ImageImageImage

Josh Smith 2014-2015

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Re: Josh Smith 2014-2015 

Post#21 » by DCintheD » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I like Charlie V more than I like Smith. that's saying a lot...
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#22 » by DetroitSho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Laimbeer wrote:He's a mixed bag. He's playing good defense and averaging 8 boards, 4 assists, and 2 blocks per 36. His shot selection and FG% are maddening, but he's shooting at the same clip as KCP. I think they're both suffering from the fact they are better off as the third or fourth scoring options but are often the first or second. It would be best if Smith played less at the three, but it's on SVG when he is there. He needs to play a Marion or Faried type of role.

Smith, KCP and the Pistons would benefit enormously from a bonafide first scoring option on the perimeter.

At no point has Josh Smith been ever deemed a #1 scoring option by anybody other than Josh Smith. I don't understand this commentary. Being brought in here by Joe D to be an "impact" player is not the same as being brought in to be a #1 option. After watching Greg Monroe abuse anybody standing in his way this season, there's zero reason for Smith to ever call for the ball while Greg is on the court.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#23 » by Pharaoh » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 am

At his best Smith was a 3rd option behind Johnson and Horford who were really 1a & 1b in Atlanta's offense.

In order for Smith to be at his best we really need to have Monroe and Jennings rolling at the same time.

This would allow KCP to settle in as the 4th option with Drummond as the 5th...

That assumes we care about winning games and making the playoffs!

The more I see of our games the more I think SVG couldn't care less about wins - he's trying to do a lot of things but going all out to win games just isn't high on his priority list

And I'll back that all season long

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#24 » by Han Solo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:10 pm

In SVG We Trust
Starter
And1: 1,399

Post#25 » by In SVG We Trust » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:10 am

I never ever have seen a guy hurting a team in the way this terrorist of basketball did it. It wasn't only lose games, it was he's that guy who really can make you hate basketball.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#26 » by chrbal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:14 am

You're comparing Josh Smith to a Terrorist, and bringing up an old thread. This thread SHOULD get locked in 3....2...
In SVG We Trust
Starter

Post#27 » by In SVG We Trust » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 am

I was digging into the forum to recognize what idea of basketball and preferences have you and the other guys here. But if I've done something illegal I'm sorry, I will not to bring up a old post again.
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

Post#28 » by gusman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:06 am

No. You are right, Josh smith destroyed this team in a short amount of time and svg fixed it an even shorter amount of time by cutting him. I just felt like Joe did what he could to save his job. I did not like any of Joes signings starting with rodney Stuckey.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:26 am

In SVG We Trust wrote:I never ever have seen a guy hurting a team in the way this terrorist of basketball did it. It wasn't only lose games, it was he's that guy who really can make you hate basketball.

i absolutely disagree. Part of the problem was that

1.) We paid Smith to be our #1 guy, and he isn't a number #1 player.
2.) Scheme wise he was not a compliment to moose or Dre or the system
3.) we currently had moose and DRE so we compounded the problem by making him a SF just to have him on the court
4.) From what has been said and not said about Smith time here, he was a absolute professional, put in the work, wasn't a lockeroom problem (despite the losing environment) and did everything that was asked of him.

So in other words, Smiths failure was on our FO ,Coach and Smith. I truly put a ton of value in his professionalism as our organization situation has been horrid and for a player with Smiths rep, shows real maturity.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#30 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:11 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
In SVG We Trust wrote:I never ever have seen a guy hurting a team in the way this terrorist of basketball did it. It wasn't only lose games, it was he's that guy who really can make you hate basketball.

3.) we currently had moose and DRE so we compounded the problem by making him a SF just to have him on the court
4.) From what has been said and not said about Smith time here, he was a absolute professional, put in the work, wasn't a lockeroom problem (despite the losing environment) and did everything that was asked of him.

So in other words, Smiths failure was on our FO ,Coach and Smith. I truly put a ton of value in his professionalism as our organization situation has been horrid and for a player with Smiths rep, shows real maturity.

Eh, kinda. He was professional in the sense that he played hard, but he also had some pretty mystifying quotes. I can't remember them exactly, but he gave the impression, via interviews, that it wasn't in any way his fault that the team sucked.

So he was professional, but an idiot. A professional idiot. That fits.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#31 » by Dirtgrain » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:4.) From what has been said and not said about Smith time here, he was a absolute professional, put in the work, wasn't a lockeroom problem (despite the losing environment) and did everything that was asked of him.

Professionalism? He flat out quit in games--it was embarrassing. It also seemed that Greg Monroe despised Smith (and we imagined other players felt the same, as Smith kept on shooting and shooting).
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
In SVG We Trust
Starter

Post#32 » by In SVG We Trust » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:05 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

I wouldn't call this profesionalism, and I really doubt it he's doing here what he was asked of him.

https://youtu.be/wsqGTqlHrcM

Return to Detroit Pistons