ImageImageImage

Pistons asking first-round pick for disgruntled Greg Monroe

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Pistons asking first-round pick for disgruntled Greg Mon 

Post#101 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:29 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Drummond's just not that great and certainly not a guy you cater the offense around. I do agree that the idea that Drummond needs to be paired with a shooting 4 is what's leading Monroe out of town. Put Drummond with a Ryan Anderson type and there is now nobody who can reliable score with his back to the basket. Drummond is Deandre Jordan and should be treated as such. Griffin like Monroe has limited range and nobody questions the pairing. I believe tgat a duo with Greg as the main post scorer and Drummond as the garbage guy could work but so many ppl are overrating Drummonds offense. IMO, the fans will come to regret overrating him so much.

Drummond is worse than Jordan.

Jordan is limited, yes, even more than Drummond on offense, I believe Drummond has some technique, he is just dumb n terms of creating and reading the flow of the offense.

But Jordan works miles better as that type of Center because he is aggressive, he wants beef with anybody, he will punch his rival and elbow them, Drummond is soft.

And please, do not compare Griffin with Monroe, Griffin agility is historically great for a big man, the way he moves, his ballhandling, he is elite at that, plus an elite athlete, and he is, and always has been a terrific shooter from midrange, the comp couldnt be more wrong.

Monroe could work in certain situations as a starter and make the team competitive, like the Spurs with Leonard and Splitter, elite Forwards defending, especially the pick and roll, or with Charlotte defensive system last season, or maybe with the Thunder if Brooks wasnt the coach and he accepts a lesser role, no way he is getting the ball that much with Westbrook.

But thats it, in the rest of the teams, unless you want your team to be awful Monroe is a BACK-UP, a pretty good one, yes, but he should be paid as one, that is like Taj Gibson gets paid, 8-10m$ per year, never more than that, not 12, not even close to 14, and of course, not, never ever the maximum.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#102 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:The Payne deal centered around players I never heard of might be the best option instead of the trading for a 1st idea which seems highly unrealistic.

Payne is projected to be a stretch 4 type right? I wouldn't be opposed to that pairing him with Dre.

Yea he's a stretch big. Played under one of the legend college coaches Tom Izzo at Michigan State. Super high energy always going to give his all and leave it all out on the court. I think with his "stretch" abilities it would open up more spacing for the rest of the 4 guys he's on the court with as well.

Superdumb as well, good luck with Jennings, KCP, Smith, Payne and Drummond playing loads of minutes for your team.

Payne is a finisher, if you give him the ball more than 3 seconds he will do something dumb.
Plus there is questions about his stamina, motor, and he is terrible as a defender being a big man, lack of strength.

He is not particulary young either.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#103 » by Finn McCool » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Fischella wrote:
Drummond is worse than Jordan. Yep. Thank you.

Jordan is limited, yes, even more than Drummond on offense, I believe Drummond has some technique, he is just dumb n terms of creating and reading the flow of the offense. Agreed.

But Jordan works miles better as that type of Center because he is aggressive, he wants beef with anybody, he will punch his rival and elbow them, Drummond is soft. Like a marshmallow.

And please, do not compare Griffin with Monroe, Griffin agility is historically great for a big man, the way he moves, his ballhandling, he is elite at that, plus an elite athlete, and he is, and always has been a terrific shooter from midrange, the comp couldnt be more wrong.

Monroe could work in certain situations as a starter and make the team competitive, like the Spurs with Leonard and Splitter, elite Forwards defending, especially the pick and roll, or with Charlotte defensive system last season, or maybe with the Thunder if Brooks wasnt the coach and he accepts a lesser role, no way he is getting the ball that much with Westbrook. In an earlier post you stated that if anyone thought the Thunder would be interested in Monroe, did not know how the FO works in OKC. Like you stated above, if Monroe is willing to accept a lesser role... yes, that is possible. He's averaged 9+ rebounds for his career and I tend to believe that anything is possible. I really don't think Moose will get traded, but if he is, OKC might be the best destination, for him (chance at a ring and out of Detroit). I've never taken the guy as one who has demanded the ball.

But thats it, in the rest of the teams, unless you want your team to be awful Monroe is a BACK-UP, a pretty good one, yes, but he should be paid as one, that is like Taj Gibson gets paid, 8-10m$ per year, never more than that, not 12, not even close to 14, and of course, not, never ever the maximum.

Nice post.
BigFatBob
Banned User
And1: 341

Post#104 » by BigFatBob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:26 pm

For the record I only see two posters who honestly think the Pistons won't trade Greg Monroe. I will give credit when it's all said and done.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#105 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:29 pm

I said that if OKC changes their offense and Brooks goes, plus Monroe accepting a lesser role, it might work.

They are not firing Brooks this season, so makes no sense right now.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#106 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:13 pm

princeofpalace wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Pop, your Drummond bias is showing. I know you wanted John Henson, but come on. Drummond is better than "not that great. " And who cares how he scores? He scores just as Efficiently as moose does and he'll only get better. I love moose, but let's not pretend he should be the center piece of this team.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Honestly ask yourself if Drummond is a great player? Most non biased fans will say no. So yes, I think its incredibly accurate to call Andre "not that great". He's been average at best- a great rebounder no doubt but an average defender, shot blocker and horrible offensive player.

He has a shot at being a solid piece in a good team much like Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler but he's not going to be Shaq, he's not going to be Dwight, etc..

For a 21 year old, he is great. Go back and look at DeAndre and Tyson at that age.

princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#107 » by princeofpalace » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Pop, your Drummond bias is showing. I know you wanted John Henson, but come on. Drummond is better than "not that great. " And who cares how he scores? He scores just as Efficiently as moose does and he'll only get better. I love moose, but let's not pretend he should be the center piece of this team.

Honestly ask yourself if Drummond is a great player? Most non biased fans will say no. So yes, I think its incredibly accurate to call Andre "not that great". He's been average at best- a great rebounder no doubt but an average defender, shot blocker and horrible offensive player.

He has a shot at being a solid piece in a good team much like Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler but he's not going to be Shaq, he's not going to be Dwight, etc..

For a 21 year old, he is great. Go back and look at DeAndre and Tyson at that age.

These are examples of great seasons that 21 year olds have had. What Drummond has been doing isn’t great by any metric

Anthony Davis is 21 right now- 25 points/10 boards/3 blocks/2 steals with elite defense

Dwight Howard at 21- 18 points/12 boards/2 blocks with elite defense and lead his team to the playoffs as the best player

Shaq at 21- 30 points/13 boards/3 blocks with elite defense

Duncan at 21, 21 points/12 boards/3 blocks/3 assists with elite defense

Bosh at 21, 23 points/9 boards/3 assists with mediocre defense

Amare at 21, 21 points/9 boards/2 blocks with no defense

P. Gasol at 21, 18 points/9 boards/3 assists/3 blocks with solid defense

D. Cousins at 21, 18 points/11 boards with mediocre defense

Blake Griffin at 21, 23 points/12 boards/4 assists with no defense

Kevin Garnett at 21, 19 points/10 boards/4 assists/2 steals

Andre is at 12 points/12 boards/2 blocks with mediocre defense. Take the blinders off, he’s not great .  Superstar caliber bigs look substantially better at 21 than Drummond does. Heck, Greg Monroe was more impressive at 21 than Drummond has been. And, I'd bet there are more examples of great seasons by bigs in their 3rd year whether they were 21 or not.

If you stop being biased, it will be clear that Drummond's performance this season has been far less than great. You can make an argument that Andre could potentially be great but not that he's currently great.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#108 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Forgot to mention Noah, Marc, al Horford, serge ibaka, al Jefferson Kevin love. You cherry picked those who strengthen your case. Understandable.

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#109 » by Han Solo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:48 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/544911973411205120[/tweet]
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#110 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Han Solo wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/544911973411205120[/tweet]

Should try too pawn off Jennings on them as well seeing as they are one of the rare teams in the league that he would be a upgrade at the PG position. And they can get the old backcourt band of Jennings and Ellis back together.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#111 » by epheisey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Report just came out from Monroe's agent that he does NOT want a trade and wishes to honor his commitment to Stan.

If anything that makes it sound like he's actually giving the Pistons a chance.

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#112 » by JamesConway » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Han Solo wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/544911973411205120[/tweet]

Key points:

- Mavs aren't willing to offer a 1st by any means
- Mavs would offer a package of vet min guys or Felton + a vet min guy
- Mavs like Monroe, but it would be a rental so they don't want to give up decent assets

Fish is as legit as it gets. He doesn't leak a lot of stuff, but when he does he's very accurate. I don't expect the Mavs to offer you the world for Monroe, ESPN's Tim MacMahon also described the Mavs' interest in Monroe as "lukewarm"

[tweet]https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/545017637227753472[/tweet]
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#113 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

epheisey wrote:Report just came out from Monroe's agent that he does NOT want a trade and wishes to honor his commitment to Stan.

Dont believe anything you hear right now. None of them are going to be completely honest about the situation. I highly doubt theres a chance of him resigning here though and I dont see any reason why we should give him a max contract given that weve never shown the ability to win with him anyways. Its just a good choice for both the Pistons and Monroe to move on from each other at this point in my opinion. Hopefully we can workout some sort of sign n trade though by the deadline or in the offseason.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#114 » by mattao313 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Spoiler:
JamesConway wrote:

Key points:

- Mavs like Monroe, but it would be a rental so they don't want to give up decent assets

Fish is as legit as it gets. He doesn't leak a lot of stuff, but when he does he's very accurate. I don't expect the Mavs to offer you the world for Monroe, ESPN's Tim MacMahon also described the Mavs' interest in Monroe as "lukewarm"

Well if thats the case it probably wouldn't happen the Mavs don't have anything the Pistons want but pick we don't need bum PG's we already have two.
Championships
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#115 » by MotownMadness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:33 pm

JamesConway wrote:

Key points:

It would be youre First or its definitely a no deal. Felton and a Vet offer is one of the funniest things ive heard and the phone would hang up as soon as they hear "Raym.......Hello is anyone there?"
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#116 » by The Penguin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:36 pm

epheisey wrote:Report just came out from Monroe's agent that he does NOT want a trade and wishes to honor his commitment to Stan.

I really think he just wants Josh gone. If Josh were moved and we fully committed to building around Monroe & Drummond, I expect his tone will change quickly (depending on our financial commitment). We need to move Josh asap and give Greg a solid 2 months of being the focal point and playing the 2 big system around Drummroe, we can reassess at the deadline if it still looks like Greg has 2 feet out of the door.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#117 » by sfballa13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:38 pm

If Mavs want Monroe they will have to take Jennings back

We have no use for a late 1st rounder
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#118 » by JamesConway » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Yup, I had to giggle,too, Imo both offers would be laughable, but that's what the article has brought up.

Personally, I don't believe Monroe is worth a 1st round pick at this point in time due to his contract situation (the team that trades for him doesn't even get bird rights), but smth similar to the Spencer Hawes-deal from last season's TDL seems reasonable to me. A couple of 2nd rounders, basically.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#119 » by Ghost » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 pm

The Penguin wrote:

I really think he just wants Josh gone. If Josh were moved and we fully committed to building around Monroe & Drummond, I expect his tone will change quickly (depending on our financial commitment). We need to move Josh asap and give Greg a solid 2 months of being the focal point and playing the 2 big system around Drummroe, we can reassess at the deadline if it still looks like Greg has 2 feet out of the door.

Yeah, I think if we dumped Smith and committed to Monroe then he might be willing to stay. If we used the 5 yr max, I really don't think there's any chance he would leave. So there's always that.
With the report that Smith is the only one being shopped, it makes a lot of sense. Let's hope someone bites fast and then let's see where we stand.
It's not like if we lose Monroe at the end of the year we will be happy we have Smith :lol: WE WANT HIM GONE REGARDLESS. :)
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#120 » by The Penguin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:44 pm

sfballa13 wrote:If Mavs want Monroe they will have to take Jennings back

We have no use for a late 1st rounder

We have one of the least talented rosters in the league and lack depth nearly everywhere, we have plenty of use for a late 1st rounder.

Return to Detroit Pistons