G13 ~ Pistons (3-9) @ Hawks (5-5) ~ 7:30 PM EST

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Re: G13 ~ Pistons (3-9) @ Hawks ha(5-5) ~ 7:30 PM EST 

Post#221 » by Ghost » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 am

Warspite wrote:
Ghost wrote:I can't believe we hit 23/24 FTs..

I didnt see the game but to be honest that sounds like a recipe for losing. It says that our bigs arent being physical and that we are dependent on guards getting into the paint.

Yeah, I don't know... I didnt catch the second half. But it's a good point. Smith didn't shoot a FT, while Monroe and Drummond look low numbers of attempts. If you were constantly attacking, you'd probaby rack up more FTs.
Monroe: 2/2
Drummond: 3/4
Jerebko: 4/4

Augustin and Jennings each 5/5.

Interesting!
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: G13 ~ Pistons (3-9) @ Hawks (5-5) ~ 7:30 PM EST 

Post#222 » by DetroitSho » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 am

Ghost wrote:
mus123 wrote:
Ghost wrote:
You just don't get it. Why do you even post on here? Without Josh Smith, Detroit would be a lock for the playoffs and they would compete with Cleveland and Chicago. Without Josh Smith, Drummond would be Shaq already. Without Josh Smith, KCP would be Kobe. SVG deserves to be fired for him being on the roster, he's the director of player personal, it's his fault. Let's attach our first round pick to Smith and send him to Philly!

Lol @ the sarcasm. But fr we need a joe johnson type of player to keep smith from hurting us. To keep it simple you can't look at smith as your best player or your gonna suck.

Well thanks for laughing at my green font :). My first attempt. Lol.
But seriously, Smith at his best, was the 3rd best player in Atlanta. I agree with you, if Smith is labeled your top player, you're going to suck. He's just not that guy. Joe Dumars obviously made a panic/forced move... and he brought in Smith on a huge contract to be "the guy." We see the problems with Drummond already with these additional post ups. Imagine if we just had Drummond and we labeled him as "the guy" and dared teams to beat us. Yeah, it'd be a disaster. Smith as "the guy", totally a disaster, but this team has a huge problem under everything...
There's absolutely no one who can be counted on in crunch time. We desperately need a guy like JJ, not totally like JJ, but some perimeter player willing and capable of knocking down anything. A guy when we're down 2 with 6 seconds left who wants the ball.. but can also create a mis-match or can be cold blooded and drill the walk off game winner. Maybe KCP can become that guy, but I'm not banking on it right now. I want an upgrade in the SF slot, a real young leader.. who can pull this all together.
IT'S a ton to ask for, but that's why I've been so relaxed about this season's expectations.

Can people stop saying Smith was brought in to be "the guy" when it's not true?
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#223 » by epheisey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:44 am

Then who was "the guy" if not Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#224 » by DetroitSho » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 am

epheisey wrote:Then who was "the guy" if not Smith?

Uhhhhh NOBODY. He's just a guy. Again, being brought in to be an IMPACT player and being "the guy" is two different things.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

G13 ~ Pistons (3-9) @ Hawks (5-5) ~ 7:30 PM EST 

Post#225 » by epheisey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:57 am

Ok. But when people say Josh Smith was brought in to be "the guy", they simply mean, #1 option. Which is exactly what he was supposed to be. Regardless of whether you think he's worthy of filling that role, someone has to take that spot. The 76ers don't have a "guy" but you better believe there's a player on that team that is their #1 option.

Unless you want to argue that Monroe or Jennings was supposed to be "the guy", then you can't claim that Smoove wasn't brought in to be exactly that.

I totally understand being upset that he was brought in for that. But that's exactly what Joe D wanted him to become when he brought him in.

tl;dr: you can't have a team without "a guy". Just because he isn't who you want to be "the guy" doesn't make him less of "the guy".

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#226 » by MrBigShot » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm

He was brought in to make this team better. Josh Smith has never been "the guy" on any team, and will never be "the guy". He wasn't in Atlanta, and he wont be here. I certainly didn't envision Smith as the number one option when we first signed him, and by the looks of it neither did most of the other posters here. I expected it to be a balanced attack where on any given night Monroe/Smith/Drummond/Jennings could lead the team in scoring, with Moose being the guy who carries most of the offensive load by a slight margin.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#227 » by DetroitSho » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:42 pm

MrBigShot wrote:He was brought in to make this team better. Josh Smith has never been "the guy" on any team, and will never be "the guy". He wasn't in Atlanta, and he wont be here. I certainly didn't envision Smith as the number one option when we first signed him, and by the looks of it neither did most of the other posters here. I expected it to be a balanced attack where on any given night Monroe/Smith/Drummond/Jennings could lead the team in scoring, with Moose being the guy who carries most of the offensive load by a slight margin.

Bingo, all I'm saying. I'm trying to figure out where people are getting that it was defined and verbalized this to be the case.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#228 » by mercury » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 am

Posters get carried away with Josh being the root of "all" that wrong with the Pistons... pretty sure if he was out for a while the team would still be bad.
Team shooting... one on one players.. finishing inside...recognizing situations... perimeter defense etc
engelbert321
Head Coach
And1: 1,369

Post#229 » by engelbert321 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:19 am

Dre beasting with them lobs

Return to Detroit Pistons