question mark as a player.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1085 » by LofJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:27 am

Notanoob wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

With Looney you really don't know what you're getting out of him. He just didn't get that many touches. Small number of jump shots, nice A/TO ratio and solid offensive rebounding numbers, but nothing special as a finisher. Can he face up at all? Is his jumper going to translate into the NBA? He probably isn't going to develop a post game out of nowhere, and defensively he played a weird sort of zone so you can't even be sure about what he's going to look like on defense beyond liking his length and solid athleticism. He's a total question mark as a player.

He can definitely face up, once he puts some muscle on I think he'll be a beast in the P&R with his handle and jump shot. How well his outside shooting will translate is definitely a question mark, but even at slightly less than 2 attempts a game 40% isn't a bad stat at all for a young big.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#1086 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:30 am

Thank you johnson.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#1087 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:32 am

DBC10 wrote:Mm, and Hezonja declares...might be the only guy that has potential to win both the dunk contest and 3 point challenge. Per twitter.

I dont see him wining the dunk contest.
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#1088 » by Notanoob » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:38 am

LofJ wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
LofJ wrote:

He can definitely face up, once he puts some muscle on I think he'll be a beast in the P&R with his handle and jump shot. How well his outside shooting will translate is definitely a question mark, but even at slightly less than 2 attempts a game 40% isn't a bad stat at all for a young big.

Beyond being smart and having a good body I just didn't see enough of him to on either end to expect anything from him. Too hard to evaluate with limited touches on offense and the zone defensive system. He could be anything in the NBA, no idea where his ceiling or floor really is. Only thing I feel confident in saying is that he'll get a second contract, he should be something with his tools and IQ.
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#1089 » by Notanoob » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:40 am

kurtis48239 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:Mm, and Hezonja declares...might be the only guy that has potential to win both the dunk contest and 3 point challenge. Per twitter.

I dont see him wining the dunk contest.

Look him up on youtube, he's a pretty good dunker. Given that the best dunkers don't always show up he could easily win it, and he seems like the kind of guy who'd want to show off and win one of those.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#1090 » by vic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:56 am

Notanoob wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

A talented, Sized, skilled top rated hs player stuck in a bad NCAA situation is called "best opportunity available"

There's a lot of good ones in this draft and I do think Looney is one of them.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#1091 » by whitehops » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 am

theBigLip wrote:I do like to pick for fit, but BPA is always the way to go. We've discussed this before - you group players in tiers, and you always go for the player in the highest tier that is still available. If you have two players in the same tier that are available, then you can pick for position.

I'm sure SVG isn't think the draft is going to save our team next year. A few key free agents/trades will have a much bigger effect. But long term, a good draft pick will eventually have an impact.

I agree with you - to a certain extent.

there has to be some way the player will fit on your roster. for example, if okafor was the clear BPA at our pick would we take him even though we are committed Drummond? we'd just have the same situation we've had for the past few years with drumroe. going BPA in this case would likely set us back.

other than rare situations like that I agree with you. especially since the draft is before free agency you can draft BPA and then fill in the cracks with mid-level free agents.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#1092 » by whitehops » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:24 am

and by the way, after the combine this I plan to do what I did with the NFL prospects this year. I take all the combine stats and standardize them so you can directly compare how athletic the players are. it's the same type of thing that you see in the SPARQ scores.

I must say, I hate this. playoffs are in full swing yet i'm focusing on the draft WAY more. we better make the playoffs next year!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#1093 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 am

Stanley Johnson gets into a car wreck 1 hr after declaring.
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#1094 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 am

MotownMadness wrote:Stanley Johnson gets into a car wreck 1 hr after declaring.

Dude dont even kid !
kurtis48239
General Manager

Post#1095 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:41 am

kurtis48239 wrote:

Dude dont even kid !

He was in an accident but hes fine,it was alittle fender bender.,you had me worried for a min lol.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1096 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 am

LofJ wrote:
I disagree, if Looney gets good coaching in the right situation he's going to be the steal of this draft. Bigs that can rebound, shoot from distance, and handle the ball don't come around often.

His shot release is too slow, he needs to add weight, and he's not really bringing anything than outside shooting. He can handle the ball much like Austin Daye handled the ball. Decent but not entirely elite. if we were outside the top 10, i'd take a serious look at him. He really reminds me of Thaddeaus young with a better looking shot
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Post#1097 » by aad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 am

Glad that hes ok
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1098 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 am

LofJ wrote:

He barely got touches in college, he needs to put on quite a bit of muscle and being a "beast" in the PnR is not automatic. He's handles aren't that great as your indicating and he's more a spot up shooter than a player that can create for himself. There will be better players with more range or upside at #8. i'd consider looney at 11th+ pick.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1099 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:52 am

Notanoob wrote:With Looney you really don't know what you're getting out of him. He just didn't get that many touches. Small number of jump shots, nice A/TO ratio and solid offensive rebounding numbers, but nothing special as a finisher. Can he face up at all? Is his jumper going to translate into the NBA? He probably isn't going to develop a post game out of nowhere, and defensively he played a weird sort of zone so you can't even be sure about what he's going to look like on defense beyond liking his length and solid athleticism. He's a total question mark as a player.

exactly, the only real thing the kids got going for him is his KD comparison's out of HS, and i think those are quite laughable. He looks nothing like KD. There are way to many questions marks about looney to justify picking him in the top 10.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#1100 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:54 am

kurtis48239 wrote:
kurtis48239 wrote:

Dude dont even kid !

He was in an accident but hes fine,it was alittle fender bender.,you had me worried for a min lol.

Good, I couldn't find the details of it. Was just starting to see some tweets and such.

Return to Detroit Pistons