Total votes: 38

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Re: Would You Trade Drummond for Marc Gasol 

Post#41 » by MrBigShot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:30 pm

epheisey wrote:
Come on man...

First you put Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson on all the same level. Second, there are how many wings in the NBA right now that can produce 15-20ppg and play defense well? I'd guess something ~20. There are how many young centers, averaging a double-double in their CAREER, already? I can tell you, Demarcus Cousins, and Nikola Vucevic. That makes Andre 1 of 3. So you're telling me, you want to trade something that only 3 teams in the entire league have, for something that more than half the teams in the NBA have (some teams with more than 1 even)? Next, who were the Pistons best 2 players in 2004? Ben Wallace, and Chauncey Billups. What was Ben Wallace? A DPOY that rebounded well, but couldn't even average double digits on offense. So don't drop that BS that Drummond can't be the first or second best player on a team even with tempered expectations.

Sacramento stuck it out with Cousins when he was acting a fool. And guess what they managed to do....get Rudy Gay, a guy people around here would love to have. So don't pretend like it's impossible to acquire a good wing unless we deal Drummond.

You guys are incredible in how quickly you've jumped ship, calling for tanking, trading of our core building blocks.

11 games in and Drummond no longer has the mental makeup....He's been overloaded with information and responsibilities. Give the dude a break. He's 21 years old, and for the first time in his life is being asked to play with more than just his instincts and athleticism.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jimmy Butler and Klay have both taken huge steps forward this season and have become terrific players. Kawhi is a beast and he'll show it when he's eventually the #1 or #2 option. All 3 of them wing players that can score, shoot from deep, play defense and throw in some rebounding/playmaking here and there.

I don't like the grouping of scorers from 15-20ppg because honestly, 20ppg scorers are usually guys on another level who do other things as well. 20ppg scorers that play defense as well are not common. Guys like that are extremely valuable in this league.

Double doubles don't win championships or playoff series. Moose averages a near double double for his career and nobody considers him a star player. Right now in the modern day NBA the most important trait people want from their centers is to be able to anchor the defense. Things that don't always show up in the stats. Joakim Noah averaged less points, rebounds and had a lower FG% than Drummond last year and yet his impact on his team was FAR greater. Double doubles are nice and all but they aren't the mark of an elite big man. Cousins' issue was always his maturity and anger, not skills. He was already a very talented offensive player from the get go. He's matured and changed his approach/become more efficient, but his skill set was never in question. Dre's issues as a player are a lot more difficult to address than mere lack of maturity like Sheed/Cousins had.

I'm not saying that we should look to trade Drummond, but honestly...the notion that some posters (speaking generally here) still hold that he is untouchable is flat out silly. You don't trade him just for the sake of trading or to acquire someone at a specific position, but he's definitely not untradeable. I'd do a deal centered around Drummond for Curry agreeing to an extension right now without a second thought (would never happen though obviously). Anyone who wouldn't is probably a massive homer. Not gonna comment on the trades that were proposed for kawhi/butler/klay because I think Dre deserves more time to make significant progress, it's still early in the season.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#42 » by epheisey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:41 am

pistontr wrote:
epheisey wrote:there are how many wings in the NBA right now that can produce 15-20ppg and play defense well? I'd guess something ~20.

name them

25 and Under:
Klay Thompson
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi Leonard
Demar Derozan
Tony Wroten
Evan Fournier
Gordon Hayward
Tobias Harris
Tyreke Evans

25-29:
Rudy Gay
Jeff Green
Trevor Ariza
Luol Deng
Thaddeus Young
Chandler Parsons
Wesley Mathews
Goran Dragic
Courtney Lee
Gerald Green

That's 19 players, give or take a few depending on preference. And I left out players like James Harden on behalf of his defense.

Now centers(players capable of playing center) averaging at least CLOSE to a double double this season:

Under 25:
Andre Drummond: 21yo
Nikola Vucevic: 24yo
Demarcus Cousins: 24yo
Greg Monroe: 24yo
Anthony Davis: 21 yo

25-29:
Dwight Howard
Jordan Hill
Nikola Pekovic
Deandre Jordan
Joakim Noah
Roy Hibbert

That's 11 guys, all pulled strictly based on 2 statistics, no in game impact on either end of the floor.

There are 5 guys under 25 that are comparable to Drummond statistically.

Give Drummond another couple years, and then if this is still an issue, make a deal then. Drummond's value may fall if he doesn't improve, but teams will still offer an arm and a leg to get a defensive center that averages a double-double.
pistontr
Analyst
And1: 275

Post#43 » by pistontr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 am

some of them can not produce 15-20 points and some of them can not play defense. butler can produce, defense and shoot. combination of these is very important
lebron, leonard, deng, paul george, thompson come my mind.
Sorry for my poor english
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#44 » by Jstock12 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 am

epheisey wrote:
pistontr wrote:
epheisey wrote:there are how many wings in the NBA right now that can produce 15-20ppg and play defense well? I'd guess something ~20.

name them

25 and Under:
Klay Thompson
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi Leonard
Demar Derozan
Tony Wroten
Evan Fournier
Gordon Hayward
Tobias Harris
Tyreke Evans

25-29:
Rudy Gay
Jeff Green
Trevor Ariza
Luol Deng
Thaddeus Young
Chandler Parsons
Wesley Mathews
Goran Dragic
Courtney Lee
Gerald Green

That's 19 players, give or take a few depending on preference. And I left out players like James Harden on behalf of his defense.

Now centers(players capable of playing center) averaging at least CLOSE to a double double this season:

Under 25:
Andre Drummond: 21yo
Nikola Vucevic: 24yo
Demarcus Cousins: 24yo
Greg Monroe: 24yo
Anthony Davis: 21 yo

25-29:
Dwight Howard
Jordan Hill
Nikola Pekovic
Deandre Jordan
Joakim Noah
Roy Hibbert

That's 11 guys, all pulled strictly based on 2 statistics, no in game impact on either end of the floor.

There are 5 guys under 25 that are comparable to Drummond statistically.

Give Drummond another couple years, and then if this is still an issue, make a deal then. Drummond's value may fall if he doesn't improve, but teams will still offer an arm and a leg to get a defensive center that averages a double-double.

I'm a Raptors fan and it's flattering that you think DeRozan is a good defender, but... Come on man.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#45 » by epheisey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am

Jstock12 wrote:I'm a Raptors fan and it's flattering that you think DeRozan is a good defender, but... Come on man.

In comparison to the likes of Kyle Singler and Josh Smith at SF, DeRozan would be an improvement for us...unfortunately.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#46 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 am

Perhaps, Stan should have given Moose the max, traded packaged Josh with Drum for a Melo or a Superstar talent etc etc.

Hindsight is a biatch. just sayin. Gotta role with what ya got. I doubt Memphis would make this trade after what has gone on this season thus far.

Stan just has to work on developing the talent he has because outside of Jerebko and Moose, the rest of the Pistons trade value has decrease. Well, maybe Jennings has increased as it was at an all time low and he appears to be trying to play D and buy into the system.

I feel Stan is trying to change the system and the losing mentality has been here so long that it is a work in progress.

But, I would trade Drum for Marc Gasol.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Detroit Pistons